TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-04-2012, 11:03 PM   #1
omnibus
cowboy, yee-ha

Shark tank 5/4/12 custom bicycles?

Anybody else think the sharks got suckered on this one?

Those "custom" bikes looked to me like spray painted junk yard bikes with minimum customization, maybe chromed handlebars and home made seat covers. Take a bunch of rusty old bikes and paint each a single color then just swap the parts.

$600 my foot. Maybe if they were BMX style bikes. I could be wrong but I think I'm right.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:49 AM   #2
TheMerk
Always Bid First

Not a scam. Custom cruisers are all the rage some places, and people are willing to pay big money for a bike that's completely original.

They don't look like recycled junk yard bikes to me: http://www.villycustoms.com/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/

TheMerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:31 AM   #3
GoHalos

I didn't pick up at all that these were used bike parts. Was something said on the show that I missed? I thought that these were custom new bikes, which I don't think are that overpriced for a custom bike.

Last edited by GoHalos : 05-05-2012 at 01:07 PM.
GoHalos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:18 AM   #4
tiams

I was very interested in the product from the guy who invented rollerblades. I don't think he has figured out the right application for it yet.

I like that the illusion boots came to the woman in a dream!
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:19 AM   #5
tiams

Oh yeah, and the air mattress for your truck - just buy a regular air mattress!
Old 05-05-2012, 11:18 AM   #6
wendiness1
WiiMomma

While I wouldn't pay that much for a bike, I think they're cool-looking and I'm sure there are plenty of folks who'll buy them.

As for the truck mattress . . . why? Who wants to climb into the back of their truck to sleep? If I'm doing anything remotely like that, there'll be a tent involved. At the very least, I'd put a mattress on the ground so I could access it easily not have to climb into the back of the truck and sleep out under the stars. I think this has an extremely limited market. And I'm pretty sure there are already air mattresses that have built in devices to blow them up.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:56 PM   #7
ElJay

I'm really amazed how much money people put into colossally bad ideas like AirBedz...

I dunno why the Sharks were having such a hard time with ideas coming in a dream. Flying to Turkey on a whim (for business) seemed a bit weird, but at least it spared us from the Sharks whining about something costing too much because it was made in the USA.
ElJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:51 PM   #8
inaka

When I had a truck in high school, I had a foam mattress I could put in the back, and with a camper shell, it was a nice place to sleep or "hang out"

If I still had a truck I'd buy one.
inaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:56 PM   #9
inaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHalos View Post
I didn't pick up at all that these were used bike parts. Was something said on the show that I missed? I thought that these were custom new bikes, which I don't think are that overpriced for a custom bike.
Wait, those bikes are USED parts?
I didn't hear that at all during the show.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:17 AM   #10
omnibus
cowboy, yee-ha

After further inspection of the http://villycustoms.com website here's a breakdown of the deal.
Prices range from $604 to $1000 +, price difference depends almost exclusively on degree and quantity of colors and the use or non-use of swarovski crystals for decoration.

Frame is steel, no other option available.

Single speed, 3 speed available for around $100 extra.

Coaster brake on rear wheel only.

Shipping is a flat $68 via fedex.

No refunds, strict shipping damage rules.

What a great deal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-06-2012, 01:06 AM   #11
GoHalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by inaka View Post
Wait, those bikes are USED parts?
I didn't hear that at all during the show.
No, I don't think so, but the OP seemed to think so, so I was asking if maybe I missed something.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:11 AM   #12
inaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHalos View Post
No, I don't think so, but the OP seemed to think so, so I was asking if maybe I missed something.
Ah ok, I missed that thinking they were announced as used parts.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:16 AM   #13
GoHalos

Now that I re-read the OP, maybe he's saying that you could get a similar look with used parts. I don't know - it didn't seem real clear to me.

Last edited by GoHalos : 05-06-2012 at 01:30 AM.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:35 AM   #14
jdfs
Unspecial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnibus View Post
After further inspection of the http://villycustoms.com website here's a breakdown of the deal.
Prices range from $604 to $1000 +, price difference depends almost exclusively on degree and quantity of colors and the use or non-use of swarovski crystals for decoration.

Frame is steel, no other option available.

Single speed, 3 speed available for around $100 extra.

Coaster brake on rear wheel only.

Shipping is a flat $68 via fedex.

No refunds, strict shipping damage rules.

What a great deal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And they all are the same style. No mountain bikes or anything.

HDR112 196 hrs - Retired
Tivo Premier with Extender
Tivo Premier #2
Roamio Pro
TiVo Mini
jdfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:48 PM   #15
LordKronos

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendiness1 View Post
As for the truck mattress . . . why? Who wants to climb into the back of their truck to sleep? If I'm doing anything remotely like that, there'll be a tent involved. At the very least, I'd put a mattress on the ground so I could access it easily not have to climb into the back of the truck and sleep out under the stars. I think this has an extremely limited market. And I'm pretty sure there are already air mattresses that have built in devices to blow them up.
I can definitely see a use for it. Setting up and tearing down camp can take a while. I'd be happy to have a setup like that to be out doing photography. For photography, time is very limited for taking good photos. The last thing I'd want to be doing if I were out alone would be wasting that time packing up camp. Admittedly, that's not a large market, but it's at least one use.
LordKronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:00 PM   #16
crxrocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordKronos View Post
I can definitely see a use for it. Setting up and tearing down camp can take a while. I'd be happy to have a setup like that to be out doing photography. For photography, time is very limited for taking good photos. The last thing I'd want to be doing if I were out alone would be wasting that time packing up camp. Admittedly, that's not a large market, but it's at least one use.
It's also great for hiking. If we are going to go on a really long hike, we'll sometimes sleep at the trailhead the night before.
crxrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:49 PM   #17
DanB

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordKronos View Post
something like these?

http://www.coleman.com/products/10079
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:16 AM   #18
Jebberwocky!

I just learned my Son is coming back home from AZ and bringing my (well his, soon to be mine again) Ford Ranger - and I think the airbed is a great idea. I have to look for a tent that fits the bed, that would be a killer combo.

For those of you who do not see the need for a truck bed, you must no do much camping/backpacking or fishing trips.
Jebberwocky! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:37 AM   #19
tiams

But why can't you just use a regular air mattress? There are plenty of those already on the market.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:38 AM   #20
Hank
AC•FTW

I was just going to say if he packaged a really nice looking and functional tent to mount on top of the truck bed, that would be a great combo.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:40 AM   #21
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
But why can't you just use a regular air mattress? There are plenty of those already on the market.
The value added on this one was that it fits perfectly in the truck bed, including making space for the wheel wells, so it's edge-to-edge mattress without gaps around the edges. It's a good idea that makes sense... it's just that the market is really, really small.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:51 AM   #22
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
The value added on this one was that it fits perfectly in the truck bed, including making space for the wheel wells, so it's edge-to-edge mattress without gaps around the edges. It's a good idea that makes sense... it's just that the market is really, really small.
But you can't sleep on top of the wheel well, so it's not really any more sleeping area.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:56 AM   #23
Jebberwocky!

Quote:
But you can't sleep on top of the wheel well, so it's not really any more sleeping area.
who says you can't? The tight fit around the bed is a benefit. The one drawback (per my wife ) is that if you put a bunch of stuff with you you'll have to take it out of the bed to inflate the mattress.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:12 AM   #24
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebberwocky! View Post
who says you can't? The tight fit around the bed is a benefit. The one drawback (per my wife ) is that if you put a bunch of stuff with you you'll have to take it out of the bed to inflate the mattress.
Because there is a big, uncomfortable, hard, uneven, hump underneath you.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:18 AM   #25
Jebberwocky!

Quote:
Because there is a big, uncomfortable, hard, uneven, hump underneath you.
so says you - are you positive that there is no padding whatsoever by the wheel wells?

Besides, who would sleep next the to side of the bed?
Old 05-07-2012, 08:40 AM   #26
Frylock
Live Long and Tivo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdfs View Post
And they all are the same style. No mountain bikes or anything.
I figured that was due to their size. They are focusing on a niche market to start, and to meet demand, they need to limit things somewhat.

I was surprised at how many bikes a year Barbara buys!
Old 05-07-2012, 08:58 AM   #27
Hank
AC•FTW

the thing that I see about the custom mattress versus a generic is that with a generic, you'll have big gaps around all the edges, where things can roll off and fall into the gap. Even if the wheel wells are unpadded, it's still a custom, 100% "fitted" mattress, so it won't move around and stuff won't get trapped in the gaps. Like I said, it is a sound idea, just no way to make A LOT of money at it.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:13 AM   #28
omnibus
cowboy, yee-ha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frylock View Post
I figured that was due to their size. They are focusing on a niche market to start, and to meet demand, they need to limit things somewhat.

I was surprised at how many bikes a year Barbara buys!
Is "niche market" the same as the market where people care more about bright flashy colors than considerations of weight, adequate braking and reasonable prices?
Old 05-07-2012, 10:11 AM   #29
pmyers

For those "Boot Illusions" I would have MUCH better preferred to take FUBU's offer with a licensing fee and free myself up to do whatever else I wanted than Barbara's offer and have to be so involved.

Of course they could have negotiated that royalty fee but she was so enamored with Barbara.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:21 AM   #30
DancnDude
Thrice as nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
For those "Boot Illusions" I would have MUCH better preferred to take FUBU's offer with a licensing fee and free myself up to do whatever else I wanted than Barbara's offer and have to be so involved.

Of course they could have negotiated that royalty fee but she was so enamored with Barbara.
And by the looks of it, the husband was really irritated with the wife just taking the deal without discussing it.

My fiancee happened to be in the room while I was watching and she said this was a really good idea and she thinks it will be a big hit.