TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-30-2013, 12:10 AM   #1
reubanks

THD HDD Flaked... Fix was easy!

The 4 year old (upgrade) 2TB drive in one of my Tivos decided to stop working earlier this week.

I pulled the drive and ran Spinrite but it didn't find a problem. I reinstalled the unit and the Tivo would still not get past the initial "Starting" screen before endlessly rebooting.

I tried several different Kickstart codes but none of them would take. The system would just go back to a black screen and reboot. Oh well...

A different freshly imaged drive would work perfectly. (to verify it was the drive and not the MoBo or PS.)

So in an effort to get my recordings back I picked up a new drive from Newegg and ran WD Diags to verify it's a good drive. I then ran MFSCopy from within WinMFS to dupe the original drive contents to the replacement. It took over 8 hours, but once I installed the replacement 2TB drive, the Tivo HDXL was working again with all of the recorded programs there.

Now I guess it's time to wipe the old drive and re-purpose it.
1 HDXL w/WD20EADS and Lifetime
1 THD stock Lifetime. Smouldering wreckage...
reubanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 12:16 AM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubanks View Post
The 4 year old (upgrade) 2TB drive in one of my Tivos decided to stop working earlier this week.

I pulled the drive and ran Spinrite but it didn't find a problem. I reinstalled the unit and the Tivo would still not get past the initial "Starting" screen before endlessly rebooting.

I tried several different Kickstart codes but none of them would take. The system would just go back to a black screen and reboot. Oh well...

A different freshly imaged drive would work perfectly. (to verify it was the drive and not the MoBo or PS.)

So in an effort to get my recordings back I picked up a new drive from Newegg and ran WD Diags to verify it's a good drive. I then ran MFSCopy from within WinMFS to dupe the original drive contents to the replacement. It took over 8 hours, but once I installed the replacement 2TB drive, the Tivo HDXL was working again with all of the recorded programs there.

Now I guess it's time to wipe the old drive and re-purpose it.
You still haven't told me about the smouldering wreckage.
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 12:27 AM   #3
reubanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
You still haven't told me about the smouldering wreckage.
You never ASKED!!!

I picked it up from a forum member a while back as a project. The (original) HDD and Power Supply are good (as was a spare supply that was included...) but the MoBo seems to have a variation of "Flickering LED" syndrome. I never get any video (HDMI or Composite) and the only front LED that lights is the green one. It flickers, but ALMOST too fast to notice. I also swapped in a different faceplate to see if it might have been that. Nope, it's the MoBo.

Maybe once the holiday season is over I can pull out my O-Scope and other test gear and try to diagnose what's going on. I would be useful to have a working spare with Lifetime.
1 HDXL w/WD20EADS and Lifetime
1 THD stock Lifetime. Smouldering wreckage...
reubanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 11:18 AM   #4
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubanks View Post
You never ASKED!!!

I picked it up from a forum member a while back as a project. The (original) HDD and Power Supply are good (as was a spare supply that was included...) but the MoBo seems to have a variation of "Flickering LED" syndrome. I never get any video (HDMI or Composite) and the only front LED that lights is the green one. It flickers, but ALMOST too fast to notice. I also swapped in a different faceplate to see if it might have been that. Nope, it's the MoBo.

Maybe once the holiday season is over I can pull out my O-Scope and other test gear and try to diagnose what's going on. I would be useful to have a working spare with Lifetime.
Are you familiar with the site which may not be named here?

I think they've had discussions in the past about using the serial header on the HD motherboard, although that may require a little rewriting of the PROM, but one might be able to learn a bit about what still does or doesn't work via that port.

I've got a lifetimed HD XL with vertical and horizontal sync all out of whack that I hope to further explore one of these days.

And I did ask, recently, but I forget in which thread.
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote