Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-25-2012, 11:19 AM   #211
Drewster
Shooting blanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Here in Orange County, CA (I see you are from Costa Mesa in The OC) using the Google servers is not good. I was using 8.8.8.8 as my primary for a while and never realized how lousy it was until I ran DNSBench. You can really speed up the HDUI by finding a good DNS server for your locale.
I ran DNSbench last night. After it built its custom server list, the Google servers fell out of the test set. Interestingly, the Time Warner cable DNS servers were in the upper band of best-performing servers. The OpenDNS servers were slightly ahead, but not by much.

One interesting thing is that it recommended NOT using the router as a DNS server, but using the actual network DNS servers instead. I'd like to have my router hand out those DNS servers via DHCP; I'll have to see if I can tweak it to do that.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:32 AM   #212
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewster View Post
I ran DNSbench last night. After it built its custom server list, the Google servers fell out of the test set. Interestingly, the Time Warner cable DNS servers were in the upper band of best-performing servers. The OpenDNS servers were slightly ahead, but not by much.

One interesting thing is that it recommended NOT using the router as a DNS server, but using the actual network DNS servers instead. I'd like to have my router hand out those DNS servers via DHCP; I'll have to see if I can tweak it to do that.
I've only had an issue with two network devices at home, out of over 200, that had an issue with using my routers IP address as the DNS IP address. And I think both of those were Panasonic BD players. It's easiest to just change the DNS IP addresses in my router.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:37 AM   #213
moyekj

Quote:
I like to go through the router for DNS since I can use its firewall to block certain sites by domain name like Facebook & Twitter for all devices on my home network.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:37 PM   #214
morac
Cat God

Quote:
I'd actually disagree with that recommendation.

My router (Linksys E3000 running TomatoUSB 3rd party firmware) caches DNS requests from my ISP (Comcast) and as such it is the fastest to respond to cached requests (about 1 ms) which is what most requests are. So even though technically the Comcast DNS servers are a few hundreds of a second slower than the "best" DNS (Level 3 in my case), my set up is actually optimal. When I ran the DNSBench test, it passed all tests except the using my router as a DNS server test.

So as long as your router responds to all requests (which it should), caches results and doesn't crash on the DNS crash test I'd say use your router as it will be the fastest. You can change the DNS servers your router uses if your currently DNS servers are a lot slower than the best servers, but there's no reason to have all your devices use remote DNS servers as that will actually make things worse (it's slower).
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:05 PM   #215
Xebec01

I am also having networking issues after the update.

- Getting a no gateway error message
- Reboot or going through the static ip setup allows networking to function for a few minutes, resulting in a "Problem with the TiVo Service" error message (N13)
- After a few minutes, back to "No Gateway"

I called TiVo, they said the N13 is a problem with their servers (very busy, due to the update), but I don't think they understand the fact that the networking goes out after a few minutes.

This is a real bummer because I ran out of guide data... =(

I'll probably call them back again and tell them about this thread.

1 month old TiVo Premiere (the bigger HD one that came out this year, two tuners.)

- X
Xebec01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:27 PM   #216
plazman30

I am using openDNS for my DNS service and have not had any issues. Give them a try and see if it helps anything. openDNS also allowed to me to block a whole mess of sites my kids discovered that they should not be getting to. I thought I had at least another year before I had to deal with that.
plazman30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:58 PM   #217
Xebec01

I've used Time Warner, OpenDNS and Google DNS servers, both via the router and directly entered into the TiVo. Didn't make any difference for me. Thanks for the suggestion.

Interestingly, the TiVo disappears from my router's connected device table, too. Its there for 10 minutes or so, then *poof* - - gone.
Xebec01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:05 PM   #218
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy86 View Post
How can I sign up for the priority list?

I tried the link I found via search but after I input my tivo's serial number and hit submit nothing happens, seems like the submit button is not working or I may have a bad link?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JandS View Post
The Priority Request page appears to need Javascript enabled in your browser; in my case, in Firefox without JS enabled, the Submit button comes back with a "page not found" error message. In Chrome with JS enabled it came back with the "Congratulations" message.
I could not get the submit button to work in IE 9 (javascript is enabled). Worked fine using Chrome.

Last edited by greg_burns : 05-25-2012 at 08:15 PM.
greg_burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:26 PM   #219
fluffy123

Quick display code no longer works

Select-play-select-pause-select no longer works to make green bar at bottom quickly display. Anyone else try this?
fluffy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:30 PM   #220
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffy123 View Post
Select-play-select-pause-select no longer works to make green bar at bottom quickly display. Anyone else try this?
You have to go to "Showcases" and enter the code while playing back one of the Showcase videos then it will work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:22 PM   #221
fluffy123

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
You have to go to "Showcases" and enter the code while playing back one of the Showcase videos then it will work.
I did this, but only the 7-sec back skip clears quickly, the 30-sec skip does not!

Strange! Has anyone tried this with latest update?
fluffy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:17 PM   #222
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffy123 View Post
I did this, but only the 7-sec back skip clears quickly, the 30-sec skip does not!

Strange! Has anyone tried this with latest update?
Yes, for 30 sec skip you actually have to do the following for it to clear quickly:
Settings-Remote,CC,&Devices-Remote Control Setup-Advance and Replay buttons
Then make sure that setting is "ADVANCE scans forward 30 seconds" instead of "ADVANCE skips to tick".
Then you can re-enter SPS30S if necessary to get 30 sec skip back if scan is enabled when you do the above. Then you will see 30ss will clear quickly as well.
This was a new "bug" introduced by Spring update but luckily I found the above fix/workaround.

The Showcases trick for SPSPS "quick clear" and the above setting such that "quick clear" works for 30ss probably needs to be put somewhere more prominent for future reference as I'm sure they will be asked again by others.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:47 AM   #223
ajergo
A.J.

I can not get the "SELECT-PLAY-SELECT-9-SELECT" to display the clock again. I greatly miss it! On my old TiVo HD box, I had to do this while playing back a show on Now Playing. Does it matter if I do this on the Premiere box while on Live TV versus while playing back a recorded show?

Instructions above say "Make sure you press SELECT once first, to bring up the Mini-Guide, before you enter the code." I have tried that while on Live TV and after entering the code, all it does is go to channel 9. What am I doing wrong?

UPDATE to above One Day Later - I tried the above on Sunday morning several times unsuccessfully. Then I gave up and turned off the TV. Came back 6 or 7 hours later and all of a sudden the time display in the upper right corner was there. Seems very odd that the Select-Play code would not take effect right away? Good for now, but time will probably disappear after next reboot (whenever that happens). Then I will have to try this again to see if I can make the clock reappear again.

Last edited by ajergo : 05-28-2012 at 06:40 AM.
ajergo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:48 AM   #224
Brent W

Both my Premiers were updated over night, and both are extremely slow to respond now. no issue for over 2+ years, now they are almost unusable. Tivo support is a joke, after 45 minutes, their solution is to now go back and use SD menu's.

The supervisor I was connected to was a joke, and should not be in customer service at all.

After that phone call, I don't want to be a Tivo customer any more.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:03 AM   #225
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajergo View Post
I can not get the "SELECT-PLAY-SELECT-9-SELECT" to display the clock again. I greatly miss it! On my old TiVo HD box, I had to do this while playing back a show on Now Playing. Does it matter if I do this on the Premiere box while on Live TV versus while playing back a recorded show?

Instructions above say "Make sure you press SELECT once first, to bring up the Mini-Guide, before you enter the code." I have tried that while on Live TV and after entering the code, all it does is go to channel 9. What am I doing wrong?
Are you in the HD Menus? The instructions of pressing SELECT first is related the HDUI since it brings up the mini guide. Essentially you press SELECT once, the mini-guide pops up and you than press SPS9S. I've never heard of anyone having a problem getting this activated with the new 20.x software so keep trying! I didn't think I would use it but I'm starting to enjoy having the clock on the screen at all times.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:05 AM   #226
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent W View Post
Both my Premiers were updated over night, and both are extremely slow to respond now. no issue for over 2+ years, now they are almost unusable. Tivo support is a joke, after 45 minutes, their solution is to now go back and use SD menu's.

The supervisor I was connected to was a joke, and should not be in customer service at all.

After that phone call, I don't want to be a Tivo customer any more.
So what is your issue with the update? They are slow is very vague. I recommend that you check your ethernet/wireless/MoCA? connection since most slowness is related to slow internet and/or DNS issues.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:20 PM   #227
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

What happened to Browse By Channel (or whatever it was called)? It used to be under Manage Recordings and Downloads (which always struck me as odd, but whatever), but it's not there now, and I can't find it anywhere.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:25 PM   #228
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
What happened to Browse By Channel (or whatever it was called)? It used to be under Manage Recordings and Downloads (which always struck me as odd, but whatever), but it's not there now, and I can't find it anywhere.
Browse by Channel and Time went away I believe with the Guide update. It is still available in the SDUI iirc.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:25 PM   #229
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post

manage recordings -> set up a manual recording -> browse by channel (or the option of by time is there too if you like...)
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:33 PM   #230
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK View Post
manage recordings -> set up a manual recording -> browse by channel (or the option of by time is there too if you like...)
wow what a weird place to put it. I guess that is why I have never seen it since I have rarely use manual recordings.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:35 PM   #231
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
wow what a weird place to put it. I guess that is why I have never seen it since I have rarely use manual recordings.
agreed- Makes no sense- I only knew because i was trying to find something I saw mentioned in the paper and so i had to go digging around and look for that.
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 05:04 PM   #232
Brent W

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
So what is your issue with the update? They are slow is very vague. I recommend that you check your ethernet/wireless/MoCA? connection since most slowness is related to slow internet and/or DNS issues.
It takes 15-20 seconds for the tivo to respond to a command. It does appear to be a DNS issue, as the DNS test always fails. I have tried multiple DNS servers, all give the same issue. Similar to another poster the network connection appears to fail after a few minutes after a reboot.

iTivo will also no longer connect to either box. But I can stream content from the other Tivo, and from my computer via pytivo on both Tivo's. The LAN is fine, with the exception of iTivo (which is done via IP address, so DNS shouldn't be an issue)
Old 05-28-2012, 10:46 AM   #233
MagicOwl

Youtube not have subtitles :( need new update again

Netflix have subtitles but Youtube not have subtitles in the TiVo Premiere 20.2.1.1 now. Would you fix subtitles for youtube next update?
MagicOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 05:10 PM   #234
gteague
golftango

update broke kmttg?

i just got the update a couple days ago and i just noticed that it seems to have broken kmttg. every command i try to issue fails:

RUNNING 'REMOTE NP List' JOB FOR TiVo: tivoli2
rpc Write error - Received fatal alert: handshake_failure
RUNNING 'REMOTE ToDo List' JOB FOR TiVo: tivoli2
rpc Write error - Received fatal alert: handshake_failure[/i]
[/indent]anyone else having this problem?

/guy
Old 05-28-2012, 05:15 PM   #235
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by gteague View Post
i just got the update a couple days ago and i just noticed that it seems to have broken kmttg. every command i try to issue fails:

RUNNING 'REMOTE NP List' JOB FOR TiVo: tivoli2
rpc Write error - Received fatal alert: handshake_failure
RUNNING 'REMOTE ToDo List' JOB FOR TiVo: tivoli2
rpc Write error - Received fatal alert: handshake_failure[/i]
[/indent]anyone else having this problem?

/guy
are you using the latest version of KMTTG?
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 05:22 PM   #236
gteague
golftango

SPSxx codes -- how can they work in hd?

i just now got the update.

from the initial update post in this thread:
SELECT-PLAY-SELECT-9-SELECT now displays a clock (without seconds) in the upper right corner when using HD Menus. (Make sure you press SELECT once first, to bring up the Mini-Guide, before you enter the code.)
unless i'm missing something vital, this sequence cannot work. ok, i'm playing live tv. i press select and it brings up what i guess is called the mini-guide (i never use it). so now i'm supposed to enter the SPSxx code, but the first select selects the displayed channel in the mini-guide and it does the expected thing--it changes the channel and the code fails. same thing if you do it from playing a recording, hitting select twice changes the channel.

i read through the rest of the thread where some others questioned whether this worked and the replies mostly said that you have to hit select twice and that sure doesn't work for me, so until someone explains how this is supposed to work, i'm back to frantically searching for paused ads and showcase videos so i can enter the codes.

/guy
Old 05-28-2012, 05:30 PM   #237
gteague
golftango

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
are you using the latest version of KMTTG?
i should have thought of that, but for some reason i thought development on kmttg was stalled out, perhaps i was thinking of the mac gui version of pytivo.

but yep, i was on version 'p' and updated to 'r' and it's working again.

thanks mucho!

/guy
Old 05-28-2012, 06:32 PM   #238
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by gteague View Post
i just now got the update.

from the initial update post in this thread:
SELECT-PLAY-SELECT-9-SELECT now displays a clock (without seconds) in the upper right corner when using HD Menus. (Make sure you press SELECT once first, to bring up the Mini-Guide, before you enter the code.)
unless i'm missing something vital, this sequence cannot work. ok, i'm playing live tv. i press select and it brings up what i guess is called the mini-guide (i never use it). so now i'm supposed to enter the SPSxx code, but the first select selects the displayed channel in the mini-guide and it does the expected thing--it changes the channel and the code fails. same thing if you do it from playing a recording, hitting select twice changes the channel.

i read through the rest of the thread where some others questioned whether this worked and the replies mostly said that you have to hit select twice and that sure doesn't work for me, so until someone explains how this is supposed to work, i'm back to frantically searching for paused ads and showcase videos so i can enter the codes.

/guy

It shouldn't change the channel because you're selecting the channel you're already on.
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:39 PM   #239
gteague
golftango

that's not how the command works on my system. it brings up my first 3 'favorites' channels, but i'm not on a favorite channel. so i switched to a live-tv channel that is on my favorites list and now it works as you describe. i did say i never use that mini-guide, and i guess this shows that i don't know how it's supposed to work. if i want to see a guide, i just use the guide button.

so the sequence doesn't work if you're on a non-favorite channel and it doesn't work if you're playing a recorded show. no wonder some people in the thread were questioning their sanity with everyone else claiming it works.

thanks yet again for your help!

/guy
Old 05-28-2012, 06:41 PM   #240
moyekj

Easiest thing to remember is always enter SPS codes playing back Showcase videos. There are plenty of them available these days after we complained there weren't any for a while. (You can also switch to SDUI to enter them if having trouble).