Forum Jump

Old 12-21-2012, 12:10 PM   #1
trnsfrguy
Advanced !

The Walking Dead renewed, but...

Glen Mazzara out as showrunner.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/12/...daae6a6e00002d
MK code 1762-3068-7645/ Carlos

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
trnsfrguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:27 PM   #2
zalusky

Wow - I know they say no one is safe but .....

So who is the new show runner and are we going back to boring!
Old 12-21-2012, 12:32 PM   #3
astrohip
Stuart F

No showrunner announced yet. Here is more info...

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-wat...azzara-departs

AMC has a problem.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:50 PM   #4
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Wow, that's bizarre. Mazzara presided over the most successful season of the show to date, and the ratings are through the roof. AMC is losing Breaking Bad very soon and only has two seasons of Mad Men left. They've canceled then renewed The Killing because they haven't had much success with other original series. So why would they mess with their one super-successful show that has the potential to last for several more years?

If it's just a contract dispute and Mazarra wanted more money than (notoriously cheap) AMC was willing to pay, I could understand that. But if it's truly "a difference of opinion about where the show should go moving forward," then I have to say that I have a lot more trust in Mazzara's vision for the show than I do for AMC's (notoriously cheap) vision.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:54 PM   #5
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Maybe because the last season was so boring I thought I had turned into a Zombie watching it.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:59 PM   #6
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
Maybe because the last season was so boring I thought I had turned into a Zombie watching it.
You mean the first half of S3 that just finished airing a couple weeks ago? If that was boring, then I'm not sure why you are watching the show. It was far more action-packed than S2 and much better overall than S1.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:23 PM   #7
Cainebj

It makes me wonder what the creative differences in the direction the show is going are...
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:34 PM   #8
zalusky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
It makes me wonder what the creative differences in the direction the show is going are...
I am betting he figured with the ratings he could have a larger budget and they wanted to shrink it.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:37 AM   #9
cheesesteak
Meh.

The show finally hits on all cylinders and they 86 the show runner? Maybe they should have fired the person he had creative differences with.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:11 AM   #10
Jeeters
Registered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post
I am betting he figured with the ratings he could have a larger budget and they wanted to shrink it.
this. AMC probably thinks they have the viewers locked in and will watch no matter what, so now they want to cheapen it.
Jeeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:32 AM   #11
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
The show finally hits on all cylinders and they 86 the show runner? Maybe they should have fired the person he had creative differences with.
That's an assumption you cannot make. It sounds like they mutually agreed he should take a hike. Doesn't sound to me like it was a unilateral decision on AMC's part...sure it's probably mostly on AMC, but I don't believe entirely.
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:12 AM   #12
Family

AMC fights with everyone. They consistently pump out great shows, but they seem like the cheapest miserable people to do business with.
Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:22 AM   #13
Malcontent
Aka: Smiling Bob

'Sons of Anarchy' creator slams AMC over 'Walking Dead' shakeup

http://www.whosay.com/kurtsutter/con...w&code=Hvg4Poo

Kurt Sutter has something to say about this.

Quote:
AMC is run by small-minded, bottom-line thinkers who have no appreciation or gratitude for the effort of its creative personnel,

Showrunners are not development executives, we’re not cookiecutter ******bags that you plug into a preexisting model. TWD will suffer.
Quote:
They continue to disrespect writers, **** on their audience and bury their network.

Malcontent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:14 PM   #14
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcontent View Post
'Sons of Anarchy' creator slams AMC over 'Walking Dead' shakeup

http://www.whosay.com/kurtsutter/con...w&code=Hvg4Poo

Kurt Sutter has something to say about this.
Have some class, Kurt. Geez, take Ronald D. Moore, multiply the *********ness by a factor of 10, and you have Kurt Sutter.

I like Sons of Anarchy, but I think it's successful despite him, not because of him.

Greg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:19 AM   #15
danterner
Not it!

Wow, I'm sorry to read this. IMHO, Mazzara saved the show and got it back on track. If there truly are creative differences, that means someone has succeeded in forcing the show back off the track. You don't mess with success.
| Twitter:
danterner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:12 AM   #16
cheesesteak
Meh.

But we're getting another season of The Killing!

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:25 AM   #17
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
Wow, I'm sorry to read this. IMHO, Mazzara saved the show and got it back on track. If there truly are creative differences, that means someone has succeeded in forcing the show back off the track. You don't mess with success.
To be fair, we don't know what happened. Given AMC's track record, they probably screwed up. But it's possible that Mazzara decided zombies are played out and wanted to change it into an alien invasion show, tripling the budget.

Chances are AMC is mostly to blame for the falling-out. But I would not be at all surprised if Mazzara wanted to do something new that they put their foot down on, and AMC wanted to keep it exactly the same (only cheaper).

We should also bear in mind that the show's quality took a serious hit when Mazzara took over, although that was no doubt due to a messy transition during the second season and of course the show has come back stronger than ever since then. One hopes that this time they will be able to affect a neater transition to the new showrunner.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:20 PM   #18
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
To be fair, we don't know what happened. Given AMC's track record, they probably screwed up. But it's possible that Mazzara decided zombies are played out and wanted to change it into an alien invasion show, tripling the budget.

Chances are AMC is mostly to blame for the falling-out. But I would not be at all surprised if Mazzara wanted to do something new that they put their foot down on, and AMC wanted to keep it exactly the same (only cheaper).

We should also bear in mind that the show's quality took a serious hit when Mazzara took over, although that was no doubt due to a messy transition during the second season and of course the show has come back stronger than ever since then. One hopes that this time they will be able to affect a neater transition to the new showrunner.
The show's quality took a hit when Mazarra took over? I thought most people generally agreed that the second half of S2 was vastly superior to the first half of S2. That's when Mazzara took over. I think the quality clearly went up at that point.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:40 PM   #19
pmyers

AMC and TWD certainly have a strange relationship.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:41 PM   #20
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
The show's quality took a hit when Mazarra took over? I thought most people generally agreed that the second half of S2 was vastly superior to the first half of S2. That's when Mazzara took over. I think the quality clearly went up at that point.
Actually, Mazzara took over in the first half of the season. The first half had been written, but not all of it filmed when Darabont left. I think it ended up being an unfortunate mish-mash of Darabont and Mazzara.

The second half wasn't that much of an improvement. It was only when we got into this season that it was as good as it had been in the first.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:00 PM   #21
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Actually, Mazzara took over in the first half of the season. The first half had been written, but not all of it filmed when Darabont left. I think it ended up being an unfortunate mish-mash of Darabont and Mazzara.

The second half wasn't that much of an improvement. It was only when we got into this season that it was as good as it had been in the first.
I thought the first season was kind of a mess. And the first half of S2 was even worse. It wasn't until after Barnmageddon that things started getting better, and they've gotten progressively better since then.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:52 PM   #22
danterner
Not it!

My take is:

The pilot was excellent, in part because it was paced more like a movie (Darabont's background and strength)

The rest of season one and the front half of season 2 faltered, as Darabont wasn't facile with television pacing and didn't know how to arc a season while still making individual episodes compelling on their own.

Mazzara took over in season two, but the front half was pretty much already in the bag and so is much more reflective of Darabont than Mazzara. The back half of season two was a combination of Mazzara knocking down the pins Darabont had set up and also Mazzara doing his own thing.

The front half of season three has been Mazzara doing his own thing, and season 3 has been the best season so far.
| Twitter:
danterner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:11 PM   #23
Lenonn

Wasn't it AMC that torpedoed Darabont's original season two premiere (Sam Witwer as the Army Ranger in Atlanta)? I've heard multiple things, so I'm not sure what the reality is of what parts and how of much of season two was Darabont's and Mazzara's.

I personally had no problem with season one, especially as it was short and the show was still figuring itself out. I also liked season two - why can't one season be a slower paced character study and another season be the faster paced zombie killing show?
Lenonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:25 PM   #24
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenonn View Post
Wasn't it AMC that torpedoed Darabont's original season two premiere (Sam Witwer as the Army Ranger in Atlanta)? I've heard multiple things, so I'm not sure what the reality is of what parts and how of much of season two was Darabont's and Mazzara's.

I personally had no problem with season one, especially as it was short and the show was still figuring itself out. I also liked season two - why can't one season be a slower paced character study and another season be the faster paced zombie killing show?
I don't think the complaints about S2 are because it lacked zombies. It's because it lacked ANYTHING. They spent the first several episodes of S2 looking for Sophia, and it was mostly just spinning their wheels for no good reason at all. Had there been much character development during those episodes, it would have been great, but there really wasn't. I mean, to this day, what do we really know about Glenn, Daryl, Carol, Dale, Andrea, Carl, and T-Dog? They were all major characters in the group during those episodes, yet the show never spent any time giving us any backstory on them or developing their characters any deeper. We got a little backstory on the Rick/Lori/Shane love triangle, a little bit about Daryl's dysfunctional relationship with Merle, and a little about Herschel's family (out of necessity since they had to explain Herschel's motivations), but that's about it. Seems pretty sparse for a show that spent 6-7 episodes at the beginning of S2 with the characters basically not doing anything but sitting at the farm and/or wandering in the woods.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:07 AM   #25
bengalfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchance View Post
Have some class, Kurt. Geez, take Ronald D. Moore, multiply the *********ness by a factor of 10, and you have Kurt Sutter.

I like Sons of Anarchy, but I think it's successful despite him, not because of him.

Greg
Wow, Kurt Sutter IS SoA.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:37 AM   #26
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfreak View Post
Wow, Kurt Sutter IS SoA.
Yes, and often *********ness is part of the blend that turns somebody into a top Hollywood producer who makes brilliant shows.

Then again, sometimes it's what turns somebody into Ronald Moore...
Old 12-24-2012, 09:25 AM   #27
VegasVic
Craps Player

Norman Reedus, Steven Yeun and Lauren Cohan, along with Greg Nicotero are doing a one off panel discussion and Q&A at a theater near me in February. It will be interesting what, if any, comments they have on this.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:59 AM   #28
MacThor
Not Pictured

I've recently watched some, you know, "American Movie Classics" on AMC and I'm annoyed at how much editing for content and language there is.

I noticed during this season of TWD they started saying $#!+ (and used it liberally) and obviously they make it as gory as possible. None of which bothers me.

So why do they ruin movies by censoring things they leave in their shows? Trying to watch "Scarface" on AMC is a waste of time.
MacThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:38 AM   #29
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacThor View Post
I've recently watched some, you know, "American Movie Classics" on AMC and I'm annoyed at how much editing for content and language there is.

I noticed during this season of TWD they started saying $#!+ (and used it liberally) and obviously they make it as gory as possible. None of which bothers me.

So why do they ruin movies by censoring things they leave in their shows? Trying to watch "Scarface" on AMC is a waste of time.
Wrong thread...
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:27 PM   #30
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Blame Robert Kirkman.