TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-11-2012, 11:11 AM   #1
sbiller

Feedback to Netflix on the new app

Margret at TiVo has agreed to provide a list of comments directly to Netflix on things the user community would like changed with the current app. These need to be items that are controllable by Netflix (i.e., integral to their app). Therefore things like adding Netflix to the My Shows queue, etc. might not be applicable.

Please let me know what changes you would like to see to the new Netflix app.

I will start and modify the post as feedback is received in this message thread.

--------------------------------------

Requested changes to Netflix

1) Start the stream in 1080p24 for those users who have that video resolution selected. This would avoid the TV black-out as the output stream switches from 1080i to 1080p and the HDMI sync is renegotiated.

2) Make "Info" button display information on what a viewer is watching. Be as consistent as possible with the TiVo buttons.

3) Don't use the "Clear" button to exit the application. If possible, let it clear the status bar during playback, but if not, just disable it.

4) Provide a description of the next watchable episode when selecting a series from my queue. Currently it puts a description of the entire series, a random picture from the episode and a unfriendly label like "S3:E12". That isn't very meaningful. It would be beneficial to provide the name and have description of the episode. That would be more useful than a random still image for the episode, if space is a concern.

5) Play button should show progress, and not pause the program.

6) When I watch a piece of content on Netflix that was found via the TiVo Browse and Search function the content should immediately start playing when I hit Watch Now from Netflix. This should also be a user choice since I am sure some people don't want the content to play immediately after they push Watch Now from...Netflix.

7) TiVo please pull in more metadata from Netflix into your HD menus. It would be nice if there was a DD 5.1/DD+ 5.1/DD 2.0 audio icons and 720p/1080i/1080p/24f video icons so purists can watch the content in the native format.

8) I wish TiVo could pull the Netflix recommendations into browse. Then I don't have to launch the app to see what Netflix has new for me to watch. The option could be in Collections for Netflix which than pulls in the recommendations and other category filters (Just For You, Based on X, More Supernatural, Popular on Netflix).

V1.2

Last edited by sbiller : 05-15-2012 at 03:09 PM.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:14 AM   #2
moyekj

Well the buttons are all wrong for a TiVo remote but I doubt Netflix will change that. But at least make it so "Info" button gives you information on what you are watching...

I think the only way to get Netflix to be closer to TiVo experience is if there is an SDK to allow 3rd party developers to make it so. Can only hope that the so-called new SDK TiVo is supposed to release will include something along those lines.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:28 AM   #3
TerpBE
Go Terps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
Please let me know what changes you would like to see to the new Netflix app.

I will start and modify the post as feedback is received in this message thread.
3) Don't use the "Clear" button to exit the application. If possible, let it clear the status bar during playback, but if not, just disable it.

Having the clear button exit the app (which is completely inconsistent with everywhere else in Tivo), would be like if somebody said, "We just tinkered with your car, so now your brake pedal will accelerate your car just like your gas pedal. If you want to use your actual brakes, they're activated with your left turn signal." Sure you can inform us of the change, but it's only a matter of time before instincts kick in and we go slamming into the back of an 18 wheeler.

Last edited by TerpBE : 05-11-2012 at 11:41 AM.
TerpBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:29 AM   #4
jrtroo
User

Thanks sbiller.

Having consistent button pushes to other tivo content is important. I'll quickly stop using the outliers and end up cancelling netflix because of it.

Case in point:
This reminds me of my short time with a comcast DVR. It killed me slowly to try and use one set of remote functions with the on-demand and yet similar, but different controls for the dvr playback. It was the primary reason I kicked it to the curb as quickly as I did (though it would have happened eventually).

I was watching something last night, and perhaps it was because it was the first time with the new software, but the initial resolution was almost a joke. Blobs of characters moving across the screen, it was quite funny. I assume I can adjust from the zoomed in view it defaulted to (Malcolm in the Middle), but I did not try since I was so confused by the button functions I was happy to just leave it alone once I got the show started.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:32 AM   #5
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Thanks sbiller.

Having consistent button pushes to other tivo content is important. I'll quickly stop using the outliers and end up cancelling netflix because of it.

Case in point:
This reminds me of my short time with a comcast DVR. It killed me slowly to try and use one set of remote functions with the on-demand and yet similar, but different controls for the dvr playback. It was the primary reason I kicked it to the curb as quickly as I did (though it would have happened eventually).

I was watching something last night, and perhaps it was because it was the first time with the new software, but the initial resolution was almost a joke. Blobs of characters moving across the screen, it was quite funny. I assume I can adjust from the zoomed in view it defaulted to (Malcolm in the Middle), but I did not try since I was so confused by the button functions I was happy to just leave it alone once I got the show started.
jrtoo, I need specific feedback. Its clear that apps like Netflix, Hulu, etc. are not going to make their app look like a TiVo app. They want consistency across their multiple platforms. I understand your frustration.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:39 AM   #6
Stevesreed

I'd like to see the description of the next watchable episode when selecting a series from my queue.

Currently it puts a description of the entire series, a random picture from the episode and a unfriendly label like "S3:E12". That does not mean anything to me. It should say the name and have description of the episode. That would be more useful than a random still image for the episode, if space is a concern.
Stevesreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:47 AM   #7
sghrush

Left arrow to exit instead of clear button

Tried the new Netflix app this morning. Intuitively, I pressed the left arrow to exit Netflix app but it didn't work. I then tried the clear button and discovered it worked. I think the left arrow should be the exit button since this would be consistent with how we exit from other Tivo screens.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:49 AM   #8
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sghrush View Post
Tried the new Netflix app this morning. Intuitively, I pressed the left arrow to exit Netflix app but it didn't work. I then tried the clear button and discovered it worked. I think the left arrow should be the exit button since this would be consistent with how we exit from other Tivo screens.
Changing the behavior of the D-Pad left arrow would be inconsistent with other Netflix implementations.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:09 PM   #9
gweempose

I do find it curious that the Netflix app behaves so differently to button presses. It's like this app was developed in a vacuum, and there was no contact at all between TiVo and Netflix. I blame both companies.
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:11 PM   #10
jrtroo
User

I have many similar to those listed, one I have not seen yet is:

Play button should show progress, and not pause the program
Old 05-11-2012, 12:45 PM   #11
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Well the buttons are all wrong for a TiVo remote but I doubt Netflix will change that. But at least make it so "Info" button gives you information on what you are watching...
Actions for buttons like Info, Clear, Select and up/down/left/right should be consistent with TiVo usage. And why should that be difficult for Netflix? Button mappings should just be entries in a table somewhere in the program code. Changing which button does what should be pretty easy. And Netflix should be striving to have their app integrated seamlessly into as many environments as possible, not obsessed with imposing the exact same interface onto all those different environments.

Last edited by L David Matheny : 05-11-2012 at 12:56 PM.
L David Matheny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:50 PM   #12
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
Actions for buttons like Info, Clear, Select and up/down/left/right should be consistent with TiVo usage. And why should that be difficult for Netflix? Button mappings should just be entries in a table somewhere in the program code. Changing which button does what should be pretty easy.
Netflix has made a design decision to map the buttons consistent across their platforms versus unique to each box/remote. I could see us influencing adding behavior of additional buttons like "info" but I'm guessing they are using a very similar code base for each of these implementations and unique buttons could be an issue.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:52 PM   #13
moyekj

Quote:
Actions for buttons like Info, Clear, Select and up/down/left/right should be consistent with TiVo usage. And why should that be difficult for Netflix? Button mappings should just be entries in a table somewhere in the program code. Changing which button does what should be pretty easy.
It's not difficult. In fact I bet it's trivial. The Netflix mantra/priority is consistency across all platforms. Looks like they are not interested in optimizing the experience for each individual platform which to me degenerates the experience on most of them.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:00 PM   #14
sghrush

Quote:
Changing the behavior of the D-Pad left arrow would be inconsistent with other Netflix implementations.
You are right. I meant it would be nice to use the left arrow option (instead of up arrow) to go back to previous screen while watching a movie. This is how the old Netflix appt used to be.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:15 PM   #15
rhettf
R3T1CAL

I really do like the netflix app, but some small changes in application behavior would be nice. I know some of these might be Tivo and not specificly Netflix, but I think TiVo could do since its clearly possible (see xbox 360)

1) When I watch a piece of content on Netflix that was found via the TiVo Browse and Search function the content should immediately start playing when I hit Watch Now from Netflix (or any other app source for that matter). This should also be a user choice since I am sure some people don't want the content to play immediately after they push Watch Now from...Netflix/Hulu/Amazon/Xfinity.

2)The whole 1080p/24f thing.. Is there a hardware limitation that only allows for pass through or could you create a 1080p/24f signal from scratch so we don't have to wait for Netflix to send us the signal? If it is a limitation, I would rather wait 10-15 more seconds in the beginning than have the show start streaming in 360p.

3) Stop making me have to learn new remote setups! I understand using the D-pad for selecting and such but come on! Please allow the Play/Pause D-Pad during playback. Please allow us to hit the info button for the synopsis like on the xbox app! Let me use the 30 second skip and 15 second reply, let me also hold down the 30 second skip to jump to the next episode. Have the Guide button bring up the Netflix recommendations.

4) TiVo please pull in more metadata from Netflix into your HD menus. It would be nice if there was a DD 5.1/DD+ 5.1/DD 2.0 audio icons and 720p/1080i/1080p/24f video icons so purists can watch the content in the native format.

5) I wish TiVo could pull the Netflix recommendations into browse. Then I don't have to launch the app to see what Netflix has new for me to watch. The option could be in Collections for Netflix which than pulls in the recommendations and other category filters (Just For You, Based on X, More Supernatural, Popular on Netflix).

Last edited by rhettf : 05-11-2012 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Fixing some grammer and spelling :)
rhettf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:16 PM   #16
L David Matheny

Quote:
Netflix has made a design decision to map the buttons consistent across their platforms versus unique to each box/remote. I could see us influencing adding behavior of additional buttons like "info" but I'm guessing they are using a very similar code base for each of these implementations and unique buttons could be an issue.
Are you saying that they load the exact same app code to run on a TiVo as they load to run on other boxes? It seems like they surely could recompile for various end uses. Major differences could cause them maintenance headaches, but surely customizing button usage to fit the target environment wouldn't tax their programming staff excessively.

And I edited my first post (while you and moyekj were replying) to comment on Netflix's possible misguided obsession with consistency across various platforms at the expense of a seamlessly integrated experience on any platform. As moyekj suggests, it will probably cost them (Netflix) business in the long run. As Emerson said, "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds". I hope Netflix can rise above such thinking.
L David Matheny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:20 PM   #17
jrtroo
User

Ok. What would be nice, at a minimum, is if they could at least provide us with the key for how to work their remote functions.

Up means back? Maddening. What does Right do- order a DVD? Does Down fast forward? I don't have the patience to experiment in each of the different screens.

It cannot hurt to ask them to make it consistent with the platform. It may be somewhat more complex to them, but we are not looking for different technology, just different mapping.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:21 PM   #18
moyekj

Well, Netflix is known for making wise business decisions right, so who are we to judge?

Old 05-11-2012, 01:26 PM   #19
aaronwt
HD Addict

if I were to pick one thing, it would be the startup resolution. SInce the TiVo has Native resolution output and does not scale to 1080P24, it would be nice to have the option to buffer a few seconds extra and just start playing at 1080P24 to avoid the resync issues when going from the 720P stream to the 1080P24 stream.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:30 PM   #20
Drewster
Shooting blanks

I believe the UP button also works for exiting the NetFlix app. (that's how you do it on my Roku, and I'm pretty sure I replicated it with NetFlix on TiVo last night.)
Old 05-11-2012, 01:33 PM   #21
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Well, Netflix is known for making wise business decisions right, so who are we to judge?
Agreed. They don't even have support forums on their website where we could b*tch and moan about their Netflix issues.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:34 PM   #22
donnoh

Has anyone had any problem with the Netflix app not working after the service update? When I start Netflix I get a error that states that an unexpected error has occurred, either Netflix is unavailable or there was a network error. I restart the app and get the same error which Tivos advice is to go to the support page at Tivo.com, there they have two options to fix it, re-boot or un-pair and re-pair. Re-boot didn't work so my only other option is to un-pair every device and re-pair then - a real PITA.
donnoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:39 PM   #23
sbiller

Quote:
Are you saying that they load the exact same app code to run on a TiVo as they load to run on other boxes? It seems like they surely could recompile for various end uses. Major differences could cause them maintenance headaches, but surely customizing button usage to fit the target environment wouldn't tax their programming staff excessively.
I don't really know but a great question. I do think one of the reason's for the lengthy load time is related to the software from Netflix downloading to the TiVo box. If that is the case they could push changes to the app without having to significantly update the TiVo software. That would be a huge advantage to Netflix from a support perspective.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:40 PM   #24
aaronwt
HD Addict

At least the videos start streaming super quick. Unlike with the Boxee Box.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:04 PM   #25
sghrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnoh View Post
Has anyone had any problem with the Netflix app not working after the service update? When I start Netflix I get a error that states that an unexpected error has occurred, either Netflix is unavailable or there was a network error. I restart the app and get the same error which Tivos advice is to go to the support page at Tivo.com, there they have two options to fix it, re-boot or un-pair and re-pair. Re-boot didn't work so my only other option is to un-pair every device and re-pair then - a real PITA.
Yes, there is another thread regarding this. The answer is: you must wait 4 hours after the service update. The netflix app has to reauthorize your Tivo box since it is seen as a new netflix app rather than an update of the previous authorized netflix app. It is a PITA and one would think it should work right away.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:13 PM   #26
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
I don't really know but a great question. I do think one of the reason's for the lengthy load time is related to the software from Netflix downloading to the TiVo box. If that is the case they could push changes to the app without having to significantly update the TiVo software. That would be a huge advantage to Netflix from a support perspective.
Quote:
Yes, there is another thread regarding this. The answer is: you must wait 4 hours after the service update. The netflix app has to reauthorize your Tivo box since it is seen as a new netflix app rather than an update of the previous authorized netflix app. It is a PITA and one would think it should work right away.

You can go into the video provider section and de-select Netflix and/or youtube. Then reselect them. That fixed it for many people.

For me it worked on my first box. But it didn't with my other boxes. So I de-selected them, rebooted, and re-selected them after bootup and both Apps came right up last night. It was late and I didn't have time to wait four hours.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:27 PM   #27
rhettf
R3T1CAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
You can go into the video provider section and de-select Netflix and/or youtube. Then reselect them. That fixed it for many people.

For me it worked on my first box. But it didn't with my other boxes. So I de-selected them, rebooted, and re-selected them after bootup and both Apps came right up last night. It was late and I didn't have time to wait four hours.
You can also do just a HDUI GUI reset instead of the full blown restart so you don't interrupt recordings.

Thumbs up, thumbs down, play, play...
rhettf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:27 PM   #28
Balzer

Note

Quote:
After I rebooted the system yesterday, the Netflix and Youtube apps were not working. I waited several hours and no change. I disabled and re-enabled them in the settings, rebooted a couple of times, but still no change.
So I changed to the SDUI and tried it and they both worked. Then I changed back to HDUI and tried them again, and that's when they finally worked for me...

Roamio Plus (Sep '14 - Present)
Roamio (Sep '13 - Present)
Premiere(July '12 - Present)
Premiere(August '11 - Present)
TiVo HD (July '07 - July '12)
TiVo S1 (August '01 - July '07)
Balzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:31 PM   #29
morac
Cat God

The main problem with having Netflix tailor the remote buttons is that they don't do that for any of the apps on other devices. I'm guessing they want to be consistent and also it's cheaper to write one HTML5/flash app and just port it to different devices as is.

That's slightly different from Hulu. The Hulu Plus app is nearly the same on every device, but Hulu maps the remote buttons intelligently for the platform. For example they use "C" (if I'm remembering correctly) to exit on the Premiere. I believe "C" will also exit Netflix, which makes the clear button exit functionality superfluous. Though most users would be more likely to find clear than "C" since unlike Hulu there's no "help" screen in Netflix.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:39 PM   #30
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
The main problem with having Netflix tailor the remote buttons is that they don't do that for any of the apps on other devices. I'm guessing they want to be consistent and also it's cheaper to write one HTML5/flash app and just port it to different devices as is.
Agreed. Netflix has an extremely complex back-end architecture to support the myriad of devices on the user side. Here is an example --> http://techblog.netflix.com/2012/01/...-in-cloud.html

Netflix did create a unique app for the Xbox 360 but that was the exception rather than the rule. I wonder who wrote the Apple TV app for Netflix. I'm guessing that Netflix is in the best position to write the TiVo app due to the complexity of interacting with their services.