TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-05-2012, 09:26 AM   #1
Donbadabon
Geocacher

Best Friends Forever - Pilot - 04/04/12

Saw this in the guide last night and figured I would give it a shot.

I enjoyed it, thought it was a good introduction to the show.

The only character I didn't like right off the bat was the 9 year old girl next year. I had trouble understanding what she was saying, and it seemed like an unnecessary character.

It is directed towards women more than men, but I sill liked it. How can you not love a show where they re-enact scenes from Steel Magnolias? lol

Interesting that the creator are also the stars. Has that every happened before?

I am onboard with it until it gives me a reason to stop watching.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:42 AM   #2
sharkster

Thanks for the review! I haven't watched the episode yet, but did notice this morning that I had set up Season Passes on BOTH Tivos. D'oh!
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:23 PM   #3
David Ortiz
Yankee Fan

In case anyone missed it, there's a repeat scheduled for Saturday.
David Ortiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:31 PM   #4
Aniketos

I liked it, it's a pilot so I'll cut it some slack. I also, didn't like the precocious kid. The way they make this show is really unique. So I'll give it a couple more viewings.

Quote:
The show was created by Jessica St. Clair and Lennon Parham, who are veterans of the Upright Citizens Brigade. The method St. Clair and Parham use to write the show is genuinely fascinating, and it seems like the sort of thing that could work to produce a truly great TV series (if not quite this one). The two record themselves improvising the scenes that will be required in the story, filling in dialogue for all of the characters. They then transcribe that improvisation, then whittle it down into shorter scenes that consist of just the best jokes. This means that even at its worst, the series’ dialogue boasts a lived-in quality that most comedies don’t have.

Aniketos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:10 PM   #5
fmowry

Watched 20 minutes and it was horrible. I like my comedies funny and this wasn't.
fmowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:40 PM   #6
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

I was on the fence during the first few minutes but by the end I had decided to keep the SP.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sushikitten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:31 PM   #7
TonyD79

Wasn't feeling it. Wasn't feeling the characters. The writing method makes sense. It has a kind of ad hoc feeling to it and really bad editting (time jumps made no sense).

I always give more than a pilot, but I cannot see from the pilot what made critics enjoy it.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:25 PM   #8
JYoung
Series 3

Dumped it in the first five minutes as I found the main characters too annoying.
It scored a 1.2 in 18 to 49 so even on NBC, this show is toast.

Not surprising though, like Bent, this is another show to be sacrificed to the lion's den of American Idol.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:36 PM   #9
mattack

This is the show I was referring to in the Bent thread. Wow, this show was boring. I will likely cancel my SP. (I know, I said likely, even though it's bad.. I still like to 'bank up' things for the summer.. Though I should just go back to netflix.)

Even "The B in apartment 27" or whatever (free on Amazon) was far better.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:53 PM   #10
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbadabon View Post

Interesting that the creator are also the stars. Has that every happened before?
Fran Drescher, Larry David, Tina Fey.....I'm sure there are others.

There was a line from 30 Rock where Liz mentioned that NBC will probably be a T-Shirt company in five years. She might be right.....
Old 04-06-2012, 04:04 AM   #11
marksman
ID-10-T

I thought the only part of the show that was funny was the little girl. The opening scene was them trying to be funny and failing hard. It got a little better but compared to a show like bent it is inferior.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:21 PM   #12
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

Three eps in and I'm really enjoying this show.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:24 PM   #13
sharkster

I'm still watching. Have seen 2 or 3 eps so far but I won't say anything spoilery since this is an E01 thread. I wouldn't say it is a classic sitcom but it entertains me so I'm hanging in there.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:33 AM   #14
Demandred
RPSLS Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushikitten View Post
Three eps in and I'm really enjoying this show.
+1
Old 04-26-2012, 09:14 AM   #15
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

I think this thread should become a series (season?) thread since there's not a whole lot of interest.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:21 PM   #16
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

It's still on? I haven't seen one promo or a single bit of press for it. TCF is the place I have ever seen it mentioned.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:51 PM   #17
Donbadabon
Geocacher

Mods, if you could change the title for me to something like "Best Friends Forever - Season 1", that would be great.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:10 PM   #18
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

I dont understand why the characters talk so loudly to each other. Is this a female thing?

I liked it, but at times I wanted to turn it off.

My blog:
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:11 AM   #19
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbadabon View Post
Mods, if you could change the title for me to something like "Best Friends Forever - Season 1", that would be great.
May be a moot point...
http://tvline.com/2012/04/27/nbc-pul...from-schedule/
Quote:
NBC Pulls Best Friends Forever from Schedule

Best Friends Forever does not appear to be forever, as NBC has pulled the freshman comedy from its line-up effective immediately, after four airings.

“BFF Fans: Wanted to let you know that our show is being taken off the air until the summer,” series star and executive producer Lennon Parhmam said via Twitter on Friday. “Hoping to post ep 5 & 6 online asap…. Jessica St. Clair and I CANNOT thank you enough for the love and support of our little show. You guys are truly the best.”

Best Friends Forever starred Parham and St. Clair (who also serves as an EP) as gal pals who had been displaced to opposite sides of the country until a divorce reunited them in Brooklyn, even in the apartment they used to share. The series drew 3.9 million total viewers and a 1.2 rating with its April 4 debut, but most recently mustered just 2.65 mil and a 0.8.

According to NBC’s press site, a second weekly helping of the hidden camera prank show Betty White’s Off Their Rockers will fill the Wednesdays-at-8:30 void, at least for the short term.

astrohip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:53 AM   #20
MikeCC
TiVotee

I watched most of the eps, but never found the love.

These two women are really annoying, I found myself setting my jaw in ange so often, mostly at the abrasive cluselessness of Jessica.

I did laug at a few moments, and had hopes, but I will not mourn its cancellation.

Actually, I enjoy Jessica St Clair's commercials for TJ Maxx and its sister stores much more.
MikeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:05 PM   #21
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

Yc586hcLURQ

My blog:
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:02 PM   #22
Donbadabon
Geocacher

Well, that was fun while it lasted (4 episodes). It has been cancelled.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:17 PM   #23
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

I hope they at least give us the remaining eps (IMDB says there are 6 total).