TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-30-2012, 01:01 AM   #1
jlin

$9.99 'Antenna' -only promotion not good anymore?

I tried using 'Antenna' coupon code to sign up for the service but it didn't take it. It's for my new Premier box that I only want to use for OTA service.

Does anyone know of a new or current code?
jlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:37 AM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlin View Post
I tried using 'Antenna' coupon code to sign up for the service but it didn't take it. It's for my new Premier box that I only want to use for OTA service.

Does anyone know of a new or current code?
Ran out in November. No indication they'll ever do it again.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:17 PM   #3
shwru980r

You're probably better off with a used Tivo HD. You should be able to find one much cheaper than $149.99, you can get a $12.95 per month plan and there is no 1 year commitment.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:38 PM   #4
jlin

Is Tivo HD better than the current Premier Box?

yes, I did get the Premier from Craiglist for $20
Old 05-30-2012, 09:28 PM   #5
unitron

Quote:

yes, I did get the Premier from Craiglist for $20
If you bought it on Craigslist, then it was probably previously subscribed and used with cable at some point, which means it wouldn't have been eligible for the Antenna-only promotion anyway.

Do you even have cable?

If not, you could try calling TiVo and telling them you'll pay the $14.95 per month rate, but only on a month by month no-commitment basis (which, you should point out, is $14.95 per month more than they are getting out of it now).

Then try it out for a while and see if you think it's worth $15 per month or not.

If not, you can cancel and sell the thing for what you paid.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:30 PM   #6
heatherprotz

You spoke my heart out jlin. I am waiting to see a comprehensive solution.
heatherprotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:02 AM   #7
jlin

Yes the previous owner used it for cable.. she paid off her contract so I can go month to month either at $19.99 rate.. or negotiated $12.99 when I called to complained that the 'antenna' coupon doesn't work anymore.

I'm still holding out a possible $9.99 retention deal.. otherwise it's probably not worth it.

I found the used deal after Electronic Expo shipped me the $100 TV Premier (500GB version)

I'm debating whether I should return the $100 new unit.. if not, what subscription I should get on either box.. or get the $399 Lifetime plan.

I'm quite afraid of Tivo going out of business and I'd be all out of luck!
Old 05-31-2012, 01:14 AM   #8
unitron

Quote:
Yes the previous owner used it for cable.. she paid off her contract so I can go month to month either at $19.99 rate.. or negotiated $12.99 when I called to complained that the 'antenna' coupon doesn't work anymore.

I'm still holding out a possible $9.99 retention deal.. otherwise it's probably not worth it.

I found the used deal after Electronic Expo shipped me the $100 TV Premier (500GB version)

I'm debating whether I should return the $100 new unit.. if not, what subscription I should get on either box.. or get the $399 Lifetime plan.

I'm quite afraid of Tivo going out of business and I'd be all out of luck!
If it's your only TiVo I think $499 is what you'd have to pay for lifetime, because you don't qualify for Multi-Set Discount.

If you can get $12.99, no 1 year obligation, try that for a month or two, then we can talk about putting a 2TB drive in there.

TiVo's managed to hang on for about 12 years so far and has recently won some court cases that put a lot of money in their pockets, so I don't think they're going anywhere anytime soon.

Be sure any subscription prices quoted to you are for a single TiVo with no other TiVos on your account. That $12.99 might have been the MSD price it you agreed to a one-year obligation at $14.95 on that 500GB TiVo as well.

Also find out if there's a 30 trial period on the used TiVo or if that's just for the new one.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:24 PM   #9
jlin

I just started the 30-day trial for the used one.

The new 500GB Tivo is still in the UPS box waiting to either be opened or returned to the seller.

I'd definitely keeping the unit if the $9.99 antenna deal is still available. I recently 'upgraded' to DISH network's Hopper/Joey system. I'm using the Tivo as the OTA DVR, which is currently not available on Hopper/Joey.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:08 PM   #10
steve614
what ru lookin at?

I just want to point out that there may be some confusion here.

There is no 30 day free trial.

The ''free trial'' you get with a new Tivo is only 7 days and (IIRC) only applies to Tivos brand new out of the box.

The ''30 days'' that is commonly referred to has to do with subscribing a Tivo.
If, after subscribing to the TiVo Service you are dissatisfied with the service, you can cancel within 30 days and receive a full refund.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 01:56 PM   #11
shwru980r

Quote:
Many people claim the Tivo HD is better than a premiere for OTA reception, but the Tivo HD offers less OTT content than a premiere.

Since there is no commitment, you could cancel the subscription in the summer when the programming is mostly reruns and then reactivate in the fall. You can still watch previously recorded programs even without a subscription.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote