TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-25-2012, 09:17 AM   #1
joe1515

Upgrading from Series 3 to Premiere/ Verizon Fios Cable Card Question

I am going to upgrade from my Tivo series 3 unit (the thx version with the clock and program information in the front) to the Tivo Premier. I have Verizon Fios. I have a few questions;

1. From what I read on here I gather I can take the m card from the series 3 and use in the new premier. I will have to call Verizon Fios automated activation Line (888-897-7499) to re-pair the card to the premier. Is this correct?

2. My series 3 has two slots for cable cards and I have two m cards installed. I know I only will use 1 m card on the new premier, which card do I use?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe
joe1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:39 AM   #2
wombat94

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1515 View Post

1. From what I read on here I gather I can take the m card from the series 3 and use in the new premier. I will have to call Verizon Fios automated activation Line (888-897-7499) to re-pair the card to the premier. Is this correct?

2. My series 3 has two slots for cable cards and I have two m cards installed. I know I only will use 1 m card on the new premier, which card do I use?
1. Unlike many (most?) cable companies, Verizon does not pair the cable card to a specific device. When I replaced my TivoHD with a Premiere last year, all I had to do was remove the existing cable card from my old THD and insert it in my Premiere and then run guided setup - Verizon wasn't involved at all.

2. As long as they really are M Cards, it should not matter which one you use... they are both activated by Verizon the same and both should support the multiple streams that the Premiere needs. The other one can be returned to Verizon (and you can stop paying the extra $3.99/month) once you are up and running.
wombat94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:45 AM   #3
forum1
TiVo user since 2000

Quote:
I am going to upgrade from my Tivo series 3 unit (the thx version with the clock and program information in the front) to the Tivo Premier. I have Verizon Fios. I have a few questions;

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe
Not to confuse matters, but if the automated activation line works then I would also ask if you could alternatively use the online activation page at http://www.verizon.com/fiostv/selfinstall/
It’s not clear to me if this page only works for “fresh” cards that haven’t already been paired or if it can update an existing card for pairing with a new host. To me it looks like the required “activation code” could be a one-time use token.
forum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:47 AM   #4
joe1515

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombat94 View Post
1. Unlike many (most?) cable companies, Verizon does not pair the cable card to a specific device. When I replaced my TivoHD with a Premiere last year, all I had to do was remove the existing cable card from my old THD and insert it in my Premiere and then run guided setup - Verizon wasn't involved at all.

2. As long as they really are M Cards, it should not matter which one you use... they are both activated by Verizon the same and both should support the multiple streams that the Premiere needs. The other one can be returned to Verizon (and you can stop paying the extra $3.99/month) once you are up and running.
Thanks for the information, sounds to easy . Yes they truly are m cards.

Joe
Old 01-25-2012, 09:55 AM   #5
forum1
TiVo user since 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombat94 View Post
Very interesting. I assume that all channels, including premium channels such as HBO, come in just fine on your Premiere? Do you know if all FiOS TV channels are encrypted and thus if you are getting any channel video it is an indication that your card is fully authorized?
forum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:16 AM   #6
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

It used to be that Verizon didn't pair, but this is no longer the case. All channels except the locals are encrypted, but none* are flagged with a non-zero CCI, which is why you can get away with unpaired cards.

Assuming that you still intend to operate the S3 (?), take the card from the second slot (I think it's the top one). Then rerun guided setup to tell the S3 that it's in single-tuner mode.

* There are two channels -- really just one, I think, mapped to two numbers -- that do have the CCI flag set, but no one watches them: the Fios Information channel (aka the barker channel), on 131 and 1952. Mostly it's about Verizon-supplied STBs, so it's not too relevant to TiVo owners.

Occasionally a new channel will come in flagged, but this always appears to be a mistake, soon corrected.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by wmcbrine : 01-25-2012 at 10:22 AM.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:05 PM   #7
joe1515

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
It used to be that Verizon didn't pair, but this is no longer the case. All channels except the locals are encrypted, but none* are flagged with a non-zero CCI, which is why you can get away with unpaired cards.

Assuming that you still intend to operate the S3 (?), take the card from the second slot (I think it's the top one). Then rerun guided setup to tell the S3 that it's in single-tuner mode.

* There are two channels -- really just one, I think, mapped to two numbers -- that do have the CCI flag set, but no one watches them: the Fios Information channel (aka the barker channel), on 131 and 1952. Mostly it's about Verizon-supplied STBs, so it's not too relevant to TiVo owners.

Occasionally a new channel will come in flagged, but this always appears to be a mistake, soon corrected.
So do I try to have the m card paired to the new premiere?

Thanks,

Joe
Old 01-25-2012, 03:31 PM   #8
shamilian

No need to re-pair.

If they start requiring pairing with cardid/hostid then just use the number then.

I have moved cards more than once in the past.

I have not read of anyone using the new automated processes to re-pair a card yet.

The process in the past required staying on hold for a long time and getting someone on the phone that knew what a cabelcard was. It sometimes took multiple steps of removing the card from the account, then adding the card to the account, then activating the card.....
shamilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:58 PM   #9
mae

VZ Direct Forum on DSL Reports

Quote:
So do I try to have the m card paired to the new premiere?

Thanks,

Joe
If you want to do it, I used the VZ Direct Forum on DSL Reports, https://secure.dslreports.com/forum/vzdirect.

The posts are only visible to VZ techs who seem to be very good. I posted my card numbers, account phone and address, and the next day I received a call asking if I could see channel 131, which is copy protected. I could and the process was over. No explaining to phone techs or endless hold times.

It isn't necessary, but if they ever decide to use copy protection, the process will be much more difficult. This is a no pain way.
mae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:17 PM   #10
vurbano

My cards are not paired and have been moved around from old tivohd's to premieres without contacting Verizon
Old 01-26-2012, 08:52 AM   #11
Quake97

I've also moved cards between devices, no issues at all.

Joe
Quake97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:54 AM   #12
aaronwt
HD Addict

I've moved my cards dozens of times over the last 4.5 years on FiOS. And most recently fall of last year. I've never had an issue or a need to call FiOS to get all my channels.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:00 AM   #13
joe1515

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I've moved my cards dozens of times over the last 4.5 years on FiOS. And most recently fall of last year. I've never had an issue or a need to call FiOS to get all my channels.
Do you have premium channels, and there was no issue receiving them with out pairing?

Thanks,
Joe
Old 01-27-2012, 02:45 PM   #14
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1515

Do you have premium channels, and there was no issue receiving them with out pairing?

Thanks,
Joe
Yes, I have premium channels. I am on the Ultimate HD tier. I've never had any issues since my cards have never been paired to any of my TiVos in the 4.5 years I've had FiOS.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:41 AM   #15
joe1515

I set the box up last night. The cable card installtion went smoothley, I actually called the Fios cable card hotline and was able to key the activation code and everything works great. I am receiving all of my channels including premium.

I do have one question, I do not see the listing of the premier in my tivo, the season pass manager, etc.. on tivo.com. I forced an update to 20.2. Any ideas?

Thanks,
joe
Old 01-31-2012, 01:20 PM   #16
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Just give it a few days. For some reason a new TiVo doesn't get its act together immediately. It's always been that way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:52 PM   #17
vurbano

Usually takes a day to get most of the guide maybe 2
Old 05-10-2012, 03:02 PM   #18
hillstrubl

I'm about to do a Tivo HD->Premiere upgrade on Fios too.

Admittedly naive question:
Shouldn't I just think of the CableCard the same way as a SIM, the pairing (if done past activation) is done between the network and the card itself?

I'm not an expert on this, but Tivo, etc that its plugged into shouldn't really matter as long as the card itself is the one associated with your FIOS account?

Clue me in if I'm wrong...
hillstrubl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:39 PM   #19
mae

VZ Pairing

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstrubl View Post
I'm about to do a Tivo HD->Premiere upgrade on Fios too.

Admittedly naive question:
Shouldn't I just think of the CableCard the same way as a SIM, the pairing (if done past activation) is done between the network and the card itself?

I'm not an expert on this, but Tivo, etc that its plugged into shouldn't really matter as long as the card itself is the one associated with your FIOS account?

Clue me in if I'm wrong...
See posts above. Cards need to be paired to receive channels coded other than copy freely 0x00. Currently, it appears that VZ only copy protects their info channel 131 as a troubleshooting tool for pairing.

You can move the card and only lose 131. This might change at any time, so you may want to, at your leisure, have the card paired in case they ever do protect content.

As I said above, if you want to do it, I used the VZ Direct Forum on DSL Reports, https://secure.dslreports.com/forum/vzdirect.

The posts are only visible to VZ techs who seem to be very good. I posted my card numbers, account phone and address, and the next day I received a call asking if I could see channel 131. I could and the process was over. No explaining to phone techs or endless hold times. You can also use twitter.

It isn't necessary, but if they ever decide to use copy protection, the process will be much more difficult and there will be lots of people doing it. This is a no pain way.

Last edited by mae : 05-10-2012 at 03:45 PM.
mae is offline   Reply With Quote