TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-16-2016, 02:37 PM   #1
JeffSimon

"Reconnecting" Series 2

I知 going to visit family for a few weeks over the summer and will be renting an apartment for a month while I知 visiting them. I知 looking to take a used TiVo with me to record over the air shows in my rental apartment.

My father in law has a Series 1 with Lifetime Service that he could give me and I have a Series 2 that is no longer active.

Since TiVo will no longer re-activate Series 2 under normal circumstances I was looking into using the 1 time transfer of service to move the Series 1 Lifetime to the Series 2. I found on a very old thread to mention code 09-07-04 to the agent but that was from 2006. Anyone know if TiVo will allow this or have any suggestions?

JeffSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 02:39 PM   #2
unknownpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffSimon View Post
I知 going to visit family for a few weeks over the summer and will be renting an apartment for a month while I知 visiting them. I知 looking to take a used TiVo with me to record over the air shows in my rental apartment.

My father in law has a Series 1 with Lifetime Service that he could give me and I have a Series 2 that is no longer active.

Since TiVo will no longer re-activate Series 2 under normal circumstances I was looking into using the 1 time transfer of service to move the Series 1 Lifetime to the Series 2. I found on a very old thread to mention code 09-07-04 to the agent but that was from 2006. Anyone know if TiVo will allow this or have any suggestions?
I haven't heard about a transfer for lifetime service. But if TiVo allows you to transfer it to a model newer than a Series 2, I'd forget about the Series 2 and buy a Roamio Pro for longterm use because now Lifetime Service is $599.99 so I would transfer it to a newer model.

unknownpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 03:01 PM   #3
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:

The 1-time grandfathered transfer is only for units activated before 01/01/2000
and I wouldn't waste that on an S2, I'd make it count on a Roamio.

Old 03-16-2016, 03:56 PM   #4
SomeRandomIdiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknownpa View Post
I haven't heard about a transfer for lifetime service. But if TiVo allows you to transfer it to a model newer than a Series 2, I'd forget about the Series 2 and buy a Roamio Pro for longterm use because now Lifetime Service is $599.99 so I would transfer it to a newer model.
Roamio Pro would not serve OP specs.

SomeRandomIdiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 04:06 PM   #5
schatham

It won't work over the air. Unless you have a converter box that Tivo can control.

schatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 05:07 PM   #6
unknownpa

Quote:

Why not transfer the service to a Roamio Pro and buy a series 2 with lifetime service for cheap on eBay? You could sell the roamio pro with lifetime service to make a pretty penny if you wanted to.

unknownpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 06:39 PM   #7
shwru980r

Try to transfer the S1 service to a Bolt. The bolt seems to be the best OTA Tivo.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 12:42 AM   #8
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
I think the cutoff date is 01/20/2000.

Quote:
and I wouldn't waste that on an S2, I'd make it count on a Roamio.
Agreed. That would be a complete waste of the lifetime. Transfer it to a new Roamio Pro or Bolt.

tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:51 PM   #9
unitron

It's not when you bought your S1, it's when you bought Product Lifetime Service for it that determines if you can do a one-time transfer of said service to another TiVo or not, and you have to have bought PLS on or before January 21, 2000.

( http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...00#post3850300 )

If in doubt, call TiVo CS or go online to the chat support and give them the TiVo's TiVo Service Number, which is on the sticker on the back where the power cord plugs in, and they should be able to tell you when the PLS was purchased.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:59 PM   #10
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
I think the cutoff date is 01/20/2000.
It was a long time ago and my memory isn't what it used to be, I was darn close however..

Old 03-19-2016, 04:28 AM   #11
unitron

Quote:
It was a long time ago and my memory isn't what it used to be, I was darn close however..
So you remember that your memory used to be better?

Can you be sure that you can trust your memory on that?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote