TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-08-2012, 10:17 PM   #1
astrohip
Stuart F

Nurse Jackie: Season 4 Thread (2012)

Good start to the season. I thought last season (S3) was the weakest one so far, with Jackie becoming a very unsympathetic character. Which made it challenging to watch, or care about her.

This season is already off to a better start. Be interesting to see how rehab goes. And Akalitus will be working the floor. That should be worth the price of admission alone.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:12 AM   #2
crazywater
USS TiVo NCC-1780

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Good start to the season. I thought last season (S3) was the weakest one so far, with Jackie becoming a very unsympathetic character. Which made it challenging to watch, or care about her.

This season is already off to a better start. Be interesting to see how rehab goes. And Akalitus will be working the floor. That should be worth the price of admission alone.
I've never found easy to be sympathetic or care about her. Glad to see her finally getting what she deserves. And finally her husband knows the truth.

HR20-700
HR22-100
HR24-500
Pioneer DVR-810H
Sony SVR-3000 235hr
crazywater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:04 PM   #3
KRS
Mmm...invisible cola

Spoiler:
The hospital having new owners is an interesting dynamic for the show.

I thought the time in rehab could have been done a lot more interestingly. And I did not like how she ratted out both the green haired kid and Kelly Slater (is this a surfing reference?). At least she fessed up to the kid in rehab, but to get Slater into that much hot water rather than talking to him directly was pretty awful. Especially since she was right there with him stealing stuff from the hospital. He was not one of the inner circle who knew what Disneyland was after all.

Watching the two girls playing a dance game on the Wii with headphones on was weird. I said to my wife "why are the kids wearing headphones to play that game," and she wisely replied "so they can have this scene."

Sorry, I did not know that On Demand had unaired episodes. Watched three episodes from S4. Spoiler tags added.
O RLY?

360: Bees Tea Boys
Wii: 6028 2014 9605 5661

Last edited by KRS : 04-13-2012 at 08:33 AM.
KRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:47 PM   #4
john4200

KRS:

I think you are talking about episodes that have not officially been broadcast yet. I don't think being available on-demand counts, according to TCF rules (correct me if I'm wrong)
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:53 AM   #5
mcb08
Hoya for life!!

He must be, because I have no clue what he's talking about Please delete/add spoiler tags.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:55 AM   #6
tiassa
Me --Avatar

I agree, please spoilerize
tiassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:21 PM   #7
voripteth
User Advocate

And the kids were clearly using a Kinect on Xbox, not a Wii.
voripteth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:50 PM   #8
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
KRS:

I think you are talking about episodes that have not officially been broadcast yet. I don't think being available on-demand counts, according to TCF rules (correct me if I'm wrong)
I'm glad it's him and not me. I kept thinking, "what did I miss, how do I not remember that?"

There are no official rules for season threads, but the unofficial ones are you can post anything from any episode that has aired in a normal fashion in the US. VOD, torrents, sneaks, etc are not allowed. At least until they air.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:33 PM   #9
mcb08
Hoya for life!!

That's a good point. A mod should update the sticky to include season threads.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:42 AM   #10
astrohip
Stuart F

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...tml?ref=topbar
Quote:
"Nurse Jackie" has been renewed for a Season 5. Showtime is bringing back the Edie Falco-fronted comedy, but with some changes.

Former "Dexter" executive producer/showrunner Clyde Phillips will takeover as showrunner of "Nurse Jackie."

“Clyde brings a unique combination of skills in both comedy and drama, and he is a master at making entertaining and compelling television,” said David Nevins, president of entertainment at Showtime, said in a statement. "We are so thrilled with the series' performance this year, and we know that with the incomparable Edie Falco in front of the camera, the fifth season of 'Nurse Jackie' will be even better.”

Now in its fourth season, "Nurse Jackie" is averaging 2.77 million viewers (including On Demand, replays and DVR viewing), according to Showtime. The Season 4 premiere had 1.1 million viewers.

Season 5 of "Nurse Jackie" will begin production in late 2012.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:46 AM   #11
astrohip
Stuart F

And another take on it...

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-wat...ter-showrunner

Quote:
Showtime has renewed "Nurse Jackie" for a fifth season, and has hired former "Dexter" showrunner Clyde Phillips to take over as the new boss.

"Jackie" co-creators Liz Brixius and Linda Wallem are departing after running the Emmy-winning dramedy since the first season, and Phillips is an interesting replacement choice with some clear pros and cons. On the plus side, he's a seasoned veteran who has worked in both comedy ("Parker Lewis Can't Lose" is my favorite of his work on that side of things) and in dramas, and should hopefully be able to balance the two sides of "Jackie."

On the minus side, as good as many stretches of his "Dexter" run were, that show under his watch (and under the watch of his replacements) was terrified to change anything significant. Now he comes to "Jackie," which for its first few seasons was another poster child for how Showtime series prefer to run in place rather than shake up the status quo. New Showtime president David Nevins apparently had a come to Jesus conversation with Wallem and Brixius before this season, and the show (which I've been watching, but not writing about on a weekly basis) has been vastly improved for forcing Edie Falco's Jackie to deal with the consequences of her actions, and for altering the relationships between many of the main characters. (My favorite of those: the taciturn Jackie and Merritt Wever's bubbly Zoey have become roommates.)

Will Phillips be willing to let "Jackie" keep growing and changing, or will the show return to the lather/rinse/repeat approach of previous seasons? What "Jackie" became this season made me glad Showtime renewed it (even if "United States of Tara" went away in the bargain), but I'd hate for this season to turn out to be an aberration.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:08 PM   #12
astrohip
Stuart F

Great ending to the season. First season I've enjoyed in at least two years.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:34 AM   #13
john4200

Yes, good season and good ending. Although I was kind of expecting something to happen to "god" there at the end, fall through the roof or something. Wasn't there supposed to be a problem with the roof?
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:30 AM   #14
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Great season but since when is this show's season only 10 episodes instead of 12? Did we know this before?
Old 06-19-2012, 02:40 PM   #15
MegaHertz67
Registered Smart Ass

I like Jackie when she is full of fight. Last season when she was the victim, it seemed to neuter the show's energy. Everything was happening to and around Jackie instead of Jackie making everything happen. This season she regained her footing and became a force again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
Yes, good season and good ending. Although I was kind of expecting something to happen to "god" there at the end, fall through the roof or something. Wasn't there supposed to be a problem with the roof?
The problem with the roof was the electrical wiring was causing problems with the power tools. Like the nail gun that went off without being operated.

As long as god didn't use the electricity, he would be safe. I liked his Vitruvian Jackie, but it looked like it was painted on a big cloth. I thought he was doing chalk on the sidewalk out front.

“Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.”
-- John F. Kennedy
MegaHertz67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:41 PM   #16
MegaHertz67
Registered Smart Ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshopgrl View Post
Great season but since when is this show's season only 10 episodes instead of 12? Did we know this before?
I was disappointed it was over so quickly. Especially since the last two episodes were so good.

“Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.”
-- John F. Kennedy
MegaHertz67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:11 AM   #17
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

So yeah, this season was awesome. The finale was stressful. I want to like Dr Cruz and technically he was not wrong to fire Gloria or Eddie. At all. Yeah, he's an ass but he did try it her way for awhile. His biggest flaw IMO was his lack of attention to his kid. I was so sad to see Charlie go because I liked the character. If Cruz is back next season, what does that mean for all those fired right now, including Jackie? I'm curious where this will go so I'll definitely be tuning back in. I was thinking of giving up after last season so I'm really glad I didn't.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:38 AM   #18
robojerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshopgrl View Post
I was thinking of giving up after last season so I'm really glad I didn't.
I was thinking the same thing. I did a marathon of this season (now that normal TV is a vast wasteland) and found myself to actually enjoying it more than I thought and not due to just poor expectations.
If Cruz is still there next season, Gloria and Eddie will probably still be gone as Cruz had every right to fire them. Jackie has the potential to fight for her job back, he had nurses under staffed to the point where it may have violated their union contract. Her hiring temps was wrong, but could at least be justified and since he had a heart attack she could at least make the excuse that there was no one there to tell her no.