Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-06-2012, 09:34 PM   #1
mwhip
All better

Mad Men S05E08 "Lady Lazarus" 5/6/2012

"PIZZA HOUSE!"

I love Peggy. Also her line to Don, "I don't know where Meagan is do you know where Abe is?"

Did I just see Pete Campbell have sex with Rory Gilmore?

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:15 AM   #2
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

Man....I totally thought Megan was pregnant! Oh, well...

I LOVED the woman at the test kitchen telling Don he couldn't smoke in there! HA!

"Rory" telling Pete "You're a horrible driver"
Old 05-07-2012, 08:30 AM   #3
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
"Just try it"

"Just taste it" (or was it "just have some")

I somehow thought that they were going to end with Megan getting the part in the commercial ad.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:57 AM   #4
TiVo'Brien
Multi-year Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
"Just try it"

"Just taste it"

I somehow thought that they were going to end with Megan getting the part in the commercial ad.
I bet she does get the part - no reason she shouldn't. She and Don scored a 10/10 in my book acting out the "just taste it" scene in Don's office.

As I suspected, Megan's heart just wasn't in advertising. She's happy now that she can pursue acting once again, but Don is definitely sad now that he's lost what he thought he was going to have: a relationship with Megan very closely bonded by a mutual love of advertising and the pitch. You could tell last week (after the Heinz pitch, in the taxi) how this new bond between them excited him. I doubt it's something he had ever experienced before. Now he's still got a wonderful wife, but as Red put it in The Shawshank Redemption, "I have to remind myself that some birds aren't meant to be caged. Their feathers are just too bright. And when they fly away, the part of you that knows it was a sin to lock them up DOES rejoice. But still, the place you live in is that much more drab and empty that they're gone." A part of Megan has left Don. Dissolve to General Foods kitchen and a somber-faced Don, making do with elementary school actress Peggy Olson. .........

Pete, I'm gonna bash you over the head with a chip-n-dip if you keep up the cheating on wonderful Trudy. For a second there, I thought Pete's insurance agent, Howard, was going to return to the entry foyer and beat Pete up for me. (I loved how Pete started heading for the door! ) Pete keeps looking for fulfillment, but he's learned his profession too well, and so he keeps looking for it outside himself. The karma of a Mad Man, I guess.

Excellent episode. I wonder if the elevator will play any part in future episodes, or was it just a feint by Weiner, as we saw in many Sopranos episodes.
TiVo'Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:55 AM   #5
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I wondered about the elevator scene and what was going on with that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:32 AM   #6
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
I wondered about the elevator scene and what was going on with that.
Perhaps, since Megan had JUST left in an elevator, the empty elevator shaft was a metaphor for the hole left behind in Don's world at the office.

I really liked the contrast of Megan & Don's Cool Whip banter vs Peggy and Don's stiff and unnatural banter. Great acting to be able to pull off bad acting one second followed up by excellent acting the next. to Peggy!

And I had to LOL at Ginsberg's reaction to Megan's announcement. He's a good addition to the cast.

getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:33 AM   #7
efilippi

Megan just went down her elevator, to happier and hopefully better things. Don looked down his elevator and, uh oh. Metaphor, I suppose, but this makes me think of the opening sequence to Mad Men, these guys are all falling to their dooms.

Pete is such an idiot.
efilippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:13 AM   #8
Idearat

The pitch for Cavalier Blanc reminded me of a commercial for Hai Karate.

I was surprised Don didn't bring Megan along for the Cool Whip tasting. Now that she's an actress it seemed a lock. He must just be pouting over the whole thing.
Idearat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:54 AM   #9
TiVo'Brien
Multi-year Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idearat View Post
The pitch for Cavalier Blanc reminded me of a commercial for Hai Karate......
THAT'S what it was. I couldn't remember.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:07 PM   #10
brianric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina View Post
I LOVED the woman at the test kitchen telling Don he couldn't smoke in there! HA!

brianric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:32 PM   #11
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

So Pete is a horrible driver. No surprise there.

Wondered what Roger was up to by giving Pete the skis and the Head account. Did the LSD make Roger realize that it was OK for Pete to be successful, or was Roger playing a game that we'll see the result of somewhere down the line?

I think Don realized that forcing Megan to abandon her dreams would result in him having yet another unhappy, unfulfilled wife, and he didn't want that, so happily consented to let Megan move on. But I think it made him realize that he didn't really have any dreams of his own and that he's just floundering through life, fairly successfully, but without any real direction.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:43 PM   #12
Zevida
witless and unarmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by getreal View Post
Perhaps, since Megan had JUST left in an elevator, the empty elevator shaft was a metaphor for the hole left behind in Don's world at the office.
I saw the empty elevator shaft symbolizing several things. First, we knew that Don wanted to follow Megan, but the elevator doors opening and no elevator meant he was not able to follow where she was going. It also symbolized the distance that grew between their lives. I feel is also foreshadows that with Megan gone, Don is standing on the edge ready to fall back into his old ways. Megan by his side all day and all night kept him in line. Without her there, I see it only a matter of time before he's in bed with someone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
So Pete is a horrible driver. No surprise there.
Well he did only just learn how to drive and I'd be that driver's ed in the 60s wasn't all that difficult.

I really like Pete's SCDP storylines.
I really dislike Pete's personal life storylines.

- billypritchard
Zevida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:48 PM   #13
Satchel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevida View Post
I feel is also foreshadows that with Megan gone, Don is standing on the edge ready to fall back into his old ways. Megan by his side all day and all night kept him in line. Without her there, I see it only a matter of time before he's in bed with someone else.
This. The way he watched Megan leave to go to her acting class just as he was getting home...he's got no reason to come home early any more.

Old Don will be back.
Satchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:01 PM   #14
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Pete just can't quit with the cheating. He's as bad as Don. Maybe worse, because he has no style about it.

What a huge contrast between Megan and Don and Peggy and Don. Not really suprising, but still.. It was so striking. Peggy just doesn't seem to care much.

jsmeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:25 PM   #15
stellie93

It took me about half way through the scene to recognize Rory. It was driving me crazy.

I hate Pete, but I don't really think Trudy is any prize either.

He was right about Rory pushing him away and then giving just a little encouragement when he's about to give up--the heart on the window.

I wish Joanne had a little bigger role, and we haven't seen much of Lane since that awesome fight, have we?
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:28 PM   #16
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
It took me about half way through the scene to recognize Rory. It was driving me crazy.

I hate Pete, but I don't really think Trudy is any prize either.

He was right about Rory pushing him away and then giving just a little encouragement when he's about to give up--the heart on the window.
It wasn't just the heart on the window. It was also in their telephone conversation when she told him to forget about continuing their relationship. He could fantasize about it, and she would to, but it was over.

The fact that she said she'd fantasize about it was an indication to Pete that she was into it and wanted more, which is why he then weaseled his way into the dinner invitation from Howard.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:58 PM   #17
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
...I'd bet that driver's ed in the 60s wasn't all that difficult...
I took driver's ed in the 60s and it was MUCH more difficult then than now. You had to parallel park among other things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
...I don't really think Trudy is any prize either....
This.

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:03 PM   #18
brianric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
I took driver's ed in the 60s and it was MUCH more difficult then than now. You had to parallel park among other things...

This.
Same here, but I also had to drive a manual transmission car so as not to have my license stamped "Automatic Only".
brianric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:42 PM   #19
avery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
So did I ['67 NY], but I would have no idea how easy or difficult it is now. And, of course, you had to learn how to parallel park... everyone does!!

I think Pete's heart just isn't in it because he didn't really want to learn and rather be living back in Manhattan.

Last edited by avery : 05-07-2012 at 10:48 PM.
avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:53 AM   #20
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
That would make sense, at least to me.

I hate Pete. Always have.

What was the deal with Pete's junior partner insurance policy? The insurance guy made it sound like it was worthless once he died or something like that.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts

Last edited by cheesesteak : 05-08-2012 at 06:00 AM.
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:03 AM   #21
TiVo'Brien
Multi-year Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
.......What was the deal with Pete's junior partner insurance policy? The insurance guy made it sound like it was worthless once he died or something like that.
It pays the firm SCDP, not Trudy, at least that's what Howard the insurance guys is guessing.

Hmmm......
Spoiler:
signal 30, Pete's a bad driver, no life insurance, always drinking.......... anyone else thinking what I'm thinking?

Last edited by TiVo'Brien : 05-08-2012 at 07:09 AM.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:33 AM   #22
MikeMar
Go Pats

Yeah he's a partner and brings in a lot of business, so the insurance is for the company if he is gone. Like how big companies now do that on top level execs and all that.

MikeMar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:14 PM   #23
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVo'Brien View Post
It pays the firm SCDP, not Trudy, at least that's what Howard the insurance guys is guessing.

Hmmm......
Spoiler:
signal 30, Pete's a bad driver, no life insurance, always drinking.......... anyone else thinking what I'm thinking?
There's a going theme this season that lots of folks, myself included feel is pointing to
Spoiler:
someone in the main cast dying

Old 05-08-2012, 12:28 PM   #24
Zevida
witless and unarmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
What a huge contrast between Megan and Don and Peggy and Don. Not really suprising, but still.. It was so striking. Peggy just doesn't seem to care much.
I don't think that's fair to Peggy. She was trying, but first she's not an actress and second she doesn't have the same rapport with Don that Megan does. There's a big difference between a husband and wife who are both smooth operators having playful banter and a boss and subordinate trying to do the same, especially when the subordinate is a bit socially awkward and is far from the stereotypical perfect wife that would fit into that scene.

I think Peggy did care a lot, I just think she wasn't the right person to put in there. And, as she rightly pointed out, Don didn't let her rehearse it more than once and since she's not a natural, they should have.

- billypritchard
Zevida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:32 PM   #25
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

I think we've seen time and again that Peggy does, indeed, care a lot. She's passionate about her work and her life...

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:32 PM   #26
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
I think Peggy did care a lot, I just think she wasn't the right person to put in there. And, as she rightly pointed out, Don didn't let her rehearse it more than once and since she's not a natural, they should have.
I think that's the bigger issue. Peggy did care, and wanted to rehearse, but the playful banter with Megan had been so effortless that he didn't realize rehearsal was necessary. He didn't realize that it was Megan's talent that made their little act seem so natural, and not anything Don brought to the table. Hopefully that helped him realize and accept that Megan truly is a gifted actress and that she was wasting her talents in the advertising business.

I think more and more this season, we're seeing Don come to a realization that he's not the bulletproof advertising genius that he thinks he is. He knows nothing about modern music, he got smacked down at the ACS dinner when he realized his letter about Lucky Strike was a huge red flag to potential clients, the only reason they retained the Heinz account was because of Megan, the success of his acting with Megan had nothing to do with him, etc.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:55 PM   #27
speedcouch
Geekneck

I'm sure the song they chose had some symbolism for the show but they certainly could have chosen a better song to represent Beatles from Revolver than the one they used. Also I am almost certain that song is not the first track on either side.
Sony Bravia, 20 inch
HR34-700
HR21-100
Panasonic DMR-E30S
Kenwood VR-7060
DirecTV since Aug 1995
XM since May 2004
speedcouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:00 PM   #28
Aniketos

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedcouch View Post
I'm sure the song they chose had some symbolism for the show but they certainly could have chosen a better song to represent Beatles from Revolver than the one they used. Also I am almost certain that song is not the first track on either side.
Last track, and as you point out, it's far more symbolic than playing Taxman, to show that Don doesn't get the next generation.
Aniketos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:08 PM   #29
lpamelaa

I'm assuming fans have already seen the news articles about the $250K that it cost to use that Beatles song.

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/20...ve-and-250000/
Old 05-08-2012, 03:19 PM   #30
markymark_ctown

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhip View Post
"PIZZA HOUSE!"
oh that was funny...

peggy was quite sassy this episode...
markymark_ctown is offline   Reply With Quote