TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-02-2012, 04:12 PM   #1
buffalomitch

Duplicate & replace HD on Tivo HD?

I have a TivoHD with a 160GB drive that is failing (I confirmed this with kickstart 54). I have a 1TB external drive attached.

Here's my dilemma: I have pre-paid one year of service which expires in October. If I buy a Premiere, the remainder of the contract cannot be transferred. I can buy a replacement TivoHD direct from Tivo for $79, but I'll lose the shows that are on there. If I upgrade the hard drive, I will lose the ability to use the external drive.

Therefore: Can I make an EXACT copy (clone) of the 160GB hard drive as a replacement and still be able to keep my shows AND use the external HD?

Thanks
buffalomitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:52 PM   #2
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalomitch View Post
I have a TivoHD with a 160GB drive that is failing (I confirmed this with kickstart 54). I have a 1TB external drive attached.

Here's my dilemma: I have pre-paid one year of service which expires in October. If I buy a Premiere, the remainder of the contract cannot be transferred. I can buy a replacement TivoHD direct from Tivo for $79, but I'll lose the shows that are on there. If I upgrade the hard drive, I will lose the ability to use the external drive.

Therefore: Can I make an EXACT copy (clone) of the 160GB hard drive as a replacement and still be able to keep my shows AND use the external HD?

Thanks
I've never used an external drive, but I believe it's been reported in this forum that an exact clone will still work with your external drive.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:28 PM   #3
mattack

If the Tivo MOSTLY works, you could ALSO use something like kmttg, and download the shows from your Tivo to a computer's drive.. then replace the drive(s), and transfer them back..

That would definitely work (for non copy protected shows).
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:46 PM   #4
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalomitch View Post

Thanks
Take a look at MFSTools.org and download the MFSTools iso to make a bootable CD. There is a tool on there called dd which should let you clone the drive. Having said that, why not just upgrade to at least a 1TB drive, then you won't need the external one. That external drive will fail eventually, and cause you to lose your recordings. As the prior poster said, you should transfer the programs to your PC while you can using the free SW.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:33 AM   #5
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by venusguy View Post
I ever tried to hook up a external hard drive to my tivo, but it did not work .
Was it a Western Digital 'My Tivo Expander'? If not, that's why.
You can't just use any ol' external drive you might have laying around.

Edit: Looks like I got caught quoting a potential spammer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!

Last edited by steve614 : 04-04-2012 at 06:42 PM.
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:51 AM   #6
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
Take a look at MFSTools.org and download the MFSTools iso to make a bootable CD. There is a tool on there called dd which should let you clone the drive. Having said that, why not just upgrade to at least a 1TB drive, then you won't need the external one. That external drive will fail eventually, and cause you to lose your recordings. As the prior poster said, you should transfer the programs to your PC while you can using the free SW.
Better yet go to mfslive.org and get the zip of the .iso for the MFS Live cd v1.4 and use

dd_rescue

off of it.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:25 AM   #7
buffalomitch

Yes, it is the Western Digital external drive...
buffalomitch is offline   Reply With Quote