TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-04-2012, 02:12 AM   #1
Maurice

Retiring 5 varied older Tivo's - have questions.

After a remodel and whole system upgrade to DirecTV HD, I have 5 working Tivos that I will retire. I have never sold used Tivos and have been looking at eBay - except for 1, they likely have no or little value.

I have done the "reset everything" - in all of them - anything else I must do to clear any identifiable information?

Questions:

1) I have a Series 1 Phillips with Lifetime that is still grandfathered for one time transfer - bought it and activated it in July 1999 - surely has served me well for many years (hard drive was upgraded at some point) . Can a buyer or giftee use this grandfather subscription to then transfer lifetime to a new TiVo? If so, this one may have some value - but hard to explain on a listing. Or can I just save this in case I return to TiVo on some future date (must I save the hardware - or just the fact that it is mine is sufficient?)

2) I have TWO Pioneer's 810s with DVD. One was not being used, and when I checked status it says TiVo Basic - 17. The other was on a $6.95 month to month subscription which I just cancelled. Status after repeating guided setup still says Good Standing. I assume after a month it will revert to Lifetime Tivo basic as selected. Will it? These may have some limited value, but with shipping, packing, etc, probably not worth selling. (I will miss the ability to create DVDs)

3) Then I have TWO that show "account closed" - One is a Series 1 Phillips and the other a DirecTV HR10-250 - I assume these have zero value. What does one do with these?

I am, for now, Tivo-less - looked at the new Direct TV offering, but went with their HR34 because of whole home DVR.

Thanks for your guidance.
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:53 AM   #2
steve614
what ru lookin at?

1) I believe whoever owns the box gets the one time lifetime transfer provided that the transfer offer hasn't already been used.
What I would probably do is go ahead and buy a Premiere and do the lifetime transfer myself, then sell that Premiere for a profit.

2) I think the DVD units with Tivo Basic are worth something as long as they are functional. If anything someone could use them for the spare parts or the software image.

3) I would say these (if still in working condition) may be worth something to somebody just for spare parts.

Who knows? Offer them up for sale here in the TCF e-bay auction central forum.
You might not get any bites, but you can at least say you tried.

Edit just to note: It's a shame that the new Direct TV Tivo has been castrated. I understand your decision.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:19 AM   #3
Maurice

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
1) I believe whoever owns the box gets the one time lifetime transfer provided that the transfer offer hasn't already been used.
What I would probably do is go ahead and buy a Premiere and do the lifetime transfer myself, then sell that Premiere for a profit.

2) I think the DVD units with Tivo Basic are worth something as long as they are functional. If anything someone could use them for the spare parts or the software image.

3) I would say these (if still in working condition) may be worth something to somebody just for spare parts.

Who knows? Offer them up for sale here in the TCF e-bay auction central forum.
You might not get any bites, but you can at least say you tried.

Edit just to note: It's a shame that the new Direct TV Tivo has been castrated. I understand your decision.
That is an idea - Upgrading a Premier and selling it. Did not think of that. Will look into it. Thanks for our answers.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:26 AM   #4
farmermac
Super user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice View Post
That is an idea - Upgrading a Premier and selling it. Did not think of that. Will look into it. Thanks for our answers.
You can pick up premieres for $49-79 refurbed from TiVo. they just had a $49 special. I'd look at bundling the older tivos in one package to maximize your return. Some sort of reseller/fixer might be interested.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:03 AM   #5
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice View Post
3) Then I have TWO that show "account closed" - One is a Series 1 Phillips and the other a DirecTV HR10-250 - I assume these have zero value. What does one do with these?
The S1 Phillips is worth keeping around because it is the only unsub Tivo that you can use to make manual recordings (like a VCR). Won't get much if you sell it (last one I sold brought $20) but you might find some other fun thing to do with it (security system, etc.).
Old 06-04-2012, 07:26 PM   #6
magnus
Tivo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig

The S1 Phillips is worth keeping around because it is the only unsub Tivo that you can use to make manual recordings (like a VCR). Won't get much if you sell it (last one I sold brought $20) but you might find some other fun thing to do with it (security system, etc.).
The two Toshiba 810s should do manual recordings as well.
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:00 PM   #7
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus View Post
The two Toshiba 810s should do manual recordings as well.
He said they were Pioneers and that they have Basic lifetime so no need to revert to manual recording.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:03 PM   #8
Maurice

Thanks for the tips about Manual recording.

Problem is, all would be on SD, and DirecTV provided enough tuners and capacity to record as much as I possibly could, so not worth setting the SD Tivos up up. I will likely just keep the grandfathered lifetime in case I get another Tivo in the future.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:04 PM   #9
shwru980r

I think you could sell any of them that can still record a show without paying an additional fee for service. Be sure to state clearly that they can record without paying an additional fee.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote