Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-27-2012, 11:11 AM   #31
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
And that banner does not get recorded, even if you are recording on all of the available tuners? Or, if it does, it gets recorded even if the TiVo is in standby?
Recordings are like normal, and unlike MeinD, there is no banner recorded, and no start/stop gap.

IOW, there is -zero- effect on the TiVo recordings. It's only the live video display that has the banner overlayed, and it disappears with a click of a button.

astrohip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:12 AM   #32
astrohip
Stuart F

Forgot to add, I have no idea what standby would do to this. I don't ever put my units in standby.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:14 PM   #33
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Recordings are like normal, and unlike MeinD, there is no banner recorded, and no start/stop gap.

IOW, there is -zero- effect on the TiVo recordings. It's only the live video display that has the banner overlayed, and it disappears with a click of a button.

What kind of TiVo?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:02 PM   #34
aaronwt
HD Addict

I had an EAS test last week when I was home in the middle of the day. I know my program kept recording without issue but I never went back to the recording to see what it looked like. The banner I had was similar to what astrohip posted.
I wish now I would have checked it but those recordings get deleted every day since I only keep five shows. The show was CNN newsroom which comes on many times during the day.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:16 PM   #35
Stevesreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Is there an energy savings claim someplace?
I have not run mine on a Kill-A-Watt yet, but at least according to item #10 here: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...72#post7805472, it saves 3 watts in standyby.

Since it turns off the live buffer recording, it's probably just do to a little less drive activity. I don't think they actually spin down or anything.
Stevesreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:39 PM   #36
ltxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevesreed View Post
I have not run mine on a Kill-A-Watt yet, but at least according to item #10 here: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...72#post7805472, it saves 3 watts in standyby.

Since it turns off the live buffer recording, it's probably just do to a little less drive activity. I don't think they actually spin down or anything.
Where I live that would save me twenty four cents per unit per month. Can't believe I've been missing out on this!
ltxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:59 PM   #37
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevesreed View Post

It doesn't turn off the live buffer recording, at least not on a non DirecTiVo.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:12 PM   #38
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
What kind of TiVo?
I have two S3s and an Elite running. All three react identically.

It must be a function of the local broadcasters, since it seems to be different from area to area.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:21 PM   #39
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltxi View Post
Where I live that would save me twenty four cents per unit per month. Can't believe I've been missing out on this!
You want to send me that 24 cents/month? Guess you don't care about money..

but even more than money, if a million people save a little bit of energy, it can prevent pollution or the need for more power plants, etc..
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:01 PM   #40
lpwcomp

Quote:

It must be a function of the local broadcasters, since it seems to be different from area to area.
They're must be multiple EAS protocols implemented on the TiVo and Comcast has switched to one that is less annoying, at least for test purposes. Doesn't mean they won't use a different one under other circumstances. I think I'll continue to put my TiVos in stby. Doesn't hurt anything and it isn't all that much effort.

Old 07-29-2012, 01:48 AM   #41
PeteB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
AND stops EAS from wrecking your recordings, as mentioned
AND lets suggestions start recording immediately (I use them only as a free disk space indicator)
I'm not sure about this, but I think it turns off TV ratings too. I watch 1 show on NBC, then put TIVO in Standby so I don't give viewer ratings to all their other crappy shows throughout the night.
PeteB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:55 AM   #42
heyted

Quote:
Originally Posted by JfNebraska View Post
Do people put their Tivo Premiers into Standby mode when they're done using them?
Yes -- during the day. At night, I kill the power to our TiVos. On our unsubscribed Premiere in our living room, I kill the power using a wireless Ademco Lamp Module connected to a Smart Strip. This allows me to kill the power to the entire entertainment center (and other devices) with the press of a single button on my key chain. The following day, when I arrive home from work, I use the same key chain remote to disarm the security system, unlock the wireless door deadbolt, and power up multiple devices including the Premiere (optionally all with the single press of one of the four buttons on the remote from outside the house). There are multiple reasons to not kill the power to a TiVo, but I do it anyway with an understanding of the limitations and life expectancy effects.
heyted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:17 AM   #43
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyted View Post
Yes -- during the day. At night, I kill the power to our TiVos. On our unsubscribed Premiere in our living room, I kill the power using a wireless Ademco Lamp Module connected to a Smart Strip. This allows me to kill the power to the entire entertainment center (and other devices) with the press of a single button on my key chain. The following day, when I arrive home from work, I use the same key chain remote to disarm the security system, unlock the wireless door deadbolt, and power up multiple devices including the Premiere (optionally all with the single press of one of the four buttons on the remote from outside the house). There are multiple reasons to not kill the power to a TiVo, but I do it anyway with an understanding of the limitations and life expectancy effects.
I have a timer on one of my TiVo and have had it for some years now, never caused any problems, leaving the TiVo off for 11 hours a day will make the drive last longer, some people dispute that but over a five year period the drives runs about 1/2 the time, it will last longer. (If one turned the drive on than off every 5 minutes than the large number of starts and stops over 5 years may degrade the drives life, if, on the other hand, you ran the drive for 5 minutes a year the drive would most likely last as long as a drive would sitting on the shelf unused.)

Old 07-29-2012, 06:54 PM   #44
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
I have a timer on one of my TiVo and have had it for some years now, never caused any problems, leaving the TiVo off for 11 hours a day will make the drive last longer, some people dispute that but over a five year period the drives runs about 1/2 the time, it will last longer. (If one turned the drive on than off every 5 minutes than the large number of starts and stops over 5 years may degrade the drives life, if, on the other hand, you ran the drive for 5 minutes a year the drive would most likely last as long as a drive would sitting on the shelf unused.)
You might think that (your evidence is anecdotal), but you have to realize that start up stresses the motor. I think that the stress is more detrimental to a hard drive than just letting it run 24/7.
Not only that, you're putting stress on the internal parts. The constant heating and cooling of the internal parts causes stress due to thermal expansion and contraction. It might even affect the lubrication of the motor, which in turn stresses the motor even more, and it all eventually snowballs to failure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:48 PM   #45
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
You might think that (your evidence is anecdotal), but you have to realize that start up stresses the motor. I think that the stress is more detrimental to a hard drive than just letting it run 24/7.
Not only that, you're putting stress on the internal parts. The constant heating and cooling of the internal parts causes stress due to thermal expansion and contraction. It might even affect the lubrication of the motor, which in turn stresses the motor even more, and it all eventually snowballs to failure.
You have a point but nobody knows where the sweet spot is for TiVo or for that mater even a computer. I am sure that turning a TiVo on than off every 5 minutes will shorten the life as compared to running it 24/7, but turning it on for 1 hour once a year will make the system last a lot longer than running it 24/7. (The same would be true of a computer) Running the system once a year would give you no usefulness in the computer or a TiVo, at 24/7 usefulness is the greatest, but if there is a sweet spot in-between it is an unknown. I put my computer to sleep 5 to 10 times a day, and never have any problems with the computer over the six years I normally keep one, yes that is evidence that is anecdotal but I never heard of any better information. I never leave my TV on 24/7 or keep my DVD player running 24/7. In the case of my 6 year old DLP TV the bulb would have burned out long ago running it 24/7 as the life expectancy is only about 3/4 of a year total. Disk drives have bearings and some inside dust collection that held down with the built in filter but running time will shorten the life of any hard drive over not running it. As example the hard drive on my computer, 30 months old, has an on time of 4597 hours and a start/stop count of 4582 (Info from the HD Tune program)

Old 07-30-2012, 05:20 PM   #46
Stevesreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltxi View Post
I pay an average of $.20 per kwh, so I save $.365 an month, assuming 20 hours stand by a day.

Anyway, I don't do it for the $$. I do it because it adds up. It costs nothing and requires no sacrifice or change in my behavior.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:03 AM   #47
lpwcomp

Quote:

It may also be a case of different EAS protocols for different purposes.

@2AM this morning, there was an EAS test. Not only was it full screen with that annoying alert sound, it was recorded by both live buffers, including the one that was for the tuner set to an OTA channel.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:28 AM   #48
jrtroo
User

Its all a balance of risk.

Additional stress may lead to a decrease if life of a drive (I won't argue my beliefs here, there are tons of threads on that). So, if you happen to have the drive that fails early due to the additional stress, the replacement will more than make up for a couple of dollars a month of "savings". Not only that, I would say that the 2 watt hours of energy saved is also upside down for the energy used to produce that new hard disk from dirt to installation. (not to mention those who would just buy a new unit, unlike the tinkerers here)

Enough drives failing early due to this stress could quickly make this savings negative overall, while individually there may be "winners".

Last edited by jrtroo : 07-31-2012 at 09:20 PM. Reason: tivo on timer has more energy savings than 40 cents
jrtroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:23 PM   #49
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Additional stress may lead to a decrease if life of a drive (I won't argue my beliefs here, there are tons of threads on that).
Standby does not power down the drive. There is zero additional stress.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:12 PM   #50
jrtroo
User

Sorry, I was talking about those who were putting their tivos on timers.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:12 PM   #51
Stevesreed

Quote:
Sorry, I was talking about those who were putting their tivos on timers.
If you put it on a timer and it's off for 20 hours a day, you should save more like 15.81kwh a month. Still only $3.16 a month though.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:36 PM   #52
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

One Premiere in the spare bedroom goes into Standby everyday automatically, after about 12-18 hours of inactivity. The TV is usually off and the HDMI connection is usually set to the Bluray player, so the TiVo HDMI handshake disconnect may have something to do with it.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=490146

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:07 PM   #53
David D

Does anyone know exactly what DOES shut off when in standby?

The last tech support call I made to TiVo, the tech told me that he thought the tuner shut off and that putting the unit into standby might keep the number of channel corrections down thereby decreasing the chances of my TiVo doing a reboot. He said that the TiVo will sometimes reboot itself if the correction count gets too high.

Yes, my BS detector did register a few ticks on the meter, but I'm not a TiVo engineer, so I can't say for sure.
David D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:29 PM   #54
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by David D View Post
Does anyone know exactly what DOES shut off when in standby?

The last tech support call I made to TiVo, the tech told me that he thought the tuner shut off and that putting the unit into standby might keep the number of channel corrections down thereby decreasing the chances of my TiVo doing a reboot. He said that the TiVo will sometimes reboot itself if the correction count gets too high.

Yes, my BS detector did register a few ticks on the meter, but I'm not a TiVo engineer, so I can't say for sure.
The tuners do not shut off on a non DirectTV TiVo. Otherwise, you would have empty live buffers when you came out of standby, which is definitely not the case.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:48 PM   #55
lessd

Quote:
It may also be a case of different EAS protocols for different purposes.

@2AM this morning, there was an EAS test. Not only was it full screen with that annoying alert sound, it was recorded by both live buffers, including the one that was for the tuner set to an OTA channel.
I have been interrupted many times by the EAS tests when watching live or a recorded program, but I have never had nor has my wife had a recording interrupted by the EAS tests, am I just lucky? have any of you had a recording interrupted by the EAS tests and know that it on the recording itself ?

Old 08-18-2013, 02:58 PM   #56
lpwcomp

Quote:
I have been interrupted many times by the EAS tests when watching live or a recorded program, but I have never had nor has my wife had a recording interrupted by the EAS tests, am I just lucky? have any of you had a recording interrupted by the EAS tests and know that it on the recording itself ?
I certainly have.

Old 08-18-2013, 03:27 PM   #57
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Two TiVo Standby mode poll running concurrently

Now that this thread is active again:

It may be of interest that scandia101 has started two polls on standby, now concurrently.

Here's the links to both:

Original: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=507509

Second: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=507535

Here's the thread they were born from:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=505820
Old 08-19-2013, 12:48 AM   #58
lessd

Quote:
I certainly have.
So your saying that a recorded program got EAS interrupted, did it turn into two segments or just a single segment with the EAS tests somewhere in the program? Maybe Comcast in CT EAS does not cause that problem, or as I said, I am just lucky.

Old 08-19-2013, 06:36 AM   #59
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
I certainly have.
Same here, multiple times due to the crappy old school black screen with white letters EAS that Comcast uses in the ATL. It gets overlaid on the recording every time. Doesn't happen often enough to use standby though (for me).
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:28 AM   #60
lpwcomp

Quote:
So your saying that a recorded program got EAS interrupted, did it turn into two segments or just a single segment with the EAS tests somewhere in the program?
The latter, within the program.

Quote:
Maybe Comcast in CT EAS does not cause that problem, or as I said, I am just lucky.
As slowbiscuit initimated, Comcast in the ATL is gawdawful, which is why I don't think this will ever be addressed by them nor are we likely to see VOD on TiVo.