TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-06-2012, 05:01 PM   #1
dztvtechie

DirecTiVo iPhone Remote?

So I'm thinking of switching to DirecTV from my current cable provider. Since I will have to give up TiVo HD to do so, I am consider the new DirecTiVo they are offering. I was curious, is there any iPhone apps out there that will act like a remote control for it? I didn't see any support for it in the descriptions of the official iPhone TiVo app, but I wasn't sure if it just wasn't listed or if there was a 3rd party app that might support it instead. Thanks.
dztvtechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:51 PM   #2
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
There might be - I see that the THR22 has a setting for enabling remote control over the local network, but I don't know what is used for it. I know it is not visible in the DirecTV iPad app.

There are several "universal" remote control products that can use an iPhone for the controller. Logitech makes one under the Harmony name. I reviewed one from RedEye, but I didn't really care for it.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:47 PM   #3
dztvtechie

Well that's a sign in the right direction. Basically, my set up right now is I have my TiVo HD in my living room, and then I have a cable running the short distance to my bedroom to mirror it on my second TV. I rely on the iPhone app to be able to control my TiVo from the other room over the local network so I'm hoping there may be a way to make this work on the DirecTiVo as well.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:42 AM   #4
falstaffpac

I am using an iPhone app called "Peanut Plus", they also have a freeware version. This app allows iPhone/iPad control of the HR22. There is a drawback in that it can only be set up for 1 HDTivo at a time. You can reassign the remote to a different HDTivo by changing the assigned ip address. I had upgraded to the "Plus" version in hopes it would allow me to make more than one profile.

Go to iTunes app store and do a search for "peanut", you should find both versions. I did a quick compare to identify the difference between the freeware and "plus" versions, looks like the "plus" version does away with in-app advertisements.
falstaffpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:32 AM   #5
dztvtechie

Thanks for the tip. I had a feeling that one of those 3rd party apps would work but I didn't have any way of testing.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:53 PM   #6
LI-SVT

I think the THR22 remote can work over RF. If so all you need is a second remote for the other room.
LI-SVT is offline   Reply With Quote