TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-11-2012, 10:20 AM   #91
rick123

Just curious, I forced a connection with the mothership and got the update for both of my units. Had the "pending restart" notice when the download was complete and did a manual restart to install the update.

If I had not forced a restart, would the tivo have done it automatically (restarted) at some point in the future or would my units just sit there with the pending restart notice until I noticed it?

1 Premiere Elite, Lifetime Sub
1 Premiere, 2TB DVR Dude HD, Lifetime Sub
TiVo Stream
TiVo Mini
Comcast Digital Cable, XFinity On Demand
Wired Network Connections
rick123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:33 AM   #92
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick123 View Post
Just curious, I forced a connection with the mothership and got the update for both of my units. Had the "pending restart" notice when the download was complete and did a manual restart to install the update.

If I had not forced a restart, would the tivo have done it automatically (restarted) at some point in the future or would my units just sit there with the pending restart notice until I noticed it?
It would have restarted on its own, overnight, probably around 2:00 am.
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:14 AM   #93
gatorbait

Thank you for the update to Netflix. Appears to be a huge step forward.

When using the TiVo app on my iPhone 4S I often use the keyboard function to search. When doing so within the Netflix app I am noticing the space bar does not work nor does the delete button. Be great to get that working.
gatorbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:53 PM   #94
sharkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
It would have restarted on its own, overnight, probably around 2:00 am.
Thanks! I wondered about that too but, like the other poster, I went ahead and restarted both of mine yesterday.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:12 PM   #95
Joe3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoMargret View Post
Just for you, tivocommunity.com!
---------------------------------------------
Our engineers REALLY appreciate the passion you have for TiVo. Some of them closely monitor the activity on this board, and wanted to do a couple of things they knew this group would appreciate the most. So, in this update you'll find:
1. SELECT-PLAY-SELECT-9-SELECT now displays a clock (without seconds) in the upper right corner when using HD Menus. (Make sure you press SELECT once first, to bring up the Mini-Guide, before you enter the code.)
2. For those of you that didn't like the change where the fourth press of Fast Forward was ignored, you can now re-enable the use of the fourth press of FWD to cycle back to PLAY by entering: SELECT-PLAY-SELECT-8-8-SELECT. (Make sure you press SELECT once first, to bring up the Mini-Guide, before you enter the code.)

More Updates Coming
What happened? Did "Tom" Rogers, President and CEO of TiVo Inc find the TiVo engineers chained to their iron masks in the donjon?

A lot has changed since your internment, would you believe it, Chevy's are back!
Joe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:48 PM   #96
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
That's the point though. I use TiVo for the TiVo experience, not for some other imposed experience that behaves nothing like it.
+1
Old 05-11-2012, 06:45 PM   #97
HenryFarpolo

The optional clock and new location is a real plus. For me the size is perfect and the elapsed time counter is a nice feature.
HenryFarpolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:46 PM   #98
ncfoster

Big props for the release notes. Same for the new features. Netflix was a bit slow on the first load, if nothing else. Haven't tested beyond that. Looks very much like the PS3 interface, not surprisingly. Seems to run a lot slower, not surprisingly, though both take a while to start. Hoping the performance is tolerable, but I have my PS3 as a fallback. Really hoping that the YouTube HD experience is a good one, as I have been waiting on that for a while, and my PS3 is NOT a good fallback for that at all.
ncfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:23 PM   #99
rhettf
R3T1CAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryFarpolo View Post
The optional clock and new location is a real plus. For me the size is perfect and the elapsed time counter is a nice feature.
I agree
rhettf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:17 PM   #100
gteague
golftango

Quote:
Originally Posted by gteague
can you please add to your update list a workaround for this problem? [del] ... all it needs is a software routine that would recognize the loss of multiple channels and do the software equivalent of a cable card reset.
Quote:
I will pass this along to the engineers. I am so sorry you are having this trouble!
grazie mille! bless you!

/guy
Old 05-11-2012, 11:16 PM   #101
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryFarpolo View Post
Now if the clock setting will survive a re-boot that would be great as the 30s skip does now.

Old 05-12-2012, 02:45 AM   #102
ShinySteelRobot

The update appeared today. It looks great, thanks for the hard work making the TiVo better.

Quote:
So, in this update you'll find:
1. SELECT-PLAY-SELECT-9-SELECT now displays a clock
Unfortunately, this does nothing meaningful on my TiVo. It aways switches my TiVo to channel 9.

I press the following on my slide remote:
  • SELECT - brings up the mini-guide overlaid on whatever's on TV
  • PLAY - dismisses the mini-guide and goes back to whatever's on TV
  • SELECT - brings up the mini-guide, again
  • 9 - switches the mini-guide to channel 9
  • SELECT - changes the TiVo to channel 9

So now I'm on channel 9. I don't see a clock.
???????

Last edited by ShinySteelRobot : 05-12-2012 at 02:52 AM.
ShinySteelRobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:14 AM   #103
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Try SELECT-SELECT-PLAY-SELECT-9-SELECT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:38 AM   #104
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Hi Community,

This morning we began rolling out the 20.2.1.1 update for TiVo Premiere (including XL, XL4, and Elite). Many boxes will be authorized for the update today, with more added each day from the priority list. (http://tivo.com/priority).
The detailed release notes are great - exactly what is needed to help get your heavy users back on board (of course I can only speak for myself).

Quote:

Just for you, tivocommunity.com!
Our engineers REALLY appreciate the passion you have for TiVo. Some of them closely monitor the activity on this board, and wanted to do a couple of things they knew this group would appreciate the most. So, in this update you'll find: ...

2. For those of you that didn't like the change where the fourth press of Fast Forward was ignored, you can now re-enable the use of the fourth press of FWD to cycle back to PLAY by entering: SELECT-PLAY-SELECT-8-8-SELECT. (Make sure you press SELECT once first, to bring up the Mini-Guide, before you enter the code.) ...
The inclusion of this option is very welcome. I hated the fact that the fourth press of the FWD button was ignored. This is my favorite change to the software so far...
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:16 AM   #105
TerpBE
Go Terps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinySteelRobot View Post
???????
Try switching to the SD menus temporarily, play back a recorded show, and then try the SPS code. The mini-guide, etc. in the HD menus can lead to problems when trying to enter them.
TerpBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:24 AM   #106
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerpBE View Post
Try switching to the SD menus temporarily, play back a recorded show, and then try the SPS code. The mini-guide, etc. in the HD menus can lead to problems when trying to enter them.
Been stated several times. you need to hit select twice to start with

SELECT-SELECT-PLAY-SELECT-9-SELECT
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:01 AM   #107
HerronScott

Wow, great seeing the release notes posted as well as the new Netflix and Youtube apps (and I don't even have a Premiere).

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:48 AM   #108
HD4me2

Don't see any mention of MP4.

It has been reported that the London Olympics will be broadcast in 3D.
Perhaps by ESPN3D which requires an MP4 capable Tivo Premiere.

There is no mention of MP4 capability for the Premiere although this post mentions that:
http://www.sandiegohdtv.org/forums/t...d=2908#pid2908

Please advise.
HD4me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:00 PM   #109
robaustin

YouTube

I can't seem to be able to get to all my subscriptions in the YouTube app. The UI is weird. I use the right arrow to go to subscriptions, click select button and it immediately starts playing the first video in my first subscription. I tried going to info with the up arrow at that point but it has no visible way to go,to any other subscriptions be they users or channels. Help! I must have my Nerdist and Geek and Sundry!

Yes I can seek outmthemvideos individually but that defeats the purpose of having my YouTube account linked!

--*Rob
robaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:00 PM   #110
blackngold75

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4me2 View Post

There is no mention of MP4 capability for the Premiere although this post mentions that:

Please advise.
The summer Olympics will be broadcast on the channels of NBC Universal. ESPN does not have rights to the games.
blackngold75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:13 PM   #111
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4me2 View Post

Please advise.

The original post mentions Cox customers now being able to receive "Plus Pak" channels.... those channels are mpeg4. New mpeg4 Verizon FiOS channels apparently work too.

So at least in theory mpeg4 is working. But it's hard to guarantee it across the board without any additional fixes from Tivo, as so few MPEG4 deployments are out there right now.

I guess we need to hear from more users with mpeg4 channels in their lineups (if any) to try to get a consensus.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:54 PM   #112
SpikeDad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post
thats how netflix coded their software, and thats the same behavior on most of their devices.

the same uproar happened in the boxee forum when netflix became available. you can only navigate it with the dpad and the select button. netflix rendered the menu button and the play pause button on the button remote useless.

Netflix explanation was that they want consistent navigation on all platforms.
It's interesting that this comment is posted to a thread started by Tivo's UI vice-president. If I were in charge of Tivo and someone under me let such a preposterous error get put into product, I would be firing that person the next day.

