TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-18-2012, 02:52 PM   #181
lujan

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
What happens when you test the video output formats on the Premiere video output settings page? Are you cable to see a picture from all the resolutions? ie. 1080P24.

I'm able to get 1080P24 from all of my TiVos on three HDTVs. If it passes the resolution test then there must be some issue why it's not showing the 1080P24 Netflix streams.
Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
If you tell TiVo not to output 1080p and that allows you to see video, it could be that the TiVo's output is incorrect, but it may be more likely that whatever is receiving the output can't handle 1080p24.
The testing works fine on all resolutions including 1080p24 so there is something wrong with the Netflix application and my hardware I guess?
6 DVD
lujan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:57 PM   #182
markp99
TakoKichi

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverm2 View Post
still waiting for update here in boston area.anyone else around here got it yet?
Kind of near you...

Bought my XL4 yesterday, forced a connection and restart to get me from 14.9 to 20.2. Added my TSN to the priority list last night, forced a connection around 3PM today and got the 20.2.1.1 update. That was easy.

All caught-up.

Yay
markp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:03 PM   #183
dragonstar

Arrow New tag on shows still wrong.

I still see that the NEW tag on shows are still wrong after 20.2.1.1. I look up a show that had the NEW tag and the date was wrong on the tivo and Zap2it had it right that the show was not new. When will this be fix.
dragonstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:37 AM   #184
mnb

This update does not agree with my Premiere. Networking goes out within 15 minutes. And when networking is notworking, the box is slow slow it's practically a doorstop. There are way too many blocking calls for non-essential functions. Like updating the suggestions on top in the HD menues. Any network call should be asynchronous so that the box is still usable.

However, it's more important that the unstable networking be fixed. I'll be watching Game of Thrones on Xfinity and 15 minutes in, it dies. I see at the top in the HD menus that there's an N33 error and virtually nothing except basic recording and playback works. And, of course, the over box performance drops to 1/10th what it was since networking is down.

I use static IPs and 100BASET.

Even just watching a recorded show for a few minutes, I'll go back to the menus and there's the big orange ! with the N33 code.

I have figured out a workaround, but it's a bit annoying to have to do this every 15 minutes. Go to Settings, Network. Tell it you want to set you own IP, it remembers the previous IP, so select through and when it's done, it's burped the networking stack and things work again. For another 15 minutes.

I did not have this problem with 20.2.0.

Sheesh, sometimes it's only good for 5 minutes. Is there any way I can roll back to 20.2.0?

Last edited by mnb : 05-21-2012 at 11:42 AM.
mnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:17 PM   #185
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnb View Post
This update does not agree with my Premiere. Networking goes out within 15 minutes. And when networking is notworking, the box is slow slow it's practically a doorstop. There are way too many blocking calls for non-essential functions. Like updating the suggestions on top in the HD menues. Any network call should be asynchronous so that the box is still usable.

However, it's more important that the unstable networking be fixed. I'll be watching Game of Thrones on Xfinity and 15 minutes in, it dies. I see at the top in the HD menus that there's an N33 error and virtually nothing except basic recording and playback works. And, of course, the over box performance drops to 1/10th what it was since networking is down.

Even just watching a recorded show for a few minutes, I'll go back to the menus and there's the big orange ! with the N33 code.

I have figured out a workaround, but it's a bit annoying to have to do this every 15 minutes. Go to Settings, Network. Tell it you want to set you own IP, it remembers the previous IP, so select through and when it's done, it's burped the networking stack and things work again. For another 15 minutes.

Sheesh, sometimes it's only good for 5 minutes. Is there any way I can roll back to 20.2.0?
MIGHT be your alternate partition is futzed.

But maybe allow a DHCP address and allow your router to assign a static IP by DHCP? That's what i do and it works fine both before and after the update.
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:23 PM   #186
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:

I too am having a Network issue since the update, Although I have only had the N33 Error twice, and I generally do not loose WAN connectivity, but I do loose LAN connectivity.

The Premiere is not renewing the IP address, using DHCP, and the TiVo falls out of the router table every day. I must manually refresh the Network connection from the TiVo before it shows up in the router again. Without a refresh kmttg and pytivo error out and cannot find the TiVo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:35 PM   #187
mnb

Using static IPs, the network stack will wedge within 15 minutes no matter what I'm doing. The TiVo cannot get to the internet to load suggestions. All AddOns stop functioning. The suggestion bar at the top of the HDUI goes away and is replaced by the big orange ! warning.

I tried setting DHCP, but it failed. Perhaps I needed to burp the stack by walking through the static IP settings first.

The iPhone app knows the TiVo is there when the stack is wedged, but the media access number becomes invalid and it won't connect. Usually the IP won't ping.

As long as I'm just watching live TV or recorded shows, it's not bad. Until I have to go to the menus. Then I have to wait for a TCP timeout every time I push a button. VERY ANNOYING.

Forget streaming. 5-15 minutes in and it freezes when the stack wedges.

Edit:
I tried DHCP after burping the stack. I was able to get it to ping and register on the network. Completing setup generated an N24 error, though and exiting out left it in Static IP mode.

However, before it gave the N24 error, it did ping. In any case, it takes 10x longer to get DHCP to complete, than it does to burp the settings I've already saved for static IP.

Last edited by mnb : 05-21-2012 at 07:47 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:54 AM   #188
b_scott
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander777 View Post
I've had that problem often with Tekzilla. The fix for me was changing the input on my receiver to something else and then back. There is some sort of handshake issue going on with it.

If you're not using a receiver, try changing inputs on the tv or turning it off and then back on.
doesn't help. I do have a receiver that everything runs through but it always worked fine before. Works on my bedroom TV that is directly plugged into my TV, but my living room one with the receiver has zero sound for any DL'd show. This is broken.
b_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:04 PM   #189
Ziggy86

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
I too am having a Network issue since the update, Although I have only had the N33 Error twice, and I generally do not loose WAN connectivity, but I do loose LAN connectivity.

The Premiere is not renewing the IP address, using DHCP, and the TiVo falls out of the router table every day. I must manually refresh the Network connection from the TiVo before it shows up in the router again. Without a refresh kmttg and pytivo error out and cannot find the TiVo.
I too received the N33 error and did a reboot and all is fine now.
Ziggy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:07 PM   #190
xander777

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
doesn't help. I do have a receiver that everything runs through but it always worked fine before. Works on my bedroom TV that is directly plugged into my TV, but my living room one with the receiver has zero sound for any DL'd show. This is broken.
Try rebooting the Tivo and turn everything off and back on.
If that doesn't work, check your audio settings on the Tivo. Did it get changed to PCM instead of Dolby Digital? Might be something worth looking at.

My problems started after a lightning strike, the HDMI inputs are a little flaky now, but turning the knob on the receiver to blu-ray and then back to Tivo fixes it for me. I have no issues on my other Tivo connected with component and optical.
xander777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:39 PM   #191
jrfuda

Youtube Subscriptions

Quote:
Originally Posted by alokkola View Post
I, too, have the same complaint. I was wishing for a "better" interface for Youtube subscriptions but after this update, I wish I could roll it back. I don't know who is to blame for not giving a list of subscriptions. Google engineers may have created it but how could Tivo let it pass through??
I agree. I got the update on all 4 of my Premeirs yesterday and can no longer use my subscriptions like I used to.

I downloaded Youtube Remote today for my Android Phone and will pair it with the Tivos when I get home and see if I can better manage my subs again.

The interface needs to be fixed, though. This pretty much kills what I use Youtube for.
jrfuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:00 PM   #192
mnb

restarting the TiVo resolves the networking issues*, but they come back in a few minutes. The length of time networking is functional varies. I've had it wedge before I could get back to the main menu. And I've had it work for a full hour. Usually 10-20 minutes, though.

The best workaround I have currently is to reconfirm all the static IP settings. Just hit OK all the way through and it reloads the TCP/IP stack, which should work... for a while.

