TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-13-2012, 01:28 AM   #61
rdodolak

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettf View Post
You can also do just a HDUI GUI reset instead of the full blown restart so you don't interrupt recordings.

Thumbs up, thumbs down, play, play...
Tried this and I still can't get the new apps to work in the HDUI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balzer View Post
After I rebooted the system yesterday, the Netflix and Youtube apps were not working. I waited several hours and no change. I disabled and re-enabled them in the settings, rebooted a couple of times, but still no change.
So I changed to the SDUI and tried it and they both worked. Then I changed back to HDUI and tried them again, and that's when they finally worked for me...
I've tried just about everything I can think of, forcing a connection, removing/adding video providers, rebooting, changing between HDUI and SDUI, etc. and I still can't get the new apps to load in the HDUI. It's been over two days now with no change yet the new apps worked immediately in the SDUI. It really can't be this hard to get the TiVo to update correctly to use the new apps in the HDUI!
rdodolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:07 AM   #62
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdodolak View Post
Tried this and I still can't get the new apps to work in the HDUI.

I've tried just about everything I can think of, forcing a connection, removing/adding video providers, rebooting, changing between HDUI and SDUI, etc. and I still can't get the new apps to load in the HDUI. It's been over two days now with no change yet the new apps worked immediately in the SDUI. It really can't be this hard to get the TiVo to update correctly to use the new apps in the HDUI!
I got them to work by removing all of the apps(not just the new ones) going back to the main menu and then re-adding them
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:25 AM   #63
rhettf
R3T1CAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
And of course Live TV, the TiVo button, etc will completely exit the App and take you back to the normal TiVo menus and TV playback etc.
(And I think someone mentioned the clear button will exit out of the Netflix App too, but I've never tried it since I don't use that button since you only need the upper two thirds of the remote when using the Netflix app)
Hitting the TiVo button or clear achieves similar results, both take you to the TiVo main menu but each have different landing destinations.

When you push the TiVo button you end up on MY Shows

When you push the clear button you end up on Netflix (App List).

I also noticed that while play and the yellow pause both pause/play the do it differently.

The play button brings up the scrub bar and the video image stills (good if your planing on rewinding/fast forwarding).

The yellow pause simply pauses the video and brings up the scrub bar, this was slightly faster for me.

Last edited by rhettf : 05-13-2012 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Play pause update
rhettf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:04 AM   #64
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
Does someone have 42 minutes to spare? I think the answer to our questions may be in this video.

Webkit in Your Living Room - Netflix
I've watched about 25 minutes of this video and I've learned more about how the Adobe Air / Webkit implementation of Netflix works than anything I've read on TCF or elsewhere.

It makes many of the Netflix design decisions much more understandable. They clearly have many more optimization's they can do for the TiVo Netflix App but this V1.0 app is a good start.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:10 AM   #65
rdodolak

Quote:
Originally Posted by compnurd View Post
I got them to work by removing all of the apps(not just the new ones) going back to the main menu and then re-adding them
Thanks for the suggestion, compnurd. I did try that multiple times the other day with no sucess.

Reboots do appear to put it in an intermediate step, by that I mean when trying to load the Netflix or YouTube apps, for the first time after the reboot, the screen goes black for approx. 30 secs or so, which appears to be indicitive of the new interface, but then the please wait shows up and it loads the old apps. After the first try it just goes immediately to the old apps.
rdodolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:20 AM   #66
rogmatic

I am pretty disappointed that you can't watch Netflix from the now playing menu in SD menu. I really prefer the SD to the clutter of the HD menu but I guess they want to force you to watch the ads.
rogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:34 AM   #67
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogmatic View Post
I am pretty disappointed that you can't watch Netflix from the now playing menu in SD menu. I really prefer the SD to the clutter of the HD menu but I guess they want to force you to watch the ads.
From SDUI you can get still get to new Netflix from Showcases or Video On Demand screens. No need to use HDUI. I do think TiVo is either basically ignoring or downgrading SDUI now as all their focus is on trying to improve HDUI. For next hardware platform it's very likely SDUI will be completely gone.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:03 PM   #68
box464

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
Press up.
Thank you! Never would have figured that out on my own.

Makes no sense and I'm sure I will be clicking the Left button constantly for months.
box464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:12 PM   #69
caryrae73

Was watching a movie last night and at one point more then halfway through it kept switching back and forth from 1080i to 1080p several times in a row, eventually it did stop and it was fine before that.
caryrae73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 02:41 PM   #70
rhettf
R3T1CAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by caryrae73 View Post
Was watching a movie last night and at one point more then halfway through it kept switching back and forth from 1080i to 1080p several times in a row, eventually it did stop and it was fine before that.
Been having this issue too while watching Family Guy. It was very annoying, sometimes it would happen 3-4 times in a row with each time causing two black screens.
rhettf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 03:56 PM   #71
rogmatic

Maybe I will get used to the app in time, but I am currently using AppleTv fo Netflix.
rogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:44 PM   #72
ewy99

I have a question that I am afraid of being out of luck. I do not have an HD tv yet. So when I go to the new Netflix app, the screen is very hard to read. Is there an option that can change this to make it easier to view on a regular tv? Thanks!
ewy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:46 PM   #73
aaronwt
HD Addict

I watched several more hours of Netflix yesterday and today on my Elite. It has consistently been rock solid. Once it gets to 1080p24 it has stayed there and not dropped down to 720p. The only issue I have is when it resyncs when going from 720p to 1080p24. But there is no way around that if you want to view the content in 1080p24.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:28 PM   #74
HockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
It makes many of the Netflix design decisions much more understandable. They clearly have many more optimization's they can do for the TiVo Netflix App but this V1.0 app is a good start.
I agree with you.

On the PS3 you can enter an actor/actress name and it will bring up all available shows by that person. This is new to the ps3 and will most likely be added to tivo in an update. Of course Tivo central search is much better since it doesn't limit it to just available netflix shows.

Also ps3 needed many updates for shows not to lock up while fast forwarding requiring a reboot. The tivo search not only doesn't lock up but it shows a much more acurate frame position while fast forwarding. This I was very impressed by.

Tivo's aspect ratio for SD shows are also more pleasant than netflix and amazon prime from the ps3.

Don't get me wrong. I like the ps3. It's great for blu-rays, streaming, and gaming.
HockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:41 PM   #75
avg99

Really like the new Netflix app even with its quirks hd and 5.1 rocks

http://www.techofthehub.com/2012/05/...on-review.html
avg99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:52 PM   #76
marqattacks

I love the way I can browse Netflix on my Xbox. I would enjoy a similar browsing experience on my TiVo.
marqattacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:59 PM   #77
williamsca

I just received the latest TiVo update. TiVo PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE go back to the original Netflix app. The new one is HORRIBLE! I can't watch a single title without the app constantly changing audio/video resolution. I have Verizon FIOS which should give me a consistent high quality HD connection but the TiVo Netflix app is constantly switching between resolutions. The old Netflix app NEVER had any problems - GO BACK TO IT!!!!
williamsca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:05 PM   #78
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by marqattacks View Post
I love the way I can browse Netflix on my Xbox. I would enjoy a similar browsing experience on my TiVo.
I was just using the Xbox 360 Netflix app this evening. Its launch time is about the same as TiVo. I find browsing the TiVo Netflix app with my slide remote so much better than using the Xbox game controller. What do you like better about the Xbox app? The Xbox app also doesn't support 1080p24.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:06 PM   #79
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamsca View Post
I just received the latest TiVo update. TiVo PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE go back to the original Netflix app. The new one is HORRIBLE! I can't watch a single title without the app constantly changing audio/video resolution. I have Verizon FIOS which should give me a consistent high quality HD connection but the TiVo Netflix app is constantly switching between resolutions. The old Netflix app NEVER had any problems - GO BACK TO IT!!!!
What problems are you having? The app is switching between what resolutions? You do have the option to turn of 1080p24 if that is causing your issues. I'm surprised that you would be having speed problems with FiOS. Do you have a router or switch between the FiOS modem and your network? Is your TiVo wired or wireless to your network (i.e., how do you have your TiVo connected)?
Old 05-13-2012, 11:07 PM   #80
Drewster
Shooting blanks

A question about the TiVo's resolution: why is the TiVo set to allow anything but your set's highest resolution?

I have only 1080p selected in my TiVo, and it upscales anything it needs to. Works ok for me, and no pauses for resolution resync.

-Andrew
Old 05-14-2012, 07:17 AM   #81
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Try changing the DNS IP addresses. I have FiOS too. And can stream multiple concurrent Netflix streams and they are rock solid here. It stays at 1080P24 without dropping down to the 720P stream. Unless I course I FF or REW a several minutes. Then it starts back at 720P and ramp sup to 1080P. But that is standard from any Netflix streaming device.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:21 AM   #82
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewster View Post
A question about the TiVo's resolution: why is the TiVo set to allow anything but your set's highest resolution?

I have only 1080p selected in my TiVo, and it upscales anything it needs to. Works ok for me, and no pauses for resolution resync.

-Andrew
You have to at the very least have 1080i and 1080P24 set on the TiVo. You cannot just select 1080P on the TiVo since the TiVo cannot scale to 1080P, it only has 1080P24 pass through. The TiVo can only scale to 1080i resolutions and lower. On the streaming HD content Netflix mostly has 720P streams and 1080P24 streams. So it will start streaming the 720P stream and ramp up to 1080P24. So whether you have 720P or 1080i checked it will start streaming at a lower resolution(either at 720P or at 1080i with the 720P stream scaled to 1080i) and will have to re-sync when it starts streaming 1080P24.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:45 AM   #83
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
You have to at the very least have 1080i and 1080P24 set on the TiVo. You cannot just select 1080P on the TiVo since the TiVo cannot scale to 1080P, it only has 1080P24 pass through. The TiVo can only scale to 1080i resolutions and lower. On the streaming HD content Netflix mostly has 720P streams and 1080P24 streams. So it will start streaming the 720P stream and ramp up to 1080P24. So whether you have 720P or 1080i checked it will start streaming at a lower resolution(either at 720P or at 1080i with the 720P stream scaled to 1080i) and will have to re-sync when it starts streaming 1080P24.
Correct. You'll notice in the video settings menu that TiVo explicitly labels the 1080p as "pass-through". I have my Elite/XL4 set to 1080i and 1080p only and have deselected the other resolutions to minimize the amount of switching the TV is required to perform.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:34 AM   #84
Balzer

Smile

Quote:
No thanks. I'll keep the new one.

Roamio Plus (On The Way)
Roamio (Sep '13 - Present)
Premiere "B" (July '12 - Present)
Premiere "A" (August '11 - Present)
TiVo HD (July '07 - July '12)
TiVo S1 (August '01 - July '07)
Balzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:05 AM   #85
jrtroo
User

Finally watched some HD content, very nice, nicer than expected. But as I watch a lot of tv shows with my family, I'm not sure if that outweighs the pain of the new remote mapping.

I had an issue the other day, not sure if it was user error, a netflix problem, a set up issue, or just lack of understanding of the goofy remote functions. When watching a "malcom in the middle" (a show that always was 4:3 with the back bars) the screen on my premiere was zoomed in, removing the bars and making everyone huge while cutting off their heads.

I tried as many remote buttons as seemed reasonable to "zoom" out (with dropping out the the app a bunch of times, ouch), to no avail. I don't see any options to set in the menus on this. In looking at the same show on my HD, it still had the 4:3 with bars.

User error? Netflix issue?
Old 05-14-2012, 09:59 AM   #86
Drewster
Shooting blanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller

I have my Elite/XL4 set to 1080i and 1080p only and have deselected the other resolutions to minimize the amount of switching the TV is required to perform.
That's what I have as well. I'm not yet seeing a reason to have lower resolutions selected at all.

-Andrew
Old 05-14-2012, 10:11 AM   #87
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Finally watched some HD content, very nice, nicer than expected. But as I watch a lot of tv shows with my family, I'm not sure if that outweighs the pain of the new remote mapping.

I had an issue the other day, not sure if it was user error, a netflix problem, a set up issue, or just lack of understanding of the goofy remote functions. When watching a "malcom in the middle" (a show that always was 4:3 with the back bars) the screen on my premiere was zoomed in, removing the bars and making everyone huge while cutting off their heads.

I tried as many remote buttons as seemed reasonable to "zoom" out (with dropping out the the app a bunch of times, ouch), to no avail. I don't see any options to set in the menus on this. In looking at the same show on my HD, it still had the 4:3 with bars.

User error? Netflix issue?

This is no different than it was with the previous Netflix app. You could not use the zoom function while in the Netflix app. You had to set it prior to using the Netflix app.

Although it could have also been the content that was streamed. There is alot of content that was originally in the 4:3 aspect ratio that is sent as zoomed in when watching to fill the screen. And if the content is that way and you are watching an HD stream, the zoom button would have no effect anyway.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:27 AM   #88
jrtroo
User

I'll verify again tonight (with another show or two for good measure), but as I suspected and (based upon these comments) it appears to be a problem.

EDIT: Completely user error. I never use the zoom button function and did not realize that it was used when launching the netflix app and that you need to exit the app to reset. I blame the kids or the dog for bumping the remote, as that is one of the few buttons that still has all of its paint on it.

Last edited by jrtroo : 05-16-2012 at 08:37 AM. Reason: User error
jrtroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:14 AM   #89
MrJedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJedi View Post
I love the PS3 Netflix compared to the old TiVo one. One awesome thing is that while watching a series it pops up a menu at the bottom of the screen during the end credits allowing you to start the next episode without having to exit the current one. Based on what I am reading here, I seems like I am going to be disappointed when I get home. (I have the new app, just haven't had a chance to mess with it).
Between the issues with how long it takes to scale up to 1080p, reinitialize the handshake after doing so, and not being able to start the next episode of a series at the end credits I stopped using the new app after a day and went back to the PS3. I really wanted to like the new app, but the implementation is still better on the PS3. Now, if I ever get a second TV and TiVo I will just deal with it. It is a major improvement, but I got too used to using the PS3 app to go back to the TiVo one at this time.

Yep, just a one TV/one TiVo house. :)
MrJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:39 AM   #90
JfNebraska
HD Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJedi View Post
Between the issues with how long it takes to scale up to 1080p, reinitialize the handshake after doing so, and not being able to start the next episode of a series at the end credits I stopped using the new app after a day and went back to the PS3. I really wanted to like the new app, but the implementation is still better on the PS3. Now, if I ever get a second TV and TiVo I will just deal with it. It is a major improvement, but I got too used to using the PS3 app to go back to the TiVo one at this time.
The PS3 app is great, but, since I use a universal remote and not the PS3 controller, I have two problems with it. 1) I have to walk up to my system (or find the controller) to tun on my PS3 and 2) I need the PS button on the controller to exit the Netflix app (that's still true, right?).

Those delays make the TiVo Netflix app preferable to me.
JfNebraska is offline   Reply With Quote