I think this sums up Tivo's care of their customers in a nutshell - we do what best for our business relationships and not what's best for our customers.
SpikeDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:28 PM   #113
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post
thats how netflix coded their software, and thats the same behavior on most of their devices.

the same uproar happened in the boxee forum when netflix became available. you can only navigate it with the dpad and the select button. netflix rendered the menu button and the play pause button on the button remote useless.

Netflix explanation was that they want consistent navigation on all platforms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeDad View Post
If I were in charge of Tivo and someone under me let such a preposterous error get put into product, I would be firing that person the next day..
As mentioned many times, Tivo did NOT develop this Netflix app, Netflix did, there's no sacking to be done at Tivo, Inc for this issue.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:34 PM   #114
falcon26

Still no update here in Newark CA :-( Bay area....just tried to force it but nothing...
falcon26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:41 PM   #115
jrtroo
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeDad View Post
If I were in charge of Tivo and someone under me let such a preposterous error get put into product, I would be firing that person the next day.
What error? This seems to be working as Netflix designed. So far, I have not heard of any bugs on the Netflix application, just intentional programming decisions by Netflix.

Do I like these decisions, no. To me, it is lazy and annoying. To the point that I'm considering dropping Netflix for Hulu Plus, I sent an email to Netflix to complain. I'll be doing that on their facebook page as well.
Old 05-12-2012, 02:38 PM   #116
Joe01880
I love my TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
Every time something like this has been reported, it is followed by hard drive failure or fan failure. Has little to do with the update and everything to do with the unit being rebooted.
For not the first time in my life i seem to be wrong, its not the hard drive making all the fuss. I took the damn thing apart and plugged it in with its top off.

As crxssi suggested it does indeed seem to be the fan raising so much hell.
This thing has been driving me crazy its so damn noisy, my wife is afraid its going to catch on fire.
Does anyone know if the fan from a TiVo S2 will work in a Premiere, or did i see a thread someplace that pointed to an aftermarket bolt in?

As always..thanks in advance!

Roamio Pro- $99 yearly grandfathered MSD
Premiere- 2TB w/PLS
TiVo HD- 2TB w/ PLS For Sale $350
Series 2- Just sittin around
DVR40- yours if you want it
Connected via Ethernet
FiOS

Joe01880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:02 PM   #117
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
What error? This seems to be working as Netflix designed. So far, I have not heard of any bugs on the Netflix application, just intentional programming decisions by Netflix.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=487185
Old 05-12-2012, 03:06 PM   #118
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe01880 View Post
For not the first time in my life i seem to be wrong, its not the hard drive making all the fuss. I took the damn thing apart and plugged it in with its top off.

As crxssi suggested it does indeed seem to be the fan raising so much hell.
This thing has been driving me crazy its so damn noisy, my wife is afraid its going to catch on fire. Does anyone know if the fan from a TiVo S2 will work in a Premiere, or did i see a thread someplace that pointed to an aftermarket bolt in?
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=472692

Sorry, the fan is specific to the Premiere. When mine started failing, I thought the hard drive was exploding. I could not believe how much quieter it was when I replaced the fan.

Mine was still under extended warranty, but the insane hassle of sending it back, being without TV for a week or something, losing my "one replacement" on the warranty, and losing all my settings, programming, and recordings was not worth the price of the fan and the 5 minutes it took to install it.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:17 PM   #119
sharkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinySteelRobot View Post
The update appeared today. It looks great, thanks for the hard work making the TiVo better.

Unfortunately, this does nothing meaningful on my TiVo. It aways switches my TiVo to channel 9.

I press the following on my slide remote:
  • SELECT - brings up the mini-guide overlaid on whatever's on TV
  • PLAY - dismisses the mini-guide and goes back to whatever's on TV
  • SELECT - brings up the mini-guide, again
  • 9 - switches the mini-guide to channel 9
  • SELECT - changes the TiVo to channel 9

???????
I think you have to do it kinda fast. It took me several times on the first Tivo (and in the interim I was also getting switched to channel 9). Once I guess I got the right rhythm it worked. I like it.

When I went to do my second Tivo I must have gotten the rhythm down because it worked the first time. I just wrote the instructions on a post it note that I put right in front of me and I could do the sequence quickly.

PS: Make sure you are hitting SELECT that one extra time in the beginning, so it's Select - Select - Play - Select - 9 - Select.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:21 PM   #120
rparadis99

Quote:
2. Customers experiencing pixelation in Amazon Video downloads should find that issue resolved.
I had experienced this issue on numerous Amazon HD video downloads (SD always worked fine). Happy to report the problem appears to be fixed on a handful of test cases.
rparadis99 is offline   Reply With Quote