TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-31-2012, 04:52 PM   #1
avg99

Xbox beats tivo to amazon prime instant video!

Had really hoped to see TiVo push out a app for TiVo prime video this is my second year as a prime member with no luck from TiVo, I guess looking forward to a spotify app anytime soon is a waste of hoping also
avg99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:33 PM   #2
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

>"Xbox beats tivo to amazon prime instant video!"

This should come as a surprise to nobody.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:02 PM   #3
avg99

True it's just simply so frustrating blockbuster for what it was worth got dropped and then we end up with useless Hulu+, and believe as far as I'm concerned amazon prime is not the be all it's just the matter of fact like spotify how nice to have that as a option and it's not like they can't do it or don't know how???

This company seems to be trying to sell out to the cable companies and screw it loyal subscribers most of which have been along for the ride happily paying since the
series 1.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:26 PM   #4
Chris Gerhard

I will assume Amazon worked with Sony to enable Amazon Prime Instant Video on the PS3 and worked with Microsoft to get the XBox 360 to stream the service. All of the complaints I have seen about the service not being available on TiVo but there is not one shred of evidence I have seen that would indicate this has anything whatsoever to do with TiVo. If anybody knows Amazon is ready to add the TiVo Premiere to the list of supported devices but it hasn't been done because of something TiVo isn't doing, go ahead and present your case. I start with the assumption this is up to Amazon and TiVo has little or no control.

Of course TiVo has a small fraction of the units in service compared to the PS3 and XBox 360 and the reason TiVo doesn't yet support the service may be very simple.
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:58 PM   #5
avg99

Here the response I recv'd from amazon it appears the ball is in TiVo court:

I am really sorry that currently the TiVo is not compatible with the Prime Instant Video streaming service.

TiVo owns exclusive rights to the software that would make it possible for us to provide steaming content on that device. We would love to have Prime Instant Videos on all compatible devices. Hopefully with enough team work we can make this happen one day.

At this time we do not have any information nor can we speculate if or when Prime streaming would be available on the TiVo.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:05 PM   #6
aaronwt
HD Addict

I see they also updated the Roku2 Amazon app today.
At least there are no audio problems form the Amazon App on teh Roku like ther eis on the 360(at least there was on the first day it was available. I haven't tried it again yet to see if they fixed the audio problem where they were sending stereo audio in a 5.1 wrapper. The asme issue the PS3 Amazon app has(I haven't checked that lately either to see if they fixed it))
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:14 PM   #7
stlbluesfan74
Mike

I think it will eventually happen. We just have to be patient.
stlbluesfan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:17 PM   #8
MikeMar
Go Pats

I'd say that Microsoft or Sony is a LOT bigger than Tivo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:25 PM   #9
brentil

The Xbox Amazon app is Prime ONLY which is the exact opposite of the TiVo Amazon which is purchase/rental only. I've been using the Xbox one off and on now and it is nice, but I miss being able to actually rent shows that I can't watch in Prime.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
brentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:51 AM   #10
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentil View Post
The Xbox Amazon app is Prime ONLY which is the exact opposite of the TiVo Amazon which is purchase/rental only. I've been using the Xbox one off and on now and it is nice, but I miss being able to actually rent shows that I can't watch in Prime.
Thats interesting So the PS3 is the only console then with Instant Video and Prime
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:45 PM   #11
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by compnurd View Post
Thats interesting So the PS3 is the only console then with Instant Video and Prime
You can play purchased content from other devices with the Amazon app, but all the streaming devices are limited to 720P while the TiVo can download and play 1080P24 content.
I don't know about rental content since I typically watch TV shows from Amazon which is purchase only.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:58 PM   #12
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentil View Post
You know, I hadn't noticed that until you pointed it out. I think that makes the Xbox player unique--the PS3 player and the players in my BD players can browse the full Amazon streaming library and be used to rent things. Since it can play things that you own, I assume that anything that you rented using another device would temporarily show up in that list and could be played on the Xbox.

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill

Last edited by mikeyts : 06-04-2012 at 10:22 PM.
mikeyts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:10 AM   #13
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyts View Post
You know, I hadn't noticed that until you pointed it out. I think that makes the Xbox player unique--the PS3 player and the players in my BD players can browse the full Amazon streaming library and be used to rent things. Since it can play things that you own, I assume that anything that you rented using another device would temporarily show up in that list and could be played on the Xbox.
It seems like alot of the titles are not available on the 360 yet. I keep getting messages saying they will be available by the end of July on the 360.
These are titles that I purchased in the past. So I'm guessing you won't be able to purchase them on the 360 until sometime before the end of July.

I always prefer to purchase content on the 360 since the cost is much, much less for me with MS points. Since I typically pay $10 to $14 for 1600 point cards depending on the sale price at the time. Combine my MS points being purchased on sale, and when MS has a sale on titles and lowers the points required for purchase and I save even more.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:32 AM   #14
rainwater

The Xbox app is strange. You can rent movies and watch it on the Xbox but you have to rent it from the Amazon website. You can't do any renting/purchasing from the app itself. That seems quite limited.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:57 PM   #15
rjonas1

I installed the Xbox app on Sunday.. I actually like the browsing and was pleasantly surprised at how fast the streaming started (as compared to using the Amazon app on my Sony TV). Looking forward to playing around with it this weekend when I get home.
rjonas1 is offline   Reply With Quote