Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-07-2012, 11:10 PM   #1
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Castle - Always - 5/7/12

It's about freakin' time!

Every time I'm drying off from a shower I think of my childhood buddy's father. - mcthumber
scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:17 PM   #2
jbx
WW Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy
+1

I loved it!! Bring on season 5. I can't wait - going to be a long 4 months.

Quote:
my grudge on julie merely masks my jealous awe at being played so thoroughly. i <3 julie.
Wii Friend Code 0032-9637-8695-2468
jbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:25 PM   #3
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Good episode.

One minor quibble: I *hate* in media res stories. It is such an overused trope. I wish writers would either come up with some unique way to use it, or just forget about it.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:40 AM   #4
Alfer
WOOSAH!

Agreed. Good episode.

However I'm not a fan of the hanging from a building and last second save scenarios they like to do on these kind of shows. In my mind she would have been dead the second she was flung off that building.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:53 AM   #5
Amnesia
The Question

In some of the hanging shots, there appeared to be a fire escape about 6 feet to Beckett's right (and 10 feet down). I don't see why she didn't try to move so that she was above the fire escape and then just let go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
[in media res] is such an overused trope.
I don't know---I think telling things in chronological order is used even more---shouldn't you be complaining about that?
Amnesia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:43 AM   #6
pendragn

Quote:
Good episode.

One minor quibble: I *hate* in media res stories. It is such an overused trope. I wish writers would either come up with some unique way to use it, or just forget about it.
Amen, brother! Hate it.

tk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pendragn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:12 AM   #7
john4200

Quote:
I groaned when that episode started, even before the "3 days earlier" appeared on the screen...I knew it was coming. Bad writers, bad!
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:27 AM   #8
Flop

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post
+1
Flop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:31 PM   #9
zalusky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion View Post
I hate when they start a story in the middle and go back to the beginning during the telling. Hate that.
Yea but it causes a lot of people to pay attention to figure out as they watch it how they got from here to there. I don't have a problem with it.

Why is it such a problem? In most cases they are still manipulating the audience where its linear or flashback.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:21 PM   #10
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post
Why is it such a problem?
It feels like they forced me to watch the end of the story before the beginning. For the same reason I don't read the last page of a novel first, or fast-forward to the end of the program to watch the last minute before I have watched the rest of it.

I would not be watching the show if I did not enjoy it on some level. There is no need to treat me like a child with a short attention span that needs to be hooked to watch the entire thing. They should just develop the story naturally, with a beginning, middle, and end.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:30 PM   #11
Amnesia
The Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
For the same reason I don't read the last page of a novel first. (....)
There are plenty of books that employ the same technique. It's a perfectly valid way of telling a story.
Quote:
There is no need to treat me like a child with a short attention span (....)
I think you have it backwards---if they were treating you as a child, they'd stick with a purely linear timeline. Since the majority of stories are told that way it takes more attention to follow a story if it's presented in a non-linear manner.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:43 PM   #12
DouglasPHill

I'm with john4200 on this.
DouglasPHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:57 PM   #13
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia View Post
There are plenty of books that employ the same technique. It's a perfectly valid way of telling a story.
I think you have it backwards---if they were treating you as a child, they'd stick with a purely linear timeline. Since the majority of stories are told that way it takes more attention to follow a story if it's presented in a non-linear manner.
Showing a short clip of the ending at the beginning is a terrible way to tell a story.

And I certainly don't have it backwards. If the timeline is shuffled for a good reason, and done in an artful way, then your statement would be correct. A good example of such a technique done right would be Iain M. Banks's novel "Use of Weapons". Banks has a specific reason for non-linear story telling, and he does an artful job of weaving things together and revealing backstory at just the right place throughout the story.

But in this episode of Castle, and in most TV programs that do the "XX hours earlier" thing at the beginning, neither of those conditions are met. There is no good reason -- for the story development -- for putting the end at the beginning. And it is done in a clumsy, not artful way, just sticking the end at the beginning and putting in some text "XX hours earlier". That is terrible, lazy storytelling, and I hate it.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:02 PM   #14
Amnesia
The Question

Quote:
There is no good reason -- for the story development -- for putting the end at the beginning.(...)That is terrible, lazy storytelling, and I hate it.
I just don't see why that's any more terrible or lazy than putting the beginning at the beginning. Both seem equally valid to me.
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree....

...though it is 100% clear to me that changing the order of events is not making it "simpler" or "treating you like a child". It's making it harder to follow and therefore expressly not treating you as a child.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:28 PM   #15
zalusky

Quote:
It feels like they forced me to watch the end of the story before the beginning. For the same reason I don't read the last page of a novel first, or fast-forward to the end of the program to watch the last minute before I have watched the rest of it.

I would not be watching the show if I did not enjoy it on some level. There is no need to treat me like a child with a short attention span that needs to be hooked to watch the entire thing. They should just develop the story naturally, with a beginning, middle, and end.
It is natural! How often have you been told something like your uncle died and then you start asking all the details that led up to it.

My mother in law passed away a number of years ago and we learned during the process that my father in law was seeing somebody so we started doing research to fill in the blanks to the rest of the story.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:29 PM   #16
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia View Post
...though it is 100% clear to me that changing the order of events is not making it "simpler" or "treating you like a child". It's making it harder to follow and therefore expressly not treating you as a child.
It is NOT harder to follow the way they did it this episode, all they did was put a minute of the end at the beginning. It takes about 1 brain cell to follow that.

More importantly, it is very unlikely that the motive of the person responsible for doing it this way was to make it harder to follow. Rather, it is very likely they did it for the reason zalusky already stated. Which is a nice way of saying treating the viewer like a child.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:32 PM   #17
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post
It is natural! How often have you been told something like your uncle died and then you start asking all the details that led up to it.
That may be a natural thing to do when researching something, but I was talking about a story, not a research project. When I watch a story, I don't want to see the end first. If I did, I would just fast forward to the end and watch it first. Which I never do. Do you?
Old 05-08-2012, 03:00 PM   #18
zalusky

Quote:
That may be a natural thing to do when researching something, but I was talking about a story, not a research project. When I watch a story, I don't want to see the end first. If I did, I would just fast forward to the end and watch it first. Which I never do. Do you?
I am not talking about a research project. How many times has somebody walked up to you and told you something and essentially told you the result and then you start asking questions to fill in the rest of the story.

Gossip is a great example: Did you hear Mary is getting a divorce! What happened? Her husband was cheating! With who? etc. etc.

We are often told stories out of order. Another classic example is when the story is told from multiple viewpoints and you have to piece them together to get the picture.

I remember a Redford movie where two stories were told simultaneously but in the real time line one of the stories occurred completely after the other one.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:15 PM   #19
busyba
The Funcooker

The larger point that many are missing in their zeal to split hairs is that while in media res can be a powerful storytelling device when done well, when it's done poorly (which is basically most of the time that it's been used in the last several years) it is ineffective and detracts from the story.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

Last edited by busyba : 05-08-2012 at 05:22 PM.
busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:17 PM   #20
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Yeah...too often, it isn't "How can we best serve this story?" but "Well, I can't think of a way to make the opening interesting, so why don"t I just start with a scene from the climax?"
Old 05-08-2012, 06:11 PM   #21
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?

This show is pretty much guaranteed to be renewed right?
Old 05-08-2012, 06:36 PM   #22
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakzie View Post
It would be rather shocking if it weren't. Frankly, I'm a bit surprised that it hasn't gotten the early renewal.

Admittedly, the show tends to wane a bit in the ratings when it isn't coupled with "Dancing." Regardless, it still gets solid ratings, usually a close second for the slot to "Hawaii Five 0," and it beat "Hawaii" last night.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:00 PM   #23
JimSpence
Just hangin'

So, how is Becket going to ge back on the force?
Old 05-08-2012, 07:08 PM   #24
SNJpage1

Maybe Becket and Castle will start a PI firm.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:30 PM   #25
phox_mulder
I get paid 2watch TV

Quote:
Showing a short clip of the ending at the beginning is a terrible way to tell a story.
IMHO, the only TV show that this worked on was Flashpoint.

They showed "The Flashpoint", then what led up to that event.

It was the name of the show, so it worked.

Writers saw this and thought, "We should do this too", not bothering to see why Flashpoint did it.

phox

TiVo S3-65 HD Hours-Lifetime
TiVo HD 20 HD Hours
DirecTV HR21-700 80+ HD Hours
DirecTV HR20-100 80+ HD Hours
Harmony 880 Remote Control
phox_mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:31 PM   #26
Amnesia
The Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakzie View Post
Today, TV By the Numbers posted their odds of renewal for different shows. Both of the oddsmakers gaves Castle a 100% chance for renewal...
Old 05-09-2012, 12:12 AM   #27
Archangel00

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSpence View Post
So, how is Becket going to ge back on the force?
Hopefully she doesn't. At least not the same "force" she resigned from. Things have FINALLY moved forward for Castle/Beckett. Time for the entire show to follow suit now too. Something NOT homicide and something NOT NYPD hopefully.(hopefully not involving Animal Mother too)
Archangel00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:29 AM   #28
Peter000

Quote:
Except it wasn't the ending of the story. For one thing the person you THOUGHT would save her from dropping off the roof, didn't. And it may have been the end of that particular case, but it wasn't the ending of the character's story for the episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Yeah...too often, it isn't "How can we best serve this story?" but "Well, I can't think of a way to make the opening interesting, so why don"t I just start with a scene from the climax?"
Obviously this wasn't the climax of the episode. That (or hopefully those) came after the episode ended.

As noted, it can be done well or not. I thought this one wasn't the best use of it I've ever seen, but not the worst either.

The short lived show "The Good Guys" used that storytelling method pretty well. Every episode. John4200 would have hated it.
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:03 AM   #29
eddyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
It amounts to laziness, most of the time. Instead of having to make the beginning interesting, they just throw in some critical scene from later, to get more interest at the beginning. Most of the time, all they get is annoyance at the beginning.
eddyj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:23 AM   #30
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter000 View Post
The short lived show "The Good Guys" used that storytelling method pretty well. Every episode.
Yes! That's a great example of the device being implemented well. I'm pretty sure that's the only good post-The West Wing example of it.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote