TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-27-2012, 10:26 AM   #1
tomhorsley

Daytona and House

So, NASCAR has already announced several hours before the scheduled time that the Daytona 500 will start at 7 PM tonight. What are the odds that my TiVo will find out when House and Alcatraz have been postponed to? (Or that I will ever find out, for that matter, it certainly isn't on the FOX schedule info web page yet :-).
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:23 AM   #2
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhorsley View Post
So, NASCAR has already announced several hours before the scheduled time that the Daytona 500 will start at 7 PM tonight. What are the odds that my TiVo will find out when House and Alcatraz have been postponed to? (Or that I will ever find out, for that matter, it certainly isn't on the FOX schedule info web page yet :-).
Since zap2it still has it scheduled for a Noon start, I'd say that the odds are zero that the TiVo will ever find out and that we will have to force record the actual showings of those two episodes.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:39 AM   #3
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhorsley View Post
Since a 7PM Daytona race will postpone the normal airings, it should pick them up in their next scheduled slot, it's what's so great about a SP. One of the benefits of the new style faster guide updates over the past few years.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:46 AM   #4
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
Since a 7PM Daytona race will postpone the normal airings, it should pick them up in their next scheduled slot, it's what's so great about a SP. One of the benefits of the new style faster guide updates over the past few years.
If the Tivo does not get the guide update in time it will think it already recorded these episodes and so will not record them when they actually air. The chance of everyone getting that update in time is slim at this point.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:50 AM   #5
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
If the Tivo does not get the guide update in time it will think it already recorded these episodes and so will not record them when they actually air. The chance of everyone getting that update in time is slim at this point.
Big IF there.. I have seen the new style update method be much more aggressive in pushing out these changes to boxes over the past few years. If the box gets an update push removing these they'll get rescheduled as long as it gets it before 8PM EDT.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:07 PM   #6
dave13077

On this subject.. Is there a way to record a certain channel for a certain time frame regardless of what is on? I want to record the Daytona 500 but I think I would have to go in a just record what ever is in the guide for how ever long I think the race will last. Is there another way, if not there should be
dave13077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:20 PM   #7
Len McRiddles

Set up a manual recording.
Len McRiddles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:22 PM   #8
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Of course, this works both ways - if, somehow, the schedules are updated to take the 7 PM start into account, and then the race is postponed again, then new episodes of House and Alcatraz end up being aired after all with all of the SPs missing them.

(Hopefully, if this does happen, or if NASCAR decides at 7:00 to wait until 8:00 to start and Fox decides to air House an hour early (they have done this before with The Simpsons, albeit with a repeat), Fox is smart enough to air a repeat.

In any event, keep an eye on the schedule, since whatever Fox airs between 8 and 10 Eastern will be considered as new episodes of House and Alcatraz as far as TiVo is concerned, it might not schedule it because it thinks "it was recorded in the past 28 days".)
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:00 PM   #9
dave13077

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len McRiddles View Post
Set up a manual recording.
How is that done? I looked through the menus and couldn't find a spot to do that.. Thx
Old 02-27-2012, 01:11 PM   #10
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Big IF there.. I have seen the new style update method be much more aggressive in pushing out these changes to boxes over the past few years. If the box gets an update push removing these they'll get rescheduled as long as it gets it before 8PM EDT.
I don't know what 'new style update method' you are talking about. Tivo updates their servers and any Tivo that makes a connection after that gets the update. They don't push anything out. We (TCF) had an issue with this last summer with the President giving a speech. It was announced the day before and the update was not made available until the afternoon of the day of the speech. Any Tivos that connected before the update was made, had to make a manual connection to get the new data.

It's now after 2pm. The announcement was made about 3.5 hours ago. The update still hasn't reached Zap2It. Which means it is likely at least a few more hours before it gets to Tivo. Don't hold your breath for an update this evening.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:19 PM   #11
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13077 View Post
How is that done? I looked through the menus and couldn't find a spot to do that.. Thx
Find Programs->Record By Time/Channel->Set Up Manual Recording
Old 02-27-2012, 01:22 PM   #12
dave13077

Quote:
Find Programs->Record By Time/Channel->Set Up Manual Recording
Thx. Said that I have had a Tivo for 3 years and didn't know about this.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:04 PM   #13
Scyber
Former ReplayTV User

House and Alcatraz are on Hulu plus, so those that subscribe shouldn't need to worry too much.
Scyber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:12 PM   #14
rainwater

Tribune has updated the listings. TiVo doesn't have them yet but if wait until closer to 7PM EST to force a connection attempt, it should update.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:21 PM   #15
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
Tribune has updated the listings.
Where are you seeing that? I just checked and it is still showing House/Alcatraz.

Last edited by WhiskeyTango : 02-27-2012 at 02:40 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:55 PM   #16
lpwcomp

Quote:
Where are you seeing that? I just checked and it is still showing House/Alcatraz.
(in bad French accent) "nut anymore".

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:06 PM   #17
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
(in bad French accent) "nut anymore".
It's still not changed. It has the Nascar race on now.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:06 PM   #18
Dan203
Super Moderator

How long is the Daytona 500? (I'm not a NASCAR fan) Is this something that is likely to effect West coast people? Or just the East coast?

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:12 PM   #19
dave13077

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
How long is the Daytona 500? (I'm not a NASCAR fan) Is this something that is likely to effect West coast people? Or just the East coast?

Dan
If the race goes off on time (7pm eastern) it should last around 3 1/2 hours. If there are rain delays during the race than it is anyone's guess. A couple of years ago the Daytona race that is in July had rain delays and didn't finish until 2am. That race also started earlier than 7pm.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:14 PM   #20
bobfrank

Unfortunately, Dan, it always seems that if programs get bumped on the east coast the are also bumped out west even if there is no time conflict in the west.
bobfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:26 PM   #21
rainwater

Quote:
It's updated for me and should be in the next few hours for everyone. If you wait until around 6 to force a connection, hopefully it will be updated on TiVos servers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg daytonaonfox.jpg (12.9 KB, 25 views)
Old 02-27-2012, 03:27 PM   #22
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
It's updated for me and should be in the next few hours for everyone. If you wait until around 6 to force a connection, hopefully it will be updated on TiVos servers.
Thanks.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:44 PM   #23
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfrank View Post
Unfortunately, Dan, it always seems that if programs get bumped on the east coast the are also bumped out west even if there is no time conflict in the west.
Correct. When Fox knows that something will be pre-empted in the east, almost always they will not air it in the west (for example, the Coca-Cola 600 on the day before Memorial Day ends before 8 PM Pacific time, but the Fox stations in the west air local programming in prime time that night). Fox used to have "west coast only" airings of shows (usually reruns, but they did burn off new episodes of the last season of 'Til Death this way) from 7 to 8 Pacific on NFL doubleheader days, but they stopped doing this in 2010.

Fox certainly won't air new episodes of popular shows to just 20% or of the country.

As I said in another thread, San Francisco's Fox station has already updated its schedule and does not have any Fox programming scheduled for after the race.
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:00 PM   #24
Archangel00

Very little difference in NASCAR plate racing and House in quite some time anyway so what's the big deal? Enjoy the sheer boredom, interrupted with a few moments of destruction, pain, and utter nonsense, only presented in a different format tonight.
Archangel00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:28 PM   #25
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
I don't know what 'new style update method' you are talking about. Tivo updates their servers and any Tivo that makes a connection after that gets the update. They don't push anything out. We (TCF) had an issue with this last summer with the President giving a speech. It was announced the day before and the update was not made available until the afternoon of the day of the speech. Any Tivos that connected before the update was made, had to make a manual connection to get the new data.
On occasion, I have seen my guide update without the normal call home. My Tivos usually call home in the middle of the night.
I usually thumb through the guide as part of my morning routine. Sometimes when I look at the guide in the evening I'll see a time slot suddenly change. For a moment, I see what was going to be on, then it quickly changes to what will be on.
So apparently, TiVo has a way to update the guide in between the normal calls.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:09 PM   #26
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
On occasion, I have seen my guide update without the normal call home. My Tivos usually call home in the middle of the night.
I usually thumb through the guide as part of my morning routine. Sometimes when I look at the guide in the evening I'll see a time slot suddenly change. For a moment, I see what was going to be on, then it quickly changes to what will be on.
What you are seeing is a part of the Guide caching TiVo implemented several years ago to make the guide faster. The update of guide data actually occurs during the daily connection (there is no other time that it gets guide changes), but you will see this behavior you experience when TiVo has already cached the guide info for that channel and time.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:11 PM   #27
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
I'm still not sure that is the case. I saw the same thing you just described about 5 minutes ago when I checked to see if I had gotten the update. Except, it was the change for the Fox afternoon schedule going from the usual daytime talk shows to NASCAR. I just checked it several more times and each time is shows the same behavior, old shows at first, new programming repopulating.

I didn't receive the latest update and my last connection was at 3:11pm today. I think the connection times may be random and you may just happen to catch the guide after it has updated with the daily call. I just checked my other Tivo, last connection today 11:57am, next connection tomorrow 2:41pm. I am going to leave that untouched and see if I get a "pushed out" update from Tivo.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:19 PM   #28
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfrank View Post
I haven't found that to be true with football. I know you guys regularly miss out on the Sunday night cartoons due to football running over, but we never miss them here in the west. Not sure if something special like a once a year race will make a difference on that front.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:42 PM   #29
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
I'm still not sure that is the case. I saw the same thing you just described about 5 minutes ago when I checked to see if I had gotten the update. Except, it was the change for the Fox afternoon schedule going from the usual daytime talk shows to NASCAR. I just checked it several more times and each time is shows the same behavior, old shows at first, new programming repopulating.

I didn't receive the latest update and my last connection was at 3:11pm today. I think the connection times may be random and you may just happen to catch the guide after it has updated with the daily call. I just checked my other Tivo, last connection today 11:57am, next connection tomorrow 2:41pm. I am going to leave that untouched and see if I get a "pushed out" update from Tivo.
The difference is the same as the example from last year you gave, broadband Tivos do check in a bit more often than S1 and S2 units that only ever assumed a single daily check. In the old days you would never be able to see a change during the day for that evenings programming, now there's a good chance you might.

I would suspect that there's a flag on their end that says "hey, updated guide data here, when you get a few maybe you should update" in these situations.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:18 PM   #30
tomhorsley

At least FOX's TV schedule page finally lists NASCAR (now that the race has started :-). But the only hint it gives about House and Alcatraz is that they will be rescheduled later in March. Nothing more specific available.

I guess I'd better unplug the Tivo this evening before 8 so it won't think it recorded them.
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote