Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateRob View Post
Can we delete the thread title now?
FYP
Aniketos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:02 PM   #62
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

Parks and Rec was simply blah until they brought in Rob Lowe and...I'm blanking on his name. The last few seasons have been magic.

And even Tiny Fey admits the 30 Rock pilot wasn't very good.
YCantAngieRead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:08 PM   #63
TonyD79

Quote:
Well, it's largely the same now as it was in Season 2, going forward. It's definitely been tweaked, but that was largely from S1--> S2. They realized that Leslie Knope was a far better and funnier character when she was super-competent than in S1 when she was Michael Scott-esque.

That's the only major change in the show. The characters have evolved over time, but nothing jarring. The creator/show-runner Mike Shur is a big fan of The Wire, and he doesn't like the status quo, so they will continue to evolve and move forward.
They also got away from the single-note story arc of the park she was trying to build and made the story lines more flexible, so we can get Leslie and characters into a lot of different things. Open it up for better comedy.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:23 PM   #64
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YCantAngieRead View Post
Parks and Rec was simply blah until they brought in Rob Lowe and...I'm blanking on his name. The last few seasons have been magic.
I disagree, at least somewhat. Parks was astoundingly good pretty much from the minute S2 started, and Chris & Ben didn't come in until the end of S2 (second to last ep or thereabouts).

The first season was dreadful, but thankfully it was only 6 eps or so, and I only stuck with it because the creators and the cast were so good that it had to get better. And I'm glad I did. S2/S3 is probably the strongest consecutive seasons that a sitcom has ever put together, and while I don't think S4 was quite as good, it was still better than just about everything else on TV.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:26 PM   #65
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
They also got away from the single-note story arc of the park she was trying to build and made the story lines more flexible, so we can get Leslie and characters into a lot of different things. Open it up for better comedy.
It was only a single-note arc because the first season only lasted for 6 eps. The arc was no more or less short (or single-note) than any other arc the show has done, but since it took the entire (abbreviated) first season and the first couple of eps from the second season, it seemed longer than it was. Heck, this season had one main arc that lasted for the entire season.

No, the only real difference is that they fundamentally changed Leslie. Pretty much everything else you can chalk up to getting to know the characters as they got more and more screen time.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:35 PM   #66
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
As expected, Parks & Rec gets the same 13-ep pickup as Community, with nothing being said about it being the final season. Can we change the thread title now?

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/whats-al...n-for-season-5
Correction - the Parks & Rec pickup is for a *full* 22-ep season! Woot!

Old 05-11-2012, 02:35 PM   #67
max99

It has changed to a full 22 episodes for Parks and Rec.
max99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:39 PM   #68
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by max99 View Post
So what you're saying is it was killed off. Slow Death
Old 05-11-2012, 02:59 PM   #69
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Extremely slow.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:05 PM   #70
busyba
The Funcooker

Not dead yet.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

busyba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:44 PM   #71
Boston Fan

Imagine how many episodes would they have ordered if they hadn't killed it off!
Boston Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:01 PM   #72
ElJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickels View Post
Not to change topics, but Parks and Rec is completely different now than it was when it started. They really tweaked it a lot and now it is up there as one of the best shows on TV. Ron Swanson is simply hilarious.
I agree... This show has been great. Somewhere towards the end of the second season I got tired of it, though I kept recording and saved up about a year and a half of episodes. A couple of months ago I started watching them all (I'm caught up now) and it has been fantastic.
ElJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:03 PM   #73
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

YESSSS!!!

Still the last season, though?
Old 05-11-2012, 06:16 PM   #74
Fleegle
Chef-In-Training

I agree, NBC is doing the excat opposite of "killing off" these shows. They announced a RENEWAL if the shows for the next season. They have ordered 13 episodes each, but that doesn't mean it's being killed off. I'm sure they have the option for a pickup on the back 9.

For Chuck's 4th season, (I think), NBC renewed for 13 episodes, then ordered an additional 11 before midseason.

Thread title fail.
Fleegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:52 PM   #75
Sparty99

Why doesn't network television understand that 13 episodes is pretty much ideal for a quality season? Anything over that is filling in story lines with ridiculous plots and it ruins the quality of the show. I've never watched P&R but I like 30 Rock and Community (although I won't necessarily be sad when they're gone).

I readily admit that network TV can't compete with cable networks when it comes to what they can get past standards & practices, but the best thing cable TV has come up with is the 13-episode season.

Sparty99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:15 PM   #76
Boston Fan

Quote:
YESSSS!!!

Other than the OP's erroneous thread title, I haven't seen anything suggesting it the last season for Parks & Rec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleegle View Post
I agree, NBC is doing the excat opposite of "killing off" these shows. They announced a RENEWAL if the shows for the next season. They have ordered 13 episodes each, but that doesn't mean it's being killed off. I'm sure they have the option for a pickup on the back 9.

For Chuck's 4th season, (I think), NBC renewed for 13 episodes, then ordered an additional 11 before midseason.

Thread title fail.
As noted earlier, Parks & Rec has been picked up for a full 22 episodes. Rumors of its demise have been completely imagined by the OP.
Boston Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:31 PM   #77
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateRob

Somehow, I think we are just missing a Miracle Max quote here. Talking about a not fully dead show and posts by the dread pirate himself.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:35 PM   #78
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
How soon before the "They can't cancel Community or Parks & Recreation after next season if there are only 13 episodes each - they'll only have 84 and 81 (i.e. not the 100 you 'need' for syndication) episodes!" campaigns begin?
Now that P&R has been picked up for 22 episodes instead of 13, that would give it 90 - add "plenty for syndication, plus it's a multiple of 5 which makes it easier to sell internationally" to the rumored reasons it wouldn't go past next season...
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:51 PM   #79
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparty99 View Post
Why doesn't network television understand that 13 episodes is pretty much ideal for a quality season?
I disagree with this *UNLESS* you make (at least) 2 shows per year for each timeslot (+ specials/awards shows/etc.)

In other words, if we went down to 13 episodes being typical (instead of low 20s-24), we'd have even MORE reruns of shows.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:59 PM   #80
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparty99 View Post
Why doesn't network television understand that 13 episodes is pretty much ideal for a quality season? Anything over that is filling in story lines with ridiculous plots and it ruins the quality of the show. I've never watched P&R but I like 30 Rock and Community (although I won't necessarily be sad when they're gone).

I readily admit that network TV can't compete with cable networks when it comes to what they can get past standards & practices, but the best thing cable TV has come up with is the 13-episode season.
It's all about the money. Network TV has figured out that 22 episodes is the financial sweet spot. More episodes and the cast/crew feel overworked and the license fees are excessive. Fewer episodes and the network isn't getting its money's worth and it doesn't have enough content to fill its timeslots. Also, it's much cheaper to produce 22 episodes of one show per year than it is to produce 13 episodes each of two shows.

Remember, the network doesn't really care that much about whether the story/plot is perfect. If there are some filler episodes, that's no big deal. It's all about the money, and the advertisers pay just as much for filler episodes as they do for substantive episodes.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:11 AM   #81
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
Somehow, I think we are just missing a Miracle Max quote here. Talking about a not fully dead show and posts by the dread pirate himself.
They're not even mostly dead.

How's that?
Old 05-12-2012, 03:12 AM   #82
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
YESSSS!!!

Nope. At least, not for Community or Parks & Rec. (It will be 30 Rock's last season, however).
Old 05-12-2012, 08:00 AM   #83
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateRob

They're not even mostly dead.

How's that?

Old 05-12-2012, 08:59 AM   #84
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

It's time for 30 Rock. I love that show, but I don't have a problem with that.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:07 PM   #85
Fish Man
Phish Food

This is indeed the most misleadingly titled thread ever.

So, NONE of the shows that the thread title says are being "killed off" are canceled, and all are, in fact, renewed for next year.

Nuts.

When this thread first appeared, my thought was, "If NBC is killing these shows and keeping The Office (which, sadly, has clearly jumped the shark) they're beyond insane, and deserve any ratings hit they get.

Of course, it turns out, that thought is moot...

(All that is a round-about way of saying, "why don't we rename this thread now?")

Fish Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:30 PM   #86
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Man View Post
(All that is a round-about way of saying, "why don't we rename this thread now?")
Because the comedy value is awesome.

If the thread does get renamed though, it should just be to add a prefix like "NOT REALLY: "

"of course, you are 100% correct" --

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:59 PM   #87
Azlen

It's not officially the last season of 30 Rock either.

http://www.vulture.com/2012/05/nbc-w...he-office.html

"What's more, Greenblatt said he's not ready to say it's over for 30 Rock just yet, either. "I now that's the speculation that's been out there, but it is not yet official," he said."
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:24 PM   #88
Hank
AC•FTW

Kill off 30 Rock, and bring back Studio 60
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:35 PM   #89
tiams

Since they are relegating community to Friday nights, that gives the thread title a little more veracity. But the title still sucks.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:11 PM   #90
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

I suspect next season may be the next for the Office. I'm too lazy to go back through-is it 22 episodes?