Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-15-2012, 01:46 PM   #1
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Why Americans can't watch TV shows as soon as they air

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertain...ey-air/257132/

Someone posted in another thread that Episodes is already airing in the UK. It won't air on Showtime until later this year. Then I came across this article that discusses some of the reasons behind it and what a screwed up system they have developed.

I ended up being able to obtain Episodes anyway. This only decreases my incentive to subscribe to Showtime.

I think Doctor Who fans have been left in the same boat since it often airs in the UK long before it airs here.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:23 PM   #2
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101 View Post
[url]I think Doctor Who fans have been left in the same boat since it often airs in the UK long before it airs here.
Actually, Doctor Who has caught up to days rather than weeks.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:28 PM   #3
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

Same goes for Top Gear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:15 PM   #4
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Those are both "geek" shows. I have to wonder how many viewers they are losing to bittorrent.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:20 PM   #5
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101 View Post
Those are both "geek" shows. I have to wonder how many viewers they are losing to bittorrent.
A lot. Top Gear is big enough to spawn Russian, Australian, Chinese, and American spinoffs to satisfy demand.

Dr Who has a large following in the Western world, though I've only seen the old version.

My blog:
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:34 AM   #6
lambertman
Not single!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
Actually, Doctor Who has caught up to days rather than weeks.
And often times, hours.

and elsewhere
Play-by-play announcer at .... let me get back to you
lambertman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:11 AM   #7
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

At first, I thought this was going to be about why American shows (mainly comedies) ended up on video pretty much the season after they air in other countries but have to wait almost a decade before showing up here (the most notorious example of this, in my opinion, being Friends - and the answer, "of course," is protecting syndication dollars), but this hasn't really been the case since DVD came out. What was the last show to have its video release in North America delayed because of syndication (as opposed to, for example, music rights) issues?

Also, this works both ways, to a point. When I was in Australia last October, they just started airing two series - Outsourced, which had finished its run in the USA months earlier, and Terra Nova, which was airing about a week after its premiere. Even days isn't fast enough for some shows; new episodes of Glee aired in Sydney about eight hours after they aired in Los Angeles - the commercials even joked, "Even we haven't seen it yet."
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:57 AM   #8
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
At first, I thought this was going to be about why American shows (mainly comedies) ended up on video pretty much the season after they air in other countries but have to wait almost a decade before showing up here (the most notorious example of this, in my opinion, being Friends - and the answer, "of course," is protecting syndication dollars), but this hasn't really been the case since DVD came out. What was the last show to have its video release in North America delayed because of syndication (as opposed to, for example, music rights) issues?

Also, this works both ways, to a point. When I was in Australia last October, they just started airing two series - Outsourced, which had finished its run in the USA months earlier, and Terra Nova, which was airing about a week after its premiere. Even days isn't fast enough for some shows; new episodes of Glee aired in Sydney about eight hours after they aired in Los Angeles - the commercials even joked, "Even we haven't seen it yet."
On the other hand, NBC Thursday night comedies frequently air in Canada on Wednesday.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:51 PM   #9
trainman
Nice to see you

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
Even days isn't fast enough for some shows; new episodes of Glee aired in Sydney about eight hours after they aired in Los Angeles - the commercials even joked, "Even we haven't seen it yet."
I was pleasantly surprised when I was in Australia a couple years ago to see that "The Daily Show" and "The Colbert Report" were airing only about 4 hours after they'd aired in the U.S., which would have been something like 9 or 10 hours after the taping -- I was expecting them to be on a one-week delay or something, but apparently someone was paying enough to get the shows relayed via satellite ASAP.