TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-10-2012, 04:18 PM   #1
caryrae73

Question New youtube app

I have been playing around with the new youetube app after the new spring update. One thing I can't figure out is when you go to say featured and it shows the different playlists like YouTube Trends, it says it has 2767 videos. How do go in and see a list of the videos? I have tried to figure it out but can't, maybe it's because I use a Harmony remote.

Last edited by caryrae73 : 05-10-2012 at 04:33 PM.
caryrae73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:22 PM   #2
Blacknotice

I feel you. i lost my ability to go through my subscriptions individually
Blacknotice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:18 AM   #3
jakerome

Yup. Playing around with YouTube today. The old app, it worked fine with 2 HUGE issues: awful video quality & favorites/ playlists were busted. Otherwise, I liked the interface.

Now, what do we get? AWESOME video quality. Favorites/ Playlists FINALLY work. THat's the good. The bad...

1) Terribly slow.
2) Normal remote control functions no longer work.
3) No ability to find individual subscriptions. None, zip zilch zero. It's as if the folks at YouTube aren't familiar with how real people watch YouTube. We don't "subscribe" to channels because we plan to watch those hundreds of videos in sequence. We use them as shortcuts. At least we used to. Subscriptions & friends link are now totally useless.
4) Autoplay the first item in a playlist is annoying. Again, the logic is impeccably awful.

So thanks Google engineers. You've now completely ruined my ability to easily browse for friends videos on YouTube. Now, anytime I want to watch a video, I pretty much need to open up my web browser, search for a particular video I want to watch, and add it to a playlist. It's hard to emphasize what a stupid watchflow that is.

Damnit.

I've been begging TiVo to improve video quality & fix playlists for 5 years. We now have an update that addresses that and eviscerates every other useful function. So terribly disappointing. Total fail. The app is clearly designed so people are shoehorned into using YouTube the way Google Executives dream about, as if they're just one force-fed TiVo app away from the big leagues.

Throw it out Google. Start over. Design an app targeted to the way people ACTUALLY use YouTube, and stop outputting crap designed to funnel users into some theoretical future. It's terrible. It won't work. Fewer people will watch YouTube.

I'll say this, I may watch YouTube more or less than before. But I simply won't ever browse for anything to watch using the new app.

There's a terrible irony here, because the way Netflix worked before forced you to set up the Instant Watch queue from a computer, which wasn't so terrible for 30 minute programs. On YouTube less used playlists were broken but the discovery/bookmark (subscriptions) mechanism was fairly robust. Which made sense for short-form video. Now on Netflix we can add to our Instant Queue. That's nice, not critical but nice. Meanwhile, on YouTube, we're new practically forced to visit the website and set up playlists. Which is inane for short-form video.

Two thumbs way down, with props for FINALLY enabling decent quality video about 5 years after it should've been in place.
jakerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:32 AM   #4
Stevesreed

I can't believe they messed up the interface this badly. The only way I've been able to to watch videos in my favorites list is by starting with the first video and skipping to the next continuously until I get to the video I want.

Not only is that awkward, its just plane wrong as basic playback functionality. It forces you to watch the newest video first no matter what. If you put in a video in three parts, it plays them back to you last part first.

Please tell me I'm doing something wrong, and there is a mode that just gives me a list of my favorites and lets me pick one to play...
Stevesreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:40 AM   #5
TerpBE
Go Terps!

I don't want to crap on the effort, but yeah, this is pretty terrible to use.
TerpBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:46 AM   #6
Stevesreed

Ah, I figure out how to at least see my favorites playlist. I have to start playing the first video, then hit pause, then press down for info, then down again for related videos and down again for current play list.

I will obviously not be using my Tivo for YouTube viewing. And since the Netflix app is still not as nice as the one on my Apple TV, Tivo nothing more than a basic DVR for me. Just used for recording and playing back broadcast TV.
Stevesreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:32 AM   #7
jakerome

One Box. 2 years later, promise unfulfilled. Tomorrow I accept reality and buy an Apple TV. Not abandoning TiVo, but one less reason to recommend the service.
jakerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:35 AM   #8
aaronwt
HD Addict

Navigation is convoluted in this YouTube application. Although at least there is HD now. It does make it more difficult than needed to see my subscriptions. And it's not as as responsive as I would like.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:45 AM   #9
timatkn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakerome View Post
One Box. 2 years later, promise unfulfilled. Tomorrow I accept reality and buy an Apple TV. Not abandoning TiVo, but one less reason to recommend the service.
Love my TIVO for what it is, a DVR. I recently gave up on all the extras and bought and Apple TV. I could get my TIVO to transfer videos directly from computer or from itunes and watch on TV but it was a PITA. Could never get my photos to show consistently on the TIVO. With the Apple TV that is all very simple now. Then I noticed how much easier netflix and youtube were, I basically just use my TIVO as a DVR now imagine that.... I do like I can transfer videos from TIVO to my iMac. Not unhappy wiht TIVO, just isn't going to be the one box I was hoping when I got it.

T
timatkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:54 AM   #10
Bighouse
200 Club Member

I was hoping for better. Guess I'll just have to use my apple tv for YouTube.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:15 AM   #11
TerpBE
Go Terps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighouse View Post
I was hoping for better.
I was just hoping for "not worse". Other than picture quality, though, it didn't meet that expectation.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:37 AM   #12
TerpBE
Go Terps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevesreed View Post
I can't believe they messed up the interface this badly. The only way I've been able to to watch videos in my favorites list is by starting with the first video and skipping to the next continuously until I get to the video I want.
When the first video is playing, you can hit the down arrow 2 or 3 times, and it will bring up the thumbnails of all the favorited videos that you can scroll through horizontally. However, be careful using up/down because it can be slow to respond, and you may end up exiting to the previous screen once it applies all the clicks that it has buffered. It's pretty much like navigating the menus while using one of those drunk driving simulators that slows your reaction time.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:42 AM   #13
caryrae73

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerpBE View Post
When the first video is playing, you can hit the down arrow 2 or 3 times, and it will bring up the thumbnails of all the favorited videos that you can scroll through horizontally. However, be careful using up/down because it can be slow to respond, and you may end up exiting to the previous screen once it applies all the clicks that it has buffered. It's pretty much like navigating the menus while using one of those drunk driving simulators that slows your reaction time.
You can press the right or left arrow while video is playing too. I was hoping to see the list of videos without having play the 1st video.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:25 AM   #14
gweempose

The new Netflix app = epic fail.
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:39 AM   #15
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
Blame Netflix. It is their design.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:35 PM   #16
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
If it's an "epic fail" then the Netflix apps on other devices have failed also. Since the Netflix application on the TiVo is now consistent with the Netflix app on most other devices.(except for the native resolution output capability of the TiVo)
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:36 PM   #17
jrtroo
User

I hate this "epic fail"- It is way overused. Do people understand what "epic" or "fail" even mean? This is more "strangely problematic" or "confusingly erratic" or even "clumsy".

Anyhow, do you mean youtube? I would leave netflix out of this thread, as they already have their own. There, comments are apparently being compiled to share with netflix.

Have the youtube implementations on other devices started at this level and improved over time? Or does Google write an app and leave alone for long periods of time? Who should comments/complaints be sent to?
Old 05-11-2012, 02:23 PM   #18
news4me2

Link to a YouTube overview on how to use the "YouTube on TV" app:

http://support.google.com/youtube/bi...&page=guide.cs

They also have a live mock up of the "YouTube on TV" app where you can navigate thru the various features/screens: http://www.youtube.com/leanback
news4me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:44 PM   #19
smbaker

I really thought the new interface sucked. I found it harder to use, didn't look as good (I don't like the color scheme), and can't figure out what it does that the older interface didn't do.

It also felt slower.

Maybe I just have to take more time with it.
smbaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:30 PM   #20
caryrae73

Quote:
Originally Posted by news4me2 View Post

They also have a live mock up of the "YouTube on TV" app where you can navigate thru the various features/screens: http://www.youtube.com/leanback
Seems to work a little better on the mock up then on the TiVo. They are not quite the same. That must be for TV's with the TiVo app on them.

Couple other little things not on the new app at least hasn't worked for me. On the old version when you did a search and were using the on screen keyboard you could press the >> button for a space and the << button to delete last character you typed, doesn't seem to work on new app. Also when you do search for videos you can't just page down or up on the listed videos to go through them faster, you can only push the arrow up or down and go through one at a time, you could do that on the old version.

Last edited by caryrae73 : 05-11-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:46 PM   #21
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

I am glad to hear others saying exactly what I was thinking when I tried to use the YouTube app. The controls and navigation are just horrible. Add slow/unresponsive to the cryptic controls and that makes it even worse.

I *love* the improved video and sound quality.... but find the new interface beyond disappointing. I doubt I will ever use it.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:48 PM   #22
zalusky

I wonder what the Tivo engineers think? I bet there was a lot of quiet mumbling going on!
Old 05-11-2012, 04:20 PM   #23
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post
I wonder what the Tivo engineers think? I bet there was a lot of quiet mumbling going on!
Remember that Google designed the app, not TiVo. We don't know how much the two worked together on the design (if at all).
Old 05-11-2012, 04:28 PM   #24
severe

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
Remember that Google designed the app, not TiVo. We don't know how much the two worked together on the design (if at all).
I thought that was his point. It's likely they saw Google's work before we did.

Want to add that I'm unhappy and confused with the app as well. Such a shame considering the video quality has improved as much as it has.

By the way, who's idea was horizontal scrolling to begin with? I've never been a fan in any UI. It's just unnatural. Lists/scrolling should be laid out in a vertical fashion, in my opinion.

Last edited by severe : 05-11-2012 at 05:39 PM. Reason: horizontal scrolling rant
severe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:49 PM   #25
jrtroo
User

This is probably why TiVo has been so clear on indicating who wrote the app. They were not in the drivers seat on it, to be sure.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:35 PM   #26
Bighouse
200 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
This is probably why TiVo has been so clear on indicating who wrote the app. They were not in the drivers seat on it, to be sure.
That's the exact same feeling I got! And, I wonder if they intentionally make things less perfect than they could be so you'll consider only using your computer for youtubing and making their advertisers end up paying for more as, from what I can see, they really don't benefit from any advertiser revenue on the Tivo UI....do they?
Old 05-11-2012, 05:49 PM   #27
sharkster

I tried to use the YouTube thing on my Premiere and finally gave up. I got the authorize screen and went online and punched in the authorization code. Tivo said it was good, but then when I try to do anything I just end up with a 'no video signal' banner on my TV screen.

Oh well, as long as the Tivo does its Tivo things I won't complain. My only wish, under the photocs, etc, thing is that I wish it had Flickr. Looks like Google has a monopoly on these features.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:45 PM   #28
smbaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post
I imagine it went like this:

Tivo Engineer: "Ummm.... yeah... about that... Can you guys like make it clear we didn't write this thing"

Tivo Marketer: "Sure, we'll put 'new youtube experience by google' in our press release"

Tivo Engineer: <big smile>
smbaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:06 PM   #29
Bighouse
200 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbaker View Post
I imagine it went like this:

Tivo Engineer: "Ummm.... yeah... about that... Can you guys like make it clear we didn't write this thing"

Tivo Marketer: "Sure, we'll put 'new youtube experience by google' in our press release"

Tivo Engineer: <big smile>
I hope they filed their TPS report!
Old 05-12-2012, 06:19 AM   #30
jcthorne

I also am not happy with the new YouTube app.

While the video RESOLUTION is much higher, the lack of ANY buffering means the video spits and sputters to the point of being unwatchable unless ALL other network activity on my network stops. Its not a matter of bandwidth either, its just other network activity on the network.

Makes the videos, once you find them in that awful interface, impossible to watch.

Tried watching a few vids with the wife last night and it was a COMPLETE FAILURE. Even pausing the video does not build the buffer, it simply quits downloading. USELESS and very poorly programmed.

Not one of Google or Tivos better efforts.

So, YouTube goes from not that great to useless. Thanks Tivo.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote