Chad Testifies
Little Brothers commercial
WXPD News New York
Rihanna performs
Weekend Update
..Top Stories
..Patricia Krentcil
..Top Stories
..Admiral General Aladeen (Sasha Baron Cohen, Martin Scorsese cameo)
..Top Stories
What is This?
Helga Lately
Rihanna performs
Ms. Drag World
Cheech & Chong and also Richard

Isn't this show 3 months late? I guess I blacked out the memory of this past superbowl cuz I hadda look it up to see who played in it. I actually thought this might be a repeat at first.
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:03 AM   #2
Hank
AC•FTW

Was that really Sasha Baron Cohen? I was half asleep.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:15 AM   #3
SeanC
ECT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
Was that really Sasha Baron Cohen? I was half asleep.
I'm pretty sure it was, but I didn't try to analyze it too much either.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:52 AM   #4
kar74
hi.

Watching it now - it was definitely Sasha Baron Cohen with Martin Scorsese.

Eli Manning did a great job, especially for not being an actor. I really liked (and laughed at) the Amazon commercial. The trial was pretty funny, too. :-)
kar74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:52 AM   #5
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC

Isn't this show 3 months late? I guess I blacked out the memory of this past superbowl cuz I hadda look it up to see who played in it. I actually thought this might be a repeat at first.
Espn showed some past QB appearances. They were in this time frame. Late April, early May.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:54 AM   #6
Amnesia
The Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by kar74 View Post
Eli Manning did a great job, especially for not being an actor.
"A great job"?!?! Were we watching the same show?

The cold open was terrible---wooden delivery and bad timing. Then for most of the rest of the show, he either played himself or he played a moron (and sometimes both!) IMO, the only time where he showed any talent was in the Occupy sketch...
Amnesia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:05 AM   #7
terpfan1980
It's Just TV

TC CLUB MEMBER
I really enjoyed the Little Brother's ad. That was a decent bonus for people that enjoyed the Peyton Manning SNL ad from a few years back.

The rest of the show was basically a blur for me as I was falling asleep.

I will say the open was definitely not good. The trial was silly and Jason S. stumpled there a couple of times.
Xbox Live gamertag/PSN id: terpfan1980
terpfan1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:09 AM   #8
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Is the date in the title of this thread a mistake?
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:15 AM   #9
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

Sorry, Eli, but Payton did a much better job on SNL than you did. Even Tom Brady did a better job. Stick to your day job and win some more SB rings for the Giants.

I did like that brief anti-Peyton rant he did in the Little Brothers commercial.

I detest Sacha Baron Cohen so much that I'm hoping some Iranian ayatollah issues a fatwa against him after his movie comes out.
Graymalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:19 AM   #10
SeanC
ECT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
Is the date in the title of this thread a mistake?
Oy vey, yes it is.... I'll ask a mod to correct it.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:31 AM   #11
waitaminute

"That's how I throw a grenade."
I LOL'ed at his girly scream.
waitaminute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:55 PM   #12
Fish Man
Phish Food

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graymalkin View Post
Sorry, Eli, but Payton did a much better job on SNL than you did. Even Tom Brady did a better job. Stick to your day job and win some more SB rings for the Giants.

I did like that brief anti-Peyton rant he did in the Little Brothers commercial.
Agree with both of the above. (Except that while I'd likely root for the Giants in the Super Bowl, I'd rather see the Saints make it to the big game. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graymalkin View Post
I detest Sacha Baron Cohen so much that I'm hoping some Iranian ayatollah issues a fatwa against him after his movie comes out.
Disagree with this one. I find Sacha Baron Cohen to be funny, if a bit gross. I though his bit was a highlight of the show, and simply the fact that Martin Scorsese was willing to participate was cool.

Altogether, though, a below average show. Payton Manning was WAY funnier. Not sure how much of that difference was due to writing and how much was due to performance, however.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fish Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:12 PM   #13
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

TMZ is reporting that Rhianna pissed of Lorne Michaels (and everyone else) for claiming she was too ill to do dress rehearsals. Then appearing to be perfectly fine.
YCantAngieRead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:50 PM   #14
SeanC
ECT

What did they need her in rehearsals for? I'm sure she knows her dance moves and lip synching by now.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:52 PM   #15
Hank
AC•FTW

Blocking, lighting, sound, cameras, equipment, crew... lots of reasons for a dress rehearsal.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:57 PM   #16
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC
What did they need her in rehearsals for? I'm sure she knows her dance moves and lip synching by now.
There is a live dress rehearsal every week before an audience at about 7pm. There is 2 hours of material (with commercial time). They then have a couple of hours to cut what didn't work, etc. If something messes up in the live, then they'll sometimes use the dress for syndication or DVD.
Turtleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:00 PM   #17
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
Against my better judgement, I actually recorded this. I was moderately entertained up to and through Weekend Update, then it seemed to just go to heck after that. Thankfully my DVR lost the last segment due to severe storms in my area, but man - what played after WU reminded me why I told myself to quit recording SNL and wasting my time with it.

Though the sketch wasn't all that funny, I liked Manning in Chad Testifies just to see him making the faces and what not. I cracked up at his throwing of the hand grenade. And I haven't been following the whole Tanning Bed story other than the headlines, so I have no idea if what Wiig was saying had anything to do with the actual story, but I enjoyed that bit on WU.

Whoever was standing next to the fan after WU, though, must have tossed a big baggie full of squishy dog poop at it after that. Ugh, that was bad.
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:27 PM   #18
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

Dress rehearsals are considered a performance by most everyone in the live theatre business. Lorne takes that very, very seriously.

As would I, if I were directing.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:28 PM   #19
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
If she was sick for dress rehearsal, they had to have had a replacement musical act ready to go. I wonder who it was.
Turtleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:23 PM   #20
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

If you're healthy enough to be up walking around eating an apple, you're healthy enough to be a professional.

I'm about halfway through. I'm surprised-I'm enjoying it. I think Eli's got some ******y tendencies, but he's been kinda funny. Peyton is still better, but Eli's not bad.

I, too, enjoyed the Big Brothers ad. Nice callback.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:32 PM   #21
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

I would like Sacha Baron Cohen to get lost at sea with plenty of food an entertainment to last him, say, thirty years. I don't really want him to die, I just don't want to see him any more.

Also, nice nod to MCA.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:47 PM   #22
lpamelaa

The Amazon Mother's Day commercial was great. I thought I knew where they were going when sneaking up on mom and was so glad I was right. I nearly died when the daughter pretended to sing into the "microphone"!
Old 05-07-2012, 07:27 AM   #23
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

I thought it was pretty bad.

Amazon commercial was great. Little brothers only served to remind how much better Peyton's similar sketch was years before. I couldn't hit the FF fast enough when Sasha Baron Cohen came on - hate that guy.

The rest was just painful watching how awful Manning was.

Every time I'm drying off from a shower I think of my childhood buddy's father. - mcthumber
scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:42 AM   #24
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I'm a Giants fan and I really like Eli, but as an actor he's a great football player. Might have been the worst monologue I've ever seen. Did he move his eyes off the teleprompter once? I've heard the newspaper read with more enthusiasm. But I guess that's what I should have expected. I liked the Madden Football parody of them filming the action scenes. That was the best of it. The rest? meh.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:43 AM   #25
Fish Man
Phish Food

Quote:
Originally Posted by YCantAngieRead View Post
If you're healthy enough to be up walking around eating an apple, you're healthy enough to be a professional.
In both the acting biz and the music biz, you show up at rehersals and performances if you're the least bit ambaltory (and sometimes, even if you're not, John Popper did an entire Blues Traveler tour from a wheelchair in the late 90's following a motorcycle accident, for example).

Her refusal to show up for dress was snotty diva "I'm too important to accomodate you" behavior, pure and simple.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fish Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:05 AM   #26
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Man View Post
In both the acting biz and the music biz, you show up at rehersals and performances if you're the least bit ambaltory (and sometimes, even if you're not, John Popper did an entire Blues Traveler tour from a wheelchair in the late 90's following a motorcycle accident, for example).

Her refusal to show up for dress was snotty diva "I'm too important to accomodate you" behavior, pure and simple.
I have been in more than one production where someone had a bucket just offstage because they had a stomach virus. I have seen folks perform that were literally just about half dead.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:12 AM   #27
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by YCantAngieRead View Post
I have been in more than one production where someone had a bucket just offstage because they had a stomach virus. I have seen folks perform that were literally just about half dead.
That was the case within the last few weeks with Ryan Seacrest on "American Idol" - supposedly they had buckets waiting in the wings for him.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:35 AM   #28
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
That was the case within the last few weeks with Ryan Seacrest on "American Idol" - supposedly they had buckets waiting in the wings for him.
Was that from a virus though, or just from having to watch that show?

"of course, you are 100% correct" --

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:37 AM   #29
Amnesia
The Question

Quote:
That was buckets of cash, right?
Amnesia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:08 PM   #30
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Thought the whole show was pretty bad. A couple of funny premises (the Amazon ad, the trial), but Eli was pretty wooden throughout.