TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-08-2011, 07:55 PM   #1
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

TiVo intro animation clip?

I have never seen this happen before... I came home from work today, turned on the amp and the tv, noticed it was recording two programs (two red leds), and pressed the left arrow button before the TV was finished coming on. A second later when it came on, I was greeted by the TiVo intro clip animation.

Did my TiVo reboot on its own between last night and now and was waiting for me to press a key? I checked my version, it is 14.8.U2-01-3-746. I don't know what it was before today, did it just change? It doesn't look newer than what others are reporting. I got the U2 something update on 06-01-2011 (I didn't write down the entire version number).

I don't think there is an "up time" counter anywhere that I could find, so I don't think there is any way I can know if it rebooted. And there are no messages (and never are after an update, that I have ever seen), so there is no way to know if my version changed.

Strange...
Old 06-08-2011, 08:46 PM   #2
steve614
what ru lookin at?

"Uptime counter"

Try looking under Account & System Information / DVR Diagnostics*.
Page down to the last page and look for the line 'Time Since OOB Tune Start'. This will give you an approximate time since the last reboot in seconds. You will have to calculate the hours/days/weeks from that.

*This is how you find it with the TivoHD, I think the Premiere is similar.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:23 PM   #3
HomeUser

I don't know where you are located could there of been a power outage? I know here in Michigan there have been several power disruptions due to the high temperatures today.

If the DVR rebooted another tell-tail sign is the pointer in the menus would be reset to the top of the menu.

Or you may of unknowingly hit the '0' button on your remote when in TiVo Central pressing '0' plays the intro.
HomeUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:06 PM   #4
WrathWielder

It probably wasn't your power...

My Premier started doing that a few days ago - I'd hit the left-arrow and up would come the animation. I figured I must have received an OS update or something.
Then it happened the next day as well.
I thought maybe it repeated because I didn't let it finish playing the previous day...so I watched the whole thing...that didn't help.
The next day (yesterday) it did it one more time.
Until I saw your message I thought maybe I had to switch off a new "intro" option or something that came with the latest update...

Tonight it didn't do it, so maybe things (updates) have settled down

-Greg
WrathWielder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:11 AM   #5
rahnbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
I have never seen this happen before... I came home from work today, turned on the amp and the tv, noticed it was recording two programs (two red leds), and pressed the left arrow button before the TV was finished coming on. A second later when it came on, I was greeted by the TiVo intro clip animation.

Did my TiVo reboot on its own between last night and now and was waiting for me to press a key? I checked my version, it is 14.8.U2-01-3-746. I don't know what it was before today, did it just change? It doesn't look newer than what others are reporting. I got the U2 something update on 06-01-2011 (I didn't write down the entire version number).

I don't think there is an "up time" counter anywhere that I could find, so I don't think there is any way I can know if it rebooted. And there are no messages (and never are after an update, that I have ever seen), so there is no way to know if my version changed.

Strange...
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Try looking under Account & System Information / DVR Diagnostics*.
Page down to the last page and look for the line 'Time Since OOB Tune Start'. This will give you an approximate time since the last reboot in seconds. You will have to calculate the hours/days/weeks from that.

Ohh, a great use for Wolfram! In my case:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i...556971+seconds

BTW, since the S2 I can always tell a reboot has occurred by the behavior of the SP manager. Since I make little tweaks to various season passes each week the list will "stick" to the last SP I was editing when I back out to the main list of season passes. If a reboot has occurred and I scroll down a few pages, enter a season pass without and editing it then back out of it to the main list it will always go to the top of the season pass list instead of the one I was in. On the flip side if I edit lets say Season Pass #20 by adding or deleting some shows then back out to the main list then every time I come back to the SP Manager it will be where I left off until a reboot has occurred. If there was a reboot it would be at SP #1. The only other thing I can think of that would cause the animation to occur is if you changed from SDUI to HDUI or the other way around or I guess if the system went ahead and did that for you for some strange reason. Also there is a SPS code to show the animation. Got cats that like playing with your remote?
rahnbo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:28 AM   #6
moyekj

This is a new "feature" of 14.8. Periodically I get the intro video even though the unit has not rebooted. (I can tell right away if there has been a reboot since my beloved S-P-S-P-S feature resets).

It's TiVo Premiere's way of keeping you guessing - I always wonder when I sit down to watch one of my Premieres if when I press the TiVo button either it won't respond to remote control at all or it will give me the intro video or even more shockingly just work like it is supposed to.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 01:21 AM   #7
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Try looking under Account & System Information / DVR Diagnostics*. Page down to the last page and look for the line 'Time Since OOB Tune Start'. This will give you an approximate time since the last reboot in seconds. You will have to calculate the hours/days/weeks from that.

Great info! 586974 = 163 hours ago from now = almost 7 days ago. So it was not rebooted or restarted (I didn't think it was). So the mystery continues, but at least with more info.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:24 AM   #8
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahnbo View Post
The only other thing I can think of that would cause the animation to occur is if you changed from SDUI to HDUI or the other way around or I guess if the system went ahead and did that for you for some strange reason.
Nope- was in SDUI, still in SDUI.

Quote:
Also there is a SPS code to show the animation. Got cats that like playing with your remote?
My cats love playing with things, but not the remote.... and had they, it would have been on the floor for sure, which is was not. Mystery!!!
Old 06-09-2011, 01:26 AM   #9
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Looks like a new 14.8 bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
This is a new "feature" of 14.8. Periodically I get the intro video even though the unit has not rebooted. It's TiVo Premiere's way of keeping you guessing - I always wonder when I sit down to watch one of my Premieres if when I press the TiVo button either it won't respond to remote control at all or it will give me the intro video or even more shockingly just work like it is supposed to.
Yep, I am beginning to think based on my experience and others posted here that this is another ANOTHER new software bug. Just what I needed, a new bug being added to the "Does not respond to remote" bug (just like you).

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=456559
Old 06-09-2011, 01:48 AM   #10
randy1649

I dont understand the big issue. Just hit the tivo button right away and skip the cartoon.
You probably already have the remote in right your hand.
randy1649 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:55 AM   #11
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy1649 View Post
I dont understand the big issue. Just hit the tivo button right away and skip the cartoon.
The issue is that it is not normal and indicates there is yet something else now "wrong" with the Premiere. It is far more disturbing than problematic.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:30 AM   #12
rahnbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy1649 View Post
There is no big issue its just discussion. This is a message board concerning everything Tivo related including anything unusual or trending in that direction. So perhaps he hits the button as you suggest and it never happens again. Or, on the other hand, hundreds of users suddenly notice the same thing. Then it is a big issue right? I don't think there is any topic too large or small here as any tidbit of information can help many people and even Tivo itself. It wouldn't hurt you a bit to leave the topic alone if you find it irrelevant. Or, perhaps the issue will affect you every single time you use your Tivo now but people here will not want to help you now. Your comment, according to the rules seems to fall under "Don’t post “flame-bait” – That is a post just to provoke a reaction from other members. Those type of posts will be removed. "

See:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/forumrules.html
Old 06-09-2011, 08:20 PM   #13
chrispitude

Mine did this today. I'm glad it's not just me. It seems like a bug - why would I want to keep seeing it?
chrispitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 04:59 PM   #14
robby818

All four of my Premieres have been doing this since the last update (14.8). I've seen this movie at least four or five times on the bedroom tivo. I also experienced my first remote control lockup on one of my Tivos while watching a recorded program (Lemans) today.
robby818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 06:44 PM   #15
ecoblue

My two are doing it as well.
ecoblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:07 PM   #16
rahnbo

I feel left out because a new Tivo bug has been around a few days and hasn't happened to me yet.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:18 PM   #17
plazman30

I don't see the initial videos, but the Premiere tours keep coming back down. One of my TiVos has a folder with 3 copies of each video.
plazman30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:57 PM   #18
Mike Pfeifer
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by plazman30 View Post
I don't see the initial videos, but the Premiere tours keep coming back down. One of my TiVos has a folder with 3 copies of each video.
I'm in the same boat here. I have deleted the tour videos a few times, the most recent on Friday I think.
Mike Pfeifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:14 PM   #19
Stuxnet
Alien Infidel

I'm seeing the animation at least every other day, randomly when I hit the home button. I'm guessing this is a placeholder for a new ad placement

I'm also getting the TiVo welcome videos, but I think that only happens after I get an OS update (had 2 of those recently).
Stuxnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:37 AM   #20
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuxnet View Post
I'm seeing the animation at least every other day, randomly when I hit the home button. I'm guessing this is a placeholder for a new ad placement

I'm also getting the TiVo welcome videos, but I think that only happens after I get an OS update (had 2 of those recently).
Really? that's where you're going with this? talk about being pessimistic.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:39 AM   #21
rainbow

I have been experiencing that same issue as well. Sometimes when I hit the left button, the animation starts. I just hit the left button again, and it goes to the screen I was trying to get to.

I haven't let the animation continue yet to see what would happen, since my intent at those times was to get to 'my shows' screen.
rainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:55 AM   #22
TheWGP
Hmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
Really? that's where you're going with this? talk about being pessimistic.
I don't know about pessimistic... cynical maybe? Realist? Fatalistic? That IS kind of what Tivo does... why do you think they invented the HDUI? To show more ads, of course!

(tongue in cheek if you couldn't tell)

Seriously though, if Tivo started forcing video ads on us that would be pretty serious. It would break a couple of custom commands on my Harmony remotes, and I don't even want to THINK about how my wife & kids would handle it. Easy to skip, sure, but just the idea of it... strikes me as seeing how much the camel's back can hold.
TheWGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:12 AM   #23
musictoo

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=470321
musictoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 04:04 PM   #24
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by musictoo View Post
Good find. I even searched before starting this thread and didn't find that. Drat.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:08 PM   #25
fungflex

This has been happening to me for the past few days on my premiere as well. The video has played probably 5-6 times over the past week for no particular reason.

This particular unit received the last update and had the issue where the HD menus no longer function at all as well.

Of course my premiere xl got the update and then became stuck in a permanent green screen loop of death.

I am certainly on my last legs with tivo unless they do something drastic to make these devices actually useable again.
fungflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:51 AM   #26
emcgrath

Add two more Premieres that have this problem and unbearably slow HD menus.

I'm concerned that TIVO is more interested in partnerships (Adobe, HULU) and advertising than they are in the stability and usability of their product. I've bought 9 TIVOs over the years and the premiere is the only one where I feel like I've taken a step BACK in quality.
emcgrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:47 PM   #27
innocentfreak

I get the THX logo and then intro on my XL that is in SDUI every day when I first go to use it.

My XL using the HD UI never gets it.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 03:18 PM   #28
jaredmwright

I get the TiVo animation intro about once a day also since the last update on the SDUI on my Premiere but I never get it when I run in HDUI. The HDUI is too slow to use so I default back to the SDUI.
-TiVo Mini (MoCa) HDMI
-TiVo Mini (MoCa) HDMI
DirecTV HR22 HDMI & Slingbox Solo COMPONENT
jaredmwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 03:44 PM   #29
BigHat

Me too. The THX crap and then the Tivo animation. I hope it stops soon, getting on my nerves.
BigHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:27 PM   #30
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHat View Post
Me too. The THX crap and then the Tivo animation. I hope it stops soon, getting on my nerves.
I believe pressing any button during the animation will stop it.

orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote