TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-09-2012, 05:23 PM   #1
Mikeyis4dcats

NBC kills off Parks & Rec, 30 Rock and Community

All will receive shortened final season orders to wrap up the series.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...e=home_oneline
Mikeyis4dcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:30 PM   #2
Ment

I'm okay with it. 5 seasons of PnR is more than could be hoped for given its ratings, even tho its one of if not the best 30 min comedy going.
Ment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:31 PM   #3
Amnesia
The Question

Your thread title suggests that those shows had been canceled, but the linked article says that they will all likely be renewed.

How is that "killing them off"?
Amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:39 PM   #4
zalusky

They are giving them a FINAL shortened season. Probably because they decided they have stuff in place for the second part of the year.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:45 PM   #5
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Great news. Given the ratings, that's all that any fan could have hoped for. And since NBC has reportedly picked up at least five new comedies for next year, and may still pick up more, the speculation has been that they were going to run many more comedies next year and do them in shortened 13-episode seasons rather than doing full 22 episode seasons and then having to air reruns or go on hiatus, etc. This article seems to confirm that speculation, at least in part.

Last edited by DevdogAZ : 05-09-2012 at 05:55 PM.
DevdogAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:51 PM   #6
BrettStah

Yeah, bad headline for the thread.

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
BrettStah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:52 PM   #7
Zevida
witless and unarmed

I will be really sad to see Parks & Rec go, but I would rather it go out on top at five seasons than do what The Office did.

I gave up on 30 Rock already.

Community I seem to love when I'm watching, but I don't look forward to it the way I did in the first season.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- billypritchard
Zevida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:55 PM   #8
TheMerk
Always Bid First

Wow. Killing off three established shows seems a little extreme. I know the ratings weren't there, but jeez.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/

TheMerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:58 PM   #9
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

That article slightly contradicts what was reported yesterday by tvline.com (Michael Ausiello's website, who is usually pretty good with his insider info). According to tvline, 30 Rock is coming back for its 7th and final season, but while Community and P&R are also coming back to shortened seasons, they are not necessarily going to be their final seasons.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:08 PM   #10
daveak
Series 3 Novice

I will give NBC this - They have allowed a couple shows to end gracefully recently (Like Chuck). Not like Fox did with Firefly. BIHF.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:11 PM   #11
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateRob View Post
That article slightly contradicts what was reported yesterday by tvline.com (Michael Ausiello's website, who is usually pretty good with his insider info). According to tvline, 30 Rock is coming back for its 7th and final season, but while Community and P&R are also coming back to shortened seasons, they are not necessarily going to be their final seasons.
Actually, the article in the OP doesn't really say anything official about P&R or Community. It says that 30 Rock will likely have a shortened final season, and then the stuff about P&R and Community is pure speculation.

Also, I just read about a couple other comedy pickups by NBC, bringing their total to six new comedies. In order to get that many new comedies on the air, they're either going to be expanding their comedy blocks and/or airing shortened seasons of most of their comedies.

I wonder what that means for Whitney and Up All Night. Chelsea is obviously done.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:26 PM   #12
astrohip
Stuart F

Your headline is misleading at best, and quite possibly wrong.

What makes people create a thread titled so intentionally wrong? I just don't understand it.

Think I'm overreacting? Did a single one of you read this and NOT think, "Oh geez, xxx has been cancelled".
astrohip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:38 PM   #13
Mikeyis4dcats

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Your headline is misleading at best, and quite possibly wrong.

What makes people create a thread titled so intentionally wrong? I just don't understand it.

Think I'm overreacting? Did a single one of you read this and NOT think, "Oh geez, xxx has been cancelled".

get over it. In my opinion, they ARE killing them off, of the reports are true. If you announce that you are proceeding with a shortened season that will be the final season, you're killing it off. It's not a non-renewal, and it's not a full renewal.
Mikeyis4dcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:03 PM   #14
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Also, I just read about a couple other comedy pickups by NBC, bringing their total to six new comedies. In order to get that many new comedies on the air, they're either going to be expanding their comedy blocks and/or airing shortened seasons of most of their comedies.
There are five listed in the article. That would bring the total to 7.
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:10 PM   #15
BrettStah

It's not the end of the world, but I also thought NBC had announced the shows listed in the thread title were not coming back next season at all, which would have been surprising. Instead, they didn't announce anything, an there is a report of rumors that the shows will come back for 13 episodes. (which is 2 seasons worth of shows if they were British shows. )

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
BrettStah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:12 PM   #16
cmontyburns
Excellent.

NBC's upfront presentation is Monday. We'll know then. Until that time, it's all speculation.
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:14 PM   #17
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyis4dcats View Post
get over it. In my opinion, they ARE killing them off, of the reports are true. If you announce that you are proceeding with a shortened season that will be the final season, you're killing it off. It's not a non-renewal, and it's not a full renewal.
Except that NBC has not announced anything. The article you posted was reporting on what the rumors are of what NBC will announce next Monday.
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:30 PM   #18
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
There are five listed in the article. That would bring the total to 7.
I wasn't referring to that article. I was referring to previous reports that had listed four. That article includes one that wasn't in the initial reports, and then since then they've announced a sixth pickup entitled "Guys with Kids."
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmontyburns View Post
NBC's upfront presentation is Monday. We'll know then. Until that time, it's all speculation.
They'll be doing a media conference call on Sunday, so we'll know then at the latest, but it's very possible there will be official announcements on some of these things sooner than that.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:12 PM   #19
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

They might not be highly rated, but a new show would arguably be worse off without something for audiences to transition to.

My blog:
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:42 PM   #20
Alfer
WOOSAH!

We'll miss Community a little bit as it's a fun diversion, but we don't watch the other two.

Hopefully they can find some funny replacements.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:01 PM   #21
mattack

Quote:
You need reading/writing comprehension.

Killing them off would be cancelling/not renewing them THIS season.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:06 PM   #22
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

I don't give a crap about the others, but I am crushed over Parks and Rec.
YCantAngieRead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:13 PM   #23
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
In my opinion, they ARE killing them off, if the reports are true.
And now you even qualify it with "if the reports are true".

There were lots of ways to create this thread, but your way was wrong. It's not that I need to get over it, it's not that big a deal. It's just my feeble attempt at hoping people will strive to create better titles, when they see the effects of a poorly created one.

In other news, someone was wrong on the Internet today, so I'm off to correct them.
astrohip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:20 AM   #24
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

If true, I'm ok with it I guess. I don't watch P&R, but I do watch the other two. 30 Rock, to me is out of ideas, so a graceful exit is good. Despite all the knocking I do on Community I will really miss that, and also glad that it will get a nice sendoff. On the other hand, I have to question their choices for new sitcoms. Anne Heche? Matthew Perry? Bill Pulliman? What have they done on TV that has been the least bit successful recently? So rather than find some fresh new talent, they are recycling has beens and never was. I thought Whitney was a good idea because they brought in someone who was fresh and different. But I guess that's kind of normal for the way TV is, the networks are more likely to take a risk on shows with a big "name".
Old 05-10-2012, 07:32 AM   #25
cheesesteak
Meh.

I'll miss Community.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:08 AM   #26
sieglinde

I am so confused. Like others, I will wait for the upfronts next week. I never got past the pilot on 30 Rock. I did not get past the pilot on Parks and Rec. Community is past its freshness date. (Weirdly, an episode has been nominated for the Hugo Awards, an annual big SF award.)
Old 05-10-2012, 08:10 AM   #27
Amnesia
The Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
I'll miss Community.
You mean, after next season, right? (If the OP's rumors are to be believed)
Amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:13 AM   #28
Donbadabon
Geocacher

This just in - NBC is going to cancel every show currently on its network!!

Well, not right now, but eventually.

Yeah, the wording of the thread title seems to suggest an immediate action, as opposed to a future action.
Donbadabon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:47 AM   #29
Zevida
witless and unarmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieglinde View Post
I am so confused. Like others, I will wait for the upfronts next week. I never got past the pilot on 30 Rock. I did not get past the pilot on Parks and Rec. Community is past its freshness date. (Weirdly, an episode has been nominated for the Hugo Awards, an annual big SF award.)
You should give P&R another try. Start with season 2 and watch a few episodes. It was a thousand times better than season 1. I also gave up after the pilot, but tried a few episodes in season 2 and now I think it's the best comedy on TV bar none.

- billypritchard
Zevida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:52 AM   #30
jakerock
Hey ho howdy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbadabon View Post
This just in - NBC is going to cancel every show currently on its network!!

Well, not right now, but eventually.

Yeah, the wording of the thread title seems to suggest an immediate action, as opposed to a future action.
That's exactly what I was thinking. The OP feels that the title is justified because they are killing them off, just not right now, and we don't know when because there is just speculation...

This just in: "We are all dying!" some day.