TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-25-2011, 08:04 AM   #1
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

Suits! USA Network

I just watched "Suits" on USA and I love it. I like the energy and the outrageousness, and so far, this is my kinda show. I had a similar response to the first "Burn Notice."

USA Network is really bringing in good show.

We'll have to see how it does over time. Can it live up to the big-bang of the Pilot in future episodes? Will the characters develop to be likeable and relatable? I hope so.

What did you think, and how did you like it?
Old 06-25-2011, 10:00 AM   #2
Andrew_S

Thought it was one of the stronger pilot episodes that USA has had. It's still pure USA, but also a little darker than their other shows.
Andrew_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:03 AM   #3
SeanC
ECT

I really enjoyed it too. This is my kind of show about lawyers, Franklin and Bash seem way too goofy to me.
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:39 AM   #4
rahnbo

I liked it but didn't like Burn Notice. It has that Psych and Boston Legal mash up feel to it.
rahnbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 12:29 PM   #5
john4200

I liked most of it, but there were a few things that were strange. The courtroom scene was just too wacky to believe, and not particularly funny either. And hiding a briefcase in pizza boxes in the oven? Who is that supposed to fool? Anyone thoroughly searching a room is going to look in the pizza boxes in the oven (as if it is common for people to store 3 large pizza boxes in a cold oven??)
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 01:41 PM   #6
nyny523
Oy

I really liked this - I hope it can hold up throughout the season!
Old 06-25-2011, 01:46 PM   #7
justen_m

I really liked it, but it did remind me of White Collar in quite a few ways.
justen_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 01:55 PM   #8
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

I get that! Come to think of it, the quirky "two guy" theme seems to be flourishing these days.
Old 06-25-2011, 02:23 PM   #9
justen_m

Yeah, totally like White Collar. Genius young dude that can do anything. A superior who is also awesome in his trade. Not an incompetent handler, but a seasoned pro with experience that can help out his younger genius dude. Same format, different setting. But it works. Same with In Plain Sight. Equal partners. Not just a single Einstein.
Old 06-25-2011, 02:47 PM   #10
ADG
Allan

Ridiculous premise with likable characters. Not bad for summer fare.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 02:49 PM   #11
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

I agree, Justen. So long as they maintain unique qualities, instead of becoming "me too" shows. It'll be interesting to see how creative they are in developing their own formula.
Old 06-25-2011, 02:51 PM   #12
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I just watched it and enjoyed it. It is on a SP now. Hope it maintains.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:59 PM   #13
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

Not sure if they can maintain the ruthless oneupmanship and snappy patter for more than a couple of episodes.
Graymalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:02 PM   #14
Beryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahnbo View Post
I liked it but didn't like Burn Notice. It has that Psych and Boston Legal mash up feel to it.
Agreed. I watch very few TV shows (mostly news and movies) but I do plan to watch Suits again.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:31 PM   #15
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

I give it a as well.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:33 PM   #16
justen_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by justen_m View Post
Yeah, totally like White Collar. Genius young dude that can do anything. A superior who is also awesome in his trade. Not an incompetent handler, but a seasoned pro with experience that can help out his younger genius dude. Same format, different setting. But it works. Same with In Plain Sight. Equal partners. Not just a single Einstein.
oh yeah for me.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:03 PM   #17
Wheens

Arnie Becker revisited?
Wheens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:26 PM   #18
cheesesteak
Meh.

I don't know. I'll give it a couple more weeks to grow on me. I didn't like any, not a single one, of the characters for the first half hour. They grew on me as the show progressed. I don't like lawyers shows at all but at least this one has comedic touches.

That law firm must have the worst personnel department this side of CTU. Nobody does a background check on whatshisname? Not with Harvard Law School? Not with wherever he went to college?

Hail Hydra!
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:34 PM   #19
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

I understand there isn't much warm-fuzzy character development (same as Burn Notice) but the dialogue is good. As ADG said, it's a ridiculous premise, so you must suspend disbelief.

In reality, any law firm is going to research up the yin-yan and totally vet any prospective associate, let alone a huge and prestigious law firm. And gone are the days when lawyers learn their craft by apprenticeship. Nevertheless, it is a humorous concept.

Hey, I enjoyed the Pilot, so that's 1 hour and 22 minutes of entertainment for me. More, if they can maintain.

Last edited by megory : 07-03-2011 at 09:11 AM.
megory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:20 PM   #20
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

I liked it. Not yet sure if we're supposed to like or dislike his boss.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:40 AM   #21
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

We enjoyed it, which means its likely due for cancellation any day now.

sushikitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:58 AM   #22
sean67854
Why?

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by sushikitten View Post
We enjoyed it, which means its likely due for cancellation any day now.

USA stuff tends to get longer runs than it would on other networks.

USA almost always hits it out of the park for me. Of all of the USA original shows, while I like some better than others, I can't think of one that I haven't liked enough to make a point of watching.

Xbox gamertag sean67854

sean67854 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:21 AM   #23
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

What are some other good USA shows? Only ones I remember watching are Monk, Psych and Suits.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:19 AM   #24
rahnbo

Silk Stalkings. More recently Covert Affairs.
rahnbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:49 AM   #25
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

Oh, I watch Covert Affairs. I was thinking that was on TBS.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:52 AM   #26
sean67854
Why?

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffer View Post
What are some other good USA shows? Only ones I remember watching are Monk, Psych and Suits.
The ones we watch are:
Burn Notice
In Plain Sight
Royal Pains
Suits
Covert Affairs
Psych
White Collar
Fairly Legal

And we'll be trying Necessary Roughness.

Some of those are better than others, but I think they're all at least as good as the stuff on the regular networks. I think most of them are better.

Xbox gamertag sean67854

sean67854 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:10 AM   #27
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I liked it. Typical USA Network fare, where you have to suspend belief. But that's ok. it was fun. The one thing that kind of irked me, but it's minor, was that the Unlawyer was so "in your face" toward his new boss and kept wanting to stick it to him. I don't care who you are, but if my new boss stuck his neck out for me like that, I think I'd show him a bit more respect. But I think that it makes the show fun, so I can get past it.

I think USA Network more consistently puts out shows I like more than any other network. Outside of the CSIs, we probably watch just about all of them and enjoy them. I never got into Psych, but I go back on USA to watching The 4400. Always entertaining and fun, even shows in genres that I generally don't like.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:41 AM   #28
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by justen_m View Post
You'll like this: http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment...usa_shows.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
That law firm must have the worst personnel department this side of CTU. Nobody does a background check on whatshisname? Not with Harvard Law School? Not with wherever he went to college?
This was my problem. It's not even that they didn't check with Harvard. It's that he would have to pass the bar (as himself) in order to be employed as a lawyer, and he has to be a graduate of an accredited law school in order to sit for the bar. So basically, the boss is in danger of losing his own license because he's aiding someone in the unauthorized practice of law. Seems like they could have easily gotten around this by simply using the explanation that the rookie is still waiting for the state bar to process his application and he's going to work under the boss until it's approved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by megory View Post
In reality, any law firm is going to research up the yin-yan and totally vet any prospective associate, let alone a huge and prestigious law firm. And gone are the days when lawyers learn their craft by apprenticeship. Nevertheless, it is a humorous concept.
Actually, it depends what you mean. Most law schools do a very poor job preparing their graduates to actually practice law. Law schools are much more about the theory and teaching students "how to think like a lawyer." But learning how to actually practice law (write motions, perform legal research, communicate with clients and opposing counsel, courtroom procedure) is typically learned on the job, not in law school.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:21 PM   #29
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
You'll like this: http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment...usa_shows.html

This was my problem. It's not even that they didn't check with Harvard. It's that he would have to pass the bar (as himself) in order to be employed as a lawyer, and he has to be a graduate of an accredited law school in order to sit for the bar. So basically, the boss is in danger of losing his own license because he's aiding someone in the unauthorized practice of law. Seems like they could have easily gotten around this by simply using the explanation that the rookie is still waiting for the state bar to process his application and he's going to work under the boss until it's approved.

Actually, it depends what you mean. Most law schools do a very poor job preparing their graduates to actually practice law. Law schools are much more about the theory and teaching students "how to think like a lawyer." But learning how to actually practice law (write motions, perform legal research, communicate with clients and opposing counsel, courtroom procedure) is typically learned on the job, not in law school.
I think the premise would have worked better if the lawyer WAS the boss of the firm. At least if he ran the firm, he could have circumvented the background check rules and it would have been more plausible. The "Brackman" (for those who used to watch LA Law, Brackman was the partner who managed the firms day to day ops) like lawyer, seems so straightlaced that there would have been no way that anyone would get hired without any kind of background check. Me thinks that eventually he'll catch on.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:40 PM   #30
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Another issue I had with the casting: Gina Torres is three years older than Gabriel Macht. But the character played by Gina Torres was supposedly in enough of a position of authority in the firm that when the Gabriel Macht character started in the mail room, she spotted his potential, paid for him to go to law school, hired him, and now made him a senior partner. Wouldn't she have to be more like 15-20 years older than him for that to make sense?