Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-08-2012, 04:00 PM   #1
TiVoMargret
VP of Design, TiVo

Help me write the 20.2 Release Notes

Hi all!

I promise I will put together Release Notes for our new 20.2 software update for the TiVo Premiere series, but I need your help.

Please use this thread to list all of the changes you've found. (I've had this software so long, I don't recognize all of the new things!)

I will then organize them, and add some commentary as to *why* we made the changes.

If you have topics/questions you'd like to see covered in the Release Notes, please list those too. I'll do my best.

Sound fair?

Thanks,
--Margret
TiVo Inc. *
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TiVoMargret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 04:04 PM   #2
mmf01

Aside from the many great UI improvements, I noticed the Netflix video out of sync (FFing immediatly after playing) issue has been fixed with this release..Original issue details below.Thanks!!

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=480590
mmf01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 04:13 PM   #3
comma, splice

This is awesome! TiVo is back!
comma, splice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 04:22 PM   #4
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmf01 View Post
Aside from the many great UI improvements, I noticed the Netflix video out of sync (FFing immediatly after playing) issue has been fixed with this release..Original issue details below.Thanks!!

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=480590
Release Notes, not issues log
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 04:25 PM   #5
ncted
A leaf on the wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by compnurd View Post
Release Notes, not issues log
Release notes typically include resolved issues as well as known issues.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:31 PM   #6
andyf

If you change channels via the guide the medium banner should come up, but if you just bring up the guide and then close it the small banner shouldn't come up.

With the mini-guide if you change channels only the small banner comes up, not the medium banner. But if you clear it neither banner comes up.

A little inconsistent there, I would expect the behavior of the guide and the mini-guide to be the same when changing channels or just clearing the guide.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:35 PM   #7
andyf

The Delete Confirmation dialog box at the end of a show is now in HD instead of SD.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:43 PM   #8
danjw1

Margret, you might want to keep an eye on this thread: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=481338. He did a good job of putting together a summary of the changes with the last release. And Margret, thank you for communicating with the community the way you are!

Last edited by danjw1 : 01-08-2012 at 07:33 PM.
danjw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 04:47 PM   #9
PedjaR

In HDUI, select a series recording, then go into "Explore" menu, then "Episodes". In 20.2 it has a toggle Available/All, with Available being the default; if I remember correctly, older version only had All. This is rather handy, as the Explore submenu was (for me) already the main (feature-wise) advantage of HDUI over SDUI, and now it is better.

A clock in several screens, nice.

And, of course, the main changes everybody knows about:
- HD guide and banners; finally another reason to have HDUI.
- new background for SD screens, makes switch to them less annoying.
- slightly different Discovery Bar
PedjaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 05:07 PM   #10
innocentfreak

Sounds great.
  1. New HD Grid Guide and live Guide with indicators for scheduled recordings, single check mark for manual recordings, two check marks for season pass scheduled recordings, and red for currently recording. You can sort by Channel number or Channel Name.
  2. New HD Miniguide
  3. Streaming is enabled, will go live with official roll-out. You will of course need multiple Premieres and will not work with S3 or TiVoHD. Wired connection is recommended.
  4. At the bottom of the TiVo Search results, you will now have an option to create a wishlist for the search item.
  5. Search now includes channels so you can search for NBC for example and it will list any channel with NBC in the title. Selecting this result will take you to Live TV. If all tuners are recording, it will prompt you just like if you tried to change the channel during a recording.
  6. New Discovery Bar. The Discovery Bar now contains 4-6 items and cannot be scrolled. All items on the Discovery Bar are now labeled so you know why it is up there.
  7. New delete screen in HD when using the HDUI. Also there is no longer a confirmation sound prior to the delete screen appearing.
  8. Clock has been added to TiVo HD menus

Questions. I realize some of this probably can't be answered.
  1. Will we see filters return to the Guide?
  2. Any chance we will see other indicators in the guide like shows that won't record or conflicts, shows with a season pass, shows with thumbs up only?
  3. Any chance the spoiler window in the Guide can be disabled if you have the preview window turned off? This is mainly if I am not watching live TV or a recording. If I just hit Guide while in My Shows or TiVo Central ideally there would be no preview window.
  4. Any chance there could be an option to disable the labels on the Discovery Bar? I understand why they are there, but the new images are more dull with the labels. Also it has caused some odd wordwrap with shows like SeaBiscuit.
  5. We seem to have lost the ability to thumbs up or down shows on the Discovery Bar without actually selecting them now? Any chance this could
  6. Any chance streaming will work from the PC for at least transferred recordings?
  7. Any chance someone from TiVo can answer any of wmcbrine's metadata questions? Would love to have access to all the Metadata with pushed recordings.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:01 PM   #11
bbrown9

Release notes? I'm so happy I just might cry!

Margret, you're the best!
bbrown9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:20 PM   #12
smbaker

Release notes are nice and I'm sure will be welcome by the community.

However, the community is being asked to provide the data based on observation rather than the developers based on implementation? Isn't this data part of every sane revision control system on the planet? I can't imagine someone saying "I just released and update, now please tell me what I updated"... It's just weird.

Part of what makes release notes or a changelog valuable is that it would contain changes that we don't know about.
smbaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:30 PM   #13
davezatz
Funkadelic

* Right arrow no longer cycles through three channel bar options
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:31 PM   #14
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Margret, I applaud your willingness to participate and supply information! However, in this case, it seems it might be redundant, since I am already doing this (announced before your thread): http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb....php?p=8891646 Like I did for the last version. Of course, it takes me many hours, and I would love to hand it over to you, if you like

I think what people would love to see from TiVo is an official changelog based on internal documents of software changes, not something gathered from the community and then posted back to the community. Know what I mean?
Old 01-08-2012, 08:36 PM   #15
Charles R

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
I think what people would love to see from TiVo is an official changelog based on internal documents of software changes, not something gathered from the community and then posted back to the community. Know what I mean?
I find this request endearing and embarrassing at the same time. A company actually requesting customers to produce documentation for them. Should we process our own monthly fees for you as well? Or perhaps I'm sorry I haven't been keeping you abreast (for years) but if you tell me what's going on with my company I'll let you read about it.

And 30 posts in four years makes me a little hesitant to think it's a new dawning.
Charles R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:51 PM   #16
SafariKC
My TiVo reboots alot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
I find this request endearing and embarrassing at the same time. A company actually requesting customers to produce documentation for them. Should we process our own monthly fees for you as well? Or perhaps I'm sorry I haven't been keeping you abreast (for years) but if you tell me what's going on with my company I'll let you read about it.

And 30 posts in four years makes me a little hesitant to think it's a new dawning.
I think the classification of "embarrassing" is unfair. Not many consumer tech companies give detailed release notes, sure there is a source control system, and bug system/issue tracker, internal tech doc. But if you look at what most companies do for their users it's very high level. If this was an apple release it would say "Stability and Performance enhancements, new HD Guides, adds Streaming capability between premiere boxes (to be enabled at a later date), streamlined discovery bar". And there would be no dialog at all.

What Margret is offering is great - fun - and interesting to get some behind the scenes (story teller/music artist style) - here's what we did and an offer to learn from us what we find most important.

The simple truth is, it's been a LONG while since we got a major update to the TiVo platform - and TiVo has been using this code base or somethinglike it for a while with Virgin - so the merge probably does make it hard for them to build a great user experience from -> to. This is a win-win if you ask me. Change to learn more and set a new bar for transparency for the next iteration... Which I suspect will come sooner than we think.

Looking forward to seeing the changelog thread updated by Margret - lots there already, imagine how awesome it will be with her direct help too?

KC

SafariKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:14 PM   #17
innocentfreak

Quote:

I think it is a combination of several things.

They have a new head of Corporate Communications.

They have been running multiple versions so while yes 20.2 is new to us, many of the updates were already in the Virgin TiVo. As a result they have been internally working with 20.2 at least since September 2011.

TiVo in the past has never really released a changelog. There is an old post from TiVoPony in the past even stating some of the thinking behind why they don't. Unfortunately I can't find the post today.

As far as her post count if you look, half have been in the past week. I think this is a sign of changes.

I think the response from the community, here and on Twitter, has also been a positive sign. I believe she even mentioned to someone as a result of the response they plan on trying to have the priority sign-up page active next release.

In the past the community, mostly here but also on Twitter, hasn't been the most friendly to TiVo employees. Also consider she has been one of the more public employees while not as much on here prior to now, but definitely on Twitter. She responds a majority of the time on Twitter. This is also as she pointed out in another thread that this is the first release she has run.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:29 PM   #18
sbiller

2x performance due to new multi-threaded flash player?

Different view if what's playing on the other tuner(s). Elite looks better than the 2-TUNER premiere.

New play buffer bar with color TiVo on left

Search includes Hulu Plus results (coming soon)

Simplified filtering options?

New HD dialogues for tuning adapter and hdmi related messages.

Different program info banner when changing channels versus mini-guide versus right arrow info.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:53 PM   #19
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbaker View Post
Release notes are nice and I'm sure will be welcome by the community.

However, the community is being asked to provide the data based on observation rather than the developers based on implementation? Isn't this data part of every sane revision control system on the planet? I can't imagine someone saying "I just released and update, now please tell me what I updated"... It's just weird.

Part of what makes release notes or a changelog valuable is that it would contain changes that we don't know about.
In an ideal world the programming staff would take the time to write copious notes documenting all the changes they've made, but I've never seen a world like that, have you? I'm sure TiVo's programmers have been busy just trying to get ahead of the curve lately. I would like to think that TiVo has noticed that they have a great resource here in TCF, and that they're trying to engage it productively. And if they ask us, they'll get input on all changes that have occurred, not just on those that were intended.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:19 PM   #20
djwilso

When pressing SELECT, a new miniature guide appears.

Aside from not being exactly intuitive, a side-effect of this new behavior is that any remote sequences that depend on the SELECT-PLAY-SELECT behavior now become exceedingly difficult to enter.

The only way that I have been able to enter the sequences is while viewing a video in the Showcases menu, where SELECT does not display the miniature guide.

After enabling the on-screen clock using the SELECT-PLAY-SELECT-9-SELECT [CLEAR] remote sequence, the clock position has been moved into the center of the screen, which makes the clock unusable.

I have been using the clock for many years. Please move the clock position back to the lower-right corner of the screen, and please be mindful of overscan of older HDTVs.

It sure would be nice if the clock was an option in the Displays setting menu.

Thanks for all of the improvements in this new release.
djwilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:58 PM   #21
smbaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
In an ideal world the programming staff would take the time to write copious notes documenting all the changes they've made, but I've never seen a world like that, have you?
In any and every project I've worked on involving more than 3 people, a version control system has been in placed that had a handy spot to enter a changelog line every time a commit occurs. Whether it be CVS, SVN, GIT, Microsoft TFS, etc., they all have this feature.

I'd be astonished to find that Tivo's programmers commit code without noting what has changed. It'd make any large scale project rather difficult not knowing who had changed what. More likely, I'll bet the company is large enough that there's two departments not communicating, and an internal changelog exists. It's just silly to think they pushed an update without knowing what's in it.
smbaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:36 AM   #22
magnus
Tivo User

Quote:
124 posts in 12 years is hardly anything to write home about. Are you sure that you should cast any stones?
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:41 AM   #23
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
In an ideal world the programming staff would take the time to write copious notes documenting all the changes they've made, but I've never seen a world like that, have you? I'm sure TiVo's programmers have been busy just trying to get ahead of the curve lately.
Yes, I have. Many, many times. In fact, it is the norm. Although it is rarely the programmers deciding which features to add, and in a vacuum. Normally there are testers, analysts, and managers making those decisions in concert with programmers. And not having lists of what they are changing is suicide.

The lists of changes already exist. It would be absolutely insane to have no documentation. It doesn't have to the be programmers that collect them together into a document.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:33 AM   #24
GriffithStrife

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post
* Right arrow no longer cycles through three channel bar options
I have heard you and many others say this, but I have ask you do realize it's meant to work this way? And for the better I might add.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
Margret, I applaud your willingness to participate and supply information! However, in this case, it seems it might be redundant, since I am already doing this (announced before your thread): http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb....php?p=8891646 Like I did for the last version. Of course, it takes me many hours, and I would love to hand it over to you, if you like

Sir I do not want to offend you or troll you, but for the first time in years we have a person in a position to help us. Who is willing to listen to our advice and opinions and you decide to show her who's boss with firsties.

We all appreciate what you do, but maybe this one time you can take a back seat. I also find your final comment to be rude, I know Margret won't ask for a apology but I think one is needed on your part.

For a long time we all complained about many things, myself included but now things are starting to change. Lets not ruin it with are petty egos or things they changed we don't like.

I have heard 5 people call the select button bringing up the mini guide a bug, why is it that if you don't like it it's a bug? I happen to love it, but that's just me I can't stand the SD UI but I don't call it a bug.

Forgive me if I sound like a ass but Margret and a lot of others deserve extra credit.

In the last week they have done more to improve Tivo's image than the last 3 years combined
GriffithStrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:36 AM   #25
ncted
A leaf on the wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriffithStrife View Post
I have heard you and many others say this, but I have ask you do realize it's meant to work this way? And for the better I might add.

Sir I do not want to offend you or troll you, but for the first time in years we have a person in a position to help us. Who is willing to listen to our advice and opinions and you decide to show her who's boss with firsties.

We all appreciate what you do, but maybe this one time you can take a back seat. I also find your final comment to be rude, I know Margret won't ask for a apology but I think one is needed on your part.

For a long time we all complained about many things, myself included but now things are starting to change. Lets not ruin it with are petty egos or things they changed we don't like.

I have heard 5 people call the select button bringing up the mini guide a bug, why is it that if you don't like it it's a bug? I happen to love it, but that's just me I can't stand the SD UI but I don't call it a bug.

Forgive me if I sound like a ass but Margret and a lot of others deserve extra credit.

In the last week they have done more to improve Tivo's image than the last 3 years combined
+1
Old 01-09-2012, 07:50 AM   #26
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncted View Post
+1
+2
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:21 AM   #27
sbiller

TiVo Continues to Improve Customer Experience With New Software Release

http://investor.tivo.com/phoenix.zht...905&highlight=

TiVo Service Update Enhances Search, Guide, and Program Information so Users Can More Quickly Find and Discover the Best Entertainment That TV and the Web Has to Offer

LAS VEGAS, NV, Jan 09, 2012 (MARKETWIRE via COMTEX) --TiVo Inc. (NASDAQ: TIVO), the creator of and a leader in television services including digital video recorders (DVRs) today announced that it continues to improves its TV experience with a new software release to TiVo(R) Premiere DVRs. This is another in a series of software releases for the TiVo Premiere DVR platform.

This software release brings changes in several different areas including:

Improved Live TV Experience

-- New HD Guide - The TiVo Guide is now in HD making it crisp, clear and
fast. The design lets you find your live TV shows even quicker. Use of
picture in graphics allows you to watch your show while browsing the
guide. HD guide is available in both traditional "Grid Guide" format
as well as TiVo "Live Guide" which lets you see what is on the current
channel for much of the day in one screen.
-- New Information Banner (Previously Channel Banner) - The screen
providing information about the current channel has been redesigned
with a crisper look. The system provides information about the channel
in one of two sizes and TiVo automatically selects which size to use.
The standard size shows up when you first tune to a channel or start
to play a recording or program download. The full banner shows up if
the user explicitly requests information about the channel.
-- New Mini-guide- Live TV now has a mini-guide that displays shows that
are currently playing or coming up next on the current channel and the
next three channels in guide listing.
-- Multiple Tuner Icons- There are now "multiple tuner" icons in the full
info banner. When that is highlighted, it shows what is playing and
recording on the DVR's other tuners. If you'd rather watch one of
those shows, you can easily select it to get to your other tuners.

Instantly stream shows between TiVo Premiere DVRs

-- Allows users with more than one TiVo Premiere DVR in their house to
stream content between them. This means instant access to any part of
a show no matter where it is recorded. It also allows multi-room
access to most "Premium" content.

Search Enhancements

-- Search for Channel - TiVo search now integrates Hulu Plus so you can
search across live TV and TiVo's complete library of broadband
content. For the first time, you can now search for a channel by call
sign (e.g., CNBC) within TiVo Search.

-- Easier navigation to Episodes- New Episode guide shows only episodes
available in broadband or broadcast TV by default making access to
shows more clear and even easier. You can use an option button on the
remote to change the filter to show all episodes, available or not, or
only free episodes (Episodes not requiring a per episode purchase).

Discovery Bar - Re-designed Discovery Bar shows short "recommended reasons" text below each image in the bar so that users can tell why a show is recommended without having to navigate to it.

More Fluid Navigation - The new software also allows users to navigate through the user experience more quickly. This is one installment of a continued effort to make the user experience even better.

In addition to the features listed above, TiVo also announced today that its popular TiVo(R) App is now available on Android phones and select tablets -- providing the TiVo user experience to even more consumers, including those with the new Amazon Kindle Fire. To learn more about the app visit www.tivo.com/android.

About TiVo Inc. Founded in 1997, TiVo Inc. (NASDAQ: TIVO) developed the first commercially available digital video recorder (DVR). TiVo offers the TiVo service and TiVo DVRs directly to consumers online at www.tivo.com and through third-party retailers. TiVo also distributes its technology and services through solutions tailored for cable, satellite and broadcasting companies. Since its founding, TiVo has evolved into the ultimate single solution media center by combining its patented DVR technologies and universal cable box capabilities with the ability to aggregate, search, and deliver millions of pieces of broadband, cable, and broadcast content directly to the television. An economical, one-stop-shop for in-home entertainment, TiVo's intuitive functionality and ease of use puts viewers in control by enabling them to effortlessly navigate the best digital entertainment content available through one box, with one remote, and one user interface, delivering the most dynamic user experience on the market today. TiVo also continues to weave itself into the fabric of the media industry by providing interactive advertising solutions and audience research and measurement ratings services to the television industry www.tivo.com

TiVo, TiVo Logo, and Trick Play are trademarks or registered trademarks of TiVo Inc. or its subsidiaries worldwide. Copyright2011 TiVo Inc. All rights reserved. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

SOURCE: TiVo
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:21 AM   #28
TerpBE
Go Terps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwilso View Post
Aside from not being exactly intuitive, a side-effect of this new behavior is that any remote sequences that depend on the SELECT-PLAY-SELECT behavior now become exceedingly difficult to enter.

The only way that I have been able to enter the sequences is while viewing a video in the Showcases menu, where SELECT does not display the miniature guide.
1. Turn on Live TV
2. Bring up the mini-guide
3. Enter your SPS sequence

This worked for me, and is pretty simple once you know about it.
TerpBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:29 AM   #29
jrtroo
User

+4

In addition, this poster seems to be missing the point.
Quote:
I find this request endearing and embarrassing at the same time.
This openness is new. These enhancements were clearly not previously put together with copious notes meant for presentation general public (so they would obviously need to go back, compare versions, notes, whatever, and create this for us from scratch). Tivo was open, got good feedback from this group, and reciprocated. This is something we need to appreciate for what it is, we are being asked, as a group, to participate.

If we act as grown ups, perhaps we are on the road to having TiVo continue this process. They may consider putting these notes together for public consumption as the changes are contemplated and put into production. What we have here is an individual going out on a limb, in the public domain, to give us information. Giving off negativity will NOT HELP that take place.

Sorry- I did not mean for this to be a rant. We simply need to appreciate what we have and not give cause for it to stop now.
jrtroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:45 AM   #30
comma, splice

+5
comma, splice is offline   Reply With Quote