TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-27-2006, 09:01 PM   #1
terpfan1980
It's Just TV

TC CLUB MEMBER
Deadwood: "Tell Him Something Pretty" OAD: week of 8/27/06 *spoilers*

I am sooooooo gonna miss this show.

Two movies to go, but the waiting is really gonna suck (and I don't mean like one of Al or Sy's whores!).
Xbox Live gamertag/PSN id: terpfan1980
terpfan1980 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 09:10 PM   #2
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

The way it all just kind of petered out was a bit of a let-down to me. Knowing that historically Hearst won, there's not much they could have done. But it was an awful lot of dramatic build-up for no dramatic pay-off whatsoever...
Old 08-27-2006, 09:31 PM   #3
marksman
ID-10-T

Biggest case of blue balls in television history after watching that...

The whole season of build-up and nothing...
Old 08-27-2006, 09:37 PM   #4
terpfan1980
It's Just TV

TC CLUB MEMBER
I know a bit of the history of it all, but there is definitely a lot more that could be explored in the movies (which I'm very much looking forward to later).

As is, with the passing of Deadwood, Entourage, and the soon to be over Lucky Louie (which I continue to watch since nothing else is currently on) I'm planning on calling up DirecTV shortly to cancel the HBO package. Between cancelling that and Starz! (which I was carrying for a few months to get the free Best Buy gift card) I'll save a few bucks for a while.

If I was into The Wire I might still find value in HBO, but without Deadwood and Entourage and nothing as good coming for a while, it's just not worth the $$.

I might have felt different if HBO had been able to convince Milch to keep going on Deadwood, or if I knew they'd have more than just one more season of Rome coming too. It just seems that with Deadwood ending, the quality is taking a breather. I guess it works out well since there's a lot of network programs I want to check out anyway, as well as NFL season and such.

Anyway, there was a let down tonite, though seeing Al save Trixie was pretty good. As Dan told Johnny, Al was doing no more and no less than Johnny was wanting to do. Al felt he owed Trixie for standing by him during his illness, and for that Al helped save her.

The remaining question in my mind is what happens with Wu and also with the elections. The results wouldn't seem to stand, but I guess that is what we'll find out in the movies.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:57 PM   #5
audioscience
Droppin' Science *

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksman
Biggest case of blue balls in television history after watching that...

The whole season of build-up and nothing...
Well put.

The best part of the show was the last exchange between Al and Johnny. (Paraphrasing from memory)

Johnny: "Were you gentle with her?"

Al: "I was as gentle as I was able."

(Johnny walks away)

Al: (Scrubing the floor) "He wants me to tell him something pretty."

It was a nice metaphor for the passing of the camp over to Hearst's interests.
audioscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 09:57 PM   #6
Sknzfan

Very Disappointing....

Totally ANTI-Climatic...

NOOOOOOOOOOOO was was AL gonna Give TRIXIE to HEARST....

I may have to go the CANCEL HBO route too...after DEADWOOD , ENTOURAGE and about an 18 Month wait on SOPRANO'S ...I could save some $$ too...
Sknzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 10:14 PM   #7
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Well, with The Wire, Rome, more Entourage, more Sopranos, they've still got me through next spring.

And this was an amazing season of Deadwood, for all that it went out with a whimper rather than a bang.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:44 PM   #8
terpfan1980
It's Just TV

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sknzfan
Very Disappointing....

Totally ANTI-Climatic...

NOOOOOOOOOOOO was was AL gonna Give TRIXIE to HEARST....

I may have to go the CANCEL HBO route too...after DEADWOOD , ENTOURAGE and about an 18 Month wait on SOPRANO'S ...I could save some $$ too...

If you are a DirecTV customer see my post in the DirecTV related forum here. You may be able to get a nice deal on keeping HBO if you are interested in keeping it but at a discount. (Sorry customers of Dish or cable co.'s, no idea on offers there).

Anyway, I'm in the same general boat, the programming on HBO is going to be awfully thin over the next few months, but at this point (thanks to DirecTV offered discount on same) I'm probably paying about what it will be worth to me over the next 3 months.

Back on subject with the thread here, it was anti-climatic, but was about what you had to expect. While I wouldn't have been shocked to see Trixie handed to Hearst, or see her found by Hearst's representatives and dealt with, you had to figure Al, Star or Bullock would protect her.

The rest of the storylines are still hanging out there for the eventual movies, and heck, if not for the fact that the show was pre-determined to end after those movies there could have been more open ends out there too.

I didn't expect things would all be wrapped up neat and tidy, and didn't expect to see a big fight either. Without speaking too much of the historical accuracy in the show, it seems that the storylines won't go where viewers would hope, but instead are trying to stay a bit more true to the history. Just because we all wanted to see Sy shoot Hearst, (or for that matter see anyone shoot and kill him) doesn't mean we were going to get that result.

The same for any fight between Wu's men and the Pinkertons, or anyone else. We may want to see it, but there's probably little chance of it really happening. If it did, then the show would really be setting up it's end anyway, no?
Old 08-27-2006, 11:43 PM   #9
drew2k
Drew != Drawn

I have to join the chorus and say I was also a little disappointed in the anti-climactic season ender.

That being said, with this episode being described using "biggest case of blue balls", I think it only appropriate to point out that it looks like a bunch of people finally realized they had balls to begin with. Johnny stood up to Al, Utter really ripped into Hearst, and Starr tossed Trixie out. I think that move more than anything else probably made Trixie finally realize she needs and loves Sol.

Random thoughts:

Poor Leon - he died "happy".

But poorer still is "Stupid" Janine, who still has to put up with Cy's BS,

Anyone want to guess that the body Utter is holding for Hearst is Aunt Loo's son?
drew2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 12:40 AM   #10
spciesla

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew2k
...Anyone want to guess that the body Utter is holding for Hearst is Aunt Loo's son?
That's my guess.

What are they going to cover in the two hour episodes?

Was Alma and Sophie leaving? I thought she sold to Hearst so that they could stay in Deadwood.

On a programming note, how long before we see the two hour episodes?
spciesla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 02:49 AM   #11
spikedavis

how dissapointing. Reminds me of this season's piss-poor Sopranos finale.

I implore everyone to watch The Wire this year-please, please, please. It is criminally underwatched.
spikedavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 06:24 AM   #12
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

yep...a dud ending for sure...

Janine was nice

Why is Cy so pissed? he gets to be the big dog in town since Hearst left him in charge...

people scoffed at my idea that Al would arm the Chinese...who's laughing now?
Anubys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 07:08 AM   #13
Legion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys
Why is Cy so pissed? he gets to be the big dog in town since Hearst left him in charge...
In name only. Hearst left that particular Pinkerton, the one Cy was "cracking wise" to, to make sure he does as he is told. Cy knows he is a kept man now.

Good show fo Charlie U as well. He got to demonstrate some character. Maybe that why Wild Bill liked him. As Jane alluded to, when something gets tough, Charlie always backed his friends and what was right.
Legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 07:16 AM   #14
ElVee
I have an old sumo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdowell
The rest of the storylines are still hanging out there for the eventual movies, and heck, if not for the fact that the show was pre-determined to end after those movies there could have been more open ends out there too.

I didn't expect things would all be wrapped up neat and tidy, and didn't expect to see a big fight either. Without speaking too much of the historical accuracy in the show, it seems that the storylines won't go where viewers would hope, but instead are trying to stay a bit more true to the history. Just because we all wanted to see Sy shoot Hearst, (or for that matter see anyone shoot and kill him) doesn't mean we were going to get that result.

The same for any fight between Wu's men and the Pinkertons, or anyone else. We may want to see it, but there's probably little chance of it really happening. If it did, then the show would really be setting up it's end anyway, no?
All episodes, inluding the finale, were filmed before HBO announced it was the last season. Milch filmed the last episode as a 'season finale', not a 'series finale'. Hopefully, the two two-hour movies should wrap things up nicely.

- DirecTv HR20-700 - Panasonic TH-42PHD7UY
- DirecTv HR20-700 - Panasonic TH-50PX600U
- DirecTv HR10-250 HD TiVo
- Sony SV2000 & SV3000
ElVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 07:25 AM   #15
Legion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElVee
All episodes, inluding the finale, were filmed before HBO announced it was the last season. Milch filmed the last episode as a 'season finale', not a 'series finale'. Hopefully, the two two-hour movies should wrap things up nicely.
That make sense if HBO cancelled the show on Milch. But I thought it was Milch who cancelled on HBO?
Legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 08:36 AM   #16
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Looking back, I guess I was kind of let down by the overall story arc of this season. Watching reruns of The Wire the past few weeks, I came to realize that Deadwood just isn't at the same level. Unless you're talking about acting.

Thinking about the characters, it kind of disturbs me the way they focus so much energy on showing us how borderline or flat out full psychopaths deal with anger. OK, Cy externalizes his anger. I get it, can we move on now? I guess not.

I do like all the fire fighting stuff though.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 08:55 AM   #17
thedudeabides

Comparing this season finale to the prvious two, I agree that there was no dramatic "resolution" to the season-long story arc. Last season, with Hearst arriving in camp, Wolcott killing himself, and the Ellsworth wedding, was a great way to wrap everything up.

That being said, I was not as disappointed as others have expressed in this thread for a number of reasons. First, knowing that Hearst would never be killed all season long (I can't help looking at some of the history), there weren't a whole lot of options for what to do. Basically, he had to leave. However, in order to placate him, and thus save the camp, the camp "elders" had to do something deplorable - they basically sacrificed one of their own, an innocent, to soothe the beast. An interesting choice, and one that no one (even Al) was really happy with, but they understood it had to be done.

I think the main thing to take away from this season was that they survived. They didn't beat Hearst, but they did survive his wrath, and that was no small feat.

Meanwhile, no one has mentioned this, but what about the biggest cliffhanger of all - the elections??? Just because Sturgis was overwhelming against Bullock doesn't mean he lost (remember, the election was county-wide). Any thoughts on this?
thedudeabides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 09:11 AM   #18
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

well, it's clear that the only opposition to Seth is the guy who wants to be a fireman...so my guess is he will not serve since he now has his firetruck!

as for Hearst, there were a lot of ways to give us some resolution with Hearst not ending up dead and still ending up getting Alma's mine...
Anubys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 10:12 AM   #19
Bananfish
Preowned Member

My favorite touch from this episode was Hearst telling Merrick that he was going to start up his own newspaper to "tell lies from the other side." I wonder how that worked out for him?
DVD: PS3 & DMP-BDT220 (LR)/A3 HD-DVD (BR)
AVR: Pio Elite 1120/Onkyo HT-S650
Spkrs: KEF T Series
Remote: Harmony 550
Bananfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 10:19 AM   #20
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

I didn't even think of the hearst newspaper connection at the time. Whoops!

Where were alma and sophia going on the cart?
Old 08-28-2006, 10:42 AM   #21
thedudeabides

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder
I didn't even think of the hearst newspaper connection at the time. Whoops!

Where were alma and sophia going on the cart?
Probably coming back from visiting Ellsworth's grave, if I had to guess.
thedudeabides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 11:32 AM   #22
pmyers

I don't think Cy was really going to shoot Hearst. I think Cy saw how tense the situation was and was going to shoot the girl which would have probably set off a chain reaction of everybody shooting everybody.

Look at his gun and look at the distance.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 11:52 AM   #23
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Which girl? You mean Janine-ine-ine? He did aim over in hearst's general direction for a short while.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:40 PM   #24
terpfan1980
It's Just TV

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder
Which girl? You mean Janine-ine-ine? He did aim over in hearst's general direction for a short while.
He (Cy) was clearly aiming towards Hearst, and looked like he was going to kill him if given the chance.

With that said, he was pointing a pea shooter (Derringer type weapon) that likely wouldn't have done much good, if any, from where he was standing.

He later aimed it at the girl which scared her into her reaction and pleading to let her live. At that point he was upset enough at being Hearst's lapdog that he was going to take his anger out on just about anyone he could....
Old 08-28-2006, 02:06 PM   #25
JohnB1000

Very disappointing, despite the movies - which we have yet to see - it was such a disappointing end to one of the best shows I've ever seen. I don't understand why Al was so willing to hand over a girl to Hearst, why not stand up to him ? that part made no sense at all. I agree it almost had nowhere it could go given history so perhaps setting Hearst up in this way (as a main character) was a big mistake.

I'm struggling to remember what stories are left hanging ?

There are lots of odd aspects to the show - why was the theater there, why was Doc Cochran sick, etc etc. They all add ambience but they had nothing to do with any major story. If you analyze the shows there's a lot of meaningless plotlines.
JohnB1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 02:35 PM   #26
pmyers

Well it seemed like the information that Langrishe got from Hearst proved to be invaluable to the camp. Had they not known his plan was to move out of Deadwood as long as the viewing went satisfactory, I'm sure things would have went down differently.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 02:36 PM   #27
Charlutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB1000
I don't understand why Al was so willing to hand over a girl to Hearst, why not stand up to him ? that part made no sense at all.
Hearst had them significantly outgunned. If they hadn't killed Jen, Hearst would have unleashed the Pinkertons on the camp and Al, Bullock, Dan would all assuredly have been specifically targeted.
Charlutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 02:47 PM   #28
JohnB1000

understood, but his actions are somewhat inconsistent with his previous actions and his thoughts etc.
JohnB1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 07:46 PM   #29
Bananfish
Preowned Member

So what is the N----- General still doing in town? I thought he left for the Left Coast a few episodes back.
DVD: PS3 & DMP-BDT220 (LR)/A3 HD-DVD (BR)
AVR: Pio Elite 1120/Onkyo HT-S650
Spkrs: KEF T Series
Remote: Harmony 550
Bananfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 09:27 PM   #30
rimler

This show has set the bar much to high to end a season on a note like that, especially after all the build up. They did a masterful job of building tension, building, building, building, building,......then fpppppth. The Elsworth murder was more of a climax to the story arc than anything we saw this week.

At least they didn't let Al find a way to save Jen...faking a death, or talking his way out of it with Hearst. Al is a cold-hearted SOB, and I'm glad they made it clear he's still all that, despite being buddy-buddy with everyone lately.
rimler is offline   Reply With Quote