TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-10-2012, 06:40 AM   #1
LifeIsABeach

Mythbusters - Titanic Survival

Has anyone watched this? Usually I get annoyed by the people who complain they got things wrong, but this episode had me scratching my head.

All during the build team's experiment I was thinking:

1. The guy in the picture obviously only had one big rocket
2. I doubt he was skilled enough to time various rockets
3. He did not have a specially shaped surfboard or a handhold
4. Corey's ride was nowhere near 30 seconds

At least at the end they redeemed themselves and busted the myth. Usually they bust it first and then try to duplicate the results.

I also did not like what Adam and Jamie did.

1. Why would you use "authentic" prop wood? The movie is supposed to be recreating the Titanic. You need to use the type of wood which would have been on the Titanic.

2. By their own hypothermia results they should have concluded that Rose would have been too frozen to blow her whistle by the time the boat came back to rescue them. Therefore they both would have died either way.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:59 AM   #2
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

I thought it was entertaining enough. It was clear from the first test that the acceleration of a single large rocket was an overwhelming hurdle, so they went straight to trying to make it work on their own.

As for the Titanic part, Cameron was pretty funny. I didn't much care about the outcome, but watching the builds and tests was interesting.

Overall, a better than average episode for the last few years.

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:18 AM   #3
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

I've said for years that they could have just taken turns up above, for crying out loud!
Old 10-10-2012, 07:29 AM   #4
snowjay
40mph couch potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsABeach View Post
1. Why would you use "authentic" prop wood? The movie is supposed to be recreating the Titanic. You need to use the type of wood which would have been on the Titanic.

I think they did. They said at one point they contacted some maritime museum and tried to recreate what was on the ship as closely as possible.
snowjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:34 AM   #5
Donbadabon
Geocacher

Quote:
this episode had me scratching my head.

I didn't like the surfboard tests either. Maybe they put a lot of thought/testing into the one-rocket method but they didn't show it to us. So we are left with this crazy multi-rocket board.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:37 AM   #6
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
2. By their own hypothermia results they should have concluded that Rose would have been too frozen to blow her whistle by the time the boat came back to rescue them. Therefore they both would have died either way.
But they were testing the absolute "worst case" scenario that she was rescued at the 63 minute mark, and not before. If that's the case, then yes, I'd agree that it's unlikely she would have been able to blow the whistle. But what about 45 minutes? I would say unless you're the one out there, at 63 minutes, and not dead yet, that it's hard to tell if you'd be able to blow a whistle. If it were me, the whistle would already have been frozen to my mouth, and all I needed to do was blow a little harder.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:44 AM   #7
pmyers

Does anybody really care about that Titanic myth?
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:47 AM   #8
LifeIsABeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowjay View Post
I think they did. They said at one point they contacted some maritime museum and tried to recreate what was on the ship as closely as possible.
I'll have to go back and rewatch. I thought they said they used the same type of wood they used in the film (which had no need to be accurate). Thanks!
Old 10-10-2012, 10:57 AM   #9
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
Does anybody really care about that Titanic myth?
I didn't care. I fast forwarded past the final bit with the 2 guys trying to be on the piece of wood.

I did find the hypothermia thing interesting. That the body temperature would drop the same whether you're in the water or not.

As to blowing the whistle, didn't Rose swim to someone nearby to blow the whistle? They were saying when that cold, you can't move anymore. That is why Jack sunk.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:19 AM   #10
pmyers

But in the 2 person test, they were still both in the water, just not totally submerged. And I wonder if there was wind, would being out of the water actually be worse (assuming water and air temp the same).
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:02 PM   #11
doom1701
I blue myself!

I thought the surfing myth was fun--obviously they went to replicating the results almost immediately. The ride with the dummy, since he was strapped onto the board (and the board was on rails) was more impressive looking.

I really liked the Titanic myth. I thought Cameron was a blast. The methodology seemed solid as well, although (like many people online), I do debate that anybody in freezing cold water would have the clarity of mind to tie the life jacket around the wood. I do now wonder about Hoffer's point--I can't remember when Rose got the whistle. If she did get off the board before rescue, then she should be dead.

I think the only thing that bugged me was the 63 minute figure. It really stunk of "We know the timing of hypothermia--so let's pick a time that is just barely under the limit, both medically and historically."