Forum Jump

Old 05-14-2012, 09:09 AM   #1
mwhip
All better

NBC Upfronts 2012 - Schedule Released

Information from The Futon Critic:

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2...20120513nbc01/

NBC FALL 2012-13 SCHEDULE
*New programs in UPPER CASE; all times ET)

MONDAY
8-10 p.m. - "The Voice"
10-11 p.m. - "REVOLUTION"

TUESDAY
8-9 p.m. -"The Voice"
9-9:30 p.m. - "GO ON"
9:30-10 p.m. - "THE NEW NORMAL"
10-11 p.m. - "Parenthood"

WEDNESDAY
8-8:30 p.m. - "ANIMAL PRACTICE"
8:30-9 p.m. - "GUYS WITH KIDS"
9-10 p.m. - "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit"
10-11 p.m. - "CHICAGO FIRE"

THURSDAY
8-8:30 p.m. - "30 Rock"
8:30-9 p.m. - "Up All Night"
9-9:30 p.m. - "The Office"
9:30-10 p.m. - "Parks and Recreation"
10-11 p.m. - "Rock Center with Brian Williams"

FRIDAY
8-8:30 p.m. - "Whitney"
8:30-9 p.m. - "Community"
9-10 p.m. - "Grimm"
10-11 p.m. - "Dateline NBC"

SATURDAY
Encore programming

SUNDAY (Fall 2012)
7- 8:15 p.m. -- "Football Night in America"
8:15-11:30 p.m. -- "NBC Sunday Night Football"

SUNDAY (Post-football/Winter 2013)
7-8 p.m. - "Dateline NBC"
8-9 p.m. - "Fashion Star"
9-10 p.m. - "The Celebrity Apprentice"
10-11 p.m. - "DO NO HARM"

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:11 AM   #2
WhiskeyTango

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=487286
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:14 AM   #3
mwhip
All better

There is a link at the top of The Futon Critic page that will take you to previews for each new show

Gamertag - mwhip
Old 05-14-2012, 09:15 AM   #4
mwhip
All better

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
That is a general discussion I figured we could have a thread for each network.

Gamertag - mwhip
Old 05-14-2012, 10:55 AM   #5
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Wow....nothing...and I mean NOTHING that I will watch...(other than football)...

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:05 AM   #6
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

I'm gonna check out Animal Practice just because it's animals and Justin Kirk but it'll have a short leash.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:26 AM   #7
sharkster

Wow, I didn't realize how little programming I watch on NBC these days. I only watch Whitney, Rock Center, and sometimes I catch Dateline.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:58 PM   #8
pkscout

I'll watch Revolution. It'll get cancelled. You have all been warned.
pkscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:11 PM   #9
sieglinde

I will give some of the shows a shot.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:37 PM   #10
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

If you're not watching Parenthood, you're missing out. One of the best dramas on TV. But aside from that, and the Thursday comedies (plus Community on Fridays), that's all I watch on that network. Haven't checked out the new shows yet, though.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:53 PM   #11
Alfer
WOOSAH!

Wow..only 1-2 shows I think on that list I plan on watching.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:12 PM   #12
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateRob View Post
If you're not watching Parenthood, you're missing out. One of the best dramas on TV. But aside from that, and the Thursday comedies (plus Community on Fridays), that's all I watch on that network. Haven't checked out the new shows yet, though.
I think I probably watch more NBC than most. I think because they are in such bad shape, their shows have a bigger risk/reward factor. But I watch a lot of their comedies and usually give them all a shot. I agree about Parenthood, although I find it a bit hokey and unbelievable sometimes, I still enjoy the show because I like the characters and how they interact (and for those of you who like Sorkin, the cadence of the speech in Paretnhood reminds me of Sorkin, without the sarcasm).

I think NBC has a lot to offer but their cred is so bad now that nobody cares to watch. Really, this year COULD be their opportunity to get some buzz since they have both SNF AND the Olympics to push their lineup.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:30 PM   #13
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

It will be interesting to see if NBC can ever truly recover, or if they'll just hover near the bottom until the other networks' ratings sink low enough to match them.

It gets to a point where the quality of the show doesn't really matter. If the audience isn't there for other shows on the network, it won't be there for the new shows, either. Awake was an excellent show and just never got the sampling.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:32 PM   #14
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

ABC was in pretty much the same situation 10 years ago where people were wondering if it could ever regain its luster, before Lost and Desperate Housewives gave it some much-needed buzz. Granted, the TV landscape is even more fractured now than it was back then, but I still think NBC can come back.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:39 PM   #15
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
It will be interesting to see if NBC can ever truly recover, or if they'll just hover near the bottom until the other networks' ratings sink low enough to match them.

It gets to a point where the quality of the show doesn't really matter. If the audience isn't there for other shows on the network, it won't be there for the new shows, either. Awake was an excellent show and just never got the sampling.
Wasn't NBC in this same boat in the late 70s and early 80s when Silverman was running the network? (I forget his first name). I remember the jokes about that "train" series which was supposed to be like their version of The Love Boat, but tanked big time. It wasn't until The Cosby Show that they finally pulled themselves out of it. It might just take one REAL buzzworthy show to at least make them respectable. They were close with Heroes a few years back but the show couldn't sustain it because the writing got stupid. But there was a lot of buzz for the show for awhile.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:48 PM   #16
allan
I survived the Mayan

Quote:

That's my problem, not only with NBC, but with TV in general. There are few shows that I regularly watch anymore. If I don't watch, I don't see ads for good shows (if any). I'm sure there are good shows, maybe even on NBC, that I've never tried, just because I don't know of their existence.

BEEP
allan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:53 PM   #17
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateRob View Post
ABC was in pretty much the same situation 10 years ago where people were wondering if it could ever regain its luster, before Lost and Desperate Housewives gave it some much-needed buzz. Granted, the TV landscape is even more fractured now than it was back then, but I still think NBC can come back.
Yes, ABC was in horrible shape after they ran "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" into the ground. Then in fall of 2004 they were able to snap out of it with LOST and Desperate Housewives, and then Grey's Anatomy started in the spring of 2005. However, I think the landscape has changed significantly since then. What we thought of as "horrible" for ABC in 2003 was significantly better than what NBC is currently doing. I think there comes a point where no matter how good the show is, it just can't generate the necessary buzz because with no viewers, it's basically happening in a vacuum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
Wasn't NBC in this same boat in the late 70s and early 80s when Silverman was running the network? (I forget his first name). I remember the jokes about that "train" series which was supposed to be like their version of The Love Boat, but tanked big time. It wasn't until The Cosby Show that they finally pulled themselves out of it. It might just take one REAL buzzworthy show to at least make them respectable. They were close with Heroes a few years back but the show couldn't sustain it because the writing got stupid. But there was a lot of buzz for the show for awhile.
Don't know about the late 70s/early 80s. Wasn't paying attention to the business back then. However, I did just hear an interview with Warren Littlefield last week and he said that during its first season, Cheers finished the season as the lowest-rated show on all of network television. The network asked if they had anything better to replace it with, and when the answer was no, they decided to renew it. The next season, The Cosby Show came on and brought the eyeballs, and suddenly Cheers had the lead in it needed.

But having said that, I just don't know if it's possible to create that buzz anymore. When LOST debuted in 2004 with over 20 million viewers, that was a huge hit. Today, a huge hit would barely get 10 million viewers. And shows are getting renewed with an average of only 4-5 million viewers. At some point, the blip these shows create just isn't big enough to generate the necessary buzz.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:12 PM   #18
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY

TC CLUB MEMBER
Smash doesn't appear in the weekly lineup, though we know it's been renewed... it was on Monday, so maybe it will be back when The Voice is done?

Come join us <dates TBD>!
martinp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:16 PM   #19
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinp13 View Post
Smash doesn't appear in the weekly lineup, though we know it's been renewed... it was on Monday, so maybe it will be back when The Voice is done?
The showrunner got fired so they will probably take a little while to retool it and figure out what they want to change for S2. I'm guessing it will come back in midseason.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:19 PM   #20
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

See signature.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:33 PM   #21
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
Wow....nothing...and I mean NOTHING that I will watch...(other than football)...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
Wow, I didn't realize how little programming I watch on NBC these days. I only watch Whitney, Rock Center, and sometimes I catch Dateline.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfer View Post
Wow..only 1-2 shows I think on that list I plan on watching.
Whitney & Community for me.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:00 PM   #22
Peter000

Grimm and the occasional football for me. I know Parenthood is a quality show, but just never got into it.
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:06 PM   #23
mattack

Community on Fri?? Breaking up 'Must See TV'? Well, that MAY be a bonus, because at least now I can have padding on 30 Rock without causing a conflict on another station (i.e. all NBC Thurs night shows need padding)... Though by then I *might* have enough Viggle Best Buy cards for an Elite.. heh heh.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:03 AM   #24
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Yes, ABC was in horrible shape after they ran "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" into the ground. Then in fall of 2004 they were able to snap out of it with LOST and Desperate Housewives, and then Grey's Anatomy started in the spring of 2005. However, I think the landscape has changed significantly since then. What we thought of as "horrible" for ABC in 2003 was significantly better than what NBC is currently doing. I think there comes a point where no matter how good the show is, it just can't generate the necessary buzz because with no viewers, it's basically happening in a vacuum.

Don't know about the late 70s/early 80s. Wasn't paying attention to the business back then. However, I did just hear an interview with Warren Littlefield last week and he said that during its first season, Cheers finished the season as the lowest-rated show on all of network television. The network asked if they had anything better to replace it with, and when the answer was no, they decided to renew it. The next season, The Cosby Show came on and brought the eyeballs, and suddenly Cheers had the lead in it needed.

But having said that, I just don't know if it's possible to create that buzz anymore. When LOST debuted in 2004 with over 20 million viewers, that was a huge hit. Today, a huge hit would barely get 10 million viewers. And shows are getting renewed with an average of only 4-5 million viewers. At some point, the blip these shows create just isn't big enough to generate the necessary buzz.
Oh, I agree, the "buzz" these days is not going to be that big, but for NBC, it really doesn't have to be, since they can only go up.

TV has many success stories like Cheers. MASH was a bust it's first year, as we Seinfeld, to of the seminal shows of all time. I think that's why networks stick with shows they feel have some potential.

This is the Silverman I was referring to:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Silverman

And some info on that era at NBC:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBC#1970s_doldrums
Old 05-15-2012, 10:13 AM   #25
refried

So is The Biggest Loser dead?
refried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:17 AM   #26
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by refried
So is The Biggest Loser dead?
No, it will be back. It's just not on the fall schedule.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:02 PM   #27
Haps
eh?

I'm only 5 eps in but I was enjoying awake. Would have thought it had legs. That's a dissapointment.
Haps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:12 PM   #28
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haps View Post
I'm only 5 eps in but I was enjoying awake. Would have thought it had legs. That's a dissapointment.
It's very good. The fact that it got no viewers and therefore got canceled had nothing to do with the quality of the show. The only reason it was canceled was because it was on NBC. If CBS had aired this show, it would be a huge hit.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:35 PM   #29
marksman
ID-10-T

I think one thing the networks need to do is extend their range of building buzz. They are used to relying on days or at most weeks but now it can take a month or even a year for a show to catch on.

In the modern Internet age with so many entertainment outlets it can take a long time for even excellent shows to build an audience .

One would think the networks would come out of pilots with a handful of shows they believe can be successful. If that is the case then they need to really support those shows so they can build an audience even if it takes more than a season.

My problem is I never feel like the networks really believe in their shows it always feels more like they are just gambling randomly.

I know the cable channels don't have to program as many hours but I know 90% of the time when a new cable drama launches I am at least going to get a full season. Creatively I don't know how they expect people to make quality shows, especially dramas, that might end in some random number of episodes.

They are too short-term and results oriented. If they really felt a show was really high quality then their job is to get people to watch it. If they can not determine what shows are good and bad they should be in a different line of work.

Sometimes networks do give shows a chance at it never fully pans out, like Arrested Development. It got a fair chance and never became a hit. That being said if they would have canceled it the six shows they tried to replace it with would not likely do better so they really did not lose money sticking with a project they felt was quality. This needs to be the exception rather than the rule. Their best pilots need to be given extraordinary chances to succeed instead of just making it a numbers game where if you throw up 100 good to mediocre shows two might stick.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:40 PM   #30
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksman View Post
I think one thing the networks need to do is extend their range of building buzz. They are used to relying on days or at most weeks but now it can take a month or even a year for a show to catch on.

In the modern Internet age with so many entertainment outlets it can take a long time for even excellent shows to build an audience .

One would think the networks would come out of pilots with a handful of shows they believe can be successful. If that is the case then they need to really support those shows so they can build an audience even if it takes more than a season.

My problem is I never feel like the networks really believe in their shows it always feels more like they are just gambling randomly.

I know the cable channels don't have to program as many hours but I know 90% of the time when a new cable drama launches I am at least going to get a full season. Creatively I don't know how they expect people to make quality shows, especially dramas, that might end in some random number of episodes.

They are too short-term and results oriented. If they really felt a show was really high quality then their job is to get people to watch it. If they can not determine what shows are good and bad they should be in a different line of work.

Sometimes networks do give shows a chance at it never fully pans out, like Arrested Development. It got a fair chance and never became a hit. That being said if they would have canceled it the six shows they tried to replace it with would not likely do better so they really did not lose money sticking with a project they felt was quality. This needs to be the exception rather than the rule. Their best pilots need to be given extraordinary chances to succeed instead of just making it a numbers game where if you throw up 100 good to mediocre shows two might stick.
The networks make it too difficult to watch a show once it has already started. Most OnDemand cable systems only have the last 5 episodes of a show, as does Hulu and other sites. These restrictions are preventing new viewers from joining once a show starts to get good buzz. Most people aren't going to pay for a show (iTunes,Amazon,etc.) that they have never seen before.