TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-29-2011, 09:30 AM   #1
atmuscarella

TiVo & Kindle Fire Tablet

Ok I have never really gotten into the tablet scene but at $200 the Kindle Fire Tablet piques my interest.

Does anyone know if the current Android apps that work with TiVo will run on the Kindle Fire Tablet?

Given the expected sales volume of this tablet is there any chance TiVo will make something specifically for it?

Thanks,
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio

Last edited by atmuscarella : 09-29-2011 at 10:13 AM.
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:42 AM   #2
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
Ok I have never really gotten into the tablet seen but at $200 the Kindle Fire Tablet peeks my interest.

Does anyone know if the current Android apps that work with TiVo will run on the Kindle Fire Tablet?

Given the expected sales volume of this tablet is there any chance TiVo will make something specifically for it?

Thanks,
I've seen the Fire ads and web info although I also haven't really gotten into the tablet scene.

Costing 40% of what an Ipad 2 costs definitely gets my interest! If it actually sells as expected I would be surprised if TiVo doesn't do something for it.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:00 AM   #3
wkearney99
Bill Kearney

It's spelled 'piques' not peeks.

The downside to this is there's no cameras or mic input. So it's use as a more general purpose tablet is limited. As in, no replacement for grandma's kindle so they could Skype with their grandson.

I already have a Nook Color and while the Fire has twice the potential CPU power, it lacks removable storage. At least with the Nook I can pop in a 32gb microSD card and use it offline. When on vacation out of the US it can be a real problem using cloud or streaming services. So it's better to have at least the option of local storage for media files.

Now, if they had one with the same specs plus a front-facing camera and a microSD slot, priced around $250, I'd buy several of them right now, for personal use and for Xmas presents.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:02 AM   #4
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
I've seen the Fire ads and web info although I also haven't really gotten into the tablet scene.
I think I must be getting Alzheimer's, I looked at what I wrote new something was wrong but couldn't figure out what it was I have always had spelling/grammar problems but it sure feels like it is getting worse.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 09-29-2011, 10:26 AM   #5
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
the Kindle Fire Tablet piques my interest.

It's my understanding that normal Android apps should work, but they'd have to be submitted to/through the Amazon app store and the developer would have to take this screen resolution into account if they haven't already. We do know TiVo is working on their own Android app...

davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:38 AM   #6
Grakthis

So, we don't know if you will be able to sideload apps on the fire. My assumption is "no." Which means it would have to be an amazon market app to run on the fire. And it's not implausible that when Amazon gets their stuff together and releases an android app that it will be in the amazon store.

If TiVo is committed to mobile phone apps, it is logical to assume the Fire will run any android app they make. Now, if they are just making an android tablet app, then it's likely to be for 3.2 instead of 2.3 which would mean it would NOT run on the fire. I don't expect the fire to be upgrade-able to Ice Cream Sandwich when it comes out.

@wkearney99 - It has 8GB of local storage, which is plenty for books and a weeks worth of music. Movies become an issue, for sure, if you cannot access your US Amazon account. But this tablet isn't FOR that kinda of usage. And frankly, neither is your nook color. If you need something like that, get a Transformer which will do everything the fire does and give you a full range of storage options (virtually unlimited with USB) and a larger screen.
Grakthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:52 PM   #7
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Until the Fire is rooted, of course, which probably won't take long. Then you'll be able to load any apps you want on it, just like with the Nook Color.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:17 PM   #8
Grakthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Until the Fire is rooted, of course, which probably won't take long. Then you'll be able to load any apps you want on it, just like with the Nook Color.
Depends on the level of customization amazon put into the tablet.

It's possible they flat out removed the code necessary to do those things. At which point, you aren't just "rooting" the tablet, you'd have to load a whole new OS on it. Which, I am sure some clever person could take the Amazon source code, alter it to allow the things they want, and then distribute it as a custom build. The open source nature of Android makes this do-able.

But I am sure Amazon will take steps to try to prevent this or otherwise make it difficult.

We've seen phones that are locked into only a single build of Android and cannot be rooted.
Grakthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:04 PM   #9
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grakthis View Post
Depends on the level of customization amazon put into the tablet.

It's possible they flat out removed the code necessary to do those things. At which point, you aren't just "rooting" the tablet, you'd have to load a whole new OS on it. Which, I am sure some clever person could take the Amazon source code, alter it to allow the things they want, and then distribute it as a custom build. The open source nature of Android makes this do-able.

But I am sure Amazon will take steps to try to prevent this or otherwise make it difficult.

We've seen phones that are locked into only a single build of Android and cannot be rooted.
Once it's rooted, no one needs Amazon's source code. The processor used is the same used in many Android phones. It will not be difficult to make a ROM for it using Android's ASOP.

In any case all of this is irrelevant if TiVo put's the app on Amazon's Appstore. While the UI is customized, the backend is sure to be standard Android 2.3 since they are allowing their App Store app's on it.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:18 PM   #10
lrhorer

Quote:
I think I must be getting Alzheimer's, I looked at what I wrote new something was wrong but couldn't figure out what it was I have always had spelling/grammar problems but it sure feels like it is getting worse.
You mean you knew your Alzheimer's was causing new symptoms?
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:35 PM   #11
wkearney99
Bill Kearney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grakthis View Post
@wkearney99 - It has 8GB of local storage, which is plenty for books and a weeks worth of music. Movies become an issue, for sure, if you cannot access your US Amazon account. But this tablet isn't FOR that kinda of usage. And frankly, neither is your nook color. If you need something like that, get a Transformer which will do everything the fire does and give you a full range of storage options (virtually unlimited with USB) and a larger screen.
The Nook Color does a fine job of playing the videos I loaded onto several microSD cards. One other 32gb card has most of my mp3 tracks on it.

Why would I bother shelling out double for the Asus when the NC serves just as well? My point wasn't that there are other more expensive options available. My point was the Fire aims a bit too low with it's feature-set and thus won't be part of my purchasing choices.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:09 PM   #12
lrhorer

I can sum up my lack of desire for the product in four words:

It is too small.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 07:16 AM   #13
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Well, rumor is that they'll have a 10" version soon enough. The 7" version is perfect for portable reading which is why they went for it first.

Agree that if I wanted a portable video player, 7" is too small.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:34 AM   #14
jbernardis

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post

It is too small.
My thought exactly. I want one, but I want a 10" screen.
1 Win7 HTPC with Ceton Quad Tuner

jbernardis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:06 AM   #15
atmuscarella

Quote:

It is too small.
I guess it all depends on what you want it for.

I haven't figured out a reason to justify any tablet yet, but with something at this price point, that I believe will be well support, I might just buy it to see what I can do with. I have no desire to stream video on a tablet, I spent good money on a 50" plasma for that. If it had a good TiVo remote control app at least I would have something I could use it for.

Thanks,
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 09-30-2011, 11:14 AM   #16
rainwater

Quote:

It is too small.
It's perfect for reading books though. If you have ever used a E-ink Kindle, it is the same basic size.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:36 AM   #17
cowboyshootist

Quote:

It is too small.
Now that I have a Kindle I have to say that it is a good size for me. A 10" screen is nice for some things but for most of the stuff I have been doing I prefer the 7" screen of the Fire. It is definitely more portable and easier to handle than a 10" iPad.

The Fire does exactly what it's designed to do, read books/magazines, watch movies, play games. It is definitely a media consumption device and I think Amazon has done a good job of emulating Apple in that it's easy to get things from Amazon onto the Kindle.
cowboyshootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:57 AM   #18
Dan203
Super Moderator

I bought a Fire, had it for a few days and returned it. To me it was sluggish and way to heavy for its size. I ended up breaking down and buying an iPad 2 instead. The iPad is great. I barely even use my netbook any more. In fact I'm typing this post on my iPad right now.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:34 AM   #19
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
The Nook Color does a fine job of playing the videos I loaded onto several microSD cards. One other 32gb card has most of my mp3 tracks on it.

Why would I bother shelling out double for the Asus when the NC serves just as well? My point wasn't that there are other more expensive options available. My point was the Fire aims a bit too low with it's feature-set and thus won't be part of my purchasing choices.
I ordered a Pandigital Novel 7" Color Multimedia e-Reader/Tablet from Newegg that runs Android. It only cost me $70 and I plan on just running TiVo Commander on it. I still might get a Fire, but it will be a 9.7 inch one they plan on releasing next year.

Hopefully I'll have time to set up the Pandigital this weekend. I only plan on using it with my TiVos so hopefully it will work fine for just that application.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:36 PM   #20
Mammatus

Quote:

It is too small.

That's not what she said.
Mammatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:41 PM   #21
aaronwt
HD Addict

I guess if the rumors are true then Apple will being coming out with a smaller tablet later this year.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:52 AM   #22
wkearney99
Bill Kearney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammatus View Post
That's not what she said.
To you.... but to her friends... well...
Old 05-18-2012, 02:03 AM   #23
cowboyshootist

Quote:

It is too small.
That's a fair statement, although I have to say I have an iPad and the Kindle and I think the Kindle is a nice size for lots of things. The iPad is also good for lots of things too. There are times when the larger screen is needed and many times when it's not. I like the portability of the 7" screen over the 10" iPad. But the iPad has GPS and cellular wireless which I like too.

You really have to decide what you want to do with the device. The Kindle is not as full featured as the iPad but then it cost a lot less too.
cowboyshootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 02:18 AM   #24
nrc
Cracker Soul

The Fire is the perfectly sized for my needs. It's more convenient and portable than a full 10" tablet. I use it as an eReader and sometime web browser. For those functions it's excellent.

Not entirely square
nrc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:01 PM   #25
DocNo

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I guess if the rumors are true then Apple will being coming out with a smaller tablet later this year.
I wouldn't bank on it.
Tivo HD - On the way out the door
DocNo is offline   Reply With Quote