TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-01-2012, 07:29 PM   #1
mrdazzo7

"Breakout Kings" season 2 finale - 4/29/12

No love for the Breakout Kings, huh?

Got into this show when I came across a marathon a couple of months ago and saw T-Bag... Caught up on season one before two started and enjoyed the crap out of it. I think they do a good job blending the case-of-the-week stuff (which is better than most shows COW stories) with the over-arcing character stories... This season was much better having Damian lurking as a season-long villain. I like the way that played out and put Lloyd in the position it put him in.

I thought the finale was awesome--pulled together pieces from all throughout the season and paid them off in ways I thought were cool. I really didn't expect Ray to push Damian off the roof, and I think the way the ended the season--with the Cons given the chance to get out of jail free if they rat Ray out--was awesome. Lots of conflict...

Can't wait for next season (assuming there is one... which I am...)
Old 05-01-2012, 07:45 PM   #2
justen_m

I like this show a lot. I have a crush on bad-ass Erica (Serinda Swan's character).

Damian was a pretty good bad guy to play against Lloyd. I admit I was surprised when Lloyd got taken as he walked out of the library. And that they came out and said Lloyd watched the girl die.

OTOH, I _was_ totally expecting Damian to take a header off the roof. I thought it would set up a situation of the cons vs Ray, to see where loyalties lie. I hope it comes back. It would be fun to have Mad Max somehow escape yet again (would that make #4?) and appear for an episode, perhaps after becoming more unhinged after his near death at the hand of Lloyd/Ray.
justen_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:55 PM   #3
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justen_m View Post
OTOH, I _was_ totally expecting Damian to take a header off the roof.
I think he was, too. And when it didn't happen, he worked harder to make it happen.

A little odd that he gave up the girl first, because it would be much more in character for him to let them suffer her death. But it's not that kind of show, so...
Old 05-01-2012, 08:15 PM   #4
mrdazzo7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
I think he was, too. And when it didn't happen, he worked harder to make it happen.

A little odd that he gave up the girl first, because it would be much more in character for him to let them suffer her death. But it's not that kind of show, so...
I thought so too...they built him up as enough of a psycho that nothing on the planet but Lloyd doing what he said would convince him to give her up, but I think when it came down to it, he believed Ray would really kill him and that wasn't something he was ready for... he doesn't (didn't) want to die, bottom line...

probably should have left out the Charlie-under-my-fingernails comment then.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:36 PM   #5
justen_m

I think Damian wanted to die at that point, hence the Charlie-under-my-fingernails comment. He was still playing the team to get them to do what he wanted. They did, he died. I admit, I shouted, in real life, "YES!" when he got dumped over the edge. To me, that makes this a kick ass show.
justen_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:40 PM   #6
mrdazzo7

Quote:
I think Damian wanted to die at that point, hence the Charlie-under-my-fingernails comment. He was still playing the team to get them to do what he wanted. They did, he died. I admit, I shouted, in real life, "YES!" when he got dumped over the edge. To me, that makes this a kick ass show.
Yeah but then why give them Theresa's location? Why not let Ray kill him with her death being his last **** you to Lloyd and the rest of the team. I think after he told them where she was and Ray let up, he thought he was safe--I think he underestimated the fact that Ray would still kill him even without Theresa in the balance.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:48 PM   #7
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdazzo7 View Post
Yeah but then why give them Theresa's location? Why not let Ray kill him with her death being his last **** you to Lloyd and the rest of the team. I think after he told them where she was and Ray let up, he thought he was safe--I think he underestimated the fact that Ray would still kill him even without Theresa in the balance.
No, I think he was committing suicide by cop (there was no longer any escape, and he didn't want to go back to prison), and the reason he saved Theresa was because and only because it's not that kind of show, and the writers couldn't get out of that corner without forcing Damien to break character.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:18 AM   #8
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

Solid finale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:23 AM   #9
Amnesia
The Question

Quote:
I admit, I shouted, in real life, "YES!" when he got dumped over the edge.
Really? I shouted "What?!?"

I wasn't expecting that at all.
Amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:26 AM   #10
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia View Post
Really? I shouted "What?!?"

I wasn't expecting that at all.
Me neither, which is why I was glad it happened.

Too many cop shows (well, not The Wire of course) avoid the worst-case scenario to maintain the main character's integrity.

My blog:
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:22 AM   #11
cheesesteak
Meh.

They cons can just say that Damian fell out of Ray's grasp.

Shea actually did something useful in this episode when he threatened the guy to not mention Erica to the feds. He doesn't even get to chase bad guys down when they run down the street. Erica does all the physical work.

Brooke Nevin (Julliane) is one seriously hot woman.

I grew to like this show more and more as it went on. One thing I didn't think was done too well was that the escaped cons were exceedingly idiotic in that they started dropping bodies 15 minutes after they broke out of prison. Why call more attention to yourself? Just run.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts

Last edited by cheesesteak : 05-03-2012 at 07:28 AM.
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:46 PM   #12
MikeMar
Go Pats

If they keep harping on the trajectory, wouldn't that line up if he was standing there and jumped/pushed off himself?

Great final 2 eps though. Kinda like a Se7en type plot going on there for a bit.

MikeMar is offline   Reply With Quote