TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-21-2013, 08:27 AM   #1
secondclaw

Doctor Who - 04/20/2013 - "Hide"

This was a much,much better episode than the last two. Some things stand out though - Clara talking to the Tardis interface and bonding a little was great. It's interesting that the Tardis used Clara's image for the interface (I believe it/she did that with the Doctor few years back). That Emma (the empath) found nothing odd with Clara was I guess odd in itself. I did think the writers would be going somewhere with the professor's military past, was disappointed that they haven't, though perhaps they were drawing a parallel between the Doctor and the professor.

The 'Ghostbusters' and 'Doctor what? If you Like!' lines were great. The creature was fascinating as well - hope we will see it again. Abrupt commercial cuts were painful though. Is it still the case that BBC UK version is longer?
secondclaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:33 AM   #2
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondclaw View Post
Is it still the case that BBC UK version is longer?
The BBC UK version, *not* including preview and closing credits, was 43:43. (With preview and credits, it would have been around 45 minutes.) So yes, I would expect at least two minutes or more to be trimmed from the episode to fit into an American broadcast length of about 41 minutes.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:34 AM   #3
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondclaw View Post
Is it still the case that BBC UK version is longer?
Sometimes. This season, the British edition has ranged from 40:53 to 48:27. Last night's was 44:14, so it probably lost a couple of minutes.

Yes, better than it's been lately, but I have to say, I've been looking forward to Orphan Black more than Doctor Who. Which is really startling and sad. I'm sure it will recover; it always does. But this half-season has definitely been a low point in the post-reboot series.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:35 AM   #4
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
I liked this episode much better as well.

What war was the professor supposedly in? He was too young to do all those heroic leader type things in ww2 I would think.

How did the tardis keep powering the blue crystal when it flew away?
Old 04-21-2013, 08:43 AM   #5
danterner
Not it!

I really enjoyed this episode. I'm not entirely sure it needed the monster love story, "every monster needs a companion" notwithstanding. Also, something about it was reminiscent of the Vincent Van Gogh episode to me (though in broad strokes it was very different, and I think that episode was far better - maybe one of the best in the modern series for me).

The "Doctor What" bit was great, as was the "we are all ghosts to you" discussion. And I like the growing appreciation the Doctor has for Clara (especially evident in his reaction when she asked him to dare her, and the high-five was also a fun moment).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:

Last edited by danterner : 04-21-2013 at 08:56 AM.
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:06 AM   #6
ThePennyDropped
Now I get it.

I also enjoyed this episode considerably more than the past few.

Can someone please explain one thing to me? When the Doctor and Clara were exploring the house, why did they need to carry the candelabra? It was 1974, and the house had electric power (even if it was 400 years old, it had power for all the electronic gear the professor was using). And even though I was just a kid back in '74, I seem to recall flashlights existing in those days.
ThePennyDropped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:41 AM   #7
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
Maybe he had as many fuses pulled as possible to minimize interference with his ghost sensing equipment.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:36 PM   #8
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePennyDropped View Post
I

Can someone please explain one thing to me? When the Doctor and Clara were exploring the house, why did they need to carry the candelabra?
Because it was too dark to see without its light.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:38 PM   #9
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

Was anyone else waiting for the statues to move?! Or at least a comment about it?

I was surprised that the Doctor was scared--we rarely see him scared of any creature/phenomenon (and right off the top of my head I can't think of anything).

sushikitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:08 PM   #10
kdmorse

I really, really liked it, up until about the last 5 minutes.

They kinda need to stop with the Deus Ex out of nowhere in the last 5 minutes that they've been doing this half of this season. It's getting tiresome...

Which is a shame, because it was almost "Blink" quality up until that point...
kdmorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:50 PM   #11
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

I'm still trying to understand why the cloister bells were ringing in the TARDIS, they usually only do that for a huge issue, right? Like a paradox that ends time, etc
Old 04-21-2013, 04:52 PM   #12
cheesesteak
Meh.

I liked this episode a lot. The monster reminded me of the creature from the future on the British dinosaur show I can't remember the name of.

I wonder why this Doctor forgot how he used to pronounce "Metebelis" when he was Jon Pertwee. I recently watched the Planet Of The Spiders episode and it was pronounced Met-a-bee-lis III, not Met-a-bell-is III.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:06 PM   #13
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushikitten View Post
Was anyone else waiting for the statues to move?! Or at least a comment about it?
Yeah, I saw those and immediately yelled "don't blink!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
I'm still trying to understand why the cloister bells were ringing in the TARDIS, they usually only do that for a huge issue, right? Like a paradox that ends time, etc
Well, the Doctor getting relocated from this universe to a pocket universe was rather catastrophic.... until it wasn't.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:13 PM   #14
cheesesteak
Meh.

I still don't like the Tardis' two external windows being such a bright white.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:29 PM   #15
Philosofy
Super Duper Member

I missed the "Doctor What", can someone recap?

Also,my prediction on Clara (and you heard it here first): Clara is a perfectly normal girl, nothing mysterious going on. However, in the future while traveling with the Doctor, something happens. She either gets cloned, or splits into multiple people throughout time, and THOSE people are extraordinary. In his search to solve the mystery of Clara, the Doctor himself creates the mystery.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:30 PM   #16
Azlen

It's looking like the answer to the mystery behind Clara will be something that will happen rather than something that has happened.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:32 PM   #17
kdmorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
It's looking like the answer to the mystery behind Clara will be something that will happen rather than something that has happened.
It's also possible the empathy lady lied. She seemed to have a genuine mistrust of the Doctor, and if there is anything she knows about Clara, she might have chosen not to tell him.

Or at least, that's the vibe I got. Could go either way...
kdmorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:08 PM   #18
pteronaut
Registered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
I liked this episode a lot. The monster reminded me of the creature from the future on the British dinosaur show I can't remember the name of...
Primeval.
pteronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:22 PM   #19
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosofy View Post
I missed the "Doctor What", can someone recap?

Also,my prediction on Clara (and you heard it here first): Clara is a perfectly normal girl, nothing mysterious going on. However, in the future while traveling with the Doctor, something happens. She either gets cloned, or splits into multiple people throughout time, and THOSE people are extraordinary. In his search to solve the mystery of Clara, the Doctor himself creates the mystery.
The doctor announced himself as "the Doctor." Major Alec Palmer, the scientist guy, responded "Doctor what?" The Doctor replied, "If you like." (It's a riff on the ongoing theme with people asking the question "Doctor who?")

And for the latter, I'm sticking with my theory that the other Claras/Oswins are all different "potential" Claras ,the result of alternate choices/outcomes. Except, instead of them being each in their own alternate universes (as we saw in "Turn Left") they are all somehow in ours. How that comes to be has yet to happen.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:13 PM   #20
JohnB1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Yes, better than it's been lately, but I have to say, I've been looking forward to Orphan Black more than Doctor Who. Which is really startling and sad. I'm sure it will recover; it always does. But this half-season has definitely been a low point in the post-reboot series.
Yawn Yawn
Old 04-21-2013, 09:15 PM   #21
JohnB1000

A much better episode. I heard before I watched it that it "really good" so my expectations were high. I liked it a lot but I'm finding I miss the more fully developed season arcs. Since I want DW to be "really good" I think my expectations were a bit too high.

For the Brits (and Brit music fans). I could have sworn that was Jarvis Cocker running about in the woods.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:16 AM   #22
dtle

What does the British slang "cow" means? I don't think it means "fat", like for us Americans. Is it something closer to "bitch"?
dtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:30 AM   #23
pgogborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtle View Post
What does the British slang "cow" means? I don't think it means "fat", like for us Americans. Is it something closer to "bitch"?
Not fat, close to bitch but perhaps with a suggestion of stupidity / obstinancy.

A classic British comedy show had a variation as a catchphrase “You silly old moo".

Last edited by pgogborn : 04-22-2013 at 12:04 PM. Reason: removed stray word
pgogborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:53 AM   #24
whitson77
Director Level

Still pretty disappointed with this season. Not terrible, but not that good either.
whitson77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:06 PM   #25
pgogborn

I wish he was a good enough actor to play a man with "a sliver of ice in his heart".
pgogborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:26 PM   #26
danterner
Not it!

Now that there have been a few episodes since the Rings one, can we revisit it for a moment so someone can explain whether any memories actually were taken from the Doctor? It certainly seems like he's still functioning as normal, memory fully intact. That episode wasn't clear to me; I know the leaf and all its inherent potential futures unfulfilled were ultimately offered up, but before that wasn't his memory being extracted? Or did I completely misunderstand what was happening in that scene?

ETA: posted here instead of in the Rings episode thread, because that seemed like the most spoiler-free way to ask the question.

| Facebook:
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:44 PM   #27
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
Now that there have been a few episodes since the Rings one, can we revisit it for a moment so someone can explain whether any memories actually were taken from the Doctor? It certainly seems like he's still functioning as normal, memory fully intact. That episode wasn't clear to me; I know the leaf and all its inherent potential futures unfulfilled were ultimately offered up, but before that wasn't his memory being extracted? Or did I completely misunderstand what was happening in that scene?

ETA: posted here instead of in the Rings episode thread, because that seemed like the most spoiler-free way to ask the question.
Well, he did forget how to pronounce Metebelis.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:56 PM   #28
secondclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtle View Post
I always thought it meant 'stubborn', which made sense in the scene's context .
secondclaw is online now   Reply With Quote