TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-02-2012, 09:31 PM   #1
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

American Idol - Top 5 Perform - 05/02/2012

With all apologies to Ninny, Hollie won the night. The judges are correct when they state that she is peaking at just the right time. Both songs were great but I can't help but remember that River Deep, Mountain High was the song that got Pia sent home last year. That scares me a little.

Skylar gets my second place vote based primarily on her cover of Fortunate Son. I liked the second song but not as much as the judges.

Jessica come in third despite me not loving her versions of either tune. But regardless of whether I loved them or not they both proved that she is a powerhouse vocalist who can get her growl on for Proud Mary and then sing ever so tender with You Are So Beautiful.

Joshua - I liked the first half of both songs until he started screeching then he lost me on both of them. Of course he racked up yet another standing ovation, which if Skylar's count last week was right would make his 13th of the season.

Phillip - Phillip's lack of range and variety is becoming more apparent with each show that passes. Like last week I think he used backup vocalists to help mask the fact that he can't reliably hit the high notes as needed in Time of The Season.

Both Phillip and Joshua also gets points removed for the absolute awkwardness of their pre duet interview. Apparently Joshua forgot that he had to talk into the mic and not mumble.

Joshua also loses points for a bizarre, female style, plunging neckline on his shirt.

Honestly I do not know who will go home. I know that as usual I want Joshua to go home, if not Joshua then phillip.
Jessica has the most consistantly strong voice. Skylar and Hollie are peaking at the right time and have the best personalities.I would have no problem with them being the final three although if Phillip is getting the teen female votes then he may spoil it.

At this stage of the game though, win or lose, I think they are probably all assured of getting an album released.

Last edited by Maui : 05-02-2012 at 11:56 PM.
Maui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:10 PM   #2
Mr. Soze
The Devil you know

Pretty much on the same page again. I think Skylar's Dusty Springfield cover was the song of the night though. Hollie's River Deep, Mountain High was a close second. PP's The Letter was simply dreadful, a travesty. He should be gone for that, but the teenyboppers don't know the original classic. That song has to be up tempo to get the urgency of the message. I am actually mad at him.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:11 PM   #3
nyny523
Oy

Before the music:

Hollie's dress (for the first number) was AMAZING. That girl has a fabulous sense of style.

The flower was NOT a Tulip!!! It was a daffodil. Oy.

Who WERE those people on the bench?? That was...awkward. (But the discussion about it was hilarious).

Now for the music:
You know how we keep saying people shouldn't sing Adele on these shows? Well, they need to stop singing Tina Turner, too. NO ONE is Tina. Every performance falls short. Hollie was better than Jessica in the battle of the Tinas, but I wasn't overly impressed with either. Frankly, I thought everyone's round one song was just ok. Josh was the best of the bunch.

Round 2 was better for everyone, but Josh took that one too. Phillip trying to hit those high falsetto notes was painful. Overall, I thought Phillip was the worst tonight (yes, Hollie is NOT my candidate this week - shocking, I know, but she was pretty good tonight). I don't think he will go home because he will get the cute boy vote, but you never know. They really seem to be pushing for a girl to win this year.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:41 PM   #4
Johnny Dancing
Closet Rebel

Phil Phil picked the perfect song since he always mails it in.

i Don't get the Mantasia love by the judges.

Still sticking with my first live show prediction of p2 & Jessica final.

I don't see any of them having long term success except Jessica as a broadway singer.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:39 PM   #5
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?

That duet with Joshua and Phillip was cringe inducing. I agree that Hollie won the night but not sure if the praises from the judges will help or hurt her.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:43 AM   #6
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

Well, I didn't record this one so I'm listening to them on iTunes. This unfortunately means I can hear them but can't see them.

Hollie sounded decent on "Bleeding.."

But Skylar sounded cleaner, more pure and natural.

I've discovered that Joshua sounds pretty good when I'm not visually distracted by his peculiar mannerisms.

I'm starting to believe Phil is getting tired of the show and wants to go home. He did sound pretty decent on "Time of the Season." DMB did a cover of that at the concert I attended years ago and it sounded pretty amazing. Unfortunately, that means I'm comparing Phil and the Idol band to DMB, and Phil can't compare to the real thing.

Jessica Sanchez sounds overwrought and tiresome. She's trying to do this melismatic Luther Vandross thing but she lacks smoothness and purity of tone, making the songs sound like hard work. In other words, she's singing beyond her skill set. She has the natural ability but lacks the experience and training.

Again, this is strictly an audio evaluation since I can't see them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:58 AM   #7
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

It's a great season when I have no clue who will be leaving us tonight, but for me it should be Jessica.
I still love Joshua when he gets all wound up and screechy and I love him when he is not. I prefer him churchy, though and this was a good night, banter (or lack of) not withstanding.
And as much as I do not like P2 I thought he did a great job with everything- I'm old enough to have jammed to the original versions of both those songs and did not mind his redo at all. I like that he ignores everyone and just does what he likes. Great song choices.
Skylar and Hollie did great, we like them both.

I cannot abide Jessica and her wobbly vibrato.
At all. It almost offends me to listen to her.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:50 AM   #8
2004raptor

I didn't like much of the show for some reason, maybe it was my mood.
Hollie did the best to me.
I thought PP did great. I just like his singing style.
Jessica is very good but I'm growing tired of her for some reason, maybe it was the song choice?
Joshua - I think I broke my FF button on the remote.
Skylar - Pretty good.

Going Home - Joshua or Jessica, either one is fine by me.
2004raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:27 AM   #9
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

I didn't start the thread because I was way behind on viewing and then was just so underwhelmed that I did a FFW on a bunch of it. Skylar halfway through her first song because it was good but just sounded as she always does. Joshua I'm to the point that the first drawn out note he does makes me almost angry so I just immediately FFW him. I couldn't even make myself sit though the duet with Phillip. Ugh.

Jessica annoys me more every week. She does NOT have the performance capability/showmanship or the general Tina swagger to pull that song off. She looked ridiculous trying.

As soon as I saw a spoiler for song choices tonight (just a song list, not who was singing each), I guessed about all of them. I didn't guess P2 doing The Letter and I loved his rendition! However, having seen DMB do Time of the Season live many many times and it being probably my favorite cover they do on tour, I was majorly disappointed in Phillip and the idol band for this song. (Jesda nailed that one)

Overall, I just am finding myself caring less and less as the weeks progress.
I did still do a handful of votes for P2 via the Idol online voting.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:08 AM   #10
tiams

I thought Hollie and Skylar won the night. I loved Hollie's second song. Phil just does nothing for me. He sounded like something original in the beginning, now it's the same thing over and over with no melody.

Why did J-Lo refuse to give Hollie a standing O when Randy and Steven were standing on each side of her? It even looked like she was pulling on Randy's sleeve to get him to sit back down.

That women's shirt Joshua had on -

Phil was wearing drab olive green over a grey shirt and blah pants. Come on dude!

I wonder how much time to prepare their duet Joshua and Phil really had? Joshua said it was just given to him and he forgot some of the words.

Do they have teleprompters with the words?
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:35 AM   #11
David Platt
Have an A-1 Day!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshopgrl View Post
Joshua I'm to the point that the first drawn out note he does makes me almost angry so I just immediately FFW him. I couldn't even make myself sit though the duet with Phillip. Ugh.
All I could think about while I was watching that performance was whether your hatred of Joshua would trump your love of Phil and you'd FF, or your love of Phil would win out and you'd watch it.
David Platt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:45 AM   #12
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post

Joshua also loses points for a bizarre, female style, plunging neckline on his shirt.

Last week he was wearing an "indoor scarf".
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:10 AM   #13
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Platt View Post
All I could think about while I was watching that performance was whether your hatred of Joshua would trump your love of Phil and you'd FF, or your love of Phil would win out and you'd watch it.
Sad that not even my love for Phil could make me sit through Joshua. I did for the first part since Phillip started it out but the second it switched to Joshua my finger hit the button.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:11 AM   #14
Mr. Soze
The Devil you know

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyny523 View Post
Before the music:

Hollie's dress (for the first number) was AMAZING. That girl has a fabulous sense of style.
She wore it again for the trio too. Mrs. S. LOVED it, and said she was going to Google it.

Quote:
You know how we keep saying people shouldn't sing Adele on these shows? Well, they need to stop singing Tina Turner, too. NO ONE is Tina. Every performance falls short. Hollie was better than Jessica in the battle of the Tinas, but I wasn't overly impressed with either.
Funnily enough, Tony Kornheiser had played "River Deep, Mountain High" briefly on his show yesterday - I listen at work - and my controller was in my office. I remarked that it was one of my all time favorite songs, and she told me she'd never heard it. I played it on my iPhone to blank stares. She's in her 40's - WTF. Anyway, when Hollie said she was going to do it, I expected to hate it for the same "you ain't Tina and NEVER WILL BE ANYWHERE CLOSE". That said she was pretty damn good, far better than Jessica who sang "Proud Mary" very well, but just looked silly and awkward trying to run around like Tina.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:34 AM   #15
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

I am 47 and I never knew the song until the last couple of years watching these shows. From what I can find out online it was not a big hit when it was released in 1966, when I was only 2 years old.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:22 AM   #16
nyny523
Oy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Soze View Post
She wore it again for the trio too. Mrs. S. LOVED it, and said she was going to Google it.
Did she find it? If so, please share!!!
Old 05-03-2012, 11:44 AM   #17
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Soze View Post
The black one? I can't remember which song she sang which dress for.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:46 AM   #18
nyny523
Oy

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshopgrl
The black one? I can't remember which song she sang which dress for.
No - the colorful one.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:54 AM   #19
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:
No - the colorful one.
This one?

Old 05-03-2012, 11:55 AM   #20
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
No - the colorful one.
This one?

I'd keep checking this site as they seem to keep talking about her clothes every week and tell the brand.

http://www.stylebistro.com/Hollie+Cavanagh/Clothes
Old 05-03-2012, 11:58 AM   #21
nyny523
Oy

That's the one...thanks for the link!
Old 05-03-2012, 11:58 AM   #22
tem

Skylar's choice turning "Fortunate Son" into a country ditty was quite lame. The meaning of the song was completely lost on her.
tem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:02 PM   #23
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by tem View Post
Skylar's choice turning "Fortunate Son" into a country ditty was quite lame. The meaning of the song was completely lost on her.
So how does changing the music change the meaning exactly?
Old 05-03-2012, 12:15 PM   #24
SNJpage1

Phil has got to go. He sounds the same on everything he sings. He had a really hard time hitting the high notes on his song choice last night.
Joshua is really going down hill for me but they keep saying he is so great. half the time it sounds like he's eaither screaming into the might or screeching. I would never listen to a whole album of him singing.He also seemed homophobic in the way he pushed Philip away when he tried to put his arm around him.
Hollie to me is the one who is showing the most improvement and I hope she makes it to the finials.
Jessica is hard to watch at times. I think its because of her age.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:17 PM   #25
tem

I think that her tone, phrasing and overall 'nice' country-fying of the song detracted from what the song really means. It's not a stupid Kelly Pickler song. The lyrics, intent and delivery mean something and the way she did it was more "flag waving" than the anti-war anthem it really is.
tem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:19 PM   #26
nyny523
Oy

I thought it was a weird choice for her, too.

I wonder if she really understood the lyrics she was singing. I think not. It is not a "proud to be an American" song that Country music is known for. It is a very anti-establishment anthem.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:01 PM   #27
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?

These standing O's for Joshua are getting out of hand. Also JLo calling Joshua the best singer in 50 years is just plain silly.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:02 PM   #28
Mr. Soze
The Devil you know

Quote:
This one?

I'd keep checking this site as they seem to keep talking about her clothes every week and tell the brand.

http://www.stylebistro.com/Hollie+Cavanagh/Clothes

Old 05-03-2012, 07:05 PM   #29
mostman

I'm willing to bet that Joshua sounds a million times better live. He has that kind of voice and that would explain the judges gushing over him. It's also the case that Jimmy has commented on how he has differed from the judges on Joshua. Problem for
Joshua is that the voters are watching on TV - and it really doesn't translate.

Edit: watching results. Jimmy liked him this time. So who knows...

Last edited by mostman : 05-03-2012 at 07:13 PM.
mostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:17 PM   #30
Sadara
huh?

Quote:
Sad that not even my love for Phil could make me sit through Joshua. I did for the first part since Phillip started it out but the second it switched to Joshua my finger hit the button.
Ditto that!!
Sadara is offline   Reply With Quote