TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-13-2012, 09:32 PM   #1
kelkil79

Tivo Problems

Hello, I have tivo series 3 and of late it has started not working well. It's kind of a strange problem but I hope someone on here can help me out. We have it hooked up to a regular antenna, and it has always worked well, but a few days ago the shows started to not get fully recorded, the menu was taking longer to bring up, it's basically been on the fritz. At first I assumed it must be the hard drive b/c that had failed once before but here's the kicker: I found out it works fine WITHOUT the antenna plugged into it.

That's right, once I plug the antenna in it starts having problems for some reason. An interesting piece of info is when I have the antenna unplugged and I'm in the tivo menu the "TIVO guy" in the top left moves normally, but once I plug the antenna in he starts lagging out, it's weird, anyone ever heard about anything like this? Also is there anyway to use the "cable" input with a antenna?

Sorry, if I seem stupid about this stuff, but I really would appreciate any help. Thanks, Kelly
kelkil79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:20 PM   #2
lpwcomp

When the antenna is unplugged, your TiVo is not recording anything (no signal), so it could still be a disk or power supply problem. I would suggest running kickstart 54.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:38 PM   #3
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Is it an original Series 3 (OLED) or a TivoHD?

Original Series 3 machines have been cropping up with power supply issues.
Even with the TivoHD, I would suspect the power supply first.

Outdoor antenna? Is it grounded properly? (assuming they need to be grounded)?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:32 AM   #4
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Is it an original Series 3 (OLED) or a TivoHD?

Original Series 3 machines have been cropping up with power supply issues.
Even with the TivoHD, I would suspect the power supply first.

Outdoor antenna? Is it grounded properly? (assuming they need to be grounded)?
When does this power supply issue typically start to hit? My girlfriend is using two of my S3 boxes from 2006. If it's possible there might be an issue with the PS I need to be prepared to fix it quickly in case it happens to those.

What are the typical symptoms? Where is the best place to get a power supply for the original S3?
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:40 PM   #5
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
When does this power supply issue typically start to hit? My girlfriend is using two of my S3 boxes from 2006. If it's possible there might be an issue with the PS I need to be prepared to fix it quickly in case it happens to those.

What are the typical symptoms? Where is the best place to get a power supply for the original S3?
The posts I've seen here, started fairly recently. Within the last year?

Typically it is just the capacitors on the power supply failing. If you're handy with a soldering iron, the fix is replacing the capacitors with new ones that have equal specs. This thread has a decent capacitor comparison photo to make it easier for you to know what to look for.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=479176

ETA: This is one of the earlier threads specific to the Series 3.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=473394

ETA #2: If you don't want to do the work, you can find power supplies at Weaknees.com or probably on e-bay.

ETA #3: Another thread w/ pictures.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=483814

F*CK CANCER!

Last edited by steve614 : 05-15-2012 at 09:41 AM.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:05 PM   #6
kelkil79

TIVO problems 2

Thanks for everyone's replies, I'm still not sure what to think, I'll try to answere the best I can. I believe it's a TIVO HD, it says "TIVO series 3 HD on the front, and the antenna is the "antennas direct" indoor/outdoor brand but we keep it indoors, I don't think it needs to be ground, but it's worked fine for a while now.

Anyways I called Tivo today and the guy took some diagnostics and basically said that he thinks the Tivo is being "overwhelmed" buy the signal strength and that I need an antenna splitter or an attenuator i guess. I tried to move the antenna around to find a weaker spot but still that isn't working that well, still have about the same problem.

So, most of you think it's the power supply? I guess I'll call again tomorrow and see if I can get deeper into this and work something out. I really appreciate the input, anyone else heard of the TIVO being lagged by the antenna strength? Thanks, Kelly
Old 05-14-2012, 09:28 PM   #7
mattack

Does it have buttons similar to the remote on the front, along with a display that shows what it's recording? Or just LEDs?
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:41 AM   #8
kelkil79

Yes, it has a circular pattern of buttons on the far right, hope that helps.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:17 AM   #9
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Just for clarification:

The original Series 3

The TivoHD

A strong signal has been known to cause problems, but it is usually people that use cable who experience this.

I would look at the signal strength meter.
Tivo Central -> Messages and Settings -> Settings -> Channels -> Signal Strength - Antenna.

If any of your channels are pegging 100%, that might not be such a good thing. You might try attenuating the antenna signal to around 90%.

F*CK CANCER!
Old 05-15-2012, 09:54 AM   #10
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Just for clarification:

A strong signal has been known to cause problems, but it is usually people that use cable who experience this.

I would look at the signal strength meter.
Tivo Central -> Messages and Settings -> Settings -> Channels -> Signal Strength - Antenna.

If any of your channels are pegging 100%, that might not be such a good thing. You might try attenuating the antenna signal to around 90%.
The reason that 100% may not be good is that TiVo can't show anything over 100%, so if your signal were say 150% the TiVo would still read 100%.

Old 05-15-2012, 02:31 PM   #11
kelkil79

So yes, it is the original Series 3. I do remember moving the antenna around and pinging at 100 before on some channels, but yesterday I tried to check the signal and it was lagging so bad It was hard to get into. I moved the antenna around the room and even into my TV stand but it's still messing up. Question: wouldn't moving the antenna into a worse signal spot make it work correctly if it was a problem with too much signal? Thanks again, Kelly