TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-14-2012, 09:18 AM   #1
jauburn

Premiere XL4 louder than Series 3?

My new Premiere XL4 is a tad louder than my Series 3, in which I had a custom-installed hard drive. I cherish silence, so I'd like to get this fixed. The noise in the XL4 seems to be coming mostly from the internal hard drive.

Questions:

1. Anyone else notice that the XL4 is louder?

2. What steps can I take to reduce the noise? Is there a recommended replacement for the supplied hard drive?

3. Is there any way to eliminate the fan noise?

4. On the subject of hard drives, is it a good idea to keep the original drive as a backup once I replace it with a quieter one?

Thanks in advance.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jauburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:30 AM   #2
aaronwt
HD Addict

Both of my Elites are quieter than any of the eight or nine Series 3 boxes I had(OLED and TiVoHD). Although I can still easily hear the fan and hard drive in any TiVo from twenty feet away in a quiet room. But my two Elites are quieter than those S3 boxes.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:57 AM   #3
mr_smits

Here is a possible solution. If the Tivo Mini is released next year, it may not have a fan (hopefully it does not) so it will be silent. You could put the XL4 in a louder area of your home or tuck it away in a cabinet and use a mini instead.
mr_smits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:06 AM   #4
DogsOfWarandPeac

I recently swapped out my bedroom S3 (OLED) for Premiere XL and the S3 was audible but not really noticeable. The Premiere is definitely louder. The S3 has a much larger diameter fan and so my theory is that it could spin slower to move the same amount of air.

The stock TiVo Premiere fan has failed on me before and others have reported its questionable quality.

Last edited by DogsOfWarandPeac : 12-14-2012 at 01:54 PM.
DogsOfWarandPeac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:27 AM   #5
DaveDFW

My new XL4 is considerably quieter than either of my old S3s--I consider my XL4 to be practically inaudible.

One of my S3s was from 2006 and the other from 2007, so maybe they became slowly louder over the years without me noticing.
DaveDFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:16 AM   #6
mr_smits

It would be great if Tivo can eventually move to a fanless system. Besides the obvious improvement in noise, the box will lower the power requirements. Also down the line (maybe 3-5 years?) should be SSD drives and that gain in speed, silence, and energy efficiency.
mr_smits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:59 PM   #7
jauburn

SSD drives are definitely to be desired. It's a pity that they are still so expensive.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:53 PM   #8
Dan203
Super Moderator

I think this is luck of the draw. Like all fans some are quite, some are not. You could probably replace the fan with a higher quality one and almost eliminate the fan noise. Replace the drive with an SSD and it would be basically silent.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:37 PM   #9
aaronwt
HD Addict

To get the same airflow from the same size fan, it can't be quiet. Unfortunately most fans are at a frequency that I can easily hear. The only fans I've had that I can't hear from across the room are the whisper quiet 9dBA fans. But I can still hear them from several feet away.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:12 PM   #10
Dan203
Super Moderator

I can always hear them too, but most people can't and I've mostly managed to mentally tune them out. The suggestion to replace the fan mostly applies to people who's fan is excessively noisy. Some fans just squeak more then others. For people with a squeaky fan you can get a replacement for about $5 that will likely reduce, or possibly eliminate, the noise you hear.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:44 PM   #11
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:12 AM   #12
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jauburn View Post
SSD drives are definitely to be desired. It's a pity that they are still so expensive.
SSD's are not intended for DVR use, because they will fail way too early with current tech. I'd much rather see Tivo put the OS on flash RAM so we could easily swap out a failed drive (or do easy upgrades) with anything we want.

I don't personally care because I can run jmfs etc., but there's a lot of people spending too much money on drives from fleabay or weaknees.

Back on topic, I don't think my Elite is any different than my old HDs, sound-wise. They're both pretty quiet but as aaron said with a quiet room you can hear them if you pay attention. With normal TV volumes it's a non-issue.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:17 AM   #13
jauburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
To get the same airflow from the same size fan, it can't be quiet. Unfortunately most fans are at a frequency that I can easily hear. The only fans I've had that I can't hear from across the room are the whisper quiet 9dBA fans. But I can still hear them from several feet away.
I wonder whether it's the fan or the hard drive. I will pop it open to try to find out. If the fan is connected with a traditional computer-type connector, I have a fan limiter which will slow down the fan. I suspect, however, that the majority of noise coming from the Premiere is the hard drive. Again, popping it open will tell the tale.

However, if I do have to replace the hard drive, I wonder which model to get. Anyone have any tips on extra quiet 2 TB hard drives?
Old 12-16-2012, 10:19 AM   #14
jauburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Back on topic, I don't think my Elite is any different than my old HDs, sound-wise. They're both pretty quiet but as aaron said with a quiet room you can hear them if you pay attention. With normal TV volumes it's a non-issue.
This is true, but I care less about how loud the Tivo is while the TV is on. I care much more about the white noise generated constantly when the TV is off, which is its normal state in my living room.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:18 AM   #15
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jauburn View Post
However, if I do have to replace the hard drive, I wonder which model to get. Anyone have any tips on extra quiet 2 TB hard drives?
The stock WD20EURS in the Elite is very quiet and specifically meant for DVR use. Runs around $100-110 on Amazon.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote