TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-22-2007, 08:33 AM   #1
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Next Great American Band - Finale - 12/21/2007 - ***Spoilers***

I'm glad I wasn't tempted to look at the spoiler section before watching the show (well, I was tempted, but I resisted!).

The results went almost exactly as I wanted them to, but am I the only one who thought the sound was not well mixed? The Christmas medley was a complete mess - although I realize they probably didn't have a whole lot of time to plan and rehearse. the set really showed up LOD's need for a lead singer and also Denver's ability to put on a live show.

However, Sheila E and the Goo Goo Dolls were performing regular tour numbers and neither blew me away.

As for the results, I think America got it right. In fact, if you were to go back through the posts for the whole season, I think it's what I predicted along with others. I think the Clark Brothers have a heck of a lot of recording potential and I, for one, will be on the lookout for their debut album.

Final point. Not sure whether it was a last attempt to get TV coverage or genuine excitement for the winners, but I noticed that the first to congratulate the winners after (and even during) their final song were the kids! If it was the latter, kudos.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:52 AM   #2
jlb
NCC-1701-D

The Clark Bros. deserved to win, but the only group I am likely to buy a CD from is Sixwire.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:42 AM   #3
buckeye1010
Very Special Member

The Clark Brothers had the most heart and soul and gave it 110% every time. They were my favorites. But Sixwire certainly have major potential. By the time those kids grow up, they are going to be something! I think the show will mature them greatly. Denver was just a bit too boring for my tastes, but they did improve over the course of the show.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:57 AM   #4
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

I thought the medley was absolutely dreadful. But, that said, the parts with Denver were actually not half bad. That band has clear talent, and I think even those who don't like Denver would agree, based on the medley. I do think that the results were right on... they were definitely NOT "the next great American band."

Clark Brothers have sounded good, but tonight they sounded... mediocre at best. The lead Clark was doing all sorts of weird runs and trills and such on their first song, and it just did not sound good. Sixwire sounded fantastic on their performance(s) tonight, and I think that 19E should get behind them and release their album as well.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 09:57 AM   #5
montag

This show, that had great potential at first, turned into a huge mess. Shelia E's band? WTF???? I'm surprised Dicko didn't play a song.

That Christmas medley was just plain awful.

The Clark Brothers far and away deserved the win but this will be the last we hear of them.

The only good band to play last night was The Likes of You. They blew away anyone of the top ten.
montag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 09:58 AM   #6
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye1010 View Post
\But Sixwire certainly have major potential. By the time those kids grow up, they are going to be something!
You mean Light of Doom? LoD was the kids, Sixwire was the veteran Modern Country act.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 10:14 AM   #7
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

Maybe I was more impaired than I thought, but I thoroughly enjoyed the whole finale from start to finish. It looked as if everyone had a great time partyin' down with their new friends and I think all music related reality competition shows should end like this- with a giant group hug and fake snow.

As to the quality of the mix and other various nitpicks- I seriously didn't notice any of it.
Now I'll probably watch it again tonight and wonder "what was I thinking?"

I think the Clark Brothers could do well, but it would require very careful handling from management and a talented yet restrained production person. Ashley would definitely benefit from some voice training, but not so much that it interferes with his earnest/angst vibe. I want them polished up a tad but don't want them to lose their sincerity. Song choice will be IMO particularly key here as again they are a very gospel/bluegrass concentric band yet need a small injection of mass appeal.
It'll be a tightrope walk to get it right, and I'm not impressed with 19E so far.

I do wish them all the best and was very surprised at the quality of bands this show dug up. Beats anything else early Friday nights have had to offer.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:34 PM   #8
The Flush
Anonymous User

I would not have been surprised with either Clark or Sixwire, but I like Clark better. I hope they get the right producer to help them with the first release. I hated the fact that there was anyone other than the finalists performing on this show. But, hearing Likes of You again reminded me that should have made it further than LOD or DMHO. Same for Tres Bien. The concept of this show is a good one, but I don't like the implementation of the idea. Too many covers and not enough originals for me to truly judge the bands. I've heard that Idol will let contestants play instruments on the upcoming season. That might make that otherwise dreadful show better.
The Flush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 12:59 PM   #9
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
I had a feeling this was going to happen... Oh well. If this runs anything like American Idol both bands will get contracts and the fact that Sixwire came in second will only spur their record sales. Bravo for both bands.
Old 12-22-2007, 03:22 PM   #10
justapixel
Domestic Extremist

I think the show went exactly as I would have liked - up until last night. I really think Sixwire should have won. I've already bought their first CD and love it - can't wait to hear their second. I'm sure some record company will pick them up now but I hope it doesn't take too long. I loved their song choice - "This might be the Last time." They seem like a great band that doesn't take themselves too seriously - I like that.

Unlike the Clark Brothers, who seem to take EVERYTHING too seriously. I recognize their talent and agree that they play with heart and soul. However, I doubt I'd ever buy one of their CDs. You never know, but it's not my style of music, I guess. I'm a bit embarrassed or nervous or something by the lead singers over-abundance of emotion in each and every song. I fear he'll burn himself out and sometimes there is a time for light-heartedness.

The Likes of You did play last night, before Light of Doom. Unlike Montag, I was not impressed. I think the lead singer has talent, but there is something off about them...can't put my finger on it. Maybe it was the song choice.

Anyway, I am sad Sixwire didn't win. I wish I could be confident that they will have a new CD out and quickly. I agree that Idol winners and 2nd, 3rd place people do quite well, and we can hope for that.

Thank you to my TCF friends for your help in winning the contest and your support of my son's education. You are all amazing people, and I adore you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
justapixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 01:56 PM   #11
JohnB1000

I was caught off guard by Friday night being the "winners" night. Once I thought about it, it was obvious but I had thought they would be narrowing it down to 2 this week and having the finale next week I guess I wasn't paying attention. All this led to a rather flat feeling for me with a lot of FF.

Clarks were fine, if someone had to win then they were the best choice. Sixwire are just too slick for me. The L.O.D. guys were terrible in this show
JohnB1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 09:58 AM   #12
Jebberwocky!

Clark Bros winning - not a surprise. Won't be rushing out and buying their next work but then I won't be buying anyone elses either

I seem to be in the minority but I rather liked the christmas song/mix part of it. Polished or not it was a welcome change for Penny and I.
Jebberwocky! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 03:47 PM   #13
bullitt

I thought Six Wire blew everyone away consistently and The Clark Bros were a pretty good "Coffee House" act, I can't see them playing a large venue. I think Sheila E came across as disingenuous most of the time with her weepy act and the guy from the Goo Goo Dolls lost me when he prounounced the asian girl guitar player (all girl group????) "My guitar god" in early episodes. Diko at least was consistent in his ongoing commentary. I thought the finale was filler crap and they need new judges to go forward in 2008.

BTW, If Mile High had a lead singer with balls they would have won, they were very tight musically but need to have more diverse material to showcase their talents.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:40 PM   #14
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

I very much doubt there will BE a next series. It's not like it set the ratings on fire or anything. They were touting the fact that they had 14.5 million votes - for the WHOLE SEASON, which is less than one episode of voting for AI and they don't even have Ford or Coca Cola picking up some of the tab, so I would go out on a limb and say we're seen the last of the Next Great American Band.

Unless, of course, the Clark Brothers make so much money for 19 that the cost of the show is unimportant.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:39 PM   #15
Tiggs

'Next Great American Band' Update - Sixwire

For those who watched the show and enjoyed Sixwire, I thought you might like an update. Following 'NGAB', Sixwire served as house band for 'Can You Duet' and 'CMT's Next Superstar'. The band now has a new album project in the works. You can see a video about it at Sixwire's website and hear some of their new music. Check them out and, if you like what you hear, lend your support and help spread the word!
Tiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:45 PM   #16
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Well how about that. I was wondering if the show had helped their career. For once the SPAM is welcome. Glad to hear they are doing well.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:02 PM   #17
Waldorf
Super Duper Member

I also see the Clark Brothers (Sons of Sylvia) all over the place. Usually backing up Carrie Underwood or One Republic... I think I saw Ashley playing for that country girl on The Voice a couple of weeks back.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:09 PM   #18
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

They played for Skylar on Idol a few weeks back.
They are cousins of Ryan Tedder
Old 05-07-2012, 04:51 PM   #19
Tiggs

Eeeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
Well how about that. I was wondering if the show had helped their career. For once the SPAM is welcome. Glad to hear they are doing well.
I guess I'm not clear on what SPAM is...I thought it was links to buy things like prescription drugs posted in the middle of a non-related thread. I certainly didn't mean to SPAM anyone, and didn't think I was doing so.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:53 PM   #20
Tiggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldorf View Post
I also see the Clark Brothers (Sons of Sylvia) all over the place. Usually backing up Carrie Underwood or One Republic... I think I saw Ashley playing for that country girl on The Voice a couple of weeks back.
I just learned that the Clark Brothers had changed their name. I liked them too on the show, though Sixwire far more, and I looked several times to see if they'd put an album out. Never found one. Will have to look up Sons of Sylvia and see how they sound.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:34 PM   #21
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Tiggs,

You're fine.

Some people (probably me included) are suspicious of new people doing something out of the ordinary.

We get a lot of spam in the forums and for a first post in a five-year-old thread, it just looked a little spammy. Nothing to worry about - and welcome to the forum.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:45 PM   #22
JohnB1000

SPAM means SpecialPostsAboutMusic
Old 05-08-2012, 10:49 AM   #23
Tiggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB1000 View Post
SPAM means SpecialPostsAboutMusic
Hehehe...well, then. Guess I'm guilty.

I suppose it is strange to post in such an old thread but this is where the people who like Sixwire were and I thought maybe they were still around.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:26 PM   #24
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

Nah, you did it correctly.
If you had started a new thread the first reply would have been a weisenheimer link to this one
Old 05-08-2012, 01:28 PM   #25
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggs View Post
Hehehe...well, then. Guess I'm guilty.

I suppose it is strange to post in such an old thread but this is where the people who like Sixwire were and I thought maybe they were still around.
No Problemo. You are in the right place. Thanks for the update. I love Sixwire, as you can see from the thread. Glad to hear they are doing well.