TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-23-2016, 07:37 PM   #1
HD_Dude
I Want HD in my Car

HBO Go SUCKS vs HBO Now

I was delighted to hear HBO Go was finally available on TiVo.

So happy? I cancelled HBO Now...called FIOS and added HBO to my subscription. BTW, I'm 75/75.

Tomorrow? I'll reverse it all.

I added HBO Go 4 days ago. I activated my TiVo. All was well, until 24 hours later when I was asked to 'activate my device' again.

And again.

And again.

HBO Now? Perfect. Never had those issues. I watch it on AppleTV and my NVidia Shield 4k STB.

Plus, even when I activated again on the TiVo? Buffering, slow, stutters...nothing like that with HBO Now.

Goodbye Go! Hello (again) Now!

TiVo Roamio Pro - City, with FIOS
TiVo Roamio OTA - Country, with Antenna
(2) TiVo Series 3 - OLED - Semi-Retired
Lifetime Service on All

HD_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 07:56 PM   #2
NashGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD_Dude View Post

So happy? I cancelled HBO Now...called FIOS and added HBO to my subscription. BTW, I'm 75/75.

I added HBO Go 4 days ago. I activated my TiVo. All was well, until 24 hours later when I was asked to 'activate my device' again.

And again.

And again.

HBO Now? Perfect. Never had those issues. I watch it on AppleTV and my NVidia Shield 4k STB.

Plus, even when I activated again on the TiVo? Buffering, slow, stutters...nothing like that with HBO Now.

Interesting. Aside from the issues above, what's your perception of HD picture quality for HBO GO vs. HBO NOW? Try watching something on HBO GO on your Apple TV or Nvidia Shield and see how you think that compares to how HBO NOW looked on the same device. I'm curious about this as I've never thought HBO GO looks as good as other streaming services -- Amazon, Netflix, even Hulu (at 720p and just 3.2 Mbps bitrate!) all look better to me than HBO GO. Although I will say that HBO GO on my Apple TV looks a little better than HBO GO on TiVo.

I've never tried HBO NOW but may do so in the future.

NashGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 02-23-2016, 08:22 PM   #3
HD_Dude
I Want HD in my Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashGuy View Post
Interesting. Aside from the issues above, what's your perception of HD picture quality for HBO GO vs. HBO NOW? Try watching something on HBO GO on your Apple TV or Nvidia Shield and see how you think that compares to how HBO NOW looked on the same device. I'm curious about this as I've never thought HBO GO looks as good as other streaming services -- Amazon, Netflix, even Hulu (at 720p and just 3.2 Mbps bitrate!) all look better to me than HBO GO. Although I will say that HBO GO on my Apple TV looks a little better than HBO GO on TiVo.

I've never tried HBO NOW but may do so in the future.
If there's a difference in picture quality, it's minor, at least in my home theater. AppleTV is very stable, looks great and never asks for a unnecessary activation.

But, HBO Go has issues. It often asks for a new activation, as I mentioned. It also forgets you've seen half an episode, and often doesn't give you the 'resume' option. Only plays from the start. Audio is good, picture looks on par with Now...but the whole experience is less stable - again, it buffers, stutters and stops.

If I leave the Roamio Pro and use the Samsung 4K TV instead? Same deal. Buffering, slow to load (if at all), with one difference - on the 4K Samsung, the picture is better by far. By miles. More clear, more colorful, better dynamic range...more vibrant.

But unfortunately, Samsung 4Ks only have HBO Go...not Now.

EDIT: Since writing the above note, now HBO Go will not load at all on the Samsung TV. Nothing. Speedtest.net has me at 83 Meg down. And everything is hardwired - no wifi.

Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, YouTube - all works, and all is in 4K even...but HBO Go...will not work.

See 'ya!

Lifetime Service on All

Last edited by HD_Dude; 02-23-2016 at 08:42 PM.
Old 02-23-2016, 08:49 PM   #4
TonyD79

Wow.

I've never had an issue with HBO go on any platform. I can see why you are unhappy.

Old 02-23-2016, 08:58 PM   #5
HD_Dude
I Want HD in my Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
Wow.

I've never had an issue with HBO go on any platform. I can see why you are unhappy.
Thanks.

I'll keep open the possibility that it's just having blips. So maybe a week.

We'll see.

Lifetime Service on All

Old 02-23-2016, 09:11 PM   #6
NashGuy

Trying to use HBO GO on Sunday nights, when new episodes of original series roll out, is the worst in my opinion. I only had one short buffering pause this past Sun night but I remember once just giving up and finishing a movie the next day. HBO NOW is built on the more reliable streaming platform of MLB. They should switch HBO GO over to the same platform because what they have now sometimes can't cope with demand.

Thanks For This Post:
Old 02-23-2016, 09:20 PM   #7
TonyD79

MLB does have a great platform. And PQ gets better every year. Still not up to cable/satellite HD level but better than SD. Almost there.

