TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-30-2012, 04:27 PM   #1
falcon26

Tivo stuck on "Almost their"

My Tivo has been stuck on the "Almost their just a few more minutes" for like an hour now. I tried unplugging it and restarting it and it has done the same thing. Just sitting their. Does this mean its getting a big update or is it something else?
falcon26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:02 PM   #2
steve614
what ru lookin at?

What model Tivo? Some models are starting to show signs of capacitor plague with the power supply.

Most likely the hard drive has died, but the power supply could also be suspect.

How do you feel about attempting the repair yourself?

Only basic skills are needed to "eyeball" the power suppy or change out the hard drive.

Edit: I forgot I was in the Premiere forum, so the power supply is less suspect.
Have you tried any of the kickstart codes?

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-kickstart-codes.php

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!

Last edited by steve614 : 04-30-2012 at 05:08 PM.
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:13 PM   #3
falcon26

Just got off the phone with tech support. She's dead Jim :-( And of course its not under warranty. So I have to get a new one. It lasted about 2 years. They sure do not make things to last anymore....
Old 04-30-2012, 05:19 PM   #4
steve614
what ru lookin at?

You must not have lifetime on that Premiere.
If you are paying monthly, that's probably the easiest way to go.

F*CK CANCER!
Old 04-30-2012, 05:23 PM   #5
falcon26

Yes its month by month.....
Old 04-30-2012, 06:01 PM   #6
MeInDallas

Try the kickstart code "pause 54" and test the hard drive and see if it passes. If it fails then you can replace the hard drive fairly easy. That is, if you wanna mess with it.
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:45 AM   #7
DonaldBurns65144

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
You must not have lifetime on that Premiere.
If you are paying monthly, that's probably the easiest way to go.
I don't believe lifetime gets you lifetime service. You still need to extend the warranty or pay. If HD is dead then you can buy a new harddrive on ebay and upgrade to 2TB vs. buying a new Tivo with a smaller drive.
DonaldBurns65144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:11 PM   #8
jrtroo
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon26 View Post
Just got off the phone with tech support. She's dead Jim :-( And of course its not under warranty. So I have to get a new one. It lasted about 2 years. They sure do not make things to last anymore....
Bad luck. You could try to fix it.

Hard drives fail, they all do at some point. Not sure who "they" are, but TiVo does not make the drive and the reliability of drives, overall, is improving over time.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:15 PM   #9
TerpBE
Go Terps!

If you use a slide remote or have anything else plugged into the USB, make sure you unplug it before rebooting. The slide dongle can cause it to freeze at the "Almost there" (not their) screen.
TerpBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:05 PM   #10
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldBurns65144 View Post
I don't believe lifetime gets you lifetime service. You still need to extend the warranty or pay. If HD is dead then you can buy a new harddrive on ebay and upgrade to 2TB vs. buying a new Tivo with a smaller drive.
It's understood that lifetime is only for the life of the Tivo it is attached to.

The point being, if the OP had lifetime on his Premiere, it would be worth trying to fix.

With a Premiere on a monthly subscription, you might as well just get a new one. Cost of new Premiere vs. cost of repair + your time, would probably be a wash.

F*CK CANCER!