Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-21-2012, 01:01 PM   #61
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Episode titles for the last two episodes:
Spoiler:
9 Blackwater (the George RR Martin episode for this season)
10 Valar Morghulis

Old 05-21-2012, 01:46 PM   #62
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fassade View Post
If Blackwater is episode 9, one opportunity they have really missed is showing Tyrion's preparations.

Spoiler:

Tyrion's triumph is not just the victory at Blackwater, but that he was able to devise a strategy and plan the forging of the chain so far ahead. The fact that he was able to plan an elaborate trap to defend Kings Landing while simultaneously fending off intrigue at Court makes his contribution in the Battle of Blackwater that much more admirable, and makes the injustice he suffers in its aftermath that much more meaningful.

A simple setup scene -- similar to how Halfhand set up John Snow for the wildlings this past week -- where Tyrion visits the city smiths, and we see they are making *something* at Tyrion's command, would have paid off well. They undoubtedly will have a similar scene at the beginning of the next episode, but it will lose some impact for being so close to the battle, and after most of the intrigue has taken place.

I believe we've already seen a scene where he orders this to be done
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:59 PM   #63
Fassade

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
I believe we've already seen a scene where he orders this to be done
We see a scene where he is shown the firepots, and says "keep making them, but for me" -- but, if I recall correctly, we have not

Spoiler:

seen any scene involving the chain or any indication indicating Tyrion has come up with a plan, or that the firepots are part of a plan. He decided when he saw them to keep them in his back pocket, so to speak, but has not planned any strategy.

Fassade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:27 PM   #64
mostman

Yeah - if they leave that stuff out - I won't be happy.
mostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:58 PM   #65
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fassade View Post
We see a scene where he is shown the firepots, and says "keep making them, but for me" -- but, if I recall correctly, we have not

Spoiler:

seen any scene involving the chain or any indication indicating Tyrion has come up with a plan, or that the firepots are part of a plan. He decided when he saw them to keep them in his back pocket, so to speak, but has not planned any strategy.
Maybe I'm misremembering, but I thought there was a scene where he

Spoiler:
ordered all the blacksmiths to create links. He just didn't come out and say these would be used in a large chain and what that chain would be used for.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:45 PM   #66
Rickvz
TiVoholic

I went back and reread the section from the book between Tyrion and Cersei and was interested in how the words were pretty much straight from the book but how Tyrion comes off much more sympathetic in the show. The quote from the book is below with the show version outside of the parentheses.

Quote:
( I have never liked you, Cersei, but you were my own sister, so I never did you harm. You've ended that.) I will hurt you for this. (I don't know how yet, but give me time.) A day will come when you think yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth, and you'll know the debt is paid.
Interesting that they do not have Tyrion holding Tommen in the show so we didn't have the back and forth threats between Tyrion and Cersei.
Rickvz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:53 PM   #67
stellie93

I don't remember the discussion of anything but the wildfire....

Agreed the Jamie thing was rushed. They didn't really explain why she sent Brienne with him either. Was there a scene in the book where Tyrion promised her a fair exchange--maybe sent a raven? She had come to trust him, I think.

I'm confused about the Arya story too. In the book was it to free the prisoners that she used the saying his own name thing, and then I thought she killed a guard and helped them escape herself when she decided Roose Bolton wasn't trustworthy. I love how brave she is compared to even Gendry. Will she ever see Jaquen again now?
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:24 PM   #68
JETarpon

She has to. She has to get the coin and learn the words.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:44 PM   #69
audioscience
Droppin' Science *

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
Maybe I'm misremembering, but I thought there was a scene where he

Spoiler:
ordered all the blacksmiths to create links. He just didn't come out and say these would be used in a large chain and what that chain would be used for.
I don't remember him mentioning anything about creating links or a chain.

Only the visit to the alchemists for the wildfire.
audioscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:51 PM   #70
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioscience View Post
I don't remember him mentioning anything about creating links or a chain.

Only the visit to the alchemists for the wildfire.

I probably read it and thought I saw it. I hope they don't leave the chain out.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:43 AM   #71
Bryanmc
I'm normal.

Regarding Tyrion and Blackwater, I'm curious if the show will:

Spoiler:
disfigure him as badly as the book does. I'm guessing not as his injuries are substantial. They will probably just give him some bad scars.

Bryanmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:32 AM   #72
audioscience
Droppin' Science *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanmc View Post
Regarding Tyrion and Blackwater, I'm curious if the show will:

Spoiler:
disfigure him as badly as the book does. I'm guessing not as his injuries are substantial. They will probably just give him some bad scars.
I agree with your assessment. I think they will

Spoiler:
Probably give him a scar on his nose. Considering they didn't make Rorge nose-less like in the book (I was waiting for that by the way) I don't think they'll make the star have half a nose. Probably just a scar on it or something.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:38 AM   #73
Rickvz
TiVoholic

I loved the Blackwater episode even without the chain. The lone ship leaking wildfire and the suddenness of the destruction once it was lit made the chain unneeded.

It was pretty obvious that they would likely change the nature of Tyrion's injury at the end. It will be easier to add a scar rather than have to make him up to have no nose. I had thought they might even have the injury be a serious chest wound or such.

One of the main topics developing on the episode thread is whether Sansa actually left with the Hound. The scene between them was not as violent as portrayed in the books and we didn't get Sansa singing to the Hound. I wonder if we will return to that scene next week with Sansa moving to the door and then bolting it rather than going with the Hound.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:48 AM   #74
stellie93

I hope she doesn't go with the Hound and skip over the next stuff in the book.

I can't remember who sliced Tyrion in the book--was it one of the King's guard sent by Cercei?

I wonder if Arya is going to run into the Hound next and skip the Brotherhood? I hope not. But that will all be a year from now
Old 05-28-2012, 09:54 AM   #75
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post

I can't remember who sliced Tyrion in the book--was it one of the King's guard sent by Cercei?
Mandon Moore of the Kingsguard
Old 05-28-2012, 10:20 AM   #76
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

Quote:
I hope she doesn't go with the Hound and skip over the next stuff in the book.

I wonder if Arya is going to run into the Hound next and skip the Brotherhood? I hope not. But that will all be a year from now
Careful, you're getting into book 3 stuff.

Xbox Live: DTigerFan
DavidTigerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:48 AM   #77
stellie93

Sorry-I was careful in my first line and then forgot when I got to the last one.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:34 PM   #78
robojerk

I think the exploding shipped was well done. Both in the book and the show they Bronn emtioned how dangerous it would be to have people flinging the suff, having the ship go out seemed a lot safer.

The chain made things better in the book, but I'll happily accept the way things played out. Tyrion's speech, did it happen in the book? I don't think so but it's been awhile. I think it was good enough to get the same viewer sympathy he deserves in the future.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:51 PM   #79
stellie93

I'm going to try this again, but it's harder to avoid spoilers on this thread than the other one.

In the books did Tyrion use the tunnels to get behind Stannis? I don't remember that part.

People are going on and on about how stupid John Snow is. In the books he didn't really come across that way, did he? For example, when he followed Craster out into the dark with the baby and then got caught--that wasn't in the books, was it? And I don't think it was his fault that Halfhand got caught, but I don't remember that too well. Are they making John Snow to know less than nothing on the show?
Old 05-29-2012, 02:29 PM   #80
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Quote:
In the books did Tyrion use the tunnels to get behind Stannis? I don't remember that part.
No.

meh
heySkippy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:36 PM   #81
robojerk

I too think Jon Snow didn't come off as stupid in the books. Because of my impression of him from reading I have a hard time of seeing his actions as making him stupid, but I can't argue with some of the comments being made about him especially regarding Ygritte.

I can overlook him following Castor out in the wood. Sam asked the question what happens to the baby boys, and his curiosity took the better of him especially since obviously Castor was doing something nefarious. However if Castor just went out there and sacrificed the baby by killing it himself instead of giving it to the white walkers, it's not like Jon would be able to do anything. However Jon's morals he picked up from Ned would have caused him to still stir up problems still. it was a lose lose situation for him.

Not killing Ygritte and taking her captive after his fellow crows killed the other wildlings. What was his plan after catching up with his fellow nights watchmen? They would not want another mouth to feed. I think this story line has not been changed for the better, however there's still 1 more episode so hopefully the direction they're taking it makes the destination worth the butchered journey.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:04 PM   #82
JETarpon

I don't think Jon Snow came off as stupid in the books.

Spoiler:

At least not the early books. His decisions in A Dance with Dragons were suspect, to say the least.

Old 05-29-2012, 03:10 PM   #83
jakerock
Hey ho howdy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETarpon View Post
I don't think Jon Snow came off as stupid in the books.
I think he came off as naive sometimes but that was expected given his back ground compared to the other men at the wall. But he didn't seem to do stupid stuff just for the heck of it one week to the next, I mean one chapter to the next.

Spoiler:
Even in Dance with Dragons he was making decisions that needed to be made. Unfortunately those decisions weren't popular.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:13 AM   #84
Rickvz
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost

You're probably right, but I'm still hoping we'll see Meera and Jojen in season 3 and the reason we haven't seen them yet is so they didn't have to cast the parts and sign actors to an extra year. The biggest problem with Osha taking on their role is * SPOILER *
This link, http://blastr.com/2012/05/which-new-characters-will.php, was posted elsewhere and discusses casting decisions for next season.
Spoiler:
So it looks like Meera and Jojen will be cast.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:00 PM   #85
audioscience
Droppin' Science *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickvz View Post
This link, http://blastr.com/2012/05/which-new-characters-will.php, was posted elsewhere and discusses casting decisions for next season.
Spoiler:
So it looks like Meera and Jojen will be cast.
Yes! Exactly what I was hoping!

It won't be completely bastardized after all.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:03 PM   #86
audioscience
Droppin' Science *

Quote:
I'm going to try this again, but it's harder to avoid spoilers on this thread than the other one.

No, I think they used that little ploy to replace his chain in the books. It was a genius tactical move that shows his smarts and that he was able to make smart decisions in battle and in turn helped save the castle.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:42 PM   #87
stellie93

On the other hand, in the books they made the tunnels seem small and nobody knew about them but Varys and a few others. I had trouble picturing all these big, armored men marching through them. And now everybody and his brother will be able to sneak anywhere in the castle, while family members who need to hide or escape could be much more easily caught.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:03 AM   #88
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

Ok, I can't find it in the book, but I don't remember Theon being knocked out by his friends. What happened in the book regarding that and winterfell?

Xbox Live: DTigerFan
DavidTigerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:12 AM   #89
jakerock
Hey ho howdy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTigerFan View Post
Ok, I can't find it in the book, but I don't remember Theon being knocked out by his friends. What happened in the book regarding that and winterfell?
Read about it here:

http://towerofthehand.com/books/102/067/index.html

It summarizes the chapter which is different from the series in many ways.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:46 PM   #90
robojerk

I think the whole plot with Reek/Ramsay Bolton (Lord Botlon's bastard) would have taken too much time unless they make the show 12 episodes a season, I wouldn't complain. They left it very ambiguous as to what happened to Winterfell. They could have at least shown a few of the Iron Men dead to at least give you the impression something nefarious happened to Winterfell with Stark's own bannermen men.