TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-05-2012, 06:09 PM   #1
MThorin

Tivo Hd

I have a Tivo HD (not a premiere unit) the hard drive is crashing on it. I (thankfully) have an older spare hard drive that I can use as a replacement. It is a western digital wd1600jb 160 gig drive. http://www.wdc.com/en/library/sata/2879-001146.pdf That is the pdf spec sheet on the drive. I'm wondering is it ok to use this drive, and also what special things should I do to it when formatting it to be used as a tivo drive? Let me clarify that last part: I've heard rumors that drives can be tweaked during setup so they run a little better in a tivo. Any tips for a newbie?

Thanks
MThorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:26 PM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Do not format the drive. If you use Windows, just use WinMFS from MFSonline.org.

You can use a larger SATA 3 drive such as 1 Tb. Any drive that is larger than the original 160 Gb.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:36 PM   #3
MThorin

thanks for the reply. so i take it that there are no tweaks or anything .. and that i can just use something like winmfs to mirror the old tivo drive to the new tivo drive.. correct?
Old 05-06-2012, 08:43 AM   #4
lpwcomp

What is the exact model # of your TiVo?

You may want to adjust the AAM value for the drive to make it run more quietly.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:00 AM   #5
MThorin

TCD652160 TiVo HD
and where would i adjust the aam? is that done while running winmfs? or something else? sorry it's been so long since i had to replace a tivo drive .. that i've forgotten most of what i knew, that and the last time i did it, the tivo ran slower (although that might have been because of how large i went with the replacement drive)
Old 05-06-2012, 09:01 AM   #6
MThorin

btw i like your signature line .. and i love burn notice.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:03 AM   #7
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MThorin View Post
TCD652160 TiVo HD
and where would i adjust the aam? is that done while running winmfs? or something else? sorry it's been so long since i had to replace a tivo drive .. that i've forgotten most of what i knew, that and the last time i did it, the tivo ran slower (although that might have been because of how large i went with the replacement drive)
It's done using the hddscan utility.

Even though you are not going to a larger hard drive, you might want to read this.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:01 PM   #8
MThorin

i notice that part way through the link that you gave me it says
------------

16. Are there any drives to avoid?

All recently manufactured Western Digital "Green" drives are no longer fully compatible out-of-the-box. They exhibit a "soft reboot" problem, where the TiVo is stuck on "Welcome...Powering Up" screen after every software reboot, including restarts initiated through the TiVo menus and restarts that follows software updates. Refer to FAQ #14 for more information.

Stick to the drives listed in the table above and you will be fine.
---------

i am not sure.. the drive that i have listed http://www.wdc.com/en/library/sata/2879-001146.pdf is that listed as a "green" drive? I don't see info on that.

and i do appreciate your help on this.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:38 PM   #9
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MThorin View Post
i notice that part way through the link that you gave me it says
------------

16. Are there any drives to avoid?

All recently manufactured Western Digital "Green" drives are no longer fully compatible out-of-the-box. They exhibit a "soft reboot" problem, where the TiVo is stuck on "Welcome...Powering Up" screen after every software reboot, including restarts initiated through the TiVo menus and restarts that follows software updates. Refer to FAQ #14 for more information.

Stick to the drives listed in the table above and you will be fine.
---------

i am not sure.. the drive that i have listed http://www.wdc.com/en/library/sata/2879-001146.pdf is that listed as a "green" drive? I don't see info on that.

and i do appreciate your help on this.
This is due to a feature called "Intellipark", which parks the heads when the drive is idle for a period, the default being eight seconds. While a TiVo Hard Drive is not normally ever idle, it does do so during a soft boot. AFAIK, this feature is only on the WD Caviar Green drives. This is a specific product line and is not just a case of a generic designation of them being "green", i.e. "eco-friendly". Your drive is just a regular Caviar and should have no problem. If you decide to go with a new, larger drive, the feature can be disabled. I installed a WD 1TB Caviar Green drive in my TiVo HD last year and it is running fine.

From what I have read. there is a potential problem restoring to a drive of the same size. Even though both are 160GB, the actual sizes can be slightly different, particularly if they are different manufacturers. If the "new" drive is larger or the same size, you should be OK. If not, it may not work. Once you determine the brand and model of drive currently in the TiVo, you should probably go to the "Expansion" thread and ask about it there.

You should also visually inspect the TiVo power supply to see if it exhibits any sign of "capacitor disease". The most notable symptom is bulging ends.

I would also suggest running the manufacturers diagnostics on both drives, obviously only the non-destructive ones on the "old" drive.

How are you planning to connect the drives to your computer? If you are planning to use a direct SATA connection as opposed to a docking bay, do you have a Gigabyte MB?