TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-21-2012, 06:59 PM   #1
WhenenRome

TiVo shows Charter added new HD channels on the guide - only problem: no new channel.

So over the past few weeks, Charter Cable in Long Beach, CA (and I'm sure the whole greater LA region) has added several new HD channels. And of course, our Tivo premiere has notified us of the update and added the channels to the guide. And we're pretty happy about it, because Charter has long starved us of a good HD selection - and we had Fios where we used to live.

However, about 1/3 of the channels that were added to the program guide, when you select them, give you a black screen and/or an error message that the channel isn't available. I checked with Charter's website, and found that their pamphlet of the latest channels don't include the 9 "blank" HD channels still showing on my guide. So I explained the situation to the tech support chat on their website, who responded that their service does not feature these channels in HD. After pressing further, I found that she was simply looking the same online pamphlet that I just saw and relayed me the information. I asked her if these new channels were in the pipeline, and if that's why they were added to the guide. She said she didn't know, but would escalate the question.

So my question for the insightful users here is... Surely there must be a reason why these were added to the guide? TiVo doesn't just make these things up (the Charter tech, for a second, tried to claim it was an error on TiVo's end)... Is it likely that these channels were added to the guide, per Charter, inadvertently before they were made available in the line-up? Whatever take on this that can offered by others here, I'd really appreciate it!

And just in case that any other Charter / Tivo subscribers in my area happen to check here for this problem, here are the channels in question:

656 - Cooking Channel
657 - DIY
658 - says "Dest HD" but shows an icon for "Planet Green HD"
659 - We HD
660 - Biography HD
661 - H2 HD
662 - Investigation Discovery HD
726 - Hub HD
741 - Own HD

These were all added within the last 3 weeks, most recently two days ago.

Thanks again...
WhenenRome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:14 AM   #2
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Is it likely that these channels were added to the guide, per Charter, inadvertently before they were made available in the line-up?
This would be my guess. Charter simply jumped the gun on sending out the lineup change with those channels. It could also be that those channels will be available in a higher tier package in the future as well. In which case, they would show in your guide but not be available unless you had the appropriate package.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:46 PM   #3
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
This would be my guess. Charter simply jumped the gun on sending out the lineup change with those channels. It could also be that those channels will be available in a higher tier package in the future as well. In which case, they would show in your guide but not be available unless you had the appropriate package.
could be testing them before mapped to the boxes, or in a higher tier my provider Cox has a tier of mpeg 4 HD channels.
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:20 PM   #4
WhenenRome

Thanks for the responses! If it is on a higher tier or a new package, it evidently isn't available yet - at least not according to the Charter rep I chatted with. Her official answer was that these channels didn't exist (at least not as HD or on those numbers). But again, she was simply getting her info from the line-up list for my area... and didn't have any information beyond that. She suggested it was a Tivo error, or something that happened as a result of outages in my area. (I'm not sure which sounds more absurd!) Though she said she was escalating the question, I haven't heard anything yet... Not exactly holding my breath there!

I might shoot a message to Tivo just to see what their official take is on those. And I'll keep the channels in my guide in case they do actually start working soon... Thanks again for the feedback!
WhenenRome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:23 AM   #5
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhenenRome View Post
Thanks for the responses! If it is on a higher tier or a new package, it evidently isn't available yet - at least not according to the Charter rep I chatted with. Her official answer was that these channels didn't exist (at least not as HD or on those numbers). But again, she was simply getting her info from the line-up list for my area... and didn't have any information beyond that. She suggested it was a Tivo error, or something that happened as a result of outages in my area. (I'm not sure which sounds more absurd!) Though she said she was escalating the question, I haven't heard anything yet... Not exactly holding my breath there!

I might shoot a message to Tivo just to see what their official take is on those. And I'll keep the channels in my guide in case they do actually start working soon... Thanks again for the feedback!
Try going to http://www.charter.com/futuretv and download the lineup for your area to see if the new channels are coming.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:11 AM   #6
cptlapcat

June 12th

For what it is worth I just talked to Charter about my Tivo Elite not receiving some of the new HD channel updates and he said it should be all updated on or by June 12th.

He also said the the guide on the Charter DVR that was supposed to be updated last year should also be updated on June 12th.

I now have over 100 HD channels and I love my Tivo Elite with 4 tuners and 2 TB of storage and never miss a show. My wife complains about the Charter DVR storage and tuners but refuses to switch to Tivo.
cptlapcat is offline   Reply With Quote