Forum Jump

Old 05-10-2012, 08:45 PM   #61
proudx

release notes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaown View Post
LOVE THE RELEASE NOTES.

Something I have been dying for - well - for 12 years

Also - great to see what upcoming features you are working on. More HD Menus is great - especially HD Menu for MRS Shows
Thanks
-Shaown
Release notes! Thank you so much!
proudx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:02 PM   #62
jteague

Fast Forward Fix; Yes

I was disappointed when they changed the fast forward behavior.
THANK YOU for making it optional.
I can't wait to try it out the old way.
jteague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:15 PM   #63
mrizzo80

Overall I think the new Netflix app is great.

2 issues I've noticed that I have not seen brought up:
1.) Sub-Menu text disappears. Mainly on TV sub-menus. If you scroll in the menus enough the text will go away, come back, go away. Sometimes the episode title list won't fully populate. Strange.

2.) Recently Watched List is just your last watched item. I think this should show 5-10 items back. If you are working your way through a 100 episode TV series and then you watch a movie, you have to manually find your way back to your TV show. Would be nice if the Recently Watched List would show more items so your TV series is still pinned to that list.

I haven't really had any speed issues while navigating the UI. Startup time could be improved as others have mentioned. "Watch Now From Netflix" links in the primary Tivo UI are inconsistent in where it lands in the Netflix UI. Sometimes it takes you directly to the item in Netflix and other times it takes you to the search screen. Movies tend to go straight to their Netflix page; TV shows seem to go to the Netflix search page. Not positive about that though.

Overall, a much more usable experience than what we've had.
mrizzo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:54 PM   #64
gteague
golftango

while i appreciate the features, in my case (and some others with elites) we'd rather have fixes for the problem of our channels going away and the elite not recovering. it is most definitely an elite problem and not a cable card problem as your techs insist because the same cable cards that work perfectly in the s3 fail in the elite.

i bought my elite in december of last year and it will not work for more than 1-3 days at a time without all my channels disappearing. a simple re-seating of the cable card always fixes it, proving that it's not a cable company problem, or, at the worst, it's a momentary (?signal?) lapse or dip or spike that the tivo should be able to recover from, but doesn't. i am still maintaining a log of outages at: <http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=8908623#post8908623> if you care to read about the extent of the problem and see how many others are experiencing it.

i worked with your 'executive support team' (which you arranged, and for which i thank you most heartily), and while they were the best people in the world, after all the tivo and catv hardware had been replaced at least once and signal/noise levels verified as acceptable, they had nothing to offer but cable card roulette and i feel they were forced into a bad situation due to a hardware problem in the elite. and my cable company didn't help matters by refusing to participate in the 'replace the cable card again' game.

can you please add to your update list a workaround for this problem? it is costing you sales (see the thread for evidence) and all it needs is a software routine that would recognize the loss of multiple channels and do the software equivalent of a cable card reset.

thanks,

/guy

Last edited by gteague : 05-10-2012 at 10:00 PM.
gteague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:14 PM   #65
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by gteague View Post
it is costing you sales (see the thread for evidence) and all it needs is a software routine that would recognize the loss of multiple channels and do the software equivalent of a cable card reset.

thanks,

/guy
This issue has caused TiVo to loose my sale on an Elite/XL4 until a resolution is found.

I was hoping the Spring Update would address the issues

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:21 PM   #66
mmf01

Pending restart - Update in progress x2

Margret - You're awesome! Thanks very much for the update and the priority list!!
mmf01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:22 PM   #67
TiVoMargret
VP of Design, TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gteague View Post
can you please add to your update list a workaround for this problem? it is costing you sales (see the thread for evidence) and all it needs is a software routine that would recognize the loss of multiple channels and do the software equivalent of a cable card reset.
I will pass this along to the engineers. I am so sorry you are having this trouble!
TiVo Inc. *

TiVoMargret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:13 PM   #68
TerpBE
Go Terps!

The "Clear" button to exit Netflix/Youtube apps is incredibly frustrating. Everywhere else on the Tivo, Clear removes progress bars from the screen or clears text input fields. But when out of habit you do the same thing in these apps, you get booted out. Consistency can go a long way in making a pleasing user experience.
TerpBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:18 PM   #69
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerpBE View Post
The "Clear" button to exit Netflix/Youtube apps is incredibly frustrating. Everywhere else on the Tivo, Clear removes progress bars from the screen or clears text input fields. But when out of habit you do the same thing in these apps, you get booted out. Consistency can go a long way in making a pleasing user experience.
I have to agree with this. I suppose I can get used to it, but (as another example) it is just so automatic to want to press the left arrow to exit a playing video, not up arrow. When left didn't do what I expected, I used clear and (like you) got booted out completely (and then had to wait the 24 seconds or so for the YouTube app to load again).

This is a side-effect of having vendors "roll their own app" without regard to TiVo's standard UI rules. There are advantages and disadvantages.... but this is certainly one of the latter.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:23 PM   #70
mmf01

Netflix app doesn't work. Receiving an "unexpected error has occurred". Toggling video providers didn't work either. As another poster pointed out, netflix is only working in the SDUI. Confirmed here as well. Is the 4 hour wait time for the HDUI only? Anyone found a fix for this?

EDIT: Both boxes working now! Just had to toggle one and wait/reboot the other.

Looks like the "info" button no longer works while in Netflix. Used to be able to get episode info this way while watching a stream.

Last edited by mmf01 : 05-10-2012 at 11:52 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:32 AM   #71
Xab

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoMargret View Post
I will pass this along to the engineers. I am so sorry you are having this trouble!
Awesome to see you are on top of it and letting them know. I can say personally I've had the exact opposite issue - when I had my Media Center PC with Ceton card, I would lose all signal on all channels at least once a week and it would cause me to miss lots of recordings. It's incredibly frustrating! Ever since I swapped to a TiVo Elite, even with the EXACT same CableCard, I haven't had one single issue. I'm still blown away every day when I turn on my TV and everything is just working perfectly as it should, and not having to play tech support guy like I always did with my Media Center.
Xab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:29 AM   #72
Joe01880
I love my TiVo

The HDD, a 2TB WD green in my TiVo Premiere since the update has gotten much louder.

EDIT: This issue is resolved and not related to the update, thank you for the replies!

Roamio Pro- $99 yearly grandfathered MSD
Premiere- 2TB w/PLS
TiVo HD- 2TB w/ PLS For Sale $350
Series 2- Just sittin around
DVR40- yours if you want it
Connected via Ethernet
FiOS

Last edited by Joe01880 : 05-12-2012 at 06:17 PM.
Joe01880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:57 AM   #73
rahnbo

Anyone know if the HDUI picture in picture bug is fixed? I'm talking about when you disable it yet it occasionally turns itself back on when you press the menu button and continues to play whatever you are watching. This has really been my largest issue with the last update as it results in lots of spoilers.
rahnbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:59 AM   #74
Lars_J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe01880 View Post
The HDD, a 2TB WD green in my TiVo Premiere since the update has gotten much louder. Sounds as if it is being written to constantly. Sort of the way a HDD in desktop computer sounds when it boots up, the exception being with my Premiere the sound is continuous. I can hear it from across the room where as before the update it as very quiet.
Anyone else experiencing this and is it a bad thing?
It sounds to me (not an expert, but I have replaced HD's including my TiVo one in the past) like your hard drive might be failing. If I were you, I'd replace the HD with a new one while you still could access the existing data to copy over.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:12 AM   #75
beobuff

Quote:
This morning we began rolling out the 20.2.1.1 update for TiVo Premiere (including XL, XL4, and Elite). Many boxes will be authorized for the update today, with more added each day from the priority list. (http://tivo.com/priority).

There are three main features in the release:
- New Netflix App (created by Netflix)
- New Youtube App (created by Google)
- Parental Controls in HD Menus
All of the details you provided were most welcome, but you have overlooked what is perhaps the most important feature of this new upgrade for many users (including myself): the fact that the HDUI menus and submenus execute a good deal (3-4 times) faster than before! The iPad and iPhone apps (which apparently feed directly from the Tivo devices as opposed to over the Internet as I had previously thought) also execute a good deal faster and are more stable as well. This speed increase is a vast improvement and provides a great enhancement to the overall Tivo experience. Engineering really did their homework on the new code. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
Tivo HD XL (for sale)
Tivo HD (for sale)
LG LST-3410A
beobuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:50 AM   #76
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
The HDD, a 2TB WD green in my TiVo Premiere since the update has gotten much louder. Sounds as if it is being written to constantly. Sort of the way a HDD in desktop computer sounds when it boots up, the exception being with my Premiere the sound is continuous. I can hear it from across the room where as before the update it as very quiet.
Every time something like this has been reported, it is followed by hard drive failure or fan failure. Has little to do with the update and everything to do with the unit being rebooted.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:52 AM   #77
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

[quote=beobuff;9088752]All of the details you provided were most welcome, but you have overlooked what is perhaps the most important feature of this new upgrade for many users (including myself): the fact that the HDUI menus and submenus execute a good deal (3-4 times) faster than before!/QUOTE]

As I pointed out in the other thread, this is simply not true. The menus are exactly the same speed as before. You are probably just seeing a difference due to rebooting.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:49 AM   #78
NotVeryWitty
Too Big to Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrizzo80 View Post
1.) Sub-Menu text disappears. Mainly on TV sub-menus. If you scroll in the menus enough the text will go away, come back, go away. Sometimes the episode title list won't fully populate. Strange.
I had this same issue while playing with Netflix last night. I saw the new listing for Dark Shadows and selected it so I could add it to my Instant Watch list. Where the menu should show up listing the options, it was totally blank. I could press the up and down arrow buttons to move the hightlight up and down, but the text never showed up. Exiting the submenu and immediately bringing it back up did not fix it. After completely exiting the Netflix app and then going back in, the submenu displayed fine.

[I also saw it a few other times too.]
NotVeryWitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:56 AM   #79
sbiller

[quote=crxssi;9088780]
Quote:
Originally Posted by beobuff View Post
All of the details you provided were most welcome, but you have overlooked what is perhaps the most important feature of this new upgrade for many users (including myself): the fact that the HDUI menus and submenus execute a good deal (3-4 times) faster than before!/QUOTE]

As I pointed out in the other thread, this is simply not true. The menus are exactly the same speed as before. You are probably just seeing a difference due to rebooting.
The HDUI speed is extremely dependent on internet speed and reliability of DNS resolution. I had a 2x increase in HDUI performance by switching from my ISPs unreliable DNS to OpenDNS.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:57 AM   #80
atmuscarella

Quote:
Thats how mine sounds at the beginning of a restart (I have a 2TB Seagate in mine). Maybe you should restart it again to see if it clears up.

Good Luck,
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:03 AM   #81
mmf01

Looks like 30 second skip is instantaneous now. No lag whatsoever. Even with SPS code before, there felt like some delay. Feels like that is gone with latest update.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:43 AM   #82
jrtroo
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerpBE View Post
Agreed. When in a show I'm completely confused as what to do and I'm clearly doing the wrong thing continually. Is there a cheat sheet someplace?

Question is, is the behavior exclusively due to conscious programming decisions by Netflix/Youtube or is it due to the tools made available by Tivo for third party apps? I don't seem to remember Hulu working this way, but I cancelled that after the free trial a year ago.

I've got no qualms complaining to Netflix/Google about the awkward behavior, but I'm unsure if this is solely their issue.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:49 AM   #83
Aero 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Agreed. When in a show I'm completely confused as what to do and I'm clearly doing the wrong thing continually. Is there a cheat sheet someplace?

Question is, is the behavior exclusively due to conscious programming decisions by Netflix/Youtube or is it due to the tools made available by Tivo for third party apps? I don't seem to remember Hulu working this way, but I cancelled that after the free trial a year ago.

I've got no qualms complaining to Netflix/Google about the awkward behavior, but I'm unsure if this is solely their issue.
thats how netflix coded their software, and thats the same behavior on most of their devices.

the same uproar happened in the boxee forum when netflix became available. you can only navigate it with the dpad and the select button. netflix rendered the menu button and the play pause button on the button remote useless.

Netflix explanation was that they want consistent navigation on all platforms.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv -
Aero 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:58 AM   #84
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post
Netflix explanation was that they want consistent navigation on all platforms.
Great thinking there by Netflix. Consistent on all, intuitive on none.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:19 AM   #85
jrtroo
User

Too funny. I think that they mean- "It is way easier for us to document how we do things if we only have one way to do things." Reminds me of Henry Ford and the Model "T" - any color you want so long as its black.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:26 AM   #86
moose53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Test View Post
Click select on the name/password field and an onscreen keyboard comes up
Thank you. I was staring at the screen with *no clue*

Barb

Tivo Premier (OTA); Clearstream 2 antenna; LINKSYS Wireless G Broadband Router; RF modulator; Terk VR1 Automatic TV Volume Controller; Hulu Plus, Netflix and PlayOn subscriptions.

Last edited by moose53 : 05-11-2012 at 10:55 AM.
moose53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:54 AM   #87
Lrscpa

Quote:
If your box has updated to the Spring release today, and you aren't able to access the new Netflix app, please go to Settings > Channels > My Video Providers.

(Visiting that screen should force a refresh that you might otherwise have to wait for.)
After the update, I got an Netflix Error Screen (Cannot log into Netflix), and still had the old You-Tube App. Going to this screen alone didn't help, deselecting all of the items, going to TiVo main menu, then going back to this screen and re-selecting did.

Roamio Pro (Stock) w/Lifetime <Stewie>
TiVo Mini w/Lifetime <Brian>
TiVo Premiere Elite (Stock) w/Lifetime-Sold
TiVo HD w/1TB WD10000CSRTL w/Lifetime-Sold
No More Tuning Adapters!
MoCA
Lrscpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:58 AM   #88
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Great thinking there by Netflix. Consistent on all, intuitive on none.
It's still very intuitive. It's just not like using other features with the TiVo remote. Using Netflix on the TiVo now is similar to the many other devices I have with Netflix. Whether that is good or bad is subjective, but it is more consistent now over multiple platforms.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:02 AM   #89
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
It's still very intuitive. It's just not like using other features with the TiVo remote. Using Netflix on the TiVo now is similar to the many other devices I have with Netflix. Whether that is good or bad is subjective, but it is more consistent now over multiple platforms.
That's the point though. I use TiVo for the TiVo experience, not for some other imposed experience that behaves nothing like it.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:08 AM   #90
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
That's the point though. I use TiVo for the TiVo experience, not for some other imposed experience that behaves nothing like it.
To get that TiVo probably needs to design it themselves or pay netflix to design it that way. And yes ideally I would prefer it to be integrated into the TiVo experience too.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote