TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-20-2012, 09:13 PM   #1
TZR916

Season Pass Newbie

Just got done setting up over 70 season passes. Set them all for "First-Run". Then went into "To Do List" and saw a whole bunch of stuff that wasn't really NEW episodes (like last week repeats at 1am stuff). It took me another few hours to clean all that stuff out. But I bet as each day passes the Tivo will automatically keep finding and adding more of these non-new episodes... and I will have to keep cleaning them out... and whenever I add a new season pass I will have to clean out two weeks worth of you know what.. etc...

Why isn't "First-Run" really first run???
TZR916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:30 PM   #2
mattack

It is.. But it considers (IIRC) within 14 days to be new.

That is useful so that if, e.g. you have a LOWER priority season pass for a show that REPEATS within the same week, your first run only season pass will still record.

If it only ever recorded the ABSOLUTE FIRST run, conflicts would be even more hellish than they already are.

Plus, if the shows have generic guide data (which it sounds like yours DON'T), the Tivo will record it, because the Tivo has no idea whether they are truly new episodes or not (even though us humans mean no guide data USUALLY means it's a rerun.. But since USUALLY is not 100%, we, including me, would be POed if it didn't record a new episode of something).
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:41 PM   #3
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
It is.. But it considers (IIRC) within 14 days to be new.
It's the 28 day rule.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:23 AM   #4
TZR916

Alright, guess I have to live with it.

About the Tivo website "Season Pass Manager". I have checked the privacy box and tells me to wait more than 24hrs for the settings to take. I have waited but every time I go back there, it wants me to check the privacy box again. So I can't use the website season pass manager.

Everything else on the site works: my to do list, my shows, my guide, 1 click stuff. And my iPad app even works for managing season pass (big time-saver).

Any trick to getting the website season pass manager to work?

Vista SP2 IE9
Old 03-21-2012, 05:56 PM   #5
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZR916 View Post
Alright, guess I have to live with it.
The good news is that most of that annoyance is an one time. Once Tivo records this week's episodes it won't consider next week's reruns of them to be "first run".

It's only because it didn't record last weeks episodes already that it's trying to record them again this week.

That said, there is still an annoying type of repeat where the guide data is so incomplete the TiVo will record the show again because it can't tell if it recorded that episode before. (Most commonly see on Comedy Centeral with The Daily Show). See this post for a workaround if you have any shows that end up with this behavior.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:46 AM   #6
TZR916

Quote:
...About the Tivo website "Season Pass Manager". I have checked the privacy box and tells me to wait more than 24hrs for the settings to take. I have waited but every time I go back there, it wants me to check the privacy box again. So I can't use the website season pass manager...

Any trick to getting the website season pass manager to work?

Vista SP2 IE9
Had to use FF browser. Got an auto email. Went back to site later and it was working.

BUT, I changed the priority of one season pass and that caused my Tivo to reboot (and I was recording a movie). When it came back up the season pass that I tried to move was still sitting at it's old position.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:58 PM   #7
sharkster

There are several shows I watch and just can't do it by Season Pass because the Tivo will pick up every rerun that airs. I don't know what that is about because the reruns are coded as such. So I just have to manually do them.

This was happening with my Series 2 Tivos and has happened with the new Premiere Tivos, with which I replaced the S2 boxes, so I guess it must be some weird cable guide glitch. It's a bit of a pain, though. Two of the shows I have to manually record are 4-day-a-week shows so I've just gotten into the habit of going in every week or so to make sure I don't miss any eps.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:00 PM   #8
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
There are several shows I watch and just can't do it by Season Pass because the Tivo will pick up every rerun that airs. I don't know what that is about because the reruns are coded as such. So I just have to manually do them.

This was happening with my Series 2 Tivos and has happened with the new Premiere Tivos, with which I replaced the S2 boxes, so I guess it must be some weird cable guide glitch. It's a bit of a pain, though. Two of the shows I have to manually record are 4-day-a-week shows so I've just gotten into the habit of going in every week or so to make sure I don't miss any eps.
That sounds a lot like the issue with Comedy Centeral's Daily Show (right down to the only airing 4 days a week)

Have you tried checking out the Tupper Method of using a wishlist to handle that automatically?

I also linked to it above. Tupper figured that 'trick' out specifically to deal with Daily Show's guide issues. I've got a version of it set up to deal with USA's Psych which had (has?) the issue of guide data going totally generic in its off season (resulting in unwanted recordings)

It would be a little bit of work to get set up initially, but then you don't need to remember to deal with it every week or so.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:56 AM   #9
TZR916

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S View Post
The good news is that most of that annoyance is an one time. Once Tivo records this week's episodes it won't consider next week's reruns of them to be "first run".

It's only because it didn't record last weeks episodes already that it's trying to record them again this week.

That said, there is still an annoying type of repeat where the guide data is so incomplete the TiVo will record the show again because it can't tell if it recorded that episode before...

I've still got tons of not first run shows in my to do list. Two examples- Mythbusters & American Chopper. These shows run mini-marathons of repeats from YEARS ago but my Tivo thinks they are new episodes and I end up having to manually delete them. They have full guide data with episode number, date, descriptions.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:47 AM   #10
Jonathan_S

Quote:
I've still got tons of not first run shows in my to do list. Two examples- Mythbusters & American Chopper. These shows run mini-marathons of repeats from YEARS ago but my Tivo thinks they are new episodes and I end up having to manually delete them. They have full guide data with episode number, date, descriptions.
I've seen a bunch of Mythbusters pop onto my ToDo list for 7+ days in the future; but always with generic guide data. Those all seem to go away as the guide data fills in closer to their airing date.

So I get temporary extranious listing in the todo list but I can't remember my TiVo actually recording an old episode of Mythbusters with my first run only season pass.

(Not sure what's happening with American Chopper, since I don't have a season pass for it.)
Old 05-02-2012, 11:53 AM   #11
TZR916

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S View Post
I've seen a bunch of Mythbusters pop onto my ToDo list for 7+ days in the future; but always with generic guide data. Those all seem to go away as the guide data fills in closer to their airing date.

This is for less than 7 days out and the guide data is not generic.

I've never left these in my To Do List, so I don't know if they would actually record or not. I always delete them (to aviod conflicts). Like when there is 8-10 episodes of Mythbusters back to back on Saturdays & Sundays.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:27 PM   #12
jrtroo
User

Wow, to each their own but you are really managing your to do list to a high degree. I trust the tivo to do its thing and delete things I don't want to view.

Since the episodes are more than 28 days old, the tivo views them as new. I have always supposed that is to be conservative to make sure things are captured as guide data is not always as good as it could be. It does not use the initial air date or similar fields.

I would recommend that something that is repeated often should get a lower season pass priority. The major networks should get a higher piriority since they do not tend to repeat episodes during the week.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:08 PM   #13
TZR916

Quote:
...you are really managing your to do list to a high degree. I trust the tivo to do its thing and delete things I don't want to view.
I don't like tying up tuners, using un-necessary processing power, and having un-necessary hard drive wear/tear.

Quote:
Since the episodes are more than 28 days old, the tivo views them as new.
Why? Who in their right mind thinks that a 28 day old show is "First Run"? This should be something I can turn off in options.

Quote:
It does not use the initial air date or similar fields.
What does it use then? It's like there's no difference between "First Run" vs "First Run & Repeat". It should use the little "NEW" icon that's on every guide indicating that its a actually NEW episode.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:26 PM   #14
jrtroo
User

FYI- The hard drive gets no additional wear and tear by recording, it will do that anyhow. It is not like an old vcr tape. Same thing with processing power and tuners- they are always used all the time regardless of a recording taking place or not.

28 days is their logic, which has been in place for a long time. New users tend to get used to this pretty quickly, and if you need to use a wishlist instead, then investigate the Tupper Method. The line needs to be drawn someplace, and they chose to hard code it to 28 days based upon their "right mind" opinion of balancing all of the different factors.

The NEW icon is flaky at best, and should not be used. That would caused missed recordings, which is much worse than having to simply delete a recording.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:55 PM   #15
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Why? Who in their right mind thinks that a 28 day old show is "First Run"? This should be something I can turn off in options.
To be fair to TiVo it's only first run if its 28 days old, never been recorded, and you've never manually canceled an airing of it.

(The idea is to try to catch a new episode that couldn't be recorded due to a conflict, the TiVo will just grab it if is comes on again in the few weeks.)

But unfortuantly that's a fixed setting, there isn't any place you can adjust the length. (28 days is also how long new airing of a recently recorded show is considered a "duplicate". If you had a pathological channel that ran the same episode of the Simpsons every day and you had a season pass set to "First Run and Repeats" it would record that episode every 29 days*)

*Unless the old copy was still in your now playing list. That would make it a duplicate until the old copy was deleted, no mater how long that might be