Why can't I search for upcoming shows when networking is down? That data has been downloaded in the guide. It's local. Far too much functionality is crippled when networking is down.

I'm extremely disappointed that TiVo would push live a non-beta version of the software that has such significant performance and functional issues. My TiVo is practically a doorstop now because of this release.

* reboot time has increased significantly. Mostly likely due to networking issues causing the boot to wait for TCP timeouts. I gave up after 20 minutes and pulled the power just now. It took 16 minutes to reboot after that.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:13 PM   #193
MC Hammer

Quote:
restarting the TiVo resolves the networking issues*, but they come back in a few minutes. The length of time networking is functional varies. I've had it wedge before I could get back to the main menu. And I've had it work for a full hour. Usually 10-20 minutes, though.

The best workaround I have currently is to reconfirm all the static IP settings. Just hit OK all the way through and it reloads the TCP/IP stack, which should work... for a while.

Why can't I search for upcoming shows when networking is down? That data has been downloaded in the guide. It's local. Far too much functionality is crippled when networking is down.

I'm extremely disappointed that TiVo would push live a non-beta version of the software that has such significant performance and functional issues. My TiVo is practically a doorstop now because of this release.

* reboot time has increased significantly. Mostly likely due to networking issues causing the boot to wait for TCP timeouts. I gave up after 20 minutes and pulled the power just now. It took 16 minutes to reboot after that.
Your box may be on its way out. All 4 of my Premieres have the 20.2.1.1 update and have no issues with the HDUI. Additionally, reboot time has been the same 4-5 minutes its always been since the second core was enabled with 14.9.2.2 (though I don't have cause to reboot them very often).
MC Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:21 PM   #194
moyekj

Quote:
You can using SDUI which does use the downloaded guide data.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:31 PM   #195
mnb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Hammer View Post
Your box may be on its way out. All 4 of my Premieres have the 20.2.1.1 update and have no issues with the HDUI. Additionally, reboot time has been the same 4-5 minutes its always been since the second core was enabled with 14.9.2.2 (though I don't have cause to reboot them very often).
My box was perfectly fine before the update. It's vastly more likely there's a problem with the update than my box suddenly going out.

Just because your box doesn't experience the problem doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Your setup is likely different. Consider yourself lucky you don't experience this issue.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:32 PM   #196
mnb

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
You can using SDUI which does use the downloaded guide data.
it's faster to burp the networking stack than it is to switch UIs, but thanks for the tip.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:39 PM   #197
moyekj

Quote:
it's faster to burp the networking stack than it is to switch UIs, but thanks for the tip.
Or just stay in SDUI until the networking issue is fixed.

Old 05-23-2012, 04:46 PM   #198
MC Hammer

Quote:
My box was perfectly fine before the update. It's vastly more likely there's a problem with the update than my box suddenly going out.

Just because your box doesn't experience the problem doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Your setup is likely different. Consider yourself lucky you don't experience this issue.
So why haven't you called Tivo and had them look into the issue? If it is a problem with the update, complaining on these forums isn't going to do anything to fix it.

EDIT: Also, due to the 15 minute boot times you are experiencing, its likely your hard drive is hosed. Any time Tivo does an update, there are always users on here that experience hard disk failure because of the way the software is installed. Can't hurt to try replacing it if you're tech saavy or exchange it through Tivo if you aren't.
MC Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:11 PM   #199
Drewster
Shooting blanks

It gas been mentioned but bears repeating: DNS matters!

I was using Google DNS and was hugely frustrated with the Netflix app and other Internet-based services. I switched back to Time Warner's own DNS servers, and (believe it or not!) now things are MUCH faster.

(ping times to Google's DNS servers were about 3x that of Time Warner's!)

-Andrew
Old 05-23-2012, 07:38 PM   #200
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewster View Post
It gas been mentioned but bears repeating: DNS matters!

I was using Google DNS and was hugely frustrated with the Netflix app and other Internet-based services. I switched back to Time Warner's own DNS servers, and (believe it or not!) now things are MUCH faster.

(ping times to Google's DNS servers were about 3x that of Time Warner's!)

-Andrew
That experience seems to be opposite of most. Typically switching to the Google DNS servers speeds things up.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:03 PM   #201
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
That experience seems to be opposite of most. Typically switching to the Google DNS servers speeds things up.
You need to use a tool to find a good DNS server close to where you live. Just arbitrarily choosing any old Google DNS server may be worse than whatever your provider default is.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:10 PM   #202
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
You need to use a tool to find a good DNS server close to where you live. Just arbitrarily choosing any old Google DNS server may be worse than whatever your provider default is.
Yes I used to use the DNS tool at various locations but the Google DNS servers were consistently in the top five so I just started using DNS IP addresses everywhere. Especially since the one that one day would be listed at the top would end up being nowhere near there the next week. While the google ones were consistent at every house I checked them with Comcast, FiOS and Verizon DSL.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:24 PM   #203
randyb359

Quote:
Post hoc ergo propter hoc. That is the extent of my knowledge of latin. It is a common mistake to assume that since one event occurred after the other it was caused by it.
randyb359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:41 PM   #204
bsmith1051

Quote:
While I agree that the update was the 'trigger' for your problems I do not think there was anything defective in the update itself. More likely the update and/or your configuration got corrupted. I know it's a super pita but you might try doing a full reset on your box, i.e., see if it works properly with vanilla from-scratch configs.

Have you called Tivo about this? If there is something hosed in your configs I would want them to (remotely?) identify the problem, so that future updates can automatically detect/fix them.
bsmith1051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:55 PM   #205
Drewster
Shooting blanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt

I was very surprised.

-Andrew
Old 05-24-2012, 12:19 AM   #206
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewster View Post
I was very surprised.

-Andrew
Here in Orange County, CA (I see you are from Costa Mesa in The OC) using the Google servers is not good. I was using 8.8.8.8 as my primary for a while and never realized how lousy it was until I ran DNSBench. You can really speed up the HDUI by finding a good DNS server for your locale.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:25 AM   #207
sbiller

Quote:
Here in Orange County, CA (I see you are from Costa Mesa in The OC) using the Google servers is not good. I was using 8.8.8.8 as my primary for a while and never realized how lousy it was until I ran DNSBench. You can really speed up the HDUI by finding a good DNS server for your locale.
+1

The TiVo HDUI is an extremely heavy user of DNS. In addition to DNS performance, DNS reliability can have a major impact. My local ISP DNS, although very fast, was unreliable (per DNS Benchmark). I'm on Open DNS right now but I'm still playing with the settings in my router.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:32 AM   #208
angel35

Help ,I just got the new XL4. My tivo with my tuner & cable card went bye bye. Can i use my tuner cable card in the new XL4. Will i have any Problems seting it up??? Please help ??

DT-649

DT- 649 -180

HD S3 -648

Tivo-HD -652
angel35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:44 PM   #209
clark_kent

Video Window

Hello all,

Hope I'm not being repetitive, but I didn't see any posts re how the Video Window is working (or not) in this update.

Someone in the household found the Video Window to be annoying so I had it turned OFF in the previous rev. When I got the update, the VW was ON by default, so I turned it OFF. In this new update, the VW is up and alive when I have the Grid Guide up and it will not turn OFF even if I press the SLOW button (maybe it's not supposed to, IDK) Also, at least on one occasion the VW was up when in the TiVo Central and My Shows page event hough the setting was OFF. I toggled the VW ON and OFF and it did get removed from Central and My Show page, but it is still up with the Guide.

Two questions:

Is it my imagination or was the VW (in the previous rev) OFF even when the GG was up? Does anyone remember?

Shouldn't the VW be completely OFF at all times if that is the selection?
clark_kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 04:14 PM   #210
moyekj

By design the video window always shows with HDUI Guide regardless of your preference - there's no way to hide it. This was the case before and after latest update.