TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-12-2012, 05:42 PM   #121
cherry ghost

Having never used the clock in the corner before, I was surprised to see the timer there also when playing back a recording. I think I'll keep it turned on.
cherry ghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:45 PM   #122
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post
thats how netflix coded their software, and thats the same behavior on most of their devices.

the same uproar happened in the boxee forum when netflix became available. you can only navigate it with the dpad and the select button. netflix rendered the menu button and the play pause button on the button remote useless.

Netflix explanation was that they want consistent navigation on all platforms.
I've watched several hours of Netflix with the new UI since the update a couple of days ago. Every time I have used the play /pause button.
Have you even used it? Why do you think the play /pause button is not used? It is definitely being used on my TiVo Boxes when streaming Netflix content. I can start a title by hitting the play button or the select button. Once playing I can play /pause the title by hitting the select button, the play button or the pause button.
I can also FF/REW using the FF/REW buttons or by using the right/left on the pad around the select button.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:59 PM   #123
gteague
golftango

i woke up this evening to a power outage. i thought sure when the tivo started up i would have the update and indeed i tried the new clock sequence before i checked the version number. it displayed a clock, but square in the middle of the screen in the hdui, so checked and the update is still mia for me.

/guy
Old 05-13-2012, 12:35 AM   #124
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
The original post mentions Cox customers now being able to receive "Plus Pak" channels.... those channels are mpeg4. New mpeg4 Verizon FiOS channels apparently work too.

So at least in theory mpeg4 is working. But it's hard to guarantee it across the board without any additional fixes from Tivo, as so few MPEG4 deployments are out there right now.

I guess we need to hear from more users with mpeg4 channels in their lineups (if any) to try to get a consensus.
The Spring Update did fix the MPEG4 (H.264) channels on Cox.

I am speculating that the issue with Cox's MPEG4 (H.264) channels was due to TiVo not recognizing Copy Protection (CCI Byte 0x02) on H.264 format, and the reason Verizon FiOS did work is they do not use Copy Protection.

See this posting:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...93#post9088693

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:54 PM   #125
plazman30

Margret,

You have earned every penny of your Christmas bonus today!
plazman30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:09 PM   #126
caryrae73

Not sure if this was happening before the update but I am noticing in the guide a lot of shows that say new even though they are not. Like some shows we watch every week will say new next to it even though it was a rerun from last week.
caryrae73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:31 PM   #127
MC Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by caryrae73 View Post
Not sure if this was happening before the update but I am noticing in the guide a lot of shows that say new even though they are not. Like some shows we watch every week will say new next to it even though it was a rerun from last week.
I'm seeing this as well. 'New' flag appears despite the 'First Aired Date' reflecting 5/12.
MC Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:37 PM   #128
sharkster

I, too, am seeing 'new' posted on some programming that is not new. But, I don't know if that is a new problem or not either, as I hadn't been using the HD UI. It has some things that bug me profoundly.

But the good news is that now I have 'Can't Touch This' stuck in my head....dancing in my chair.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:37 PM   #129
caryrae73

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Hammer View Post
I'm seeing this as well. 'New' flag appears despite the 'First Aired Date' reflecting 5/12.
Sometimes with First Air Date even older. We watch a show called Harry's Law and one of the airings on the guide right now shows it as "new" even though it aired on 4/22/12.
caryrae73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:45 PM   #130
sharkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rparadis99 View Post
I had experienced this issue on numerous Amazon HD video downloads (SD always worked fine). Happy to report the problem appears to be fixed on a handful of test cases.
I had only done one Amazon video before the update (my Premieres are pretty new) and I did have that weird pixelation problem. I just purchased another Amazon video the other day, after current update, and had no problems at all. Yay!
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 02:08 PM   #131
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by caryrae73

Sometimes with First Air Date even older. We watch a show called Harry's Law and one of the airings on the guide right now shows it as "new" even though it aired on 4/22/12.
I'm not 100% sure about the timing of this, but I believe the TiVo software treats anything that first aired within the last 28 days as "new". That goes for season passes as well.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:41 PM   #132
tivoknucklehead

ever since this update on my quad elite i have major problems with the remote not responding and it is extremely annoying
tivoknucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:11 PM   #133
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoknucklehead View Post
ever since this update on my quad elite i have major problems with the remote not responding and it is extremely annoying
This has happened to my TPXL also, had to re-boot once (after waiting 20 minutes), but its not happening too much so I have not gotten annoyed..yet.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:25 AM   #134
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoknucklehead View Post
Is this the IR or BT remote? I have not run into any remote problems with my two Elites yet. But I have also been using the BT remotes with them. I have not been using the IR remotes with them.
I have used the IR remotes with my two, two tuner Premieres. But I also have not used them alot since the new update. Not like my ELites where I have been using them for many, many hours since the update.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:32 AM   #135
tivoknucklehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Is this the IR or BT remote? I have not run into any remote problems with my two Elites yet. But I have also been using the BT remotes with them. I have not been using the IR remotes with them.
I have used the IR remotes with my two, two tuner Premieres. But I also have not used them alot since the new update. Not like my ELites where I have been using them for many, many hours since the update.

Harmony 880 which never gave me problems before this update
tivoknucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:35 AM   #136
Bighouse
200 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caryrae73 View Post
Yup, getting a lot of new badges here too on obviously not-new shows. It looks like the "First Aired.." bug was fixed...but this was made worse!
Old 05-14-2012, 09:58 AM   #137
jrtroo
User

These new flags have always been sketchy. I recollect remember that the last update seemed to reset them to some extent. Perhaps they will sit down better over time as new shows are recorded.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:13 AM   #138
MichaelK

As others have said- thanks so much for the interaction and specifically the release notes. The engineers putting in little backdoor stuff that people here asked so nicely for (or complained mercilessly depending on how you look at it- WINK) is also AWESOME . Really makes me a TiVo fan again. For a while there, really seemed like Tivo didn’t have the time for us.

Minor minor- “bug’ fyi. If you have kidzone turned on in SD menus and you go to turn on HD menus to get parental controls the error still says that BOTH “Parental controls and kidzone MUST be turned off”. Gives the impression that parental controls still wont work in HD. Once everyone switches to HD and no one is using kid zone it’s probably not a big deal but for now it adds confusion and people might avoid switching to the HDUI because of it.

A little feedback on parental controls- very much appreciate now being able to move from SD to HD menus on the living room TiVo- but some feedback to tweak it if you are interested-
While parental controls take some getting used to compared to kidzone, I can do without all the trappings of kidzone so Parental controls gets the job done. So on the whole it’s just fine.

But one really great feature in kidzone was the ability to override specific series and have all showings/episodes appear in the kidzone going forward - would be nice if there was an option to “always unlock this show” for the parental controls. Going back to the world of plan ratings based controls that are one killer feature that’s surely missed. Real world example is Major League Baseball- shows up as unrated on my RSN so I wind up needing to unlock the game every day for my kids. Also for some reason PBS Kids Sprout seems to be completely without ratings on my Comcast system- probably because it’s 100% kid safe- but a pain in the rear to have to “unlock” fireman sam and the like for my 5-year old all the time.

Another thing that could be improved upon- kidzone was pretty obvious as to indicate if you have the box locked up or unlocked. With parental controls it’s not obvious at all that you have unlocked the box for a 4 hr minimum when you enter the pin to watch a show. This is compounded because of the above – that the user has to unlock the box much more frequently because you can’t override individual series. So unlocked could use a big overt icon slapped all over the place or better yet, I’d much prefer that entering the pin only unlocks that one particular show at this time and then if my kids want another they have to come back to see me to unlock again. Not sure if the latter is possible without a big fuss- but a big giant symbol/icon/color change/ warning message/ something to indicate unlocked would be helpful in my shows and if possible on all the menus and banners.

There is a locked and unlocked icon floating around in various places- but honestly it’s not at all consistent so my family hasn’t learned yet how to interpret and unless someone can point out otherwise there’s no indication with a my showing list full of folders that you are locked or unlocked.
Thanks!
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:19 AM   #139
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
These new flags have always been sketchy. I recollect remember that the last update seemed to reset them to some extent. Perhaps they will sit down better over time as new shows are recorded.
I've been under the impression that they say "new" for shows withing X days of their original airing (I thought 7 days but maybe it's 28?) that one hasn't watched.

Maybe the software updates resets the 'what we've watched' database so it so it's showing more after updates?

personally I like VERY MUCH that it doesn't have to catch that first viewing to get flagged new. I have piles of cable shows that are farther down my season pass list since they have so many repeat airings throughout the week. It's nice that I can get the middle of the night rerun of mythbusters and it still shows as new rather than having to force the primetime recording to get the new label.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:47 AM   #140
Ziggy86

I have not yet received the updated but wanted to know if others have tried to download movies from Amazon and if this fixed the pixelation issue. My Tivo's pixelation issue is pretty bad when downloading from Amazon.

I hope I get my update soon. (I keep forcing a connection but nothing seems to work LOL)
Ziggy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:51 AM   #141
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy86 View Post

I hope I get my update soon. (I keep forcing a connection but nothing seems to work LOL)
One box i signed up for the priority list some time back and it got the update the first night. The other box I signed up the day before the update and it came just a day later then the first box. If you haven't signed up for the priority list you should ASAP- it doesn't seem to take that long afterwards.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:56 AM   #142
sbiller

Quote:
I have not yet received the updated but wanted to know if others have tried to download movies from Amazon and if this fixed the pixelation issue. My Tivo's pixelation issue is pretty bad when downloading from Amazon.

Amazon pixelation/macroblocking issue is confirmed as fixed from multiple users including myself.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:14 PM   #143
Ziggy86

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
Amazon pixelation/macroblocking issue is confirmed as fixed from multiple users including myself.
Fantastic.
Ziggy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:19 PM   #144
sbiller

Quote:
Fantastic.
Agreed. I watched a 1080p movie the other night and it was flawless!
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:43 PM   #145
jdmaxell

Anyone else not getting smooth 2x an 3x fast forwarding and rewinding? Since update, It seems the video frames are choppy and jerky, where you would see a horizontal line 3\4 from the top or bottom or both. Skips ahead in chunks. If you would be able to pause it a that point, the picture would look like it has split. Prior to update, the video was smooth at all speeds. Happening on both my premieres.
jdmaxell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:56 PM   #146
bsmith1051

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK View Post
Another thing that could be improved upon- kidzone was pretty obvious as to indicate if you have the box locked up or unlocked. With parental controls itís not obvious at all that you have unlocked the box for a 4 hr minimum when you enter the pin to watch a show.
I second this request re Parental Controls in HDUI. And I'll probably have other requests as I acclimate to it! Kidzone was easier for all involved, frankly.
bsmith1051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:18 AM   #147
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmaxell View Post
Anyone else not getting smooth 2x an 3x fast forwarding and rewinding? Since update, It seems the video frames are choppy and jerky, where you would see a horizontal line 3\4 from the top or bottom or both. Skips ahead in chunks. If you would be able to pause it a that point, the picture would look like it has split. Prior to update, the video was smooth at all speeds. Happening on both my premieres.
Depending on what you are watching and how the transmission is encoded this can vary all over the place. Some shows are terrible, some good. This is not new and very dependent on the video encoding and goes back to series 3 platforms recording digital content as is.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:50 AM   #148
cr33p

Is there a way to re enable Netflix being in the NPL?
cr33p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:07 AM   #149
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr33p View Post
Is there a way to re enable Netflix being in the NPL?
No. And for my case no way to disable it either even though from SDUI that launch point no longer works (HDUI launch point from My Shows works).

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:14 AM   #150
cr33p

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
No. And for my case no way to disable it either even though from SDUI that launch point no longer works (HDUI launch point from My Shows works).
Man, thats a big bummer, my son is 5 and it was so easy for him to find it. I like the new Netflix app, but also miss a lot of the Tivo like functionality of the older version. All I disliked with the old was no search, and no way to see what shows had been watched in the past.
cr33p is offline   Reply With Quote