Old 02-24-2016, 09:16 AM   #8
dbtom

I think the issue is with the Tivo implementation of HBO Go and not HBO Go vs HBO now. Last night I tried to show my wife how cool it is to have HBO Go on Tivo and it said I needed to activate. A real pain, so I just forget it. I mainly use HBO Go on Xbox One and haven't had issues with reactivation.

With that said, I think this whole cable company "Go" authentication model is pretty poorly implemented and problematic. While I don't have to reauthorize on Xbox with HBO, it is a constant problem with Showtime, Starz and other "Go" channels. And why should I need to authorize these individual apps anyway? Please let me just log in once. There really needs to be a better way to do this...

dbtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:37 AM   #9
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbtom View Post
I think the issue is with the Tivo implementation of HBO Go and not HBO Go vs HBO now. Last night I tried to show my wife how cool it is to have HBO Go on Tivo and it said I needed to activate. A real pain, so I just forget it. I mainly use HBO Go on Xbox One and haven't had issues with reactivation. If this is a global problem (most people seeing it) then it certainly is a bug that needs to be fixed.

With that said, I think this whole cable company "Go" authentication model is pretty poorly implemented and problematic. While I don't have to reauthorize on Xbox with HBO, it is a constant problem with Showtime, Starz and other "Go" channels. And why should I need to authorize these individual apps anyway? Please let me just log in once. There really needs to be a better way to do this...
There is no way you should have to reactivate HBO Go each time you use it, if you do something is wrong. If a reboot doesn't fix it and you want to use it I would contact TiVo support and see if you can get it resolved. If this is a global problem (most people seeing it) then it is a bug that certainly needs to be fixed.

That said authentication through a Pay TV provider is everywhere, channels web sites, apps on various platforms, Hulu etc. From what I can see the process is somewhat clunky but for the most part works. I think of all the competing partners that had to agree to this and make it work with their systems and I am actually amazed it works as well as it does.

R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 10:02 AM   #10
Chris Gerhard

I have never subscribed to HBO NOW but I have been using HGO GO for over 2 years without issue. Primarily I access the service with Amazon Fire TV but I also own Apple TV and Roku. Since I access HBO GO through Comcast authentication, I can't even check to see if I can get it to work with TiVo.

Chris Gerhard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 10:10 AM   #11
mdavej

I've had to login a couple of times too. I attributed it to the app getting updated. I think we should give it more time before declaring it a bug.

mdavej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 03:41 PM   #12
schatham

You have hbo, fios and a Tivo. Why not just record off the hbo channels? At least for the new shows.

schatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 06:38 PM   #13
Johncv

Not going cross post, just let you know that the next TiVo update contains nothing but bug fixes. HBO Go is probably one of them.

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 02-24-2016, 06:39 PM   #14
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johncv View Post
Not going cross post, just let you know that the next TiVo update contains nothing but bug fixes. HBO Go is probably one of them.
TiVo can push out updates to HBO Go without a TiVo OS update. Unless they are fixing reboots, it is doubtful a TiVo OS update will fix most issues with HBO Go.

rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 07:22 PM   #15
tim1724

2 out of the 3 times I've used the HBO GO app on my Roamio I've had to go through the activation process. The current version of the app definitely has a bug where it forgets that it's activated sometimes.

Old 02-25-2016, 03:03 PM   #16
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:

And again.

And again.

I never had that issue during the four months I most recently had HBO on FiOS. Once I activated a device for HBO GO, it stayed activated. HBO Now is too expensive. I get HBO a few months every year from FiOS for under $10 a month. While HBO Now was $15 the last time I checked. I think the $10 a month is barely worth it.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 08:46 PM   #17
NashGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I think the $10 a month is barely worth it.
HBO isn't worth it to keep 12 months a year, IMO. They have a few good shows but honestly, I think Showtime, Netflix and Amazon Prime are eating HBO's lunch these days, and each at a lower monthly price.

Just read an interesting article about HBO's travails these days:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...stworld-868605

Old 02-25-2016, 11:46 PM   #18
trip1eX

Well Tivo apps never as good as on other devices in my experience.

trip1eX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 11:54 PM   #19
trip1eX

Quote:
HBO isn't worth it to keep 12 months a year, IMO. They have a few good shows but honestly, I think Showtime, Netflix and Amazon Prime are eating HBO's lunch these days, and each at a lower monthly price.

Vinyl definitely wasn't something that looked appealing. I didn't want to watch a generic version of what happened in rock n roll. So I haven't even taken a peak at it.

And the promos that I've seen are the same type of scenes that I've seen in movies too. Stereotypical stuff.

The youngsters that may be more unaware of the rise of rock n roll probably could care less about the subject matter. AT least that's my hunch.

Old 02-26-2016, 06:54 AM   #20
HD_Dude
I Want HD in my Car

Every.

Single.

Day.

Lifetime Service on All

Last edited by HD_Dude; 02-26-2016 at 07:09 AM.
Old 02-26-2016, 07:28 AM   #21
tampa8
Official Tivo User

Quote:

Don't mistake what that article is pointing out. The Reason HBO has 38 million subscribers and growing, that a vast majority do watch it 12 months a year is they have quality programming. To keep that, shutting down projects is what makes HBO great, not a weakness. For Vinyl specifically the first hour or more of the premere 2 hour episode was not good and likely they lost viewers. But if you stuck with it, the last 45 minutes or so and the next episode were very good and it shows promise.
Everyone has their likes and dislikes, for us and it seems those we hang with it's HBO shows we most talk about when when TV is being discussed.

tampa8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:27 AM   #22
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip1eX View Post
Well Tivo apps never as good as on other devices in my experience.
Netflix and Youtube on the Bolt are really well done and about as fast as any other device out there.

rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 10:43 AM   #23
TonyD79

Hulu on the bolt is equivalent to Hulu on other devices. Netflix and Amazon are the last UI and have worked well for me so far.

Old 02-26-2016, 11:13 AM   #24
NashGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampa8 View Post
Don't mistake what that article is pointing out. The Reason HBO has 38 million subscribers and growing, that a vast majority do watch it 12 months a year is they have quality programming. To keep that, shutting down projects is what makes HBO great, not a weakness. For Vinyl specifically the first hour or more of the premere 2 hour episode was not good and likely they lost viewers. But if you stuck with it, the last 45 minutes or so and the next episode were very good and it shows promise.
Everyone has their likes and dislikes, for us and it seems those we hang with it's HBO shows we most talk about when when TV is being discussed.
Oh, I agree that HBO has made a lot of high-quality TV (as evidenced by my excitement that TiVo finally got HBO GO)! I just think they've sort of lost their way a bit these days. Hopefully they bounce back.

TONS of people (and critics) love Game of Thrones but that sort of fantasy stuff just isn't my cup of tea. But I don't deny that it looks extremely well produced. The only shows that I enjoy on HBO these days are Girls (ending next year -- it's time), Togetherness and Silicon Valley. Westworld looks intriguing, if it ever arrives. I had thought about trying out Vinyl but, given the mixed reviews and the fact that my viewing plate is full right now, I'll probably pass.

Thanks For This Post:
Old 02-26-2016, 12:39 PM   #25
Eskimo1

I tried it twice had to activate twice and it locked up tivo once

I was excited to be able to watch old episodes of Game of Thrones and the Sopranos, but tivo has let me down again. I have a Romio that I thought I would use for Netflix and Amazon Prime, but it locks up too often, and I don't want to risk it locking up during a recording. I have the same experience with HBO Go. It is a shame. My $99 sony blu-ray does a better job with netflix and amazon. Hopefully it will get HBO Go. Maybe I should buy an apple tv... but should I really need more than a blu-ray and Tivo?

Eskimo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 01:17 PM   #26
trip1eX

The HBO GO UI has too many nested columns. I don't recall the UI being that way on the PS4.

Old 02-26-2016, 01:28 PM   #27
Marc

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Every.

Single.

Day.
Me, too. For some reason, HBO GO on my Roamio Pro keeps deactivating itself. I'm also on FiOS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 02-26-2016, 07:55 PM   #28
HD_Dude
I Want HD in my Car

I was all ready for a Friday night "Game of Thrones" marathon on HBO Go...wow, what an ordeal!

Loading, spinning circles, loading....refusing to recognize remote 'rewind,' 'fast forward' or 'play...' loading....audio cutting in and out....

And this is on BOTH the Tivo Roamio Pro and my Samsung 4K!

Ugly!

Lifetime Service on All

Old 02-27-2016, 06:45 PM   #29
NashGuy

Quote:
I was all ready for a Friday night "Game of Thrones" marathon on HBO Go...wow, what an ordeal!

Loading, spinning circles, loading....refusing to recognize remote 'rewind,' 'fast forward' or 'play...' loading....audio cutting in and out....

And this is on BOTH the Tivo Roamio Pro and my Samsung 4K!

Ugly!
Yeah, same for me this morning with Flight of the Conchords. So I switched to the Apple TV. Sigh. I don't know if the problem is HTML5 apps in general or just the Roamio's ability to run them, but YouTube, Plex and especially HBO GO all seem a little rickety on my Roamio in a way that Netflix and Amazon Video don't. I know Netflix is a native TiVo app, not HTML5. How about Amazon? The way its UI is drawn on the screen, it doesn't look like it's HTML5 to me.

Thanks For This Post:
Old 02-29-2016, 09:41 AM   #30
FitzAusTex

Also having to activate repeatedly on Time Warner. As far as "Resume", I found that if I back out of an episode using the Back button, I have Resume available. If I use Live TV, Guide, or any other button that abruptly kicks me out of HBO Go, then I don't have Resume available for that title.

FitzAusTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post: