TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-09-2011, 12:38 PM   #1
tombonneau

Streaming TiVo to Ipad? Will it happen.

So I'm sure some of you read this recent Engadget post.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/09/h...eaming-to-ipa/

What are the odds of this actually happening? Are there any significant technical hurdles, or is it basically same thing as streaming to PCs?
tombonneau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:51 PM   #2
MediaLivingRoom

I wish.

Tivo should also just make a TiVo Extender without cablecard to other TV within our own house.
Jul10-2.384
Jul09-3.050
Jul08-3.623
Jul07-4.197
Jul06-4.418
July 2005 Tom Rogers was named CEO – A new leader is needed!!!
MediaLivingRoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:17 PM   #3
h2oskierc
I'm a 2-Tuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaLivingRoom View Post
Tivo should also just make a TiVo Extender without cablecard to other TV within our own house.
I'm on board with that. Right now I have to transfer to DVD using my computer, huge PITA.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:26 PM   #4
NotVeryWitty
Too Big to Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombonneau View Post
What are the odds of this actually happening? Are there any significant technical hurdles, or is it basically same thing as streaming to PCs?
Someone should correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there's a very big hurdle to overcome. The iPad's native video format is H.264 (mpeg4), and most (all?) shows recorded by the Tivo are mpeg2. I don't think either the Tivo or the iPad have enough horsepower to do on-the-fly transcoding of mpeg2 to H.264, to allow streaming (at least for HD).

Hopefully I'm wrong about this, because this would be a killer app. I've been considering getting a Sling box so I could watch my Tivo shows from bed, but I don't want to mess with IR blasters, and Sling doesn't support Tivo's network control interface.
NotVeryWitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:49 PM   #5
DeWitt

I never saw the attraction of being able to stream to my iPad. Basically since it is in home only I wouldn't find it useful. At home I have larger higher quality screens than that on the iPad to view.

Now, when I am mobile, that is a completely different issue. I do use KMTTG and iTunes to move content to my iPad for watching on the train etc.
DeWitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:37 PM   #6
janry

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWitt View Post
I never saw the attraction of being able to stream to my iPad. Basically since it is in home only I wouldn't find it useful. At home I have larger higher quality screens than that on the iPad to view.

Now, when I am mobile, that is a completely different issue. I do use KMTTG and iTunes to move content to my iPad for watching on the train etc.
I agree with you. But does an iPad have any HiDef outputs you could use to connect to a big screen TV?
janry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 03:05 PM   #7
smoothtivo

Right now I am using the monsoon vulkano to stream my TiVo to my iPad. So far I am ipressed with it. It only set me back 99 bucks. It's basically like a sling box but can record via a dvr feature. Anything I have recorded to the vulkano I can upload to the iPad with the vulkano iPad app and watch it on the go.
smoothtivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 03:39 PM   #8
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by janry View Post
I agree with you. But does an iPad have any HiDef outputs you could use to connect to a big screen TV?
It appears it does (cables sold separately): http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 03:40 PM   #9
Ruth
Now with toddler

I wish to take that survey! Is there a place I can find it, or do you have to be invited?
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:05 PM   #10
DeWitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by janry View Post
I can use airplay to my Apple TV to play. I don't use this for everything, but when you find a video while surfing the web it is pretty neat to be able to wirelessly stream it to your TV/Audio system.

I have the newer Apple TV that was only 99 Dollars.
DeWitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:09 PM   #11
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWitt View Post
I can use airplay to my Apple TV to play. I don't use this for everything, but when you find a video while surfing the web it is pretty neat to be able to wirelessly stream it to your TV/Audio system.

I have the newer Apple TV that was only 99 Dollars.
This cable is only $39, and provides an HDMI output for the iPad: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC953ZM/A
I think this would be the easiest setup if the sole purpose would be streaming from a TiVo in one room to the iPad attached to a TV in another.

Last edited by orangeboy : 03-09-2011 at 04:14 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:49 PM   #12
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
So I'm sure some of you read this recent Engadget post.
What are the odds of this actually happening?
EXTREMELY low. Besides, they would do MUCH MUCH better to simply add the ability to stream to/from to *any* device using something like DLNA instead of locking it to one proprietary product.

But, that would cut into their precious subscriptions, since they can hold people ransom with only TiVo to TiVo streaming.

So, as I said.... EXTREMELY low.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:58 PM   #13
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotVeryWitty View Post
Someone should correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there's a very big hurdle to overcome. The iPad's native video format is H.264 (mpeg4), and most (all?) shows recorded by the Tivo are mpeg2. I don't think either the Tivo or the iPad have enough horsepower to do on-the-fly transcoding of mpeg2 to H.264, to allow streaming (at least for HD).
You are correct but not for that exact reason. There is no such thing as a "video format". There is a video container and a video codec (and an audio codec). Mpeg4 is not a codec, it is a container that uses H.264 video and AAC audio. I would be surprised if the iPad couldn't play the mpeg2 codec. Although it might not like AC3.....

Transcoding from one codec to another is something that simply cannot occur on the TiVo (nor iPad).... it requires hundreds of times more CPU power than available (HD programs are truly massive). So streaming could only occur in the native codecs from the TiVo (although you can sometimes change the CONTAINER they are in without much CPU overhead). If the destination device can't handle it, it is the end of the game. In the case of the iPad, although it can probably play the mpeg2 video codec, there is probably no way it can handle/play it at 1080i resolution and typical HDTV bitrates. Plus it might barf on the AC3 audio codec.

Edit:
http://www.ifunia.com/ipad-column/ip...o-formats.html

The iPad doesn't have a decoder for Mpeg2 codec nor AC3. So no, it could never support TiVo streaming. The end.

Last edited by crxssi : 03-09-2011 at 05:07 PM.
crxssi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:59 PM   #14
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaown View Post
Or a Tivo Extender with cablecard support - but no monthly Tivo fee.
No such thing. Cablecards are issued and managed by your cable company. They have nothing to do with devices not directly attached to cable.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:44 PM   #15
mishafp

Sling Media better hope not- they'd lose half their business overnight (assuming the streaming would be to any computer, not just Ipad).
mishafp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:56 PM   #16
tombonneau

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
EXTREMELY low. Besides, they would do MUCH MUCH better to simply add the ability to stream to/from to *any* device using something like DLNA instead of locking it to one proprietary product.

But, that would cut into their precious subscriptions, since they can hold people ransom with only TiVo to TiVo streaming.

So, as I said.... EXTREMELY low.
Yeah I'm not holding my breath based on Tivo's track record. I have more faith Sezmi will deliver a streaming DVR-to-iDevice functionality before Tivo.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:36 PM   #17
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Yeah I'm not holding my breath based on Tivo's track record. I have more faith Sezmi will deliver a streaming DVR-to-iDevice functionality before Tivo.
Not sure what a Sezmi is, but see my other post- the iDevices have no mpeg2 decoder hardware, so streaming from a TiVo to an ipad can never happen.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:41 PM   #18
deandashl

Can it happen, easily.

Will it happen?

Probably not.

Unless, it was already in the pipeline.

With the way things are going.......
deandashl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:00 AM   #19
Worf

I suppose an independent person can do it.

Just integrate in TiVoDecode and stuff like that.

Not sure about MPEG-2 support, but I believe there have been several video players for the iPad that support MPEG-2, so standard def video at a minimum should be playable... your 1080i with Dolby Digital will probably have issues.
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:24 AM   #20
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandashl View Post
Can it happen, easily.
When the iPad has no mpeg2 or AC3 decoder hardware or software and neither box has dedicated transcoding ASICs, what part of it would be possible or "easy"?
Old 03-10-2011, 12:05 PM   #21
tombonneau

Quote:
Not sure what a Sezmi is, but see my other post- the iDevices have no mpeg2 decoder hardware, so streaming from a TiVo to an ipad can never happen.
Sezmi is an OTA DVR that in it's first iteration has come out of the gate with a better HD UI than Tivo has in 10+ years. Their CEO claims they are looking into streaming to devices, and my point is I have more faith in a start-up making this happen sooner than Tivo. And I don't think the chances are high Sezmi will ever do it.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:38 PM   #22
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
When the iPad has no mpeg2 or AC3 decoder hardware or software and neither box has dedicated transcoding ASICs, what part of it would be possible or "easy"?
Well, the part where one ports an MPEG2 software decoder to the iPad. Even with no hardware acceleration, it could at least do SD.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:11 PM   #23
Quake97

It'll happen... February 30, 2012.

Joe
Quake97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:19 PM   #24
bradleys
It'll be fine....

I use air-video to stream mpeg2 movies from my server to my ipad all the time... The combination does the conversion just fine - so I would not say that it is impossible, it just might need to use a PC based engine that could be deployed with TiVo Desktop.

http://www.inmethod.com/air-video/index.html
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:36 PM   #25
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Well, the part where one ports an MPEG2 software decoder to the iPad. Even with no hardware acceleration, it could at least do SD.
I thought about that already. But I don't see a huge value in that. I don't know about you, but my TiVo recordings are about 95% HD. Plus, I imagine it would really eat up the battery on the portable device, having to decode and display high-bitrate SD content.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:38 PM   #26
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
I use air-video to stream mpeg2 movies from my server to my ipad all the time... The combination does the conversion just fine - so I would not say that it is impossible, it just might need to use a [desktop computer] based engine that could be deployed with TiVo Desktop.
Although certainly possible, that is not streaming from a TiVo, it is streaming from a desktop computer which is transcoding the video.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:14 PM   #27
MrSkippy53

Quote:
Originally Posted by janry

iPad No iPad2 will have hdmi out
MrSkippy53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:27 PM   #28
MrSkippy53

And you can get composite video out of IPad, iPod touch, and iPhone. Jailbreak and use TVout app from Cydia...
MrSkippy53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:38 PM   #29
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSkippy53 View Post
And you can get composite video out of IPad, iPod touch, and iPhone. Jailbreak and use TVout app from Cydia...
The cable I linked to in an earlier post has this as a description:

Quote:
Use the Apple Digital AV Adapter to mirror whatever’s on your iPad 2 screen — apps, presentations, websites, and more — on your HDTV or HDMI-compatible display in up to 1080p HD (movies play at up to 720p).
Watch slideshows and movies on the big screen in up to 720p by connecting your iPad, iPhone 4, or iPod touch (4th generation) to an HDTV or HDMI-compatible display.
The Apple Digital AV Adapter routes digital audio to screens that support it.
Connect the Apple Digital AV Adapter to your iPad, iPhone 4, or iPod touch (4th generation) via the 30-pin dock connector and to your HDMI-compatible display using an HDMI cable (sold separately).
A second 30-pin connector built into the AV adapter lets you charge and sync your device while it’s connected to your HDMI-compatible display.
Why not just use it?

Old 03-11-2011, 12:38 AM   #30
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
I don't know about you, but my TiVo recordings are about 95% HD.
I'm optimistic that it could do HD, too; I just don't know enough about the iPad to say for sure.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote