TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-21-2012, 05:35 PM   #1
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse

Location: We would like tin but for the golden glade. Do not take risks that you cannot return to the encapsulation. Margaret has not the stranding.
Does FOX SPORTS draw strongly with its lips on an unspecified object?

That's the closest I've ever come to using a certain expression.

Today, I'm watching my local baseball team play on our Fox station.

Suddenly, they go split-screen.

Seems that in Seattle, a White Sox player is about to (possibly) pitch the 20th perfect game in regular season history.

They cut off the audio to our game, and all you can hear is the Seattle announcers.

Then, the local screen vanishes and they go fullscreen to Seattle.

I have no idea what's going on with our local game.

It's not being carried on any other channel, naturally.

Sure, the guy did get the 20th perfect game ever in regular season history. But I was watching our local game.

If Fox Sports was a person, would I be out of line to be curious about how it'd look if that person were driven down by a Mac truck?

Oh...

Now they've gone back to our game.

The losing team has somehow gotten several runs in the last few minutes, and it's on the verge of changing from our boys being far ahead to the game being tied.

We missed all the runs scored that led to this.

Yes.

Fox Sports draws strongly with its lips on an unspecified object.

Old 04-21-2012, 05:48 PM   #2
bc0312

To be fair...It was 9-1 when they cut out of the game for the final 2 outs.
bc0312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:10 PM   #3
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
If my local game was 9-1 and they cut to cover that historic (and RARE) of an event, I wouldn't have any problem with that if they cut for a couple of outs and got back to my game. If my game happened to have that big of a comeback, it would suck, but I wouldn't blame Fox for doing what they did.

Of course, it wouldn't be the first time, either, that the Twins blew a decent lead in recent years.
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:36 PM   #4
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Just be happy your team made a comeback and won the game.

Can't blame FOX for thinking it was over before it was over. That happens in baseball. I left a game early once (to beat the traffic) because I thought there was no hope in winning. Listening to the game on the radio during the drive home, I realized I made a big mistake.

Or maybe, because it's early in the season they figured the no hitter was "more newsworthy" than one game that may not be a deciding factor as to who goes to the World Series.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:15 PM   #5
Kablemodem
Get the ketchup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post

Fox Sports draws strongly with its lips on an unspecified object.
I hate when people chew the erasers off pencils.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:18 PM   #6
marksman
ID-10-T

I can't imagine being upset about being taken out of a run of the mill April game to be shown a perfect game even if the lead changed or the game became close.

I would be placing my lips on their cheeks thanking them for including me in history.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:49 PM   #7
Barmat

20th Ever!!!!!! In The History Of Baseball!!!!!!
Barmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:24 AM   #8
rifleman69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barmat View Post
Don Larsen weeps.
rifleman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:51 AM   #9
Mars Rocket
Loosely wound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barmat View Post
That's like one every 5 years or so, isn't it? Rare, but not all that rare.

It's happened a dozen times since I started watching baseball as a kid.
Mars Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:11 AM   #10
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

I'm with you, that would suck.

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:29 AM   #11
midas
I heard that

According to the math, it happens once in every 38,095 pitcher starts. Seems pretty rare to me.

Odd though the frequency lately. 4 of them in the last 3 years. Before that, only 17 in 128 years. Anti-steroid era anyone?

Still, it's one of the most exciting things in baseball.
midas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:47 AM   #12
Mars Rocket
Loosely wound

Quote:
Originally Posted by midas
According to the math, it happens once in every 38,095 pitcher starts. Seems pretty rare to me.

Odd though the frequency lately. 4 of them in the last 3 years. Before that, only 17 in 128 years. Anti-steroid era anyone?

I think Richard Dawkins looks at this in one of his books. He was trying to explain the decline of .400 hitting and concluded that the pitching has improved faster than hitting over the past 100+ years.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:52 AM   #13
Mars Rocket
Loosely wound

Quote:
Originally Posted by midas

With a minimum of 4,860 starts per year you reach that number quicker than you might think. Yes, it's exciting, and fun to watch, but it's just not as rare as they make it out to be.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:31 AM   #14
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars Rocket

With a minimum of 4,860 starts per year you reach that number quicker than you might think. Yes, it's exciting, and fun to watch, but it's just not as rare as they make it out to be.
That's about once every 8 years. Sounds pretty rare to me. You have an odd sense of rare.

As for the switch, Fix did the right thing. They are not local. They are a national network and should show the game of historical significance.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:36 PM   #15
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

We're watching the Yankee/Red Sox game now on Roku- finally get to see how it went down
Old 04-22-2012, 07:57 PM   #16
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse

Location: We would like tin but for the golden glade. Do not take risks that you cannot return to the encapsulation. Margaret has not the stranding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bc0312 View Post
To be fair...It was 9-1 when they cut out of the game for the final 2 outs.
That's not the game I was watching. We were nowhere near the end of the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Just be happy your team made a comeback and won the game...
Never said they did. Never specified what game I was watching, or who won.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:03 PM   #17
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
...They are not local. They are a national network and should show the game of historical significance.

They were showing the game for our local team, rather than the Mariners/WhiteSox game. I could see them showing highlights of the event AFTER the local game was over, but what's the point of following a game for your local team if it can be yanked away from you at any second for a completely unrelated game?

Might was well "watch" it on radio.

Your logic is lacking here.

Fox blew it.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:05 PM   #18
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof

They were showing the game for our local team, rather than the Mariners/WhiteSox game. I could see them showing highlights of the event AFTER the local game was over, but what's the point of following a game for your local team if it can be yanked away from you at any second for a completely unrelated game?

Fox blew it.
No. Yours is. They are not obligated to show your local team. They show whatever game they want wherever they want. No rules like the nfl on local coverage.

They went to a historical event. It was not just any game.

This is like complaining that the news would break away from a local mayors race because the president was addressing the nation.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:21 PM   #19
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
No. Yours is. They are not obligated to show your local team. They show whatever game they want wherever they want. No rules like the nfl on local coverage.

They went to a historical event. It was not just any game.

This is like complaining that the news would break away from a local mayors race because the president was addressing the nation.
Right. I was watching for the coverage of the Yanks/Sox game. I was a bit disappointed that the coverage broke away during the rally but I get the significance. The chance for a perfect game supersedes a 9-1 blowout. Besides, they showed the grands slam in a summary recap.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:44 PM   #20
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:

Fox blew it.
"MLB on FOX" is a national broadcast, not local. It may have been your local team, but it was still a national broadcast.

Since you say you weren't seeing Mariners/White Sox, you must have been watching the Yankees @ Boston game - the same game everyone else in the country (except the Pacific Northwest, Chicago, and Alaska) was seeing. (FOX only had two games this week to broadcast.)

Given that, they're going to show what they believe is of most importance to the majority of the national audience. In this case, it's not going to be an average Yankees/Red Sox game, it's going to be one of only a handful of perfect games in MLB history, especially since at the time the Yankees/Red Sox game seemed to be a complete blowout.

Last edited by LoadStar : 04-22-2012 at 09:04 PM.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:47 PM   #21
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
That's not the game I was watching. We were nowhere near the end of the game.

Never said they did. Never specified what game I was watching, or who won.
The only two games the FOX network carried were Yankees @ Boston and White Sox @ Seattle. If you weren't watching White Sox/Seattle, you must have been watching Yankees/Boston.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:18 PM   #22
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
I would venture to say that between a Yankees/Red Sox (at the time 9-1 blowout) and the significance of a perfect game, Fox television probably felt they would serve a NATIONAL audience best by cutting to the perfect game over staying on the NY/Boston match up that they probably run every other weekend throughout the season anyway.
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:39 AM   #23
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

I can't tell you how much fun it was to rewatch the Yankee game on MLB TV knowing what was coming
When it got to the point that they had cut away all commentary and play by play stopped- there was some ambient crowd noise but just us watching the game in silence.
I kinda liked it.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:43 AM   #24
cheesesteak
Meh.

A grown man can't say "sucks"? It doesn't even have a sexual connotation any more in everyday usage.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:41 AM   #25
aindik

The stuff about a "national" audience kind of misses the point. Fox can choose, affiliate by affiliate, which games to show. They do that every week. Nothing stopped them from switching to the Mariners-White Sox game everywhere except New York and Boston.

I do think if Fox is going to usurp the right of the local Boston and New York channels to broadcast a game involving those teams, the game should be available uninterrupted to the fans in those markets.

It is funny that Fox time is the only time when there are games going on that you can't see no matter how much money you're willing to give MLB. In 2012, Fox and MLB need to get the "other" Fox games onto MLB.tv live. Figure it out with the affiliates to make sure I see the local commercials no matter which Fox game I'm watching.

Or Fox could have made the Yankees-Red Sox coverage available on a different channel for some short period of time. I'm sure MLB Network would have taken it if Fox didn't want to interrupt a channel they own like FX.
aindik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:36 PM   #26
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

I honestly thought the thread title was just a return to gibberish disguised as "poetry"...

Every time I'm drying off from a shower I think of my childhood buddy's father. - mcthumber
scooterboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:55 PM   #27
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

It's possible that gastrof was watching the game on his local FOX Sports regional station rather than on FOX proper, and that's why there's the confusion about what he was watching, and also the expectation that his local game would be shown in its entirety, since the FOX Sports regional networks are often broadcast partners of the local teams, and not contracted with MLB as a whole to cover the national scene.

Having said that, I'd still want to be taken live to a rare, historic event like that rather than watch my local team for an inning or two.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:59 PM   #28
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
It's possible that gastrof was watching the game on his local FOX Sports regional station rather than on FOX proper, and that's why there's the confusion about what he was watching, and also the expectation that his local game would be shown in its entirety, since the FOX Sports regional networks are often broadcast partners of the local teams, and not contracted with MLB as a whole to cover the national scene.

Having said that, I'd still want to be taken live to a rare, historic event like that rather than watch my local team for an inning or two.
"Fox Sports Net" doesn't exist in New York or New England.
aindik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:31 PM   #29
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

I don't see the importance of being taken immediately to the other game is when it's going to be the top sports news story for the next couple days with all the highlights and replays anyone could want.

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:34 PM   #30
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik View Post
"Fox Sports Net" doesn't exist in New York or New England.
gastrof never said he was in NY or NE. In fact, he specifically said that the Red Sox/Yankees game was not the local game he was watching. That's why I think he's referring to a regional FSN and not to the broadcast network.