TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-09-2012, 03:55 AM   #1
TiVo_Fanatic

TCD648250B Replacement drive needed...

Does anyone happen to have a working stock drive from a model TCD648250B TiVo (OLED Model) they don't need ? Mine is failing / has failed so I need to try and find a replacement stock drive for it. I could upgrade to a large drive but it's not the main TiVo (I have an Elite for that job), just one used for my mom to transfer shows to for her to watch which is why I'm after a stock replacement drive. So ya, does anyone have a working one they don't need ?

If so please PM me with the details on how old it is, how long it was run before getting pulled, how it's been stored etc.

Ty.

Interested in trying to earn a free PSVita, then check
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
out & PM me for help.
TiVo_Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:00 PM   #2
poppagene
User

You could try ebay in which case I would recommend http://www.ebay.com/itm/WESTERN-DIGI...item336ffb585b .
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:57 PM   #3
TiVo_Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppagene View Post
You could try ebay in which case I would recommend http://www.ebay.com/itm/WESTERN-DIGI...item336ffb585b .
Except I dont have $40 - $50 to spend... was hoping to find one for a lil bit less here or one that someone would just give up for cost of S&H.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
out & PM me for help.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:08 PM   #4
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVo_Fanatic View Post
Does anyone happen to have a working stock drive from a model TCD648250B TiVo (OLED Model) they don't need ? Mine is failing / has failed so I need to try and find a replacement stock drive for it. I could upgrade to a large drive but it's not the main TiVo (I have an Elite for that job), just one used for my mom to transfer shows to for her to watch which is why I'm after a stock replacement drive. So ya, does anyone have a working one they don't need ?

If so please PM me with the details on how old it is, how long it was run before getting pulled, how it's been stored etc.

Ty.
Find the cheapest 250GB or larger SATA drive you can (check Craigslist), and load the 648 image on it (it's somewhere in the "need an image, don't PM me" thread).

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:11 PM   #5
TiVo_Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Find the cheapest 250GB or larger SATA drive you can (check Craigslist), and load the 648 image on it (it's somewhere in the "need an image, don't PM me" thread).
I'd rather have one I don't have to "manage" seeing as how I would most likely mess something up trying to image a drive.

out & PM me for help.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:24 PM   #6
unitron

Quote:
I'd rather have one I don't have to "manage" seeing as how I would most likely mess something up trying to image a drive.
A stock S3 drive is going to be just as old and probably have as many miles on it as the one you're looking to replace.

WinMFS makes the process relatively painless and goof-proof.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:32 PM   #7
TiVo_Fanatic

Quote:
A stock S3 drive is going to be just as old and probably have as many miles on it as the one you're looking to replace.
Thats why I'm after drive info like how long it was run before being pulled etc.

Quote:
WinMFS makes the process relatively painless and goof-proof.
Maybe so and while the software still works it doesnt appear to have been touched in some time, at least when I last checked the forums. Also, that requires a drive enclosure I dont have that would cost me $40 if not more on top of whatever I would have to spend on the drive if anything at all.

out & PM me for help.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:42 PM   #8
unitron

Quote:
Thats why I'm after drive info like how long it was run before being pulled etc.

Maybe so and while the software still works it doesnt appear to have been touched in some time, at least when I last checked the forums. Also, that requires a drive enclosure I dont have that would cost me $40 if not more on top of whatever I would have to spend on the drive if anything at all.
Do you own a PC running Windows XP or a later version of Windows?

If so, I assume if you're competent to open up a TiVo and replace the drive that you could open up the computer and hook the drive to a SATA port.

Out of all of the people in the world selling 250GB SATA drives, you only want to deal with the subset of those selling the original drives out of their S3s, and out of them you only want to deal with the ones selling cheap, and out of them you only want to deal with the ones willing to put up with the 3rd degree about the drive's condition and history.

I wish you luck in succeeding despite all of those conditions.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:04 PM   #9
TiVo_Fanatic

Quote:
you only want to deal with the subset of those selling the original drives out of their S3s, and out of them you only want to deal with the ones selling cheap, and out of them you only want to deal with the ones willing to put up with the 3rd degree about the drive's condition and history.
You make it sound like I'm hitler for TiVo.

I'm sure you nit pick over stuff as well so wether or not youd ever admit to it your just like me in that regard about something.

out & PM me for help.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:09 PM   #10
unitron

Quote:

I'm sure you nit pick over stuff as well so wether or not youd ever admit to it your just like me in that regard about something.
I'm trying to help you get what you want.

I'm also trying to help you understand that what you want and the way you want to get it are not the same thing, and that more flexibility in how you get it will increase your chances of getting it.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:55 PM   #11
poppagene
User

Quote:

You want a barely used drive with tivo software loaded for free paying only shipping and handling. And you think that is reasonable?

No one would accuse you of being a Hitler. However, if you want something of value you ought to be willing to pay for it.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:09 PM   #12
TiVo_Fanatic

Quote:
You want a barely used drive with tivo software loaded for free paying only shipping and handling. And you think that is reasonable?

No one would accuse you of being a Hitler. However, if you want something of value you ought to be willing to pay for it.
I never aid free but if you wana put words in my mouth go right ahead.

out & PM me for help.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:29 AM   #13
poppagene
User

Quote:
Except I dont have $40 - $50 to spend... was hoping to find one ... that someone would just give up for cost of S&H.
Really
Old 06-11-2012, 08:04 AM   #14
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

You don't need a drive enclosure to use WinMFS. I use a cheap USB to SATA/IDE cable and have burned multiple images for six different Tivo models. In fact, I just burned a 250 Tivo image to a spare 250GB drive I have and it only took about 5 minutes. I could sell you this drive but you would need to understand that it will run hotter than your original drive because it draws about 50% more current. It is a Western Digital Caviar SE (vintage 2006) that I pulled from my desktop PC when I upgraded to a larger drive about three years ago. Send me a PM if you are interested.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:45 PM   #15
TiVo_Fanatic

Quote:
Really
It might be hard for some people to believe but yes, some people do just give old drives away.

out & PM me for help.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:46 PM   #16
TiVo_Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
You don't need a drive enclosure to use WinMFS. I use a cheap USB to SATA/IDE cable and have burned multiple images for six different Tivo models. In fact, I just burned a 250 Tivo image to a spare 250GB drive I have and it only took about 5 minutes. I could sell you this drive but you would need to understand that it will run hotter than your original drive because it draws about 50% more current. It is a Western Digital Caviar SE (vintage 2006) that I pulled from my desktop PC when I upgraded to a larger drive about three years ago. Send me a PM if you are interested.
Thing is I don't have a computer to dump the drive in to if I did go that route... all I have is a laptop.

out & PM me for help.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:54 PM   #17
unitron

Quote:
It might be hard for some people to believe but yes, some people do just give old drives away.
Yeah, but for somebody with the budget for an Elite (who also got to transfer a $6.95 per month rate to it) to be all demandy about the conditions under which they'll accept a freebie...

Old 06-11-2012, 05:04 PM   #18
TiVo_Fanatic

Quote:
Yeah, but for somebody with the budget for an Elite (who also got to transfer a $6.95 per month rate to it) to be all demandy about the conditions under which they'll accept a freebie...
Lets for the sake of argument say I did find such a drive. You saying I should pay what I assume is $15 S&H for a drive that might not work because someone kept it in their basement next to a puddle of water ?

Also, there's nothing "demandy" to want to know how something was stored.

out & PM me for help.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:17 PM   #19
unitron

Quote:
Lets for the sake of argument say I did find such a drive. You saying I should pay what I assume is $15 S&H for a drive that might not work because someone kept it in their basement next to a puddle of water ?

Also, there's nothing "demandy" to want to know how something was stored.
You can wrap some bubble wrap around a drive and stick it in a $5.20 priority mail box from the post office.

Although the extra $10 is a nice gesture.

Let's start all over again.

Is your laptop running Windows XP or newer?

Are you certain the problem with the S3 is the drive itself and not something else, like say the famous for going bad because of faulty capacitors power supply?

As long as you get a drive at least 250GB big with the 648 image on it, would that be acceptable?

What's the total amount of money you can spare to keep Mom's TiVo going?

Old 06-11-2012, 05:40 PM   #20
TiVo_Fanatic

Quote:
Is your laptop running Windows XP or newer?
Win XP SP3

Quote:
Are you certain the problem with the S3 is the drive itself and not something else, like say the famous for going bad because of faulty capacitors power supply?
Yes because the current drive started to do the click of death as it's been called. Since the drvies trash anyway I even considered a platter transfer which while risky has a possibility of working if done slow and in a "clean room". I didn't wana bother trying that though til I get a similar drive to play with, FWIW, thats not what this post is about. This post is about getting a running drive going while I still sit o nthe thought of attempting said transfer.

Quote:
As long as you get a drive at least 250GB big with the 648 image on it, would that be acceptable?
Yes becaue that's all I'm after, since the S3 dubbed my moms system is just used as a transfer station for me to send stuff to for her to watch and then delete and maybe store the occaional movie for her.

Quote:
What's the total amount of money you can spare to keep Mom's TiVo going?
Thi will probbaly get thrown in my face by someone but I was hoping $25 plus whatever the cost of S&H is, which assuming $6 for that $31 which isnt a far stretch from that eBay auction if your ignore the $9 S&H he has posted which would put his total at $49.

Edit: FWIW, the Elite was bought when I had a job and money and seeing as how I havent worked in some time I need to budget EVERYTHING now.

People should never jump to conclusions about someone without knowing their story (if u can buy an elite why quibble over...). As for the $6.95 transfer, I just got a cool rep or somethin, I dunno.

out & PM me for help.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:24 PM   #21
unitron

Quote:
Win XP SP3

Yes because the current drive started to do the click of death as it's been called. Since the drvies trash anyway I even considered a platter transfer which while risky has a possibility of working if done slow and in a "clean room". I didn't wana bother trying that though til I get a similar drive to play with, FWIW, thats not what this post is about. This post is about getting a running drive going while I still sit o nthe thought of attempting said transfer.

Yes becaue that's all I'm after, since the S3 dubbed my moms system is just used as a transfer station for me to send stuff to for her to watch and then delete and maybe store the occaional movie for her.

Thi will probbaly get thrown in my face by someone but I was hoping $25 plus whatever the cost of S&H is, which assuming $6 for that $31 which isnt a far stretch from that eBay auction if your ignore the $9 S&H he has posted which would put his total at $49.

Edit: FWIW, the Elite was bought when I had a job and money and seeing as how I havent worked in some time I need to budget EVERYTHING now.

People should never jump to conclusions about someone without knowing their story (if u can buy an elite why quibble over...). As for the $6.95 transfer, I just got a cool rep or somethin, I dunno.
I'm working on something, when I know more I'll PM you.

Do you need to save any of the recordings currently on the S3 drive?

Old 06-11-2012, 07:53 PM   #22
TiVo_Fanatic

Quote:
Do you need to save any of the recordings currently on the S3 drive?
If I could I'd like to which is why I was comtemplating trying to do a platter swap with a "good" drive after I get one that I can use as a up and running drive while I figure out how to proceed with said platter swap which again I know is a hit or miss depending on precautions taken.

Edit: FWIW, anyone know how many platters are even in the stock drive on the 648 ? I would imagine one to two being a small drive (250gb). The current drive itself should still be good as I unplugged it immediately after hearing the clicking stuff... I did try to power it on one two two more times though but never let it run more than a minute.

out & PM me for help.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:19 PM   #23
unitron

Quote:
If I could I'd like to which is why I was comtemplating trying to do a platter swap with a "good" drive after I get one that I can use as a up and running drive while I figure out how to proceed with said platter swap which again I know is a hit or miss depending on precautions taken.

Edit: FWIW, anyone know how many platters are even in the stock drive on the 648 ? I would imagine one to two being a small drive (250gb). The current drive itself should still be good as I unplugged it immediately after hearing the clicking stuff... I did try to power it on one two two more times though but never let it run more than a minute.
You need to hook that drive to something other than the TiVo to see if it still "clicks", the sound could be coming from the fan or power supply.

Switch-mode power supplies don't ordinarily click, but when they're going bad or trying to feed an overload they might.

Take the drive out (or just unplug the combo data/power cable and see if the TiVo can load the welcome screen. It won't get any farther than that, 'cause everything else, including the just a few more minutes screen, is on the hard drive.

If it has separate power and data cables, even better. Disconnect both, start TiVo.

If you get the welcome screen, unplug it, plug in just the power cable to the drive, and plug the TiVo back in and see if you get the welcome screen again.
That's to see if the power supply can deliver all the current it's supposed to be able to.

Of course, when you take the cover off of the TiVo, you need to first inspect the power supply capacitors. If you see any bulges, that has to be dealt with before worrying about the drive.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:30 PM   #24
TiVo_Fanatic

Quote:
You need to hook that drive to something other than the TiVo to see if it still "clicks", the sound could be coming from the fan or power supply.

Switch-mode power supplies don't ordinarily click, but when they're going bad or trying to feed an overload they might.

Take the drive out (or just unplug the combo data/power cable and see if the TiVo can load the welcome screen. It won't get any farther than that, 'cause everything else, including the just a few more minutes screen, is on the hard drive.

If it has separate power and data cables, even better. Disconnect both, start TiVo.

If you get the welcome screen, unplug it, plug in just the power cable to the drive, and plug the TiVo back in and see if you get the welcome screen again.
That's to see if the power supply can deliver all the current it's supposed to be able to.

Of course, when you take the cover off of the TiVo, you need to first inspect the power supply capacitors. If you see any bulges, that has to be dealt with before worrying about the drive.
I'll get on that tomorrow given the time right now and Eureka bein on then Lost Girl but for what its worth now, I think it is the drive because it never seemed to get past the welcome screen when the clicking started.

Back to my edit in the last reply... does anyone know how many platters are even in the stock drive ?

out & PM me for help.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:15 PM   #25
L David Matheny

Quote:
If you end up trying a platter swap, please post back to let us know how it goes. You would need another drive exactly like the original one. There may even be electronic components on the drive's board that are calibrated to the heads. If you do manage to build something that can power up, become ready, and be read by a computer, you should probably have a third drive to copy everything onto. I would expect that any drive opened for repair, especially outside a clean room, will have a very short lifespan. But I sincerely wish you good luck, and I look forward to reading your report.
L David Matheny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:43 PM   #26
mattack

It's very easy to copy your existing drive to a new drive at least as big or bigger.. i.e. you can probably find a bigger drive off of eBay really cheap.. and even if you just "waste" the extra space, it's still easier than trying to swap platters!!!
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:49 PM   #27
TiVo_Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
If you end up trying a platter swap, please post back to let us know how it goes. You would need another drive exactly like the original one. There may even be electronic components on the drive's board that are calibrated to the heads. If you do manage to build something that can power up, become ready, and be read by a computer, you should probably have a third drive to copy everything onto. I would expect that any drive opened for repair, especially outside a clean room, will have a very short lifespan. But I sincerely wish you good luck, and I look forward to reading your report.
I would try and build a make shift clean room so it wouldnt be open say on a table in the kitchen if I do go that route which I am still debating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
It's very easy to copy your existing drive to a new drive at least as big or bigger.. i.e. you can probably find a bigger drive off of eBay really cheap.. and even if you just "waste" the extra space, it's still easier than trying to swap platters!!!
This assumes the drive would run which right now it doesnt appear to for if it did I could simply just transfer everything to the Elite from the S3 and then just get a new clean drive to put in the S3.

out & PM me for help.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:54 PM   #28
unitron

Quote:
I'll get on that tomorrow given the time right now and Eureka bein on then Lost Girl but for what its worth now, I think it is the drive because it never seemed to get past the welcome screen when the clicking started.

Back to my edit in the last reply... does anyone know how many platters are even in the stock drive ?
Let me strongly advise you to forgo the platter transplant surgery. Too many things can go wrong and leave you with two broken drives.

You have to be able to hold the heads away from the platters when removing them to keep from damaging either them or the platters or both, but you have to be able to do that without damaging the arms holding the heads or altering their "springiness" that needs to be just barely overcomeable by the air under the heads when the platters are spinning.

And you have to keep the platters *exactly* aligned with one another so that a spot currently on the bottom platter remains exactly directly beneath the spot on the platter above it that it now is exactly directly beneath.

There's a reason why data recovery companies charge lots of bucks for that sort of thing.

And I'm not sure how exactly you'd need to match the firmware versions, either.

It's possible that a marginal power supply would click when not able to run the motherboard *and* spin up the drive.

Assuming the problem is the drive, if you have a way to hook it and another drive to a computer, perhaps someone else's computer, you might be able to put the drive in the freezer overnight wrapped in paper towel and then use the

dd_rescue

command after booting the computer with a copy of the MFS Live cd v1.4 and "Xerox" the contents to the other drive.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:19 PM   #29
TiVo_Fanatic

Again assuming it's the drive... I've heard of the "frezer" method before but fail to see how it works / what it does exactly. Just off the top of my head, say it does work... whats to stop the "cloning" half way through as the thing thaws ?

As for yankin the power plug from the HDD and trying to power the TiVo... I'll give that a go tomorrow and see what happens. Who knows, maybe I'll get extremely lucky and it will be the power supply which from what I can tell is easily replace where as a capacitor requires desoldering (sp?) and what not.

Edit: Could the PCB on the bottom of the drive cause clicking if parts of it are going bad ? Oh, one other thing... I know this might be kind of hard to answer outside of linking a youtube video or something but what kind of clicking sound does the power supply make ? I ask because what I heard I would have to describe as mechanical which is why I feel it is the HDD which I sincerely hope it is not.

out & PM me for help.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:18 AM   #30
L David Matheny

Quote:
And you have to keep the platters *exactly* aligned with one another so that a spot currently on the bottom platter remains exactly directly beneath the spot on the platter above it that it now is exactly directly beneath.
I would guess that the platters and spindle are a subassembly that you could not disassemble. One type of misalignment that would be fatal is ending up with a platter no longer centered on the spindle. Not only would that cause vibration, but the heads can't follow a track that is off-center. You would surely have to transplant the entire spindle & platter subassembly into a new drive or transplant a new head assembly (and maybe chips with calibration data) into the old drive. Either way, I think the chances of success would be miniscule. But I've never tried it. He's only risking time and money, since the data is probably lost anyway without desperate measures.
L David Matheny is online now   Reply With